Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 14:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 14
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 14, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 4:00PM EDT (20:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• EU megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236

Morrowind: An expansion or just a sugar coated DLC?

mb10
mb10
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Hi all,

For those who know or have it: Honestly, is Morrowind an expansion or just another DLC made fancy?

Edited by mb10 on May 29, 2017 3:35PM

Morrowind: An expansion or just a sugar coated DLC? 586 votes

Its definitely an expansion
25%
CNDTraechuck-18_ESOfaerigirlColoursYouHaveDeadlyRecluseGeeYouWhysParkSnareBowserCavanoskusotis67GlassHalfFullMalakorRainwhisperSigtricm2super_ESOMessy1PlagueSDthebattlesaintb14_ESOtspecherb14_ESOKendaric 150 votes
Its just another DLC
66%
MallowSirAndyzergbase_ESOmlstevens42_ESOMoiskormoimiCavalryPKfastolfv_ESOSolarikenJusticiarKikazaruMoloch1514mesnakevlarto_ESOold_mufasaUriel_NocturneCaligamy_ESOavelopolcakb14a_ESOYolokin_SwagonbornMojmirasuitandtyb14_ESO 391 votes
Other?
7%
AcrolasCpt_TeemoTryxusZigoSidtimb16_ESO85YakidafiBruthorIselinAbeilleUloWifeaggro13alsuranAhPook_Is_HereNyghthowlerdownsetManwithBeard9FooWasHereMerlin13KAGLStormWylfZorgon_The_Revenged 45 votes
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A TON of work went in to this. You can tell as soon as you play it.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other?
    Not as big as an expansion imo, but sure bigger than a dlc and more content as well. I'd rather buy Morrowind than a 35$ mount
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just another DLC
    Though I'm enjoying it very much so far, it's clearly on the DLC side of the fence. That said, I think the days of Orsinium sized DLC are long over and will never return. It's gonna be small dungeon DLC like SotH henceforth.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If it was just Morrowind then I'd consider it a DLC, but it's Morrowind, battleground, and a new class.

An expansion is appropriate; although a small one.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just another DLC
    I love it but it really looks like another dlc.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Smmokkee
    Smmokkee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just another DLC
    Just think how small the dlcs are gonna be.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Considering we're getting a class and a new PvP festure for those interested in it... I'd definitely consider it an expansion. If Orsinium would have been released with similiar features, it would be considered an expansion as well and people wouldn't rage nearly as much as they do now.
    Smmokkee wrote: »
    Just think how small the dlcs are gonna be.

DLC zones will probably be around Hew's Bane/Gold Coast in size, with one larger zone per year.
    Edited by Kendaric on May 29, 2017 3:52PM
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Everstorm
      Everstorm
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Yay, another dlc vs expansion thread, just what we needed.
      Edited by Everstorm on May 29, 2017 3:52PM
    • Feanor
      Feanor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Its just another DLC
      Kendaric wrote: »
      Considering we're getting a class and a new PvP festure for those interested in it... I'd definitely consider it an expansion. If Orsinium would have been released with similiar features, it would be considered an expansion as well and people wouldn't rage nearly as much as they do now.

The difference between Orsinium and Morrowind is the Warden. Orsinium had vMA when Morrowind has BG. I don't think the addition of the Warden really makes this an expansion. It depends on what people think what a chapter or expansion really is. To me a chapter or expansion could very well be its own game. Which Morrowind clearly could not. But that's just me.

Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
      Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    • Knootewoot
      Knootewoot
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I am not much of a PvE guy, but I really like the quests and exploring in Vvardenfell.

They have put a lot of time and effort into recreating this piece of land from a 15 year old game.

Yes, it may look smaller. But we did not have mounts in the original Morrowind and we walked very slow. If one got their hands on the "boots of blinding speed" and countered the "blinding" part by wearing the "Cuirasa of Savior's Hide" which gave Resist Magicka 60% on Self, even the original game was not that big (still bigger then the ESO one though)

Yes, we do not have the gazzilion dungeons the original games had. No there is no underwater caves, levitation and exploring the vulcano, ashlands and the eerie foyada's created by the eruption some time ago.

So far I have listened and read every part and piece of the quests and I really enjoy it.

