Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

lack of asain/ oriental look

• rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you know perhaps this thread should be closed, lol all I asked/noted was a lack of Asian should have said Japanese type look cause I wanted create a samurai looking samurai NO NEW RACE, NO NEW CULTURE, but just some skin tone changes and facial changes.

but all and all I thank you very much for the responses some of you can now get off your high horse (you know who I'm talking about, I think we all know who)

as to the picture Tyrobag posted on the It is the Tsaesci style light armor. The motif has not been released yet. This picture came from the Morrowind PTS, when the War Maiden armor used the style. We don't know yet when the motif will be released. Nothing of this style in available in game. GOD I HOPE THEY ADD THIS!!
    When asked what he would do for a Klondike bar. Grand Moff Tarkin said "why I would blow up Alderaan."
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah don't worry, I'm done with this nonsense. Brick walls and all that.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A culture similar to Asian doesn't exist on Tamriel. You'll have to cross the ocean for that.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Megabear wrote: »
    Megabear wrote: »
    Hmm maybe they can officially add a race based on Asians into the lore. Maybe next single player game.

Noooooo! Leave the elder scrolls alone. Don't let it be corrupted by neckbeards and weaboos looking for virtual waifus. PLEASE.

I have a suspicion that they will add Asian-ish race into Elder Scrolls lore though. Eventually. Personally I don't care either way.

Well, its good you dont care, because your suspicion is wrong... They arent just going to throw in a new race for no reason.

rynth wrote: »

as to the picture Tyrobag posted on the It is the Tsaesci style light armor. The motif has not been released yet. This picture came from the Morrowind PTS, when the War Maiden armor used the style. We don't know yet when the motif will be released. Nothing of this style in available in game. GOD I HOPE THEY ADD THIS!!

Also, if you're interested, here are the datamined Icons for the rest of the armor: en.uesp.net/wiki/Category:Online-Icons-Armor-Tsaesci

Very samurai-esuqe.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheMaster wrote: »
    And the lore doesn't say there's no race representing Asians. Point me to where it says that.

Um, it says it in every TES game ever made?

The only human races in Tamriel are white, brown, and black. There used to be silver-skinned too but they went extinct.

Nords are based on Scandanevians.

Bretons are based on the French.

Imperials are based on Romans.

Redguards are based on North (and maybe East) Africans.

You can't suddenly change or make things up.
    So never? Good to know.

Lack of information is not confirmation. The presence of features from one real race doesn't deny the possibility of features from others.

We've met all the races in Tamriel...

That's the literal definition of confirmation.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on August 22, 2017 2:59AM
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the lore doesn't say there's no race representing Asians. Point me to where it says that.

Um, it says it in every TES game ever made?

The only human races in Tamriel are white, brown, and black. There used to be silver-skinned too but they went extinct.

Nords are based on Scandanevians.

Bretons are based on the French.

Imperials are based on Romans.

Redguards are based on North (and maybe East) Africans.

You can't suddenly change or make things up.
    So never? Good to know.

Lack of information is not confirmation. The presence of features from one real race doesn't deny the possibility of features from others.

We've met all the races in Tamriel...

That's the literal definition of confirmation.
    Not what I was talking about. There's no confirmation that the known races absolutely cannot exhibit features from Asians. The fact that they haven't in what we've seen so far is not confirmation.
  • Dracofyre
    Dracofyre
    ✭✭✭✭
    it need dozen more facial hair styles, i would play one as asian. Guild Wars had it right but with way too limited hair styles.

one of style i wanted and it not in the game, Dr. Strange's fu munchu goatie.
    the ones ESOi had isnt even that close.
    Star trek online's Klingons had best goaties style.
    Edited by Dracofyre on August 22, 2017 4:09AM
  • Kurkikohtaus
    Kurkikohtaus
    ✭✭✭
    There are Asian traits in the game.

I thought prosperous was removed.
    TES races are unique and can't be likened to a single people from real life; they draw their inspiration from many cultures throughout history.

In other words they are a mishmash of ethnic stereotypes.

#AKAVIRILIVESMATTER

Edited by Kurkikohtaus on August 22, 2017 4:42AM
  • datgladiatah
    datgladiatah
    ✭✭✭
    Considering in all TES games that you can make your race basically any skin tone it's absurd that you can't picture asian looking people being in this world. I'm also 100% sure that there are human culture in Akavir and many implications on extinct nedic sub-sects (like humans in Craglorn or Black Marsh), and that it's 100% ridiculous to say that the Imperials based 100% on Roman culture when the Reman Dynasty was completely built on Akaviri culture and warriors. Like what's already been brought up, there are Colovian, Nibaneyan, Nedic, Atmoran, Yokudan, Direnni-hybrid, Ra Gada, etc etc. of different human cultures and racial that could have originally looked like just about anything, because it's a fantasy game built on many many different facets and very disconnected with the idea that "Bretons are like the French!". It's much more complicated than that, but what isn't complicated is Asian looking people being in a fantasy game because you can't imagine that White-as-Default is not definitive canon.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    yeah but you have looks that are more middle eastern/Nubian looks for redguard, Britons well looks like white Europeans, Nords look like swidish, Danish, Viking look. Imperials take on a more ancient Roman like look with the nose, skin tone, and facial features.

