The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Would You Accept nMSA Dropping Maelstrom Weapons? (read before rage posting)

• DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be pretty great if they gave nMA a small drop chance for weaps after the next cycle of M-Weapons gets released. I had hoped we would get a new cycle within a year of Maelstrom weaps, but apparently not.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I've been doing vMA for over a year. Have Flawless on two toons. Still don't have a sharp lightning and only one sharp fire.

RNG is the biggest enemy in vMA, not Voriak.

I can get behind something like this:
    • 5% drop chance on normal
    • 100% drop chance on vet
    • Restricted trait pool for weeklies

With a sufficiently-low drop rate, anyone hoping to get the weapons on normal will soon claw their eyes out in frustration at the RNG and will hopefully be pushed into do vet or weekly score runs.
    Edited by code65536 on March 28, 2017 2:01PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Dantaria
    Dantaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Absolutely no.

OP, you made some beautiful sentiments about people with limitations, people with disabilities, people who simply have some personal hiccups and all of them can't get BiS weapon, because it's locked in VMA... It is really beautiful and considerate. But you're missing the main, the crucial point.

Noboby actually needs vMA weapons.

You absolutely can finish all vet HM content - yes, yes, all trials included - without them.

The only thing, which you are banned from without vMA weapons, is the top position on leaderboard.

You only need vMA, if you wish to join some guild like Hodor and play their particular game. The game of competitiveness.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. But. It's the game with its own rules. It requires time, effort, endless training, endless farming and endless getting gut.

vMA and vMA weapons were not made for casual and semi-hardcore players. They were made for full hardcore players. For those who truly enjoy challenge and climbing leaderboards.

Only vMA dropping weapons is... kinda the point ;)
    Edited by Dantaria on March 29, 2017 3:16PM
    English isn't my native, apologies for any mistakes.
  • Triipzzz
    Triipzzz
    ✭✭✭
    No
    What a dumb question, you could probably do it without weapons on normal its that easy. I have honestly seen people doing nVMA on level 10's for a laugh. Even vet is a breeze for players that have put enough time into learning mechanics and setting up a build. It would be ridiculous giving weapons even on a lower drop rate to normal completions.

Either you can't do it by build or skill or have not put enough time into learning mechanics.
  • Triipzzz
    Triipzzz
    ✭✭✭
    No
    A year ago, I would have easily said no. However this content has been out a long time. Just let it be farmed easily now. Early players have had the advantage of VMA weapons for quite some time now. Just get the BiS weapons into the hands of the players that are freaking sick of the RNG lottery.

I would just like to raise some comments about this;

It's been out a while for sure but the players that have a lot of weapons have put a ridiculous amount time and effort into farming that RNG lottery junk for some time. Just because it's "been out a while" should not give everybody that can't do it an exemption to get free weapons without going through what most of us did the first few runs. They've even made it significantly easier over patches.

I think vMA difficulty is good where it is and personally believe it helps PVE player development by teaching new comers to PVE how to block and avoid key mechanics. Just join a random dungeon and you will get paired with 2-3 low levels that don't know how to block or mitigate simple mechanics.

• Triipzzz
    Triipzzz
    ✭✭✭
    No
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    bubbygink wrote: »
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

What even is skillful play in this game defined by?
  • Fvh09NL
    Fvh09NL
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I really don't think they should drop on normal, as it is so easy that even vet VoM seems difficult. Quality doesn't matter since upgrading is easy and lower level gear is so bad that I would not even prefer a vma weapon.

I don't get many players want the weapons without the effort. Try to finish it, fail, get better, kill that Voriak Salkyn or whatever and spit and dance on his death body before you loot your well-deserved decisive mace and shield. Believe me, I tried for around 90 times before I beat that *** and when I finally did, even a *** drop doesn't stand in the way of celebrating your accomplishment and it feels real good. You have earned that by learning and addapting to the arena and its mobs, not through killing them by sneezing in their general direction (normal ma). And after that first time you can do it fairly easy, ok you will probably die a few times but you will be able to finish it in an hour or so, gradually becoming faster and better.

Earn the weapons which are BiS but not necessary, dropping them from normal ma is like selling them, no effort involved in both.

• Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Same drop rate as vet only make them CP150.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I agree with several of the people who suggest that the normal maelstrom arena drops a CP150 variant of the weapon. The reason behind this is this:
    Min/Maxers and Elitists will still get the satisfaction of the BiS items being locked behind the Vet mode.
    The CP150 version will literally have about 20 or so less weapon damage which is made up for by the weapon/spell damage bonus of the enchantment.

