Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

lack of asain/ oriental look

• wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I will tell you what is wrong with ESO They have anthropomorphic cats but no anthropomorphic wolves or bears. Also Khajiit can become werewolves, even though they can be considered werecats. Also why are there no werebears? Why can't Wardens have wolf ultimates instead of a Senche Tiger or a Wolf?
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    "The first Nords to take over Skyrim eventually ran into early Bretons and noted that they looked remarkably elven''
    Can you please give me the source? I have never heard of this.

High Rock chapters in Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st and 3rd editions.
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also if anyone remember ES: Oblivion

Goldbrand.

That is all.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    TheMaster wrote: »
    There's a "squint" option and plenty of races have tan skin options. The Soul-Shriven Swords look like katanas. Not sure what more you could possibly want.

Epicanthic folds and a more Asian nose shape would be a start. Reducing a very broad range of ethnicities to squinty eyes and tan skin is really racist.
    There's a "squint" option and plenty of races have tan skin options. The Soul-Shriven Swords look like katanas. Not sure what more you could possibly want.

Epicanthic folds and a more Asian nose shape would be a start. Reducing a very broad range of ethnicities to squinty eyes and tan skin is really racist.
    That's the idea. Nords with squint eyes or Bretons with dark brown skin are not a thing in TES lore, get over it.

People can have all sorts of combinations of traits from their parents. Race and appearance isn't something that is that concrete. This is true in The Elder Scrolls as well. Lorebooks in setting point out that people have traits from both of their parents regardless of race (although for some reason it treats people in setting like Pokemon na. Bretons exist. Considering the amount of interaction between all the people of Tamriel and the fact that interracial families exist, we should have the option to create Bretons with dark brown skin and Nords with epicanthic folds.

That's the idea. Nords with squint eyes or Bretons with dark brown skin are not a thing in TES lore, get over it.

People can have all sorts of combinations of traits from their parents. Race and appearance isn't something that is that concrete. This is true in The Elder Scrolls as well. Lorebooks in setting point out that people have traits from both of their parents regardless of race. Bretons exist. Considering the amount of interaction between all the people of Tamriel and the fact that interracial families exist, we should have the option to create Bretons with dark brown skin and Nords with epicanthic folds.
    ''Lorebooks in setting point out that people have traits from both of their parents regardless of race.''
    There is 0 evidence to support the word ''traits'' in the book refers to physical traits.

''Bretons exist.''
    Still they don't have any visual elven trait, only a gift in magicka and intellect.

The use of the word "traits" is not the point. Have you ever read Notes on Racial Phylogeny in setting? While for some reason it treats people like Pokemon and says they mainly look like their mothers, it notes resemblance to the father as well.

As for Bretons, lore regarding them includes stories of early Nordic encounters with them. The first Nords to take over Skyrim eventually ran into early Bretons and noted that they looked remarkably elven -- so much so that they decided to attack them until they began pleading for their lives in Nedic. Most Bretons as of the Second Era look more human. Bretons are more canon evidence that these things aren't set in stone.

People can have all sorts of combinations of traits from their parents. Race and appearance isn't something that is that concrete. This is true in The Elder Scrolls as well. Lorebooks in setting point out that people have traits from both of their parents regardless of race (although for some reason it treats people in setting like Pokemon na. Bretons exist. Considering the amount of interaction between all the people of Tamriel and the fact that interracial families exist, we should have the option to create Bretons with dark brown skin and Nords with epicanthic folds.

People can have all sorts of combinations of traits from their parents. Race and appearance isn't something that is that concrete. This is true in The Elder Scrolls as well. Lorebooks in setting point out that people have traits from both of their parents regardless of race. Bretons exist. Considering the amount of interaction between all the people of Tamriel and the fact that interracial families exist, we should have the option to create Bretons with dark brown skin and Nords with epicanthic folds.
    ''Lorebooks in setting point out that people have traits from both of their parents regardless of race.''
    There is 0 evidence to support the word ''traits'' in the book refers to physical traits.

''Bretons exist.''
    Still they don't have any visual elven trait, only a gift in magicka and intellect.

The use of the word "traits" is not the point. Have you ever read Notes on Racial Phylogeny in setting? While for some reason it treats people like Pokemon and says they mainly look like their mothers, it notes resemblance to the father as well.

As for Bretons, lore regarding them includes stories of early Nordic encounters with them. The first Nords to take over Skyrim eventually ran into early Bretons and noted that they looked remarkably elven -- so much so that they decided to attack them until they began pleading for their lives in Nedic. Most Bretons as of the Second Era look more human. Bretons are more canon evidence that these things aren't set in stone.
    The book says that traces of the father's race may be present, not that they resemble their father physiologically.

