The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PTS Feedback Thread for Master Crafting Writs

• xXSilverDragonXx
    xXSilverDragonXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RNG is terrible. I got 1 in 10 writs. Another got 1 in I think 17. That is shameful.

The master writ I got required legendary kuta enchant. Are you serious? Someone has to spend a kuta to get one item from Rolis' inventory? Should be purple level I feel. Epic is very high. Kuta is, well, legendary. Lots of players don't even do legendary anything.

• CadaCosa
    CadaCosa
    ✭✭
    Please, help , where on earth is this person "Rolis Hlaalu, the Mastercraft Mediator" I simply cannot locate this person.
  • Lunachik
    Lunachik
    ✭✭✭
    I agree , having to use any legendary materials is going to be a big deterrent. :'(
    **Mara's Moxie * The Sidekick Order * Azura's Guidance *Hallowed Holes of Tamriel **
  • Blackfyre20
    Blackfyre20
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just so we are on the same page... Players do writs for a very small RNG chance at getting a master writ. For these master writs players have to craft legendary set weapons/armor in specific styles to get writ vouchers. Some of these legendary items must be crafted in a style that does not exist (that anyone knows of). These writ vouchers are then used to buy things for our house, but we have absolutely no idea how many vouchers we will actually get from a master writ or how many vouchers anything will actually cost. And then you want players to give you feedback on how this system works...?

Also thank you ZOS for another miserable RNG system, it's good to see you're listening to player feedback because that's what everyone has been asking for.

Buff Soft Caps
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Jesus "Legendary" gold gear, kutas, perfect roe, nirncrux, and Hakiejo

Are you serious, you guys have gone completely off the deep end. Obviously you mean for these super rare, exclusive, and only handfuls of people to be able complete with any regularity.

One of the biggest complaints on the forums is drop rates of gold tempers, they are hard to get, ridiculously expensive because of their rarity and in game market manipulation (which is going to get worse).

Perfect roe the only gold upgrade material you can not get through normal writs or a hireling. Pushing traffic to fishing or to the market place where roe was already extremely overpriced.

Effin nirncrux for real realz raid rewards and VMA or farming you ass off in craglorn for a crap drop rate.

Hakiejo, pushing traffic back to palace it left because the expience is less then desirable all the carrots in the world don make the expiemce better.

and motifs as if they were not expensive enough PS4 NA

I would say this wasn't well thought out but it was extremely thoughtful you are either rich and able to afford do these or you are running farming for ultra RNJesus tempers, materials, begging for scraps, or not playing.

I mean my best guess is your looking for this to be a huge time sink to accommodate what looks to be six months of the only new actual content being One Tamriel changes which shuffled the deck but didn't provide much in the he way of new content.

This is just downright depressing
    Edited by acw37162 on January 5, 2017 5:51AM
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've only gotten one so far.

It required making a legendary shield of the Varen's Legacy set.

Using legendary tempers for these? Only on the PTS... Won't even think about doing this on live.

Needing to go to a DLC area to craft this? I thought you guys were heading in the other direction with housing-related content. Needing a DLC to do something that gives you mostly housing-related rewards is not cool.
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the writs on my crafter just now, knows every motif except Drag and Yok and all 9 traits. Master crafter in all crafting skills and received no master writs. Instead of bumping the RNG, I would recommend setting the cool down to 5 minutes or so on the PTS that way we can give you a lot of data to evaluate in a short amount of time.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I tested it out a bit. I just used the ones you get with the template for today. Yeah, I am for sure not going to be super excited about doing these if it is going to require so much in gold mats.

And I'm not sure if this is known, but I was not able to actually buy anything. I had 2 tickets, the thing I tried to buy said it cost 1 ticket, and I got the response of you don't have enough tickets.

I'll test it out some more tomorrow, actually go pick up regular writs and see if I get any drops of the new ones.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quoting the dev post from my thread here for visibility:
    Tradeskill mastery (which determines your odds of receiving a master writ from a top tier writ reward box) is meant to imply a long-term dedication to the craft. This varies from tradeskill to tradeskill.

For Blacksmithing, Clothier, and Woodworking, this means motif knowledge and overall completion of trait research. This does not include Crown-exclusive motifs or motifs for the 9 base player races. It focuses on motifs that take some effort to learn – like Xivkyn, or Minotaur, or Celestial.
    For Provisioning, this is instead your collection of known purple and gold recipes as they are a strong overall representation of dedication to craft.
    With Enchanting, we instead look at the total overall rune word translations you’ve completed on that character.
    And with Alchemy, we look at how many reagents from which you’ve completely learned all effects.