Just saying adding Asian looks doesn't hurt emersion or anything, just something I noticed when I tried to make a Samurai looking human no hair do, skin tone, or facial features.

not trying to say anything about racism or imply it just something I noticed and well for myself I'd like to be able to play in game.

I'm of Polish ancestry and I note a distinct lack of Slavic options.

I have to admit that I'd like to see more overlap, myself. The heights are too separated; the eyes for nords in general seem very tiny.... but it's a game
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not suggesting any of that. I'm telling you that appearances of said races have changed several times. Therefore, you cannot say they always have to look a certain way.
    So you are not saying that we should change the appearance of said races to look more Asian, it means we shouldn't change the appearance of the said races. Ok to be more frank, there are 2 scenarios:
    1) We should not change the appearance of said races so they will look more Asian.
    2) We should change the appearance of said racesso they will look more Asian.
    You go with scenario 1 or 2?
    You're saying you're not speaking for them whilst continuing to speak for them at the same time. No one in their right mind is going to consider a request for Asian features in a western game to be disrespectful. Period. Saying they can't make their own things would be disrespectful, but that is not what the OP is saying or implying. You don't want this because you feel it's unnecessary and feel it goes against the lore. Stop trying to hide that behind some kind of respect for the Asian culture. None of what you're saying is logical.
    No one in the right mind is going to consider a request for Asian features in a western game when it is extremely out of place for no creative reason is disrespectful towards Asian people? Asian people do. Because to them that kind of request does imply that they can't make their own things so they are desperate to be represented in someone else' work. It does imply that way. Period.You are not in the place to say if it's illogical or not, you don't live there, you don't know what is disrespectful towards them and what is not.
    That's not what I meant. I meant that the implication of Asian features being necessary is stupid. OP's request is fine. I personally don't care either way, but there's nothing wrong with the request.
    The request is not wrong, but it is disrespectful towards Asian people. It is already established that there's no Asian-looking race in ESO (Akaviri might be Japanese looking might be snake looking people but you can't see them by the time of ESO they are extinct), so requesting an Asian-looking race in ESO (although the lore and the authenticity don't support it) is utterly stupid.
    Still speaking for them I see. Your explanation is nonsense.
    lol the act of explaining why it is disrespectful towards them is speaking for them? So, if I explain why the act of tipping in Japan is disrespectful towards Japanese, it means I am speaking for Japanesse? Nonsense? You probably think "tipping = disrespectful in Japan" is nonsense, but then again, you don't live there, you don't know.
    They have never looked like Asians, but that doesn't mean they can't ever look like Asians. Not every character of every race looks the same. In the future, a character of one race may exhibit common features of an Asian. There is nothing that says this cannot happen.

They shouldn't look like Asians, changing their appearance to look more like Asian is screwing up with the authenticity of the whole franchise when it is already established that those races are not based on Asian and they don't look like Asian.
    --
    Btw I am done here. Keep your opinion lol I don't give two flying fucurus about what you think.
    Edited by hmsdragonfly on August 22, 2017 7:11AM
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, we are talking about Asian facial features? Sorry I misunderstood.

Although ESO doesn't do the best job with it, there's precedent for Asian features in mainly Bosmer (possibly other Mer as well) and Redguard (come on, one of their most prominent heroes is called Gaiden Shinji).

Although the East-Asian/Japanese influences have been somewhat watered down for the Redguard, and they have since been more representative of North-African/Middle-East people.
    origin_cyrus_page_10.jpg

On the other hand, Bosmer only saw a shift to more Asian features with Skyrim IIRC.

latest?cb=20120124104154

TES Legends also features Bosmer artwork that blends a bit into Native American looks. Sorry for the low quality, can't take a screenshot myself right now.

latest?cb=20160622111618

However, even though we haven't seen explicitly Asian features in other races, it is conceivable that there are. Each race has a range of different features, e.g. skin color. Even in ESO you can create Bretons that are darker than the lightest Redguard. Mapping TES races 1:1 to real world ethnicities is a trap nobody interested in the lore should fall in to.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Din't hold your breath about Akavir. If nothing changes and they don't come up with another explanation and all : Akavir is the future of Tamriel, and the hints have always been in the game. And I'm not making this up, a writer who used to work on lore and stopped after morrowind said it himself.
    Xvorg wrote: »
    If you want a game about Asian culture, why don't you start with a script instead? Then I could go a criticize you for not including Mayans or Incas or Zulu people...

Lol really? Argonian pyramids and troll pyramids from WoW don't remind you of anything?
  • Blonde_Ambition93
    Regarding a previous post on "Egyptian influences in Nordic culture" - The draugr aren't mummies and there is no Egyptian influence....

The dead are embalmed and interred in burial cairns just as they were in real-world Nordic cultures.

