Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 14:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 14
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 14, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 4:00PM EDT (20:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• EU megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236

Morrowind: An expansion or just a sugar coated DLC?

• DrPain
    DrPain
    ✭✭✭
    Its definitely an expansion
    Feels like an expansion with a new class and zone and, it's got freakin' bears!

61344850d3b93c15c9ed6dbfa5862d34.jpg

• Euant
    Euant
    ✭✭✭
    Withholding my opinion until I see what "Chapter" means next year.
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just another DLC
    DLC, why call it expansion, lol.
    Pc na
  • ParaNostram
    ParaNostram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A video for people making an informed decision, though this is a little late already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lMxZZ3l8-U
    "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
    Bosmer Sorceress
    Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
    Order of the Black Worm
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just another DLC
    Another Orsinium + Warden.
  • Bruthor
    Bruthor
    Other?
    It's a very large DLC that is a little short of being an expansion. Too expensive in my opinion.
  • c0rp
    c0rp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just another DLC
    Smmokkee wrote: »
    Just think how small the dlcs are gonna be.

Correct. There are no more Wrothgar DLCs or even Theives Guild/ Dark Brotherhood (which weren't huge). All of that type of content are now "Chapters" so that ESO plus people now have to purchase quest related content. DLC is now "September Dungeon Pack: 2 new Dungeons in MW", "December Furnishing Pack: 100s of new home items!". Pretty much sucks.
    Edited by c0rp on May 30, 2017 2:34PM
    Force weapon swap to have priority over EVERYTHING. Close enough.
    Make stamina builds even with magicka builds.
    Disable abilities while holding block.
    Give us a REASON to do dungeons more than once.
    Remove PVP AoE CAP. It is ruining Cyrodiil.
    Fix/Remove Forward Camps. They are ruining Cyrodiil.
    Impenetrability needs to REDUCE CRIT DAMAGE. Not negate entire builds.
    Werewolf is not equal to Vamps/Bats.
  • necronomniconb14_ESO
    Its just another DLC
    c0rp wrote: »
    Smmokkee wrote: »
    Just think how small the dlcs are gonna be.

Correct. There are no more Wrothgar DLCs or even Theives Guild/ Dark Brotherhood (which weren't huge). All of that type of content are now "Chapters" so that ESO plus people now have to purchase quest related content. DLC is now "September Dungeon Pack: 2 new Dungeons in MW", "December Furnishing Pack: 100s of new home items!". Pretty much sucks.

we didn't even get a dungeon with morrowind, lol. just a trial, and a second public dungeon with a farmable in each to keep us busy farming for a while. Contents in the rear-view mirror may appear larger than they are.

I remember buying 30 dollars worth of microsoft points (err crowns) to get wrothgar when it came out. And while it had mountainous areas, those also had npcs, quests, explorable areas and content on them. It also had maelstrom, and a queueable dungeon. a large chunk of wardenfell is inaccessible because it is just a large mountain there taking up space. For people saying "but it's the red mountain yo!" in regular morrowind there were still things on it.
    Edited by necronomniconb14_ESO on May 30, 2017 3:11PM
  • Jtj87
    Jtj87
    ✭✭✭
    Its just another DLC
    has less content than orsinium with battlegrounds and a lackluster warden class to justify the 40 price tag. We need more content than just zones with quests in them, while it is nice to play through the story casually in a couple days that's all the new zone adds . We need more end game content, more weapons, skill lines, spellcrafting, lots of other features promised but delayed. I wouldn't mind paying for stuff like that.
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other?
    Bruthor wrote: »
    It's a very large DLC that is a little short of being an expansion. Too expensive in my opinion.

Its 15 $ ober priced had they added two more dumgeons and a addition to the cp system it would be 40
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's really funny is people are forgetting craglorn wasn't in the base fame. That was the first expansion, orsinium continued that ideal because they most likely had it already in the works before the sub model was abandoned.

You are not even comparing the same game if you look for orsinium to morrowind. You have to compare thieves build, soth and dark brotherhood to be a fair comparison.

Li ke it or not that is the direction the game went in, bite size dlc that add a bit to the main game and now 3x bigger expansion that adds a new landmass, class trial and game mode.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • TheValkyn
    TheValkyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just another DLC
    It's a DLC. Some might say that a class being introduced and a feature like battlegrounds (Should have been included at launch) makes it an expansion but they would be, of course in my opinion, incorrect.

Even a f2p game would include 2 raids, 2 dungeons, a new class and a new overworld map for only $10 or included in your subscription.

ESO is most definitely a rip off but we love the game. It's a dysfunctional relationship. ESO is a gold digger in other words.
  • Galwylin
    Galwylin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just another DLC
    No offense but hasn't then been discussed before? Having completed this entire "expansion" save for the trial, I can say without reservation that the term expansion would be false in this case. A DLC with some base game attachments.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since there is no accepted objective definition of what is expansion and what is just a DLC these questions are pointless.