Over time, the contributing factors for this may expand as the associated tradeskill mechanics do.

In summary: If you want to do the master writs for vouchers, do them for Alchemy, Enchanting and Provisioning. Much easier to "master".

I'll also echo what others have said in respect to multiple crafting characters:
    - Motifs have to be account wide (This would also make crown store motifs more attractive; Nobody's going to buy them 3 times for different crafters).
    - Vouchers have to be bankable.

And yes, legendary quality is way too much, at least for equipment.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • cellobuddy
    cellobuddy
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if attuned crafting stations can be sold. There might be a market in selling the crafting sets from DLC zones in guild traders to those w/out the DLC.

Has anyone had a master writ that required a motif from one of the events? The style materials are limited for those, and could only be obtained during the event. I see potential problems.
    PC NA
    Capped CP
    Breton Magsorc - Cellobuddy
    Argonian Magplar - Cellobuddyheals
    Altmer Magblade - Cellobuddysteals
    Dunmer MagDK - Cellobuddyburns
    Orsimer Stamsorc - Cellobuddyruns
    Redguard Stamplar - Cellobuddyjabs
    Khajiit StamDK - Cellobuddyslices
    Bosmer Stamblade - Cellobuddysnipes
    Altmer Magplar - Cellobuddybeams
    Nord DK - Cellobuddytanks
    Breton Magden - Cellobuddylistens
    Orsimer Stamden - Cellobuddyprotects
    Argonian Tankden - Cellobuddypaintswithwind

Not the best by any means, but I get the job done.
  • Lionheartt
    Lionheartt
    Soul Shriven
    CadaCosa wrote: »
    Please, help , where on earth is this person "Rolis Hlaalu, the Mastercraft Mediator" I simply cannot locate this person.

You may have already figured this out but he will only be visible to you after you start a Master Writ (don't need to complete it). Then you will find him at the spot where you turn writs in in each of the alliance capitals.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Annya Lionheart - Sorcerer - PC/NA

• Lionheartt
    Lionheartt
    Soul Shriven
    adirondack wrote: »
    I did the master writ "A Masterful Concoction" (got the quest via the template character)

Craft an Escapist's Poison IX with the following traits:
    - Unstoppable
    - Restore Magicka
    - Spell Critical

It asks me to create 20 of them.

I created poison using the only combination which can produce these effects. The recipe was alkahest solvent, columbine, lady's smock, and namira's rot. I did the crafting on a crafting station I placed in my newly furnished home.

Complaint #1: when creating poisons, at max level you generate 16 per craft, so I ended up with 32 of these. Wasteful.
    Complaint #2: the journal never updated with the quest completed.

I then switched to the potion version, just in case the quest was worded improperly. Same results. The quest never recognized that I make the poison. I could be wrong, but I believe that is the only recipe which can create those specific effects.

Earlier I successfully completed a blacksmithing master writ. Perhaps only the alchemy one needs some attention?

Ray

I had the same issue. Different poison and I used a public crafting station but the quest never advanced or recognized that the poisons were crafted.

Are we missing something or is this a bug?
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Annya Lionheart - Sorcerer - PC/NA

• Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cellobuddy wrote: »
    Has anyone had a master writ that required a motif from one of the events? The style materials are limited for those, and could only be obtained during the event. I see potential problems.

The holiday motifs are being used in the writs, I saw some for Skinchanger motif.

If the holidays return, this shouldn't be much of an issue, seeing as many people have thousands of Amber Marbles around. Prices in guild traders on PC EU for Amber Marble is around 55 currently, and around 200 for the Skinchanger mat, that's not a lot compared to other style mats.

Crown store motifs are excluded, as they should be. Or even better, maybe they should have been included, if the style mats were actually obtainable in the game somehow outside of using mimic stones.

All in all, market for mimic stones will probably go up because of Master Writs, which I'm sure ZOS expected all along.
  • Khairiah
    Khairiah
    ✭✭✭
    Not gonna happen.. Alloys are 20-25k on PS4..
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Using legendary tempers is faintly ridiculous imo - epic (purple) I could live with. But crafting an item for a writ that cost me over 50k in mats (and more like 80-90k for a blacksmithing item) to make seems a bit harsh. Reduce the requirements to epic and I will be happy, that would seem fair.

Also make it so the master writ doesn't try to automatically give you the quest when you retrieve it from the reward crate, it's all too easy to get a bit click-happy and use it and start the quest on an unintended character.
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • kinnikinnik
    kinnikinnik
    Soul Shriven
    I haven't received a master writ yet. I did six writs today (I only have one master crafter) and hopefully I will receive one next time around.

