The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PTS Character Load Issues (Possibly Mac Related- With Workaround)

Sentinel
Sentinel
✭✭✭✭
Well, it's that time again and I've been having issues logging in to the game from my client on a mac laptop (I know :tongue: ).

Here's a description of what goes on:

After launching the title, the first oddity is that for a second or two while the bethesda logo is going through its animation, the screen shows a massive amount of static. This occurs without fail, and doesn't seem to impact any functionality, but may be a precursor to the issue that happens later on.

Next, after logging in, I get to the character select screen. Another thing I've noticed here is that there seem to be a lot more detail to the textures and figures on every level of settings. I've viewed the characters on this screen from high settings and the level of detail seems moreso than on live, which may mean that the computer has to work that much harder. In addition, on minimum settings, models retain a crisp outline and look, also quite unlike how it is on live where the models and textures are much fuzzier and lighter. Part of the issue could be that my laptop can't quite handle these changes and settings.

After I try to log into my character who is currently in stormhaven, the loading screen shows up, and I've noticed the wheel in the bottom right corner is frozen and grayed, and while everything else seems fine on this screen, it is completely frozen, and never progresses. I'd like to know if anyone else experiences this sort of inability to access the PTS. The issue could be with the mac client, but I'm not sure about that. Maybe it is something simpler.

Macbook Pro (OSX El Capitan, 2012)
2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor
8gb Memory
Intel HD Graphics 4000

If anyone is experiencing similar problems or have solutions (apart from getting a real PC, I get that enough from my guilds :tongue: ), please post below :smile:

@EDIT: There is a workaround that I've found to work for this specific issue. While characters sent from live over to the PTS may not work, creating and using a template character often does. I have actually been able to log in using template characters and have had little issues with them (except for the infinite load screens that occasionally pop up in stormhaven). If you find this workaround works or does not work for you, please mention it, as @ZOS_GinaBruno has mentioned they are looking into it, it is best they get the most info they can.
  • EllaRielle
    EllaRielle
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, me too. Eternal load screen after character select and when right clicking on game icon, Application not responding.
    Guilds:
    ESOTR
    Wings of Fate
    Elder Scrolls Exchange
    Ethereal Traders Union
    Heroic Intent
    Haderus/Trueflame on NA
  • Delsskia
    Delsskia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't get from the character select screen into the game either... same greyed out (non) spinning logo. Also, I can't access the premade characters, only my toons copied from live.

MacOS Sierra 10.12.2
    Late 2013 27" iMac
    3.5 GHz i7
    24 Gig RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M 4GB VRAM
    512 GB SSD
    NA-PC
    Fantasia
  • JKith
    JKith
    ✭✭✭
    Same: Can't load a character.

MacOS Sierra 10.12.2
    Mid 2015 rMBP
    2.8GHz Intel Core i7
    16GB RAM
    AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2GB vRam
  • Lady_Rosabella
    Lady_Rosabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter is having the same issue. :-(

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_RichLambert any solution to MAC users not being able to get on PTS?
  • EllaRielle
    EllaRielle
    ✭✭✭
    I believe it has something to do with the character copies. I fixed this by creating a new character. Now, if my game would stop crashing when assigning skill points... :s
    Guilds:
    ESOTR
    Wings of Fate
    Elder Scrolls Exchange
    Ethereal Traders Union
    Heroic Intent
    Haderus/Trueflame on NA
  • Lady_Rosabella
    Lady_Rosabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter who is also on a MAC was able to load in by creating a template character as well.
  • Delsskia
    Delsskia
    ✭✭✭✭
    bump
    NA-PC
    Fantasia
  • Sentinel
    Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Huh! I can attest to using a template to bypass the loading screen freeze. I just got in with a template where every other character failed.
  • Dez
    Dez
    Same problem here

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac17,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM171.0105.B09
    SMC Version (system): 2.33f10
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks for the info, all. We're looking into this!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Delsskia
    Delsskia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I uninstalled the PTS and trashed the associated files, then I downloaded it again and I'm still unable to see or access any premade characters. I do see all 8 of my toons that were copied from the live server, but I can't get from the character select screen into the game... still. When I leave the character select screen, The golden logo at the bottom right of the load screen is greyed out and not spinning.
    NA-PC
    Fantasia
  • HereKittehKitteh
    HereKittehKitteh
    ✭✭✭
    Same happening here. Loads of static when loading it up, struggling to load characters then when i do finally get in it freezes when assigning skill points or trying to access inventory :/
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter is having the same issue. :-(

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_RichLambert any solution to MAC users not being able to get on PTS?
    Same with me (though five out of my eight characters load properly) - I've attached a spindump of the eso process when it is hung.