The real question the OP should be asking is "do you think you got your money's worth", to which i can answer yes.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Orsinium is much bigger compared, the map might be different in size, but look: Orsinium has 17 skyshards... eeehh morrowind only 6 if im correctly? when i see that i already know its just like brotherhood and that kinda stuff, only a bigger map where alot of work went into.
    but the content is fun, there is enough questing etc. nice costumes and other cool looking things to obtain.

Amazingly, you are not correctly.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just another DLC
    alsuran wrote: »
    They don't call it an expansion, they call it a chapter I think, and that's because they know that it's not big enough to be an expansion.

I don't consider it a DLC either though, because of the things it brings.

Morrowind on its own would've been great as a DLC.
    Battlegrounds on its own would've been accepted as a DLC.
    The Warden class would've been OK as a DLC as well.

You got stuff in there that could've kept a lot of players happy for 9 months if they released them as DLCs, so I do think that you can safely call it a chapter (whatever that means), not an expansion.

A chapter is analogous to an expansion given that Morrowind sells for the same price as other MMO's expansions.

Well, no. You don't call a luxury bicycle a motorcycle just because it has the price of one. The content decides what this is, not the price. It doesn't have enough in it to be an expansion, but I think it's big enough to be called a chapter, if that's the name that they want to give it. I think it's definitely more than a DLC though, if you take into account that the three components that I mentioned above could all three be released as standalone DLCs.

The price can be whatever the seller wants it to be, and the market determines how many copies they will sell. If they make a mistake with the price, they don't sell as much. They never claimed this was an expansion, not sure why people want to call it that.

There is no such thing as a "chapter" in gaming industry lexicon. It's a term made up by ZOS. It's up to the buyer to interpret it however he/she wants to. If they are adamant that it isn't a DLC because of its size and scope, then it stands to reason that it's an expansion. You can call your motorcycle a pineapple, but that doesn't mean it isn't a motorcycle.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on May 31, 2017 8:45AM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just another DLC
    Orsinium is much bigger compared, the map might be different in size, but look: Orsinium has 17 skyshards... eeehh morrowind only 6 if im correctly? when i see that i already know its just like brotherhood and that kinda stuff, only a bigger map where alot of work went into.
    but the content is fun, there is enough questing etc. nice costumes and other cool looking things to obtain.

Morrowind does lack content, but that's a terrible way to compare size.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on May 31, 2017 6:34AM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other?
    I am inclined to believe maybe it's something more. Whose to say this expansion won't have more to it later on.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just another DLC
    Tasear wrote: »
    I am inclined to believe maybe it's something more. Whose to say this expansion won't have more to it later on.

I certainly hope they add to it. Heart of Thorns released with very little content too, but Anet continued to add to it.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on May 31, 2017 8:44AM
  • goatlyonesub17_ESO
    goatlyonesub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    A flying mount would have been nice. So would a "constant effect" ring of levitation.

You know, the crippled Dwemer guy we saw in Tel Fyr in TES 3 should be around during ESO times, only younger and maybe not bound to a modified spider walker yet. How come we didn't meet him?
    "Argonians have fat, scaly tails." —Rissa Manyclaws.
    "Once upon a time there were three sisters: Delicious, Delightful, and Disgusting. Now, Delicious and Delightful were both very pretty girls..." —Brendalyn Jurarde.
    "I smell to the nobility." —Indrasa Avani.
    "A bargain with an animal is not a contract made." —Haderus Atrimus.
    "Redguard makeup for sale. Free samples. Secret ingredients. Unique application method. Lots of satisfied customers." —The Mudball Goblin (aka, Cognac Vinecroft)
    "Your armor looks like underwear." —Shuns-the-Knife.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't call it an expansion, they call it a chapter I think, and that's because they know that it's not big enough to be an expansion.

I don't consider it a DLC either though, because of the things it brings.

Morrowind on its own would've been great as a DLC.
    Battlegrounds on its own would've been accepted as a DLC.
    The Warden class would've been OK as a DLC as well.

You got stuff in there that could've kept a lot of players happy for 9 months if they released them as DLCs, so I do think that you can safely call it a chapter (whatever that means), not an expansion.

A chapter is analogous to an expansion given that Morrowind sells for the same price as other MMO's expansions.

Well, no. You don't call a luxury bicycle a motorcycle just because it has the price of one. The content decides what this is, not the price. It doesn't have enough in it to be an expansion, but I think it's big enough to be called a chapter, if that's the name that they want to give it. I think it's definitely more than a DLC though, if you take into account that the three components that I mentioned above could all three be released as standalone DLCs.

The price can be whatever the seller wants it to be, and the market determines how many copies they will sell. If they make a mistake with the price, they don't sell as much. They never claimed this was an expansion, not sure why people want to call it that.

There is no such thing as a "chapter" in gaming industry lexicon. It's a term made up by ZOS. It's up to the buyer to interpret it however he/she wants to. If they are adamant that it isn't a DLC because of its size and scope, then it stands to reason that it's an expansion. You can call your motorcycle a pineapple, but that doesn't mean it isn't a motorcycle.

