The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Housing too expensive

• Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue with the game is that the economy is not an equal playing field.

If you belong to a guild that can sell to the community, then you have a chance of making Gold, if your not (about 90% of the community) then you don't.

• Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you belong to a guild that can sell to the community, then you have a chance of making Gold, if your not (about 90% of the community) then you don't.

At least there are reasonable ways to make gold in this game that isn't just selling items to other players. Market manipulation will always be way more lucrative than actual production, but you can make decent bank just vending and stealing.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • scrobey
    scrobey
    ✭✭✭
    I'll just find a cave to call home..
  • Amyxleexownsxu
    Amyxleexownsxu
    ✭✭✭
    I am happy it's so expensive, I'm sitting on roughly 22mil so I'm only 3mil away from owning them all. What the hell else am I gonna spend my gold on when nothing else really costs that much?
    PC/NA Since Beta!
    CP 1165

Main
    Rank 27 EP Khajiit Stamblade | Derosianthe | 26k Achieves

Alts
    EP Redguard Stamcro | Reindallia
    EP Bosmer Stamden | Sathiriel
    EP Imperial Stamplar | Velinaszol
    EP Altmer Magsorc | Ophianthil
    EP Dunmer Magknight | Thelisarcis

Housing Enthusiast/Completionism Nerd
    Blood for the Pact!!!
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let compare affordability of housing and gear.

If you just came to the game and want BIS gear how long it will take? A few months of dedicated work (providing Great Random smiles on you in vMA). Or longer if you are just playing.

Can you earn 3 mln if you dedicate your play time (and research efforts) into making money within few months? For sure.

So pretty much it is only question of your own priorities.
  • Bandit1215
    Bandit1215
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly if only a handful of people on PC NA can afford a manor, I'm fine with it.
    CP 561
    • vSO HM - Completed
    • vAA - Completed
    • vHRC - Completed

• HuawaSepp
    HuawaSepp
    ✭✭✭
    Edziu wrote: »
    HuawaSepp wrote: »
    12000k gold just to get the achievements wth.
    Dat endless grind again.

like endless gring for gran overlord rank on pvp without being in PRO group to farm ap, just not ablu to every noob, casual etc and thats all, not everyone ar able to get Dro-m'Athra Destroyer title and still not much people is able to get just skin from vMoL, you have get to deal with it not every acheivement, title is able to get for you if you dont playing to much and dont playing experienced/hardcore

pvp is fun and vMoL i had only to do a dps test and a test raid to join a guild that complete vMoL easily.
    But farming mats/gold alone isn't that funny, for myself.
    Maybe I don't have enough experience to farm gold at a insane fast level but i am not alone with this opinion.
    Farming maelstorm weapons feels like an absolute boring grind too.
    I know get better, grind faster but the problem is that it is just boring.
    I just can't see the challenge by grinding gold, sry.
    Only my opinion.
    PTS-EU
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I think large houses and manors prices should be doubled. No, I don't have that amount (neither my guild), but those kind of homes should be just really rare. Larges for stable guilds, manors for prospering trade guilds with lots of income.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I think large houses and manors prices should be doubled. No, I don't have that amount (neither my guild), but those kind of homes should be just really rare. Larges for stable guilds, manors for prospering trade guilds with lots of income.

Boo, hiss.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
  • Mataata
    Mataata
    ✭✭✭
    The prices seem like they're really meant for people who avidly sell stuff in the guild store market, who all have too much gold anyway. The most gold I have ever had saved up was 40k, and I've been playing since early beta and launch.

I think the smallest houses should be cheaper to accommodate for that.
    I love the Power Glove! It's so bad!
    i also do art and stuff i guess, here's my twitter
  • jaye63
    jaye63
    ✭✭✭✭
    My issue is availability. Unless everyone can eventually have a manor house, scrap it and start over.
  • xXSilverDragonXx
    xXSilverDragonXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've saved up plenty, over 6 million so this is not about me that I write this for because I'm not an all about me kind of selfish jerk.

Last night I was watching Deltia's stream on the update and he said he didn't have enough gold to buy the million gold homes jokingly and people throw money at him all the time (which I believe). This astounded me until I gave it some serious thought and recognized that there are gamers like deltia who spent a fortune on best gear, on builds, on the combat gaming aspect that don't have money to waste on a manse or even large house because it all goes into playing the combat/strategy non financial aspect of the game. Then there are those that do the financial aspect and have tons of money to spend on whatever manse we desire. So really, it's not particularly fair.

Sure I have over 6mil g and have only been playing since summer but I spent minimum gold on golding stuff (which can be a mini forutune if you have multiple toons). I get my builds from people who spend fortunes on them. I play the market and make my gold there, spend a lot of time doing that in game, more than most I suspect. So honestly, I don't think this is fair. People can say oh go make it and save it, but I for one don't want to see deltia or any gamer who likes to focus on the gaming more than the gold stop doing that because they would like a house. In the case of deltia, that would mean when he plays, if he has something to share we wouldn't see it because he would be making gold. We won't see his streams if we want to because he would be making gold. All because houses do come with the kind of price tag where you would have to give up that to do this making gold thing.