Yes, this is worthy as an expansion for me. Last week I spend more time in this expansion then, let's say, a full game like Rage.

Although a lot still needs fixin' and balancing I see this expansion as a part in the right direction.

Things i would like to see added/fixed:
      - Better houses for bums (i want a terraced house in the middle of a city, preferably in a slum)
      - Larger caves/caverns
      - Crafted armor being better or on par with looted overland stuff.
      - CP160 armor materials toned down from 150 to 50 or so
      - Removing loading screens from Cyrodill. If I die or teleport just fly me to the nearest save spot with the speed of a buffed horse. Better wait 3 mins flying then loading.
      ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
      "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
    • Dragonking06
      Dragonking06
      ✭✭✭
      Definitely an expansion. There's a lot to find and discover, the ancestral tombs, the books, tomb rubbings and a *** ton more quests than we got in Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, possibly even when combined. (Which are really, really awesome and you can tell a lot of love and hard work went into them.) I can probably agree with people saying it's a bit on the small side for an expansion, but considering we got a brand new class and Battlegrounds, along with the fact that this is the games first official expansion, you have to give them a little bit of leeway in that department. For what we have got though it is very impressive and I don't regret my pre-order.

If you love exploration, taking the time to listen to NPC dialog and really getting involved with the story of the area, you will enjoy Morrowind, for anyone still on the fence about buying it.
      PC - NA Server
      Nora Wolf-bane - Nord - Knight of Alkosh, Tank
      "We both looked into the Abyss. But when it looked back... You blinked."
    • Kendaric
      Kendaric
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Feanor wrote: »
      Kendaric wrote: »

The difference between Orsinium and Morrowind is the Warden. Orsinium had vMA when Morrowind has BG. I don't think the addition of the Warden really makes this an expansion. It depends on what people think what a chapter or expansion really is. To me a chapter or expansion could very well be its own game. Which Morrowind clearly could not. But that's just me.

Maelstrom Arena is more like a 1 person trial, so I'd compare it to HoF in Morrowind. Battlegrounds are definitely a new feature, albeit one that should have been part of the base game.

I do think that Morrowind could/should have more delves (Ancestor tombs & Dwemer ruins) and explorable houses, but that's about my only criticism in regards to content.
        PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      • mb10
        mb10
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭
        Surprisingly very even votes atm
      • Azgaran
        Azgaran
        ✭✭
        If the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood are only considered, then it is an expansion but if you compare Morrowind to Orsinium then it seems more like a DLC with a new class.

I wonder if Orsinium was unprofitable due to its size and content so they decided to change how they define new content.
      • Tavore1138
        Tavore1138
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        Its just another DLC
        Don't get me wrong it is a big DLC, even with a huge impassable area in the centre there is a lot of land.

But really the only thing it has over and above Wrothgar is a new class which, personally, I am struggling to find enthusiasm to play. And a big dose of nostalgia for those of us who played the original TES game of the same name.

Otherwise it has some good quests - perhaps somewhat more of a central story than Wrothgar.

It has 2 nice public dungeons (like Wrothgar)

It has a trial instead of MA but worrying that the cool kids have beaten it on vet mode in less than a week.

The one other major 'extra' is Battlegrounds which I assume you can't access from the base game? Although to be fair you can't really access them at all right now so who the heck knows...

It's allure is tempered by the highly questionable main game combat changes which, by raising the ceiling for the few and kicking away the floor for the many, frankly have taken the shine of it for me as fewer and fewer of my guildies seem remotely interested in group activities (trials, dungeons or pvp) which in turn means I am more and more simply doing solo dailies and gathering stuff to sell which I will become bored with sooner or later and gradually stop playing... and thus ESO will leave my life not with a bang but a whimper...

Meh, maybe if I wasn't so depressed by the overall state of the game I'd be more willing to see it as a proper expansion - I've paid more for less hours of play in other games... but I can't help looking at all the time and money I've spent here over the last 3 years and wondering if that is all that is keeping me here and at what point do I just toss it away and admit I am not really having fun the way I was 6 months ago...
        GM - Malazan
        Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
        Legio Mortuum
      • Bananko
        Bananko
        ✭✭✭✭
        Just imagine if all of Vvardenfell was literally sugar coated. :o
      • Feanor
        Feanor
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Its just another DLC
        Well I don't care actually. I don't regret pre-ordering it. Although I would have loved the main quest line to be longer and not so anti climactic. It feels a bit rushed at the end.
      • ofSunhold
        ofSunhold
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Other?
        Define your terms and I'll let you know which I think is more appropriate.