Still should have a lower droprate though as well.
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Don't understand why they didn't follow the DSA model where normal drops blue c150 version of the item. That adds a layer of prorgression and gives players an idea of the power the weapon adds to a build, so they can find out if they want to grind possibly 100+ hours for it.
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Don't understand why they didn't follow the DSA model where normal drops blue c150 version of the item. That adds a layer of prorgression and gives players an idea of the power the weapon adds to a build, so they can find out if they want to grind possibly 100+ hours for it.
    Not sure myself, sadly because that was the release model now there is so much ego behind some of (not all) desire for change.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    This game on the most generally caters for let's be honest, less skilled, and casual minded people who care more for the colour of their shirt and the animation of their non combat pet than their DPS output. These guys are well catered for via questing, roleplay, housing, crown store, dungeons, and normal trials.
    However, there are competitive players and we see this is competitive trial play, PvP and vMA.
    To keep the competitive players there needs to be competitive content which we have like get trials and vMA. Now bragging rights isn't just enough, the players that run these want to be rewarded with items that match the difficulty of the content.
    Dropping the difficulty on how these can be obtained removes a huge reason for completing content and would see VMA become a ghost town.
    IMO.
    Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
  • Nidro
    Nidro
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    My Suggestion for the whole End-Game loot System:

Normal Trials: no sharpened and precise

Veteran Trials only sharpened and precise and 1-2 other traits like nirnhoned and defending

what about that ? ;-)
    - Champion Rank 1080 -

Argonian Warden Tank - Never-Fights-Alone
    Highelf Sorcereress - Magicka DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Highelf Templar - Magicka DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Imperial Dragonknight - Tank - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Khajiit Nightblade - Stamina DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Redguard Templar - Stamina DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Darkelf Nightblade - Magicka DD - Voice of Reason
    Imperial Sorcerer - Stamina DD - The Flawless Conquerer
    Redguard Dragonknight - Stamina DD
    Argonian Templar - Healer - Heals-all-Allies -
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Nidro wrote: »
    My Suggestion for the whole End-Game loot System:

Normal Trials: no sharpened and precise

Veteran Trials only sharpened and precise and 1-2 other traits like nirnhoned and defending

what about that ? ;-)
    This isn't a sustainable system though, what happens if and when the meta changes and because of trait updates, ZOS would need to constantly change the loot tables.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    If it's going to be done, it should be no more than a 5% drop chance for any weapon/trait combination in the table.

I'm interested to know, from the people who haven't got what they're after:
    Why do you guys want them so bad?
    What do you feel like you're missing right now?
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    BNOC wrote: »
    If it's going to be done, it should be no more than a 5% drop chance for any weapon/trait combination in the table.

I'm interested to know, from the people who haven't got what they're after:
    Why do you guys want them so bad?
    What do you feel like you're missing right now?
    For me the thread was made pre-completion (I have beaten it now, and have done three completions since Saturday morning) and it's because I would like to partake in group content or PvP with the best there is to offer, have the time to invest in grinding but suffer with very bad reflexes.

I argued the same with DSA/vDSA. It's fine to have high tier rewards which great players can achieve but it's not viable that everyone can obtain that.
    For me personally I feel the Veteran content should be there for the challenge, leaderboards and fun of harder content, not as a barrier to obtain unique items desired for many builds.

Having now beaten vMSA I still stand by nMSA should drop the item but at a lower quality and chance, so those who invest enough time can get something, but take more time than someone doing vMSA.

Example if it's average oh 1 hour to clear vMSA for a weapon, then it should be 10 hours worth of work for one item in nMSA.
    The players are investing 10x as much work for one reward where's the good players get 10 items for the same.

Hopefully this makes some sense.
  • Majeure
    Majeure
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, git gud. It's a l2p issue.
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, but not 25%....maybe at the same rate of burning spell weave sharp swords or inferno staffs, so 1-1000
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Majeure wrote: »
    No, git gud. It's a l2p issue.
    That's very constructive of you.
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »
    Yes, but not 25%....maybe at the same rate of burning spell weave sharp swords or inferno staffs, so 1-1000
    25% was kind of a rough throw it out there figure to get a debate going.

As my post above I would say try and aim for something where someone can get one 1/10th the time a vMSA player can.

What's the clear time for nMSA? I've heard 1 hour is about normal for very good vMSA players, so ideally you'd want to be in a place where a player has to complete x number of normal version to each veteran version.

5% isn't bad as it's 20 runs on average to get an item which is a pretty big time investment compared to a single run of veteran for a good player.
  • Tinus_92
    Tinus_92
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Weapons of sets like moondancer, burning spellweave, etc also drop on normal dungeons and trials. Still the drop chances on the perfect weapons remain so small.
    Edited by Tinus_92 on April 4, 2017 3:53PM
    Ingame ID: @Suni_92
  • AtraisMachina
    AtraisMachina
    ✭✭✭
    No
    bubbygink wrote: »
    No, normal Maelstrom is extremely easy. I've seen people beat it on like level 11 characters who were just doing it to level up. Giving BiS weapons for such an easy thing to do, even if it is only a 25% chance, is ridiculous.

This has been going on since it released. No the reward is not the fact that you grow as a player the reward is accses to bis weapons. That is the motivation to make you bang your head against the wall to become a better player.

Put the time and effort in like everyone else. It pays off.

I stuggled for 6 months on and off wavering in motivation to beat it. But eventually I gained enough experience and drive to finish it.

That drive is the true test of maelstrom. Some people dont have it, some people dont care, some people are born with it, and some people find it. Regardless you have to have it to beat maelstrom and it's something that all true end gamers must aquire to beat the hardest content in mmos. And Maelstrom weapons are the token of that individual drive in eso.

Dont have the drive you dont get the token. Sucks

And more importantly mmos without token weapons and gear are lame and nobody plays them.
    Edited by AtraisMachina on April 5, 2017 12:59AM
  • CultOfMMO
    CultOfMMO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Turelus wrote: »
    What's the clear time for nMSA? I've heard 1 hour is about normal for very good vMSA players, so ideally you'd want to be in a place where a player has to complete x number of normal version to each veteran version.

1 hour is trash tier for vMA players, obviously excluding first 5 clears.

nMA can be finished in 30-40 minutes by any average joe.
    vHoF HM 202k Tick-Tock Tormentor (Stamblade)
    vAS HM 111k Immortal Redeemer (Magplar)
    vCR HM 129k Gryphon Heart (Magblade/plar)
    vSS HM 245k NA 2nd Godslayer (Stamcro)
    Magblade vMA 601k
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I'd be okay with it if it dropped CP150 weapons, but not CP160. Similar to how it used to be with DSA back in the day.
  • Valykc
    Valykc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Normal maelstrom is way too easy for BiS gear
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Sell them on vendors , make them BoE or drop them in normal , I don't care . In the wrong hands they are no more dangerous then a basic weapon in a really skilled and fast players hand . I honestly don't care about weapons locked behind paywalls . Even when I have them .

It's not that Vma is hard , it's long . Longer then most people have for game time . Even the fastest times are long for some older people . I know a guy that can't sit for more then 10 minutes or his spinal injury acts up . Another guy that plays has cancer and can't sit up in a chair that long either . I can barely get him through some group dungeons in time but somehow we managed a few of those .
  • llllADBllll
    llllADBllll
    ✭✭✭
    No
    End game content for heavy attackin everything to death or beaming to death.....No
    CRAFTMASTER - DAGGERFALL EU XBOX ONE

GAMERTAG - DJANTBOWMAN

Tamriel Trading Company Guildmaster
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Vaoh wrote: »
    I see why you'd ask for this. It's not an unreasonable thing to ask either.

Personally I feel that Maelstrom and Master weapons (along with future skill-altering weapons) should only be earned through completing really tough content as a reward.

Getting these weapons from normal mode would feel lame..... plus imagine a CP162 Tyro linking his Maelstrom Inferno Staff in sharpened -_-

Omg I'd snap my ESO disk if that happened lol
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Vaoh wrote: »
    I see why you'd ask for this. It's not an unreasonable thing to ask either.

Personally I feel that Maelstrom and Master weapons (along with future skill-altering weapons) should only be earned through completing really tough content as a reward.

Getting these weapons from normal mode would feel lame..... plus imagine a CP162 Tyro linking his Maelstrom Inferno Staff in sharpened -_-

Omg I'd snap my ESO disk if that happened lol
    Why, they can link you their divines everything else. Also Why does CP162 or PvP rant change this? Are you saying only CP600 players with AR30 are able to complete content? :tongue:
  • Chiefpoppasquat
    No
    I voted no and yet to complete working on it with stam dk and mag sorc but i want to feel like i accomplished something when i do and i will
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I voted no and yet to complete working on it with stam dk and mag sorc but i want to feel like i accomplished something when i do and i will
    Why wouldn't you feel accomplished for beating vMSA if nMSA dropped weapons at a very low %?
This discussion has been closed.