I feel like they should be scaled back a bit to realize just because you play this game a lot doesn't mean you spent much of that time amassing a fortune. You might be doing builds, dungeons, trials, pvp - anything that doesn't generate you tens of thousands and might more likely cost you all the money you get to keep up with update changes, top gear, pots for combat, etc.I feel like they should have taken that into consideration when the did this.
    Edited by xXSilverDragonXx on January 4, 2017 7:14PM
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fine with houses being expensive, but I don't fully agree with that mentality "you have to work for it". Yes, you have to work for it as long the work you are doing is somehow fun, since this is a game that you play when you don't have to work IRL, heh.

Hence I'd like to see more valuable (=gold) rewards in end game pve and pvp. It's very boring to just grind for gold. A lot of people log in and just have the time to do some pledges or play some pvp.
    Edited by Loves_guars on January 4, 2017 4:53PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On PC/NA, guilds with traders are begging people to join them. Join a guild. Sell left over holiday stuff, like the recipes, rune boxes, etc, and make a few thousand gold.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • jluchau
    jluchau
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like the housing prices are perfect. I want a manor and i'm a little shy of being able to get it, gives me something to work towards. Not everything in this game should be easy mode. Plus there are many housing options. Find one that fits you.
  • gothickaiserub17_ESO

They are in fact always recruiting, because of the 2 week to 1 month inactivity policy and always wanting to have all 500 slots filled. Ask around getting in to many of them is not hard.
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edziu wrote: »
    12000k gold just to get the achievements wth.
    Dat endless grind again.

like endless gring for gran overlord rank on pvp without being in PRO group to farm ap, just not ablu to every noob, casual etc and thats all, not everyone ar able to get Dro-m'Athra Destroyer title and still not much people is able to get just skin from vMoL, you have get to deal with it not every acheivement, title is able to get for you if you dont playing to much and dont playing experienced/hardcore

pvp is fun and vMoL i had only to do a dps test and a test raid to join a guild that complete vMoL easily.
    But farming mats/gold alone isn't that funny, for myself.
    Maybe I don't have enough experience to farm gold at a insane fast level but i am not alone with this opinion.
    Farming maelstorm weapons feels like an absolute boring grind too.
    I know get better, grind faster but the problem is that it is just boring.
    I just can't see the challenge by grinding gold, sry.
    Only my opinion.

pvp normally is also for fun for me but then farmin ap is just real struggle if I may to have fun from pvp, same like with maring mats/gold then, just farm, not fun
  • Blacksmoke
    Blacksmoke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you only have 70k on a good day your doing something wrong not the game :p on a good day I have 250k and i'm a pretty big spender..
    Champion point: 645
    Characters
    Ganlian Stormian - AD - Dungeon healer - Templar - Crafter
    Ondaril Stormian - AD - Trail DPS - Sorcerer
    Shagrod gro-Bolmog - AD - PVP - Dragonknight
  • bosmern_ESO
    bosmern_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The high rollers of ESO will be the ones with Manors, as it should be with an economy based system.
    ~Thallen~
  • Akimbro
    Akimbro
    ✭✭✭✭
    ereboz wrote: »
    The best houses obviously need to cost a bit, but 3 mil gold? I have 60k on a good day, how the hell are normal people that don't play 100+ hours a week supposed to come up with that kind of gold?

That's why there are different tiers of houses, and even a freebie. If you can't afford a manor house, buy something cheaper. It's not meant to be cheap...
    ALACRITY Emperors united RIP
    LAST PRODIGIES World first SO clear RIP

The last egg in the carton.
  • Beware13
    Beware13
    ✭✭✭
    Learn to work the market. It's just like any other aspect of the game you can "get good" at. I don't play as much as I use to but I still average a couple of million in the bank from keeping items listed in the traders.

PVG (Player Versus Gold) is something everyone can learn. Make gold by farming, by buying low and selling high or by selling your rewards of the worthy. @Blobsky has a money making guide and videos about trading, go check them out.

If you are on PC you should not complain about making money because you literally have addons that will help you search guild traders for items making it easier to buy and relist.

The manors that are 3.8 million will reward those players that have been on the game for a long time, not casuals or new players. There so many things in the game that now cater to casuals and/or people who don't have a lot of time put in. Yes I do contribute the amount of money I have somewhat to having 3000+ hours on the game but I would be highly disappointed if the manors were anything less. It's something to work toward. I consider it end-game material almost, it should be out of reach for some and obtainable by those who work for it.
    [XB1][NA] 805 CP - 8 Max toons
    [PC][NA] 351 CP - 4 Max toons

vMA Flawless • vMoL • vDSA • vAA HM • vHRC HM • vSO HM
  • Grileenor
    Grileenor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    House prizes are well done, ZOS. Stick to them :smile:
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaye63 wrote: »
    My issue is availability. Unless everyone can eventually have a manor house, scrap it and start over.