But does it matter? Really? They'll call it whatever they want to call it. It's a "chapter". shrug
        Classes that don't need any class ability nerfs: Nightblades, Dragonknights, Sorcs, Templars, Wardens.
      • StormWylf
        StormWylf
        ✭✭✭✭
        Other?
        I went with other and as I stated on THIS thread:

"The map size seems to me to be DLC; BUT the added BGs and the new class add, IMHO more than a DLC. Would a land mass of 100%, 200% or even bigger have made a difference, I would have to say yes (but expect that too would result in a major difference of opinion as well). I was expecting a HUGE new area, but again we have the Warden and BGs. So in the end more than a DLC but less than an expansion."

Upon more reflection what I submit is needed is a definitive definition of DLC and Expansion.
        Edited by StormWylf on May 29, 2017 4:34PM
      • Stovahkiin
        Stovahkiin
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        Its just another DLC
        If you include BG's, Warden class, and Vvardenfell, then yeah it's an expansion. But if you're not interested in wardens and can't play battlegrounds (broken queues) then Vvardenfell alone is just a dlc really.
        Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
      • Tryxus
        Tryxus
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Other?
        It was an attempt at an expansion

Not a bad attempt imo
        Edited by Tryxus on May 29, 2017 4:29PM
        "We're all born under the same sky and on the same earth. Therefore, we all deserve the same amount of respect."
        Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU
      • ZigoSid
        ZigoSid
        ✭✭✭✭
        Other?
        I don't know yet, some things can change the answer.

- The Great Houses motifs : will they come with new content or will they simply become available in existing stuff ?

- As a "chapter" maybe there will be a better follow-up, with new things over the months like new tombs/caves, Sheogorad, new questlines in towns, Clockwork City daily zone, 4 players dungeons, etc

If it stay like that, then it's a big DLC/a tiny expansion but if there's a good follow-up over the months then I might call it a real expansion.
        Edited by ZigoSid on May 29, 2017 4:45PM
      • Faulgor
        Faulgor
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        They don't call it an expansion themselves, so why should I?

ZigoSid wrote: »
        - The Great Houses motifs : will they come with new content or will they simply become available in existing stuff ?

Most likely they will be Crown Store exclusive.
        Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
        Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
      • ZigoSid
        ZigoSid
        ✭✭✭✭
        Other?
        Most likely they will be Crown Store exclusive.

If this happen, then it would be neither DLC or Expansion but Garbage ^^'
      • SydneyGrey
        SydneyGrey
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        A TON of work went in to this. You can tell as soon as you play it.
        This.
        Then again, I would have considered Orsinium an expansion, too.
      • [Deleted User]
        [Deleted User]
        Soul Shriven
        Its just another DLC
        The user and all related content has been deleted.
        Edited by [Deleted User] on May 29, 2017 5:02PM
      • Trashkan
        Trashkan
        ✭✭✭
        Its just another DLC
        I do agree it is big but all the stuff that came with the base game was mind blowing. I paid $60 for that and with it I got cyridill 20+ dungeons 3 trials and 15 entire questing maps 4 different classes to choose from. I paid $40 for morrowind and I got battlegrounds 1 questing map and 1 trial. Thanks zos for sticking it right where the sun don't shine.
        Edited by Trashkan on May 29, 2017 5:16PM
      • Edziu
        Edziu
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Its just another DLC
        this is dlc named as expansion only because of name "Morrowind" which have very good reputatnion, sentence, meaning and nostalgia
      • Troneon
        Troneon
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭
        Its just another DLC
        Fake Expansion
        PC EU AD
        Master Crafter - Anything you need!!
        High Elf Magicka Templar Healer/DPS/Tank
        Trials / Dungeons / PVP / Everything
      • Legoless
        Legoless
        ✭✭✭✭
        Its just another DLC
        The content is really great, but the pricetag is off.