"The first Nords to take over Skyrim eventually ran into early Bretons and noted that they looked remarkably elven''
    Can you please give me the source? I have never heard of this.

I looked it up here: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Breton

see also: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Bretons:_Mongrels_or_Paragons?

the revelant sources are in the wiki. note that it is suspected that bretons are descended from Aldmeri/Nedic strain and this is used to explain their affinity with magkica.
    Edited by wolfie1.0. on August 21, 2017 5:07AM
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farkaz wrote: »
    awedgmaxbeq6.jpg

what sword and hat is that. I'm assuming the rest is Akavari for the clothing
    When asked what he would do for a Klondike bar. Grand Moff Tarkin said "why I would blow up Alderaan."
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP asks a one-sentence question.
    Entire forum goes batty and starts arguing.
    Yep.
    ....Also why are there no werebears? Why can't Wardens have wolf ultimates instead of a Senche Tiger or a Wolf?
    There totally should be werebears. Just sayin'.

Edited by SydneyGrey on August 21, 2017 5:13AM
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, not enough Proxima Centauri B look. Where are tentacles, where are telepathic skills?
  • Kammakazi
    Kammakazi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Explain this. @rynth

AsianESO.jpg
    Edited by Kammakazi on August 21, 2017 5:21AM
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    awedgmaxbeq6.jpg

Is that hat in game?
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rynth Please stop. You know nothing about Asian culture. Asian people don't beg other people to make games (or movies or any other kind of entertainment) representing their culture. If they want Asian culture to be represented in a game, they make the damn game themselves. Take a look around, they have a well developed game industry, they have made a *** loads of games about their culture, they don't need some random dude who doesn't even respect their culture to cry about how Asian people are not being represented properly in a game they didn't make. This is so disrespectful towards Asian people, their heritage, their culture, their game industry and their own ability to create.

Mods, please close this stupid thread.

You're overreacting.

Oh I am not. It's so disrespectful towards Asian people if someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry, because doing so implies that Asian can't create things themselves, which is not true. If they want themselves to be represented in a game, they will freaking make their own game, and make sure that they do it right.

Is this a joke? You seem pretty serious, but what you're saying makes so little sense, I'm having trouble believing it's serious.

His complaint doesn't imply that at all. Like, not even in the slightest sense of the word "imply." I guarantee you no one came into this thread and thought "wow, OP is implying Asian people can't make things."
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kammakazi wrote: »
    Explain this. @rynth

AsianESO.jpg

oh *** how did you get that ??
  • Altaire
    Altaire
    ✭✭✭
    Shave a
    ✭✭✭Khajiit
    you got a Asian that is ashamed.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @rynth Please stop. You know nothing about Asian culture. Asian people don't beg other people to make games (or movies or any other kind of entertainment) representing their culture. If they want Asian culture to be represented in a game, they make the damn game themselves. Take a look around, they have a well developed game industry, they have made a *** loads of games about their culture, they don't need some random dude who doesn't even respect their culture to cry about how Asian people are not being represented properly in a game they didn't make. This is so disrespectful towards Asian people, their heritage, their culture, their game industry and their own ability to create.

You're overreacting.

Oh I am not. It's so disrespectful towards Asian people if someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry, because doing so implies that Asian can't create things themselves, which is not true. If they want themselves to be represented in a game, they will freaking make their own game, and make sure that they do it right.
    That is your interpretation. It says nothing definite about what the OP implied. He most likely is just sad that can't make the character he wants, because there is no 'real' asian style in ESO.

I for one am glad because of it. Most games with asian style characters, haircuts and graphics are just childish and over the top. GW2 being the prime example. Just my honest personal opinion.

• RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    awedgmaxbeq6.jpg

holy hell where did you get that hat/helmet? I NEED THIS
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »

You're overreacting.

That is your interpretation. It says nothing definite about what the OP implied. He most likely is just sad that can't make the character he wants, because there is no 'real' asian style in ESO.

I for one am glad because of it. Most games with asian style characters, haircuts and graphics are just childish and over the top. GW2 being the prime example. Just my honest personal opinion.

Nah, he's right in this one and you aren't.

And well - too bad for OP? Very sad? And I'm very sad I can't make a cockroach looking character with 12 pony tails, so what? Apparently, Tamriel doesn't have those, it also happens not to have Asians. Probably, because there's no Asia on Nirn.
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    rynth wrote: »
    I was wondering what is up with a lack of an oriental/Asian look heck even a Samurai like hair cut

Don't you want a playable panda race soon as well?
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Artis wrote: »

You're overreacting.

And well - too bad for OP? Very sad? And I'm very sad I can't make a cockroach looking character with 12 pony tails, so what? Apparently, Tamriel doesn't have those, it also happens not to have Asians. Probably, because there's no Asia on Nirn.
    As far as I see he didn't state any facts. Just his interpretation. You might agree, but that doesn't make it true. When I read the OP's post I didn't once think he qas being disrespectful of Asian culture. What does that tell you about perspective?

OP might be wrong about what Asian culture really is like, but that is more ignorance than disrespect.

• hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're overreacting.

Is this a joke? You seem pretty serious, but what you're saying makes so little sense, I'm having trouble believing it's serious.

His complaint doesn't imply that at all. Like, not even in the slightest sense of the word "imply." I guarantee you no one came into this thread and thought "wow, OP is implying Asian people can't make things."

Oh? OP complained about the lack of "asain" look (whatever the **** "asain" means), despite the fact that Tamriel as an established universe doesn't have any race representing Asian people. The only one influenced by Asian culture is the Akaviri (we don't know how they actually look) but they are from Akavir and they are already extinct. Then OP proceeded to complain that the game has races representing black and white people (Redguards, Imperials, Nords, Bretons) but no race representing Asian people, so OP wanted the devs to add "Asian look" just for the sake of diversity, screw the lore, screw the authenticity, who gives a **** about the 15-year well-established lore behind the wonderfully crafted Elder Scrolls universe, who gives a **** about the authenticity, right? Asian people don't cry about how a game doesn't have a race representing them, if Elder Scrolls universe doesn't have a race representing Asian people, then that universe doesn't have a race representing Asian people, it's freaking disrespectful to the authenticity and the lore if you add something extremely out of place just to fill in the racial quota, and it's freaking disrespectful towards Asian people and their culture because again, if they want themselves to be featured in a game, they make the damn game themselves.
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought Dunmer resembles Asian / Chinese...
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're overreacting.

As far as I see he didn't state any facts. Just his interpretation. You might agree, but that doesn't make it true. When I read the OP's post I didn't once think he qas being disrespectful of Asian culture. What does that tell you about perspective?

OP might be wrong about what Asian culture really is like, but that is more ignorance than disrespect.

He might not mean to disrespect Asian culture, but his action (complaining about how the game has races representing black and white people but no race representing Asian people, and asking devs to add things to represent "Asian look" while the lore and the authenticity of the universe don't support it) is disrespectful towards Asian people and their culture. Also his inability to spell the word "Asian" right is annoying.
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Oh and: GO Back To Facebook and overract about everything not relevant to eeven real life, over there. Kthxbye.

You're overreacting.

They spend too much time on FB where everyone's offended by everything and everyone LIKE EVERYONE is a racist. *eyeroll* This is just annoying me. The *Everything ever is racist* and resulting drama 9/10 perpetuated by 'woke' white people. barf.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You're overreacting.

He might not mean to disrespect Asian culture, but his action (complaining about how the game has races representing black and white people but no race representing Asian people, and asking devs to add things to represent "Asian look" while the lore and the authenticity of the universe don't support it) is disrespectful towards Asian people and their culture. Also his inability to spell the word "Asian" right is annoying.
    I can see why you could think that would be disrespectful. Still, knowing there is no intent, why feel disrespected? To me, you are still overreacting. I live in a country where people call you disrespectful of culture and racist, even when you disagree with them on the most trivial of matters... And let me tell you, it annoys the crap out of me. In stead of acting like a victim and call racist and disrespect, just try and clear things up in a normal way without pulling the victim card.

By the way, you are using a whole other argument. Your first point was:
    "It's so disrespectful towards Asian people if someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry, because doing so implies that Asian can't create things themselves." Which to me is a really far-fetched implication. As if this has anything to do with being able or unable to create another game... I fail to see any connection between possible asian influences in ESO and what you just typed in that response.

• WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're overreacting.

I can see why you could think that would be disrespectful. Still, knowing there is no intent, why feel disrespected? To me, you are still overreacting. I live in a country where people call you disrespectful of culture and racist, even when you disagree with them on the most trivial of matters... And let me tell you, it annoys the crap out of me. In stead of acting like a victim and call racist and disrespect, just try and clear things up in a normal way without pulling the victim card.

"It's so disrespectful towards Asian people if someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry, because doing so implies that Asian can't create things themselves." Which to me is a really far-fetched implication. As if this has anything to do with being able or unable to create another game... I fail to see any connection between possible asian influences in ESO and what you just typed in that response.