And I've seen some people talking about interracial breeding in TES. Until ESO, it was well documented that the ospring of such unions took the race of the mother. ESO itself shouldn't really be favoured over original lore... http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Notes_on_Racial_Phylogeny

This is how Breton's exist as they are. They're not "half-elves" as far as most RPGs are concerned.
    They are still Men, not Mer..

The Breton's were often kept as slaves by the Direnni living in High Rock in the 1st era; the Altmer would often breed with these slaves. So the baby would retain its slave mothers race, but had a natural affinity for magic and eventually, "yada yada yada", "etc etc etc"... And Breton's are now as they are - still Men, just with an interesting upgrade.
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a "squint" option and plenty of races have tan skin options. The Soul-Shriven Swords look like katanas. Not sure what more you could possibly want.
    There's a "squint" option and plenty of races have tan skin options. The Soul-Shriven Swords look like katanas. Not sure what more you could possibly want.

Epicanthic folds and a more Asian nose shape would be a start. Reducing a very broad range of ethnicities to squinty eyes and tan skin is really racist.

That's not even close to the definition of racist.

There are no real-world races in this game and the models are not realistic. There are only traits from each race. There are Asian traits in the game. You're not going to get variation in epicanthic folds because there isn't that much detail in the models. And what the hell is an "Asian nose shape"? Their noses look the same as everyone else's with variations in size and position, which you can change in the game. Stop trying to make this issue more complex than it really is.

Another kid tryna make excuse after he enjoyed a bit of pleasure from his own racial slur.
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    l3vR2C0FSDudaWere.gif
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many costume and outfit in game inspired by Asian armor, clothing and weapons. There are websites where you can check all of the costume and motif. There are also people in this thread post their character that look Asian to me so sure there are ways to create your character look like that.
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artis wrote: »
    Koensol wrote: »
    @rynth Please stop. You know nothing about Asian culture. Asian people don't beg other people to make games (or movies or any other kind of entertainment) representing their culture. If they want Asian culture to be represented in a game, they make the damn game themselves. Take a look around, they have a well developed game industry, they have made a *** loads of games about their culture, they don't need some random dude who doesn't even respect their culture to cry about how Asian people are not being represented properly in a game they didn't make. This is so disrespectful towards Asian people, their heritage, their culture, their game industry and their own ability to create.

Mods, please close this stupid thread.

You're overreacting.

Oh I am not. It's so disrespectful towards Asian people if someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry, because doing so implies that Asian can't create things themselves, which is not true. If they want themselves to be represented in a game, they will freaking make their own game, and make sure that they do it right.
    That is your interpretation. It says nothing definite about what the OP implied. He most likely is just sad that can't make the character he wants, because there is no 'real' asian style in ESO.

I for one am glad because of it. Most games with asian style characters, haircuts and graphics are just childish and over the top. GW2 being the prime example. Just my honest personal opinion.

Nah, he's right in this one and you aren't.

And well - too bad for OP? Very sad? And I'm very sad I can't make a cockroach looking character with 12 pony tails, so what? Apparently, Tamriel doesn't have those, it also happens not to have Asians. Probably, because there's no Asia on Nirn.
    Im sad we can’t have Daedric characters but the polymorphs look nice with no hoods on
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chinese bots not oriental enough for you?
    "Monsters doesn't exist, we create them"
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    l3vR2C0FSDudaWere.gif

Omg yes-
  • TempPlayer
    TempPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought khajiiti has heavy influence from vietnamese. Both the housing and the costumes as base on that.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TempPlayer wrote: »
    I always thought khajiiti has heavy influence from vietnamese. Both the housing and the costumes as base on that.

I always thought the accent was vaguely Russian/Slavic....

I like it, I just can't place it.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree game hasn’t been the same since KodiPvP was banned.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haashhtaag wrote: »
    I agree game hasn’t been the same since KodiPvP was banned.

He deserved it
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Scarpion
    Scarpion
    ✭✭✭
    Dunmer are based off of Hinduism.

Akaviri are based off of oriental Asians as you call it.
    SDk & MSorc.
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    it took me halfway through the third page to realize how old this thread is.
  • HalloweenWeed
    HalloweenWeed
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding a previous post on "Egyptian influences in Nordic culture" - The draugr aren't mummies and there is no Egyptian influence....
    Gravedigger...

• Sapphire_Lily
    Sapphire_Lily
    ✭✭✭
    There is no Romani option either but I can play a nomadic Khajiit with an alluring accent and elaborate jewellery embellishments so I'm content. It just requires some creativity and suspension of real life sensibilities, you can be anything as long as you remember the races of ES are not a replica of humans.
    Edited by Sapphire_Lily on December 12, 2018 2:23PM
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yeah but you have looks that are more middle eastern/Nubian looks for redguard, Britons well looks like white Europeans, Nords look like swidish, Danish, Viking look. Imperials take on a more ancient Roman like look with the nose, skin tone, and facial features.

Just saying adding Asian looks doesn't hurt emersion or anything, just something I noticed when I tried to make a Samurai looking human no hair do, skin tone, or facial features.

not trying to say anything about racism or imply it just something I noticed and well for myself I'd like to be able to play in game.

Check the Dunmer and Akaviri
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake