The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Cyrodiil Performance Test and Double AP Event

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Is performance an issue in every free to play model MMO?

I can see there always being an issue because sales drive revenue so you need new content to sell. With a model like that new content will always be the priority and maintenance will never get done.

Maybe free to play isn’t a good business model for MMOs in general. They should be budgeting for tail end costs from initial sales but human nature gets in the way.
    Edited by Iskiab on June 24, 2019 10:54AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Hashtag_
    Hashtag_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

I can see there always being an issue because sales drive revenue so you need new content to sell. With a model like that new content will always be the priority and maintenance will never get done.

Maybe free to play isn’t a good business model for MMOs in general. They should be budgeting for tail end costs from initial sales but human nature gets in the way.

Most of the free 2 play MMO type games I’ve played have superior performance.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hashtag_ wrote: »

Most of the free 2 play MMO type games I’ve played have superior performance.

I think any performance updates they do is to fit additional animations into an aging game engine. That's why they are working on ESO2 instead of fixing this game lol.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran 300 latency last night also. But also the lag did happen whenever zergs balled up the latency skyrocketed !!! When ever they stoped or were taking a break the latency would die back down.
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • JackAshes
    JackAshes
    ✭✭✭
    LegacyDM wrote: »
    so what ever happened to this? Can't play. 300+ ping. Sunday night. hello is there anybody out there? Or is this just another brick in the wall?

In honor of the Necro class you Necroed a post from the 2017s. Well played my friend well played :)
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Performance, or more generally, quality, is an issue everywhere, because ZOS's style releases are common across the board in software industry. I am actually a bit surprised our glorious computerized industrial civilization has not fallen apart yet.

On the other hand, MMO is very good vehicle for P2W business model. In an online game, videogambling company is in control and can monetize what would be otherwise impractical or impossible. For example, selling crafting bag for $15/month could be somewhat possible in Elder Scrolls Offline, but awkward and ultimately pointless, because players would eventually hack the game, increase inventory space and bag sales would plummet. In ESO, it is much better business, because ZOS can set inventory limit, increase amount of clutter over time, drown players in diarrhea of token REWARDs and maintain monopoly on bags.
    If an O game is also M-O or MM-O, it gets even better, because presence of other players, especially those who did not pay, increases percieved value of purchases. For example, you could spend $500 and then ride around on psychedelic chimera, dressed like parrot, in an offline game, but that would not be nearly as exciting as riding around on psychedelic chimera, dressed like parrot, shouting "look at me! I am so cool! I spent $500 on chimera and parrot costume! look at me!" in an MMO with substantial population of players who only walk on foot, dressed like beggars.
    Edited by JamilaRaj on July 2, 2019 10:17PM
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The crown store works!
  • khemdog
    khemdog
    ✭✭✭
    Did you guys ever figure out why pvp lags so bad?
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Khem

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    khemdog wrote: »
    Did you guys ever figure out why pvp lags so bad?
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_GinaBruno

We found that out 6 years ago. It's because the server side implementation for ESO sucks ....
    dry.gif

ESO needs UDP based client/server communication that implements a lossy protocol combined with client *and* server side prediction.
    type.gif

Edited by SirAndy on June 28, 2019 5:34PM