The term "expansion" is just as made-up as "chapter" is, just by another company and at another point in time. There is no accepted definition of either. If you don't think its a DLC then it stands to reason it is something else, that's as far as you can go. Saying it must be an expansion when no-one knows what exactly *is* an expansion is silly.
    Edited by Sharee on May 31, 2017 10:08AM
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its just another DLC
    Blatant cash grab, failed to deliver on anything bar HOF. Warden is trash, most of us wanted a Necromancer class to be introduced but ZOS logic dictate they necro a class that never made the final cut in the 1st instance.

Morrowind itself isn't big enough, bland and boring, same old crap, run here, talk to someone, run back to someone else and delivery the message, kill someone (makes you appreciate the internet and mobile phones and cars, my legs would be *** and horse's legs would be ground to stumps by now)

Scenery...meh, Soundtrack as always delivers.

Battlegrounds, Broke.

Console friends...run away, cancel orders.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Bislobo
    Bislobo
    ✭✭✭
    The new class, Battlegrounds, new trial, and the map's size and detail make it outshine the best DLC so far (Wrothgar). In that sense it's a "Chapter". Tadaaaa. Now on a serious note, it's an expansion maybe a bit overpriced but an expansion.
    Redguard Dragonknight - Bislobo
    Orc Nightblade - Bislobø
    Redguard Sorcerer - Bisłobo
    Imperial Templar - Bíslobo
    Altmer Sorcerer - Bisløbo
  • MCBIZZLE300
    MCBIZZLE300
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other?
    If battlegrounds works on ps4 it will all be worth it, if it doesn't. It will not....
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just another DLC
    A TON of work went in to this. You can tell as soon as you play it.

A lot more work is needed tho but the amount of work isn't what makes an expansion vs just dlc.

The Morrowind update doesn't expand ESO, it's just a new class and a new zone. No different than dlc that adds new zones, trials, vMSA and new skill lines.

It's just dlc
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    [/quote

A lot more work is needed tho but the amount of work isn't what makes an expansion vs just dlc.

The Morrowind update doesn't expand ESO, it's just a new class and a new zone. No different than dlc that adds new zones, trials, vMSA and new skill lines.

It's just dlc

You and I will as usual have to disagree then. I for one am satisfied with the amount of content, new class (even though I don't like it and will probably will not play one), battlegrounds, atrwork, etc.

I paid and don't regret paying.

• Leogon
    Leogon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just another DLC
    When they announced it, it felt like an expansion. Now that it's out, it feels like a DLC made fancy.
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed; very detailed and exactly what I needed. I've been playing since beta and prior to Morrowind I was at a point of asking myself: Whats next to do?
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just another DLC
    [/quote

It's just dlc

You and I will as usual have to disagree then. I for one am satisfied with the amount of content, new class (even though I don't like it and will probably will not play one), battlegrounds, atrwork, etc.

I paid and don't regret paying.

That's fine. People tend to use the terms interchangeably however in many cases the context intends to describe the words as different impacts.

Very often DLC is recognized and widely accepted when new things are added not limited to in an MMO a new class, or zone and skills.

Expansion is recognized and widely used to try and describe paid content that both expands upon the existing game in addition to adding new zones, classes, new weapon types, new armor types and or skills. (Basically something that expands the existing base features and attributes this the use of "expand")

What's happening here with ESo is this.
    -Initially the company described DLC as new content updates or upgrades with new zones when we had a subscription requirement on PC.

-Later they used Tamriel Unlimited and removed the subscription requirement and made it optional to access new DLC which has been new content updates and upgrades and zones.

-today they are using the term Chapter in addition to DLC. The two are the same to access...real money but Chapters are limited to a requirement of a seperate real money purchase outside of crowns or ESo Plus so this comes with no options when real money is required while DLC that also requires real money continues the theme of Tamriel Unlimited where real money results in crowns or real money as a subscription that results in access while subscribed and crowns.

It's still DLC tho because nothing about this Chapter expands the game. The Base game update comes without purchase.

The new class and zone does require purchase....the only difference in this is it offers a class. The class alone isn't considered an expansion

This update doesn't increase or add the characteristics that typically accompany Expansions

-level increase to max (actually we lost Champion progression impact).
    -No new types of weapons
    -no new types of armor
    -Nothing new for existing characters in terms of character progression, armor, weapons, base stats(arguably)
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on May 31, 2017 3:08PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just another DLC
    It is far from being an expansion, I have played mmo's for many years an expansion will double or triple the size of the world have hundreds of hours of new content, many new features and quality of life improvements. Plus the dev's stayed away from the word expansion for a reason.

We have a nice size dlc, 30 hours of content a couple of new features a new class at an expansion price is the sad part.
    I am enjoying the quests and the story and taking my time playing it. But it is not or ever will be an expansion, and if you think it is you have not played mmo's that had real expansions, like LOTRO in the past, the RIFT, EQ, and a few others.