Edit: Had which characters would load backwards!
    Edited by smacx250 on January 5, 2017 6:38PM
  • Horowonnoe
    Horowonnoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same exact issue for me too. @ZOS_GinaBruno any updates?
    PC / NA
    Templar Healer "False Eye"
    Sorc Healer "Potema the Wolf Queen"
    Warden Healer "Heavy Attacks Online"
    Magicka Nightblade DPS "Nephaleth Telvanni"
    Dragonknight Tank "Nico's Facsimile"

Builds & Guides:
    Horow's Templar Healer Guide for Trials (Murkmire updated)
    How to get Felms to jump correctly in vAS HM?
    Horow's vMA Magicka Sorc Build for beginners and lazy farmers
    Horow's Magicka Sorc Triple Pet Heavy Attack Build - Summerset Isles Ready
    More builds at anthem-guild.com/pve/.

Notable Achievements:
    - World's first 18 Axes vAA clear
    - World's first 20+ enrage stack Llothis in vAS HM and World record cone damage
  • kamimark
    kamimark
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same here. Copied chars don't load. Templates will load, but eventually spinlock in inventory or skill screens. As long as I never use any items or skills, it's fine!
    Kitty Rainbow Dash. pick, pick, stab.
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Same here. Copied chars don't load. Templates will load, but eventually spinlock in inventory or skill screens. As long as I never use any items or skills, it's fine!"

My wife is having the exact same issue on her iMac. Copied characters will not load, and going into inventory or skills is insta-crash. 4 ever.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • HereKittehKitteh
    HereKittehKitteh
    ✭✭✭
    I tried a different template to see if it would help. It did, i could access my inventory without issue and skills, but once i started to spend skill points, probably got to around 10 spent before it froze, then when reloading the character i cannot access the inventory anymore or spend any further skill points without it freezing. Further to those issues, i played around with character seeing what i could and couldn't do, i cannot use the bank, and while i can view mail i cannot take the items from mail or view attachments without it freezing.

Sucks! i was so excited to try out this patch :/
  • AyeshaBelladonna
    AyeshaBelladonna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here, i used the character creator, which got me loaded in. I was exploring the housing and was fine. THEN i tried assigning my skill points (i was adding them to light armor as a matter of fact, annulment) and all of a sudden i locked up, application not responding, and crashed the client. i closed my launcher, reloaded (yup still getting weird screen static on 2 of the 3 load screens before login) and now the new character i made for the PTS that WAS working fine is giving me this same load bug you have OP that was occurring with ALL my other characters. :(
    I'm on an iMac

2013/2014 model
    OS El Capitan v10.11.6
    3.1GHz Intel Core i7
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Nvidia GEForce GT 750M 1024MB
    And over a TB free space avail still.

Getting ready to boot up the Win 10 Laptop and see if it does it on that one too, just to try and isolate a me vs Mac problem but it will take SEVERAL HOURS for that to download and install the PTS and id really rather not have to do that. :( HELP US ZOS!

@ZOS_GinaBruno any news yet for us? We can't report an in-game bug ticket for this if we can't even get in. Asking for help here is the best we can do right now. :(
    Edited by AyeshaBelladonna on January 6, 2017 9:51AM
    NA EP CP1200+
    Original: Mag/Templar Erestem Nightblossom (Tank/Healer Hybrid, Alchemist, general nuisance)
    Alt's? at this point...so many to play, so little time!

**RED or DEAD** Long Live EP!

Leather Lace- GM, ESO Grand Designs GM, Ankle Biter for Lone Wolf United, CO-GM of Tower of Wayreth,
    Master Furnisher & Housing fanatic, PvP junkie
    Beta Tester, part of the 2013 Club
  • AyeshaBelladonna
    AyeshaBelladonna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sentinel wrote: »
    If anyone is experiencing similar problems or have solutions (apart from getting a real PC, I get that enough from my guilds :tongue: )

LOL i get that too, then i point out to my guildies that, of those in our group, _I'M_ the one not crashing every ten minutes in Cyrodil... _I'M_ the one NOT having the Win10 Memory leak and unable to run add ons, _I'M_ the one not having FPS issues every time the ping spikes happen. So perhaps when THEIR Win 10 machine is running as smoothly as MY iMac (even though they have the 50mbps connection and all those 'Really Cool Gaming Hardware Toys') that THEN they can tell me what i "Need" to really enjoy this game. LOL ;)
    MacGaming<34Ever! hehehehehe
    NA EP CP1200+
    Original: Mag/Templar Erestem Nightblossom (Tank/Healer Hybrid, Alchemist, general nuisance)

Leather Lace- GM, ESO Grand Designs GM, Ankle Biter for Lone Wolf United, CO-GM of Tower of Wayreth,
  • HereKittehKitteh
    HereKittehKitteh
    ✭✭✭
    Sentinel wrote: »
    If anyone is experiencing similar problems or have solutions (apart from getting a real PC, I get that enough from my guilds :tongue: )