Seems like you failed to see Dunmer architecture have similarities with traditional Chinese one.

Disclaimer: feel free to call me cccrem or nerd. I just made my point.
    Edited by WaltherCarraway on August 21, 2017 12:43PM
  • seedubsrun
    seedubsrun
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »

OMFG PLEASE!

They were JUST SAYING that within the CONSTRAINTS OF THE GAME (you know, CONTEXT) there is a setting you can try.

REAL issues get ignored when people make big scenes out of contextual, tiny things like this.

It's not fing racist. Go back to facebook and post a meme or sth.

Reducing an entire ethnicity to their most stereotyped traits is in fact racist. It just is. Especially when considering that Asia includes Middle Eastern countries, what the average person would consider "Asian" countries, India, and freakin Russia as well. There's really no such thing as an "Asian look".

Two other things:
    1) Sure, on the spectrum of things that can be considered racist, this may be on the lower, more just ignorant end, but it's important that people recognize these things as furthering stereotypes also furthers racism. And on that note..
    2) An ignorant person can and does say racist things without meaning it. Doesn't necessarily mean they're racist but that they need to educate themselves better. Many people are a product of their surroundings and upbringing which can include antiquated notions of race identity. It's not their fault they were fed bad info growing up but it is their fault for not rectifying that with knowledge and having meaningful interactions with people of other races as they get older. Done.
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey OP... what exactly do you mean by an "Asian" look... b/c Asia is a pretty friggen big continent that encompasses many diverse physical features and "looks"... maybe you meant to refer to Eastern Asian.... or more specifically the stereotypical Japanese/Korean/Chinese features?

Also the word "Oriental" should not be used to refer to people...

Also all those people saying that OP's comments are racist are going slightly overboard here... it seems more like misinformed ignorance rather than blatant racism... BTW I am a "North American-Asian" FWIW...
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You're overreacting.

Seems like you failed to see Dunmer architecture have similarities with traditional Chinese one.

Seems like you failed to understand my post. That is not even a point I was arguing... I'm just addressing @hmsdragonfly 's post. I know there are plenty of asian/eastern influences to be seen in ESO.

• runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Khajiits are asian. However due to the excessive amounts of fur, this is very hard, if not impossible to see. I can assure you that this is indeed the case tho. According to maiq, they are very very asian.

jsvIUvI.jpg?1
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're overreacting.

Seems like you failed to understand my post. That is not even a point I was arguing... I'm just addressing @hmsdragonfly 's post. I know there are plenty of asian/eastern influences to be seen in ESO.

My mistake. Sorry
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made an Asian looking dude..

lwN3ROq.jpg
    Guide to making $$$ in Tamriel: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370618/guide-to-making-gold-in-eso/p1?new=1
    Cost analysis for potential ESO players: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367919/cost-analysis-for-brand-new-potential-pc-eso-players#latest
    Warden Bow Healer/DPS Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-bow-healerdps-hybrid/
    Warden "The Warladin" Healer/Tank Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-the-warladin-healertank-hybrid-build/
    Warden Stamina DPS Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-dps-build/
    Server - PC/NA
    Vhevet - (S) Night Blade/Female/Orsimer
    Ecaer - (M) Templar/Female/Breton
    Captain Beaster Bunny - (S) Warden/Male/Red Guard
    Ezaera - (M) Sorcerer/Female/Altmer
    Ecaeri - (M) Warden/Female/Argonian
    Dun-and-Dunmer - (M) Dragon Knight/Male/Dunmer
    What Can Go Wong - (S) Night Blade/Male/Bosmer
    Izaer - (M) Templar/Male/Breton
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My Breton is black

ps7Nksk.jpg
    Guide to making $$$ in Tamriel: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370618/guide-to-making-gold-in-eso/p1?new=1
    Cost analysis for potential ESO players: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367919/cost-analysis-for-brand-new-potential-pc-eso-players#latest
    Warden Bow Healer/DPS Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-bow-healerdps-hybrid/
    Warden "The Warladin" Healer/Tank Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-the-warladin-healertank-hybrid-build/
    Warden Stamina DPS Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-dps-build/
    Server - PC/NA
    Vhevet - (S) Night Blade/Female/Orsimer
    Ecaer - (M) Templar/Female/Breton
    Captain Beaster Bunny - (S) Warden/Male/Red Guard
    Ezaera - (M) Sorcerer/Female/Altmer
    Ecaeri - (M) Warden/Female/Argonian
    Dun-and-Dunmer - (M) Dragon Knight/Male/Dunmer
    What Can Go Wong - (S) Night Blade/Male/Bosmer
    Izaer - (M) Templar/Male/Breton