The houses are instanced, which means everyone can own all of them.

There's only 3 inn rooms and they're free - do you think that means only 3 people will be allowed to own them at a time? Of course not, everyone can own them and when they go in they'll be in their own copy, just like it is with the Harbourage and other instanced areas of the game.

And it's the same with the manors and all the houses in between. So yes they are available to everyone. You have to buy them obviously, but you can do it whenever you have the gold or crowns.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Hellsbunnies
    Hellsbunnies
    ✭✭✭
    The best houses obviously need to cost a bit, but 3 mil gold? I have 60k on a good day, how the hell are normal people that don't play 100+ hours a week supposed to come up with that kind of gold?

What's the point in having something that is top end if everyone gets it. This is what happens when tehy start giving prizes to all the little kiddies, at sports day, just for participating!
    Most known on PC EU server as The Samurai Pizza Cat.
    Twitter @HellsbunniesTV
  • Hellsbunnies
    Hellsbunnies
    ✭✭✭
    @ereboz are you saying that after hearing four months ago that housing was coming in and that I foresaw that it would be expensive spend the next four months saving, working out how to make money and saving every little bit, I should get the same as you who's put no effort in what-so-ever?
    Most known on PC EU server as The Samurai Pizza Cat.
    Twitter @HellsbunniesTV
  • cwy
    cwy
    ✭✭
    My plan to earn lots of gold is steal and fence things for a month or two. Steal only items worth 100g or more. Max the appropriate skills in Legerdemain and Thieves Guild so you can fence 140 items a day for 10% above cost. 140 items x 100g per item x 110% = 15400g per day. x 30 = 462000g per month. About 1 million in two months, or even more depending on how many 250g items you get. So it's kind of doable. The question is how many hours it would take to steal 140 items worth 100g each, because I haven't tried it yet. If it takes too much time it is probably not worth it. And most items are 40g only. In most houses, inns, mansion, etc., I usually find 2 to 5 100g items each (let's say average 3.5 items per place), spending about 5 minutes every time. To get 140 items, I would have to visit 140 / 3.5 = 40 such places. x 5 min = 200 minutes. Over 3 hours a day. Still a big chore.
    Edited by cwy on January 4, 2017 5:27PM
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do people think that economics isn't part of the game? It is - just like dungeons, trials, and PvP are. Yet not everyone "does" all of those, either. The same arguments about deciding to not put effort in and participate in the economic game and therefore not get the rewards from it also apply to not getting BOP gear without doing dungeons/trials, or not having access to alliance war skills without doing PvP. Just like the other parts of the game: if you don't put effort into it you won't get the rewards. In this case, that housing provides a wide range of options from free to 3M+ gold, and even crown store purchases, makes it even more forgiving for those who "opt out" of economics.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For sure the manors are designed with a guild house idea.

Basically the weekly money some guild require for bids will go into a gold sink for houses.

I'd expect to see larger guilds but all manors and attune some crafting stations as well as assistants.

It's really a good thing.
    My biggest and only fear are crown prices which should never go above 5k in crowns but really that's expensive IMO anyways for motifs, mounts, crown crates and stuff today.

Maybe the manors will fall under 2500 crowns each.

No offense, but you're dreaming if you think manors will be 2500 crowns.

If a mount can go for 2500 crowns, and a Banker can go for 5000 I fully expect these manors to go for 7500-10000 crowns.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fine with houses being expensive, but I don't fully agree with that mentality "you have to work for it". Yes, you have to work for it as long the work you are doing is somehow fun, since this is a game that you play when you don't have to work IRL, heh.

Hence I'd like to see more valuable (=gold) rewards in end game pve and pvp. It's very boring to just grind for gold. A lot of people log in and just have the time to do some pledges or play some pvp.

I could never argue with this. I don't currently do PvE endgame, but I absolutely thrive in PvP endgame and it's honestly quite rubbish in terms of rewards. The changes they're making to town capture bags might help with this, they really seem to be putting in the effort, but the issue is going to be that the good rewards (which you can then either use or sell to other players) are all doled out with seemingly pure RNG. That keeps the prices high, of course, since if you could just buy the good thing outright then it would sell for crap, but it also means that there's a strong probability that some folks just won't get anything good to use/sell, even if they're spending millions of AP on bags. I think a significant increase in Rewards For The Worthy gold would help out more and be a bit more reliable, but who knows.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
  • BoloBoffin
    BoloBoffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grileenor wrote: »
    House prizes are well done, ZOS. Stick to them :smile:

There is probably some way they know average gold stored by players, the flow of the economy, how much gold is generated per hour, per second even, and are pricing from that information. I concur with your statement.
    I ride in a zerg ball of one.