I decided to check out where Rolis Hlaalu is located in the world, and I guess since I don't have any master writs in my inventory, I can't see him? I have found where he should be standing in Wayrest and Elden Root at the writ turn in location (because other players appeared like the were talking to an npc that I couldn't see; either that or they chose weird spots to stand afk). It would be awesome if we could interact with Rolis before we have a master writ so we know what his stock is as an incentive to do the master writs. I know that, if this wasn't the test server and I hadn't read the patch notes, I would totally have abandoned any quest that would require me to make a legendary item to give away for unknown rewards. If you want people to do the master writs, it's a good idea to let people know the rewards they can trade them in for. I imagine people would push to get characters to master crafter level if they knew the rewards they could get once they get there. I know I'm personally considering making more of my characters master crafters just to increase my RNG odds. I had kept them staggered at different levels to be able to harvest different ore/wood/cloth types, but if the rewards for master writs are worth it, that might change.
  • Teridaxus
    Teridaxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im really curious how many vouchers will they demand?
    I guess 100 for a motif page probaly...
  • mlstevens42_ESO
    mlstevens42_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Okay I got one master writ only have attempted three different writs. These two girls had all traits for their specialties and were current for motifs before this particular addition.

I do agree with those that said the legendary mats for equipment as they need 8 per item crafted at that level. Not sure what the intent was with making it so the one had to have multiple crafting abilities all on one toon to do a furnishing item. I know one is a smith only one is clothier and woodworker the last crafter have yet to try out and she has the all consumables/enchants...so not quite sure what I am supposed to do with an pattern which requires clothier and enchant.

Anyway not sure about this right now seems a little expensive in more then one way.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Master Alchemy writ:
    Should do health potion with
    - Restore Health
    - Uncertainty
    - Spell Resist

I think this is undoable. Bugloss and Butterfly Wings give 2 restore health, 1 unecrtainty, 1 spell resist. Then only Nirnroot has Uncertainty but it has ravage health. No other ingredient with spell resist has uncertainty.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    master Provision writ:
    I need to make Orzorga's Blood Price Pie. I do have Orsinium DLC, but what if someone does not have it? Then only way to get the recipe is from guild store. Does the system check DLC status?
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Teridaxus
    Teridaxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    master Provision writ:
    I need to make Orzorga's Blood Price Pie. I do have Orsinium DLC, but what if someone does not have it? Then only way to get the recipe is from guild store. Does the system check DLC status?

Well non wrogthar people get wroghtar surveys from crafting writs for a long time and they may still not have fixed it (i bought wrogthar during the anniversary sale) and also treasure maps as loot.
    Also for a long time the undauted dailies included the dlc dungeons despite being behind a paygate and just recently they introduced a 3th npc for dlc dungeons.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    master Provision writ:

Ever heard of "tough luck"? Without the DLC you won't have access to the motifs either, outside trades and player to player purchases. This is good, this will encourage trading.

Many people here in this thread act as if Master Writs should be doable by every joe and mack in this game. It's clear the devs believe they should not. Average crafters already have access to the daily writs, these are called Master Crafter writs for a reason. Some times you will be able to do them, if not maybe you need to hunt down the relevant recipe or motif page to do it, if you can't craft it at all, consider putting it up for sale and at least earn some gold from passing it on to someone who is able to do it.

Not everyone should be able to do these Master Crafter writs. The only thing that should really be exempt from these quests (and are), are Crown Store exclusive purchases like the motifs, as long as we have no way of obtaining the style mats. Possibly the writs should also exclude some of the more expensive crafting materials, unless the droprate of those crafting materials are bumped up by a large margin.
    I mean, no one in their right mind will make a Rubedite greatsword in Ebonheart motif and Nirnhoned trait in Legendary quality - no matter how many vouchers you reward them for it. Material costs for that 1 item would be around 100k on PC. 100k!

Master writs also call for holiday recipes and styles, which is cool. I like how base game, timed events and DLCs all tie together in this.
    Edited by Carbonised on January 5, 2017 11:09AM
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so what would happen if i received a writ asking me to make:-
    1 legendary, hundings rage, sharpened dagger barbaric style
    on my Character that uses a legendary, hundings rage, sharpened dagger barbaric style

TBC i have no intetion of chasing master writs if they are going to require legendary materials - but this is PTS and i think this is a question that needs to be considerd/answered)
    Edited by bebynnag on January 5, 2017 11:18AM
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    cellobuddy wrote: »
    I wonder if attuned crafting stations can be sold. There might be a market in selling the crafting sets from DLC zones in guild traders to those w/out the DLC.

It is stated in the patch notes that attuning a craft station binds it, so you will not be able to sell an attuned one. The question that remains is if unattuned attunable craft stations are tradeable. That for me will be the only way to actually get them, by having guild mates help me collecting all required ones.

I will not bother with furnishing my house at all. All I personally will go for is having the useful set crafting station all in there. Considering the fact that legendary upgrade material is used, I'll limit my master writs to provisioning and alchemy.

While I do enjoy the concept of having a home and styling it immensely, the system as provided here is just too time consuming for my taste.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RNG is terrible. I got 1 in 10 writs. Another got 1 in I think 17. That is shameful.

The master writ I got required legendary kuta enchant. Are you serious? Someone has to spend a kuta to get one item from Rolis' inventory? Should be purple level I feel. Epic is very high. Kuta is, well, legendary. Lots of players don't even do legendary anything.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the RNG aspect in the first place. I don't mind having to craft difficult items, 9 trait sets in rare motifs and the like, but having a low chance of even getting the writ in the first place is very discouraging.

I'd rather see these master writs as a weekly quest than locked behind ever more RNG.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the RNG aspect in the first place. I don't mind having to craft difficult items, 9 trait sets in rare motifs and the like, but having a low chance of even getting the writ in the first place is very discouraging.

I'd rather see these master writs as a weekly quest than locked behind ever more RNG.

Actually the current system is quite clever. For Master Crafters, there is some RNG involved. But remember that thousands and thousands of other players are also doing their daily writs, and the Master Crafter writs they get, chances are many of them are unable or unwilling to make them. So what happens? They sell them in zone chat or in guild traders for a couple of bucks. And who picks them up? You and me and other dedicated crafters. Casual crafters prosper, as they can sell on the writs for gold, Master Crafters prosper as they can do the writs and reap the rewards, it's actually a rare case of win-win by making these writ quests tradeable and sellable instead of BoP.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay questions:
    Are the Master Writs like normal Writs as far as who crafted the item? So for example if a Writ calls for a Motif character 2 doesn't have, but character 1 DOES, can character 1 craft it and pass it to character 2 to complete the Writ?

Does the actual number of perk points sunk into a skill count towards 'mastery' (if I keep a character whose Blacksmithing is maxed at Steel ingots for the purpose of collecting low-level mats, does that count against him being a 'master'?
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay questions:
    Are the Master Writs like normal Writs as far as who crafted the item? So for example if a Writ calls for a Motif character 2 doesn't have, but character 1 DOES, can character 1 craft it and pass it to character 2 to complete the Writ?

Does the actual number of perk points sunk into a skill count towards 'mastery' (if I keep a character whose Blacksmithing is maxed at Steel ingots for the purpose of collecting low-level mats, does that count against him being a 'master'?

1) As far as someone experimented, you cannot turn in equipment made by someone else. Whether that goes for characters of the same account as well, I do not know. However, it would be easier to just move the writ to the character that is able to make the item. As far as someone said, writs are not transferable through the banking system, which sucks, but you could always send it via mail to a friend and have him bounce it back.

2) As far as the post by the devs said, what counts is motifs learned, traits researched, provisioning recipes learned, alchemy reagents discovered and runes decoded. Meaning your actual skill doesn't count in terms of chance for a writ drop.
  • Inferno3
    Inferno3
    Soul Shriven
    RdImTEl.jpg

Not sure if this is a bug or i'm just doing something wrong, but i'm tying to get something from Rolis Hlaalu with the mater writ vouchers and its saying I don't have enough to purchase anything even though the cost is only one. Anyone else experiencing this, or have i missed something?

Also, I agree with most of whats been said here, having to spend 80k+ to gold out a weapon or armour is a bit ridiculous. Maybe have them only require epic gear with the occasional gold? Not legendary gear every single time i get a blacksmithing or clothing writ. That being said I can see how they are meant to be very exclusive and only for the highest end game crafter.
    PC EU AD

Magicka Altmer Sorc - 9 Trait Crafter
    Magicka Altmer Temp
    Magicka Dunmer DK
    Magicka Breton NB
    Stamina Orc Sorc
    Stamina Khajiit NB
    Stamina Argonian DK
    Stamina Khajiit DK
    Stamina Khajiit Templar
  • Alanar
    Alanar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love the system. The complex interplay between the value of the tradeable invitations, the value of the materials (including legendary, nirncrux, hakeijo), and the value of the writ vouchers will create a very interesting and complex economy around master writs. The drop rate seems to be somewhere between 1/10 and 1/50 which works for me. I like having some aspirational crafting goals to work towards.