LOL i get that too, then i point out to my guildies that, of those in our group, _I'M_ the one not crashing every ten minutes in Cyrodil... _I'M_ the one NOT having the Win10 Memory leak and unable to run add ons, _I'M_ the one not having FPS issues every time the ping spikes happen. So perhaps when THEIR Win 10 machine is running as smoothly as MY iMac (even though they have the 50mbps connection and all those 'Really Cool Gaming Hardware Toys') that THEN they can tell me what i "Need" to really enjoy this game. LOL ;)
    MacGaming<34Ever! hehehehehe

When people complain in guild chat about memory leaks
    Me: *strokes Mac* whats a memory leak guys ;)

In all seriousness though I am going to build a PC soon cos I'm scared I'm frying my mac sometimes with the long sessions XD and frankly idgaf if i fry a PC :')
  • Windshadow_ESO
    Windshadow_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Same here
    but the bug (computer hangs with a frozen computer with the last music loop on endless repeat

with the transferred toons the hang is either at log in or early at first interactions
    such as accessing the bank

with the template toons it happened after expending about 2/3 of the points on skills and passives etc.

it is the same sort of hang frozen computer that has to be power cycled to work and the thing with the music louping (I let it go overnight that way just to see if it would proceed to a proper crash that would produce useful logs but no it just souped the music endlessly for 8
    + hours.

5K 27 inch iMac late 2014 10.12

not much practical testing we can do till this is fixed
  • Pangnirtung
    Pangnirtung
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's a memory leak on a Mac? LOL

As a long, long, long, time Mac user the past year has seen tons of memory leaks from Firefox to the point where it was using up all my system memory. Just sayin.

Mac is nice but it isn't perfect.
  • burningcrow
    burningcrow
    ✭✭✭
    I also have this problem and am able to load the world if I create a new character.

OSX v10.12.2
    Mac (27-inch, Mid 2011)
    3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB
  • Afafrenferr
    Afafrenferr
    ✭✭✭
    Hoping for a status update on this. I'd love to get in there and test out the Nightblade changes. I thought I'd just make a template toon in case it was a problem with the copied toons, but it's definitely something tied to skill points. I was able to use many items in my inventory on a new template without any problems, as long as i didn't spend any skill points. To avoid any problems, I didn't even equip gear or spend attribute points either. Shortly after skill points are spent, game ceases to respond, requiring a force quit.

I was able to use the deeds to all the houses, buy items from the crown store, including the crown store in the housing editor, group with other players, decorate my own houses as well as my friend's houses. The only crashes I ever got were with toons that had zero skill points spent. One of my toons copied over was a brand new one, and I was even able to play him, as he had no skill points spent.

OS X El Capitan v10.11.6
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
    3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB
    PC/NA
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey guys, no update/solution yet for this, but we are continuing to investigate. In the meantime, as others have stated, you can use the supplied template or create a new character; this is limited to copied characters from the Live NA megaserver.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • AyeshaBelladonna
    AyeshaBelladonna
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's a memory leak on a Mac? LOL

As a long, long, long, time Mac user the past year has seen tons of memory leaks from Firefox to the point where it was using up all my system memory. Just sayin.

Mac is nice but it isn't perfect.

Thats why i stuck with Safari instead of going to firefox lol. haven't had any issues with safari. but yes. we CAN get them too, just not as prone to as Win lol. ;)
    NA EP CP1200+

• AyeshaBelladonna
    AyeshaBelladonna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So wait........ Are we STILL broken? Any word yet on whats going on or a solution for us @ZOS_GinaBruno ? @ZOS_JessicaFolsom ? Anybody have word yet on this getting fixed?

If i have to make a new character to get around the issue thats no big deal- BUT there is only so much of the Homestead additions we can do without allotting some skill points so we can venture out to check out the vendors and crafting stuff. :(
    NA EP CP1200+

• Afafrenferr
    Afafrenferr
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks For the update, I'm sure guys will have us fixed up soon enough. Hopefully this gets fixed before it goes live. I already know which house I'm getting with 2m gold set aside to decorate it with, and I'm looking forward to all the new recipes and such. Gonna be so good!!
    PC/NA
  • Heike
    Heike
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for this thread! I had JUST submitted a ticket, and then saw this. My situation/events are exactly the same as the OP's.

Thanks, again.
    Mihail Heike
    (NA AD CP1800 Templar - DD/Heals)
    Heikers | The Hive Mind | Dead Nirn Dealers | Bowz N The Hood | Tertiary Meat
    "Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi"

"I will see you, galloping across the green pastures and through the timbers. I will watch, from my shadowy crouch under the rocks at Greenmead, as you race past the dolmen, with thoughts of Altadoon in your head. Yes, I will see you. And your journey will end there..."
    ~Mihail Heike
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If i have to make a new character to get around the issue thats no big deal- BUT there is only so much of the Homestead additions we can do without allotting some skill points so we can venture out to check out the vendors and crafting stuff. :(
    Depends really on what you want to do. With the templates you get 100kk gold, all furnishing recipes and all houses for free, and 100% on most skill lines. So the crafting and vendors is easy to check; all you won't be able to do is test your own builds and buy houses with in-game gold (since the templates don't have any of the prereq quest achievements).
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp