The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PTS Feedback Thread for Master Crafting Writs

• rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone ever figure out what the "Bandit" style was supposed to be? I'm assuming it's a codename for another style, like how Akatosh got renamed to Order of the Hour.

It's really bugging me (heh) that the writ is impossible to complete because it's asking me for a style that doesn't exist!
  • Dev
    Dev
    ✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    They're called "master crafter writs". Just sayin. Not "apprentice crafter writs".

Endgame farmers and crafters have needed something to do for a long, long time - something other than your easy to do daily craft quests. This is a good thing, and it really boggles me that some people are so negative about it. Is it just plain envy? "I can't make these, so no one should!". I mean, about 1 % of the player base will ever finish Vet Maw trial, do you see everyone go about moaning and complaining about that too?

I think most people here failed to realize that these master crafter writs aren't supposed to be doable for each and every player or character in the game. Think of it like vMA and vMoL for crafters and collectors.

@Enodoc , mate, I'm sorry but your argument doesn't make sense. There's plenty of advantage that can be bought in the Crown Store already. Bag space, bank space, mount upgrades, assistants. Those aren't cosmetics, those are advantages.
    The crucial point is whether those bought advantages are better than what you can get in the game the real way, and they aren't. And these motifs aren't either. You can buy them in the store - or buy/find them in the game.

Dude, its crafting, a means to an end. There is no reason to try and make it more complex then it needs to be. The only part that isnt easy is waiting for the traits to finish researching. There is no reason to bring in prestige/epeen based crafting.

Master writs using gold tempers, specific styles and gating the training dummies, aka only thing people will want in mass: this update is going to really flop.
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was happy thinking that all that time and gold spent in leveling crafting was going to pay off, but this doesn't look very good. I definitely can't afford using gold mats just for a chance of getting something in return, I can't even upgrade my gear to legendary and I'm not a new player.

• BlazingDynamo
    BlazingDynamo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the idea of master writs is great and gives a reason to do the normal writs. Only thing I asked to be changed is if the master writ requires gold quality gear could we please be rewarded more than 1 voucher? Otherwise most if not all people are gonna skip doing that one. Gold mats are far to expansive at this point in the game right now.
    Edited by BlazingDynamo on January 6, 2017 4:30PM
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you receive any Master Crafting Writs from the regular Crafting Writs?
    Yes , but not sure how they are trade-able as I did not see a actual master Crafting Writ item.
    When I opened a reward coffer the screen flashed and automatically created a journal entry.

Was it easy to understand exactly what you were crafting?
    Yes the required item description was very clear.

Do you have any other general feedback?
    How are they trade-able if they auto install to your journal?
    Can we get some idea of the number of vouchers needed if you have to craft a legendary item as the mats are hard to get.
    Having to get DLC items if you do not have the DLC is just wrong since the Master Crafting writs are not trad-able.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Nerdman9
    Nerdman9
    ✭✭
    I love the idea of a master crafting writ. Especially since the better you are at crafting (more trait and motif knowledge) effects how many you can get. I think the only reall problem is that you have to use gold tempers like everyone else has said here.

I honestly think it would be better to increase the ammount of vouchers it takes to purchase things and change the quality of items you have to craft to purple. Of course this is assuming that the original amount of vouchers planned is low for the moment with crafting gold quality items. It's just the idea that you have to do more master writs that you can ACTUALLY do. People just wont do gold quality items for writs after the first couple of weeks which would be a shame since the idea of master writs is well thought out and could be lots of fun.

I really hope they change this for release, i know at the moment i could only do maybe 2 master writs with the items i have, and don't want to spend my gold on more gold tempers, would rather spend it on the actuall house and increase more of my armour to gold quality to try and be better in raids. Thanks for listening to our opinions zos.
  • arvilla
    arvilla
    ✭✭✭
    majulook wrote: »
    Did you receive any Master Crafting Writs from the regular Crafting Writs?
    Yes , but not sure how they are trade-able as I did not see a actual master Crafting Writ item.
    When I opened a reward coffer the screen flashed and automatically created a journal entry.

Was it easy to understand exactly what you were crafting?
    Yes the required item description was very clear.

Do you have any other general feedback?
    How are they trade-able if they auto install to your journal?
    Can we get some idea of the number of vouchers needed if you have to craft a legendary item as the mats are hard to get.
    Having to get DLC items if you do not have the DLC is just wrong since the Master Crafting writs are not trad-able.

Just don't accept the mission and you will be able to see the master writ item in your inventory.
    Edited by arvilla on January 6, 2017 5:07PM
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went on PTS to check the writs today. A few observations made-

1. The master writs (any trade skill) have different rewards for Writ vouchers. it varies from 1 to 279 (the max i found).
    2. Master writs are salable, trad-able, bankable. SO if you don't wish to do the writ, you have other options, or if u get the writ on the character which does not have the required skil lto complete them, you can bank it and take it out with the character who can.
    3. Items bought from the Writ vouchers, can be trade/ sold/ banked.

A few things how ever were not clear-

1. What derives the quality of Writs in terms of writ voucher reward number as it varies hugely and i couldn't find any correlation between them.
    2. Since everything is sold for 1 writ voucher atm on the PTS, is it intended or another work in progress? If WiP, then we need to know the writ price of these items so that we can be prepared for upcoming grind fiesta.
    3. can the writ vouchers be traded? (Not the Master writ itself but the reward in terms of writ vouchers used to purchase items.)

Apart from that one major question- If i have saved some writ boxes from before DLC goes live, would they have a chance to drop Master writs later?

The information provided in the patch notes is very less and if you want us to give feedback then don't send us into the fight blindfolded but give something to hold on to.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_RichLambert
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • TerraDewBerry
    TerraDewBerry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    praxis wrote: »
    20K + achievement points, 6 maxed crafts, all motifs except the 4 releasing with this patch, all traits, all recipes known (except mythic ambrosia which might as well not exist it's so rare), all enchantments known, all reagents known for alchemy and poisons.

18 writs. 0 master writs.

Yayy more RNG and another grind for no reward. Is this supposed to be fun? Am I having fun? Why does this game not feel like fun anymore?

Maybe they should have called them "Holy Grail Master Crafting Writs" Seems the drop rate for these writs is a little low... :(
    Edited by TerraDewBerry on January 6, 2017 8:21PM
  • Paneross
    Paneross
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After playing some PTS I have discovered that Incapacitating Strike is so overpowered that if you're hit by it and immediately die to proc dmg. It prevents your character from ever doing Master Writs again.
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    Update on master writ drop rate.

54 Max level writs for 2 master writs.
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToxicPAWS wrote: »

Apart from that one major question- If i have saved some writ boxes from before DLC goes live, would they have a chance to drop Master writs later?

No.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3659058#Comment_3659058
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToxicPAWS wrote: »
    A few things how ever were not clear-

1. What derives the quality of Writs in terms of writ voucher reward number as it varies hugely and i couldn't find any correlation between them.
    2. Since everything is sold for 1 writ voucher atm on the PTS, is it intended or another work in progress? If WiP, then we need to know the writ price of these items so that we can be prepared for upcoming grind fiesta.
    3. can the writ vouchers be traded? (Not the Master writ itself but the reward in terms of writ vouchers used to purchase items.)

1: The variety is of course due to the vast difference in mat costs. Making a nirn golden sword costs about 100k, whereas crafting a handful of poisons or potions would cost a few k at best. So of course the weapon rewards you with a large amount of vouchers, whereas the alchemy one rewards you with only a few.

2: They already said that on PTS everything costs 1 voucher, and that this is not how it's going to be on live. The actual price hasn't been confirmed yet, though.

3: Yes, the rewards are unbound, as are the writs themselves.

Lastly, no, saved boxes will not work retroactively, devs already confirmed this.

And to all the people complaining about droprate for writs, you're missing the bigger picture here. Writs aren't supposed to be made daily. I mean, how many of you would hand in an item requiring a nin and 8 alloys every day? You do them now and again, get a large amount of vouchers, that's it.

Also, writs are sellable, meaning of all those many thousands that do basic writs, how many will actually have the skill and motivation to do their master writs? A fraction. Thus, all those people picking up writs that don't have any interest in doing them, or lacking the skill, will sell them on to those who can. Please remember that when you moan about the low droprate.
  • xXSilverDragonXx
    xXSilverDragonXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    If they were only sourced in-game, I would agree. But you can buy motifs on the Crown Store, and that hasn't been a major issue since they have only been cosmetic (per the purpose of the Crown Store). If they start having a meaningful function in gameplay, outside cosmetics, that means it's an advantage you can buy.

Motifs should not count. I agree with this because part of this means that if you buy in the store you are rewarded with this system. Sketchy at best. If you play in the game and try to hunt them down, get them through gaming, through trials, etc then you may never get a full set because of the drop system and for some of them the price.

I don't buy in store. I seek some out and I game farm others. That is shown in my motifs:

Thieves 2/14; dwemer 12/14; DC 4/14; AD 2/14; merc 14/14; celestial 7/14; xivkyn 7/14; assassins 7/14; outlaw 5/14
    event full hollow/skinchanger
    DB, order, trinimac, malcath, EP, Dro'm, Abah's, Ancient Orc, Minotaur, Yokudan, Akaviri, Draugr 0/14

My research however is:

LIGHT -- chest, boots, hood done; arm 1 in progress, 1 to go; legs, epaulests final in progress; sash 1 left

MEDIUM -- Chest, boots 2 left; arm 1 left; helm, shoulders, waist 3 left; pants done

HEAVY -- chest, pauldrons, gauntlets done; boots, helm, waist final in progress; leg 1 left

Wood all but bow done, bow on last in progress

heavy weapons heavy 4 axes, 2 mace, 6 sword, 5 dagger, 2 battleaxes

I am quite far along on all my research and not really a slacker on motifs, but I don't really farm them nor do I buy them with crowns. I've been crafting in this game since early on. If I don't qualify as a master crafter then I guess you have to be 'complete' on all things to qualify. At this point I am ready to say if they don't adjust this from the legendary and fix horrible drop master writs then I'm done with this game. It shows exactly where their heart is, in their wallet. I get that they are in the business to make money, but as of late they have crossed the line from gaming to gambling. Here we are with that again. Don't like it. Don't need it. Don't want it. And I won't be the only one to be done either.
    Edited by xXSilverDragonXx on January 6, 2017 10:30PM
  • Grileenor
    Grileenor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, writs are sellable, meaning of all those many thousands that do basic writs, how many will actually have the skill and motivation to do their master writs? A fraction. Thus, all those people picking up writs that don't have any interest in doing them, or lacking the skill, will sell them on to those who can. Please remember that when you moan about the low droprate.
    Hm... not acceptable. You shouldn't depend on other people perhaps selling their stuff, when you want to do master writs. Two out of 54 is way to low. When housing hits live, loads of people will want to craft furniture, to outfit their home and especially build/place workbenches. With your way of thinking master writs will become the most hated feature of the game easily. Btw, alchemy, cooking an enchantment have quite low requirements. They only offer low amounts of vouchers, but everyone can do them. Those with strange motifs and golden hardeners won't be popular anyway.

Edited by Grileenor on January 6, 2017 10:24PM
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since I became an "all 9s" crafter on my main on Christmas Day, I say bring it on. I already got all the gear I need. I do think I'll be buying every Tempering Alloy under 20k on XBox today though.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grileenor wrote: »
    Hm... not acceptable. You shouldn't depend on other people perhaps selling their stuff, when you want to do master writs. Two out of 54 is way to low. When housing hits live, loads of people will want to craft furniture, to outfit their home and especially build/place workbenches. With your way of thinking master writs will become the most hated feature of the game easily. Btw, alchemy, cooking an enchantment have quite low requirements. They only offer low amounts of vouchers, but everyone can do them. Those with strange motifs and golden hardeners won't be popular anyway.

"You shouldn't depend on other people perhaps selling their stuff, when you want to do master writs." - Says who? Says you. When devs made the writs sellable and tradeable, they clearly had trade in mind. You don't like that? That's your opinion, and you don't even do the effort of making a logical argument for it.

When housing hits live, loads of people will want to craft furniture, to outfit their home and especially build/place workbenches. - Master writs aren't required for workbenches. They're required for the attuned ones, and those are a luxury good, not something that's meant to be commonplace. You want one but can't get it yourself? Buy it on the market.
    The actual amount of recipes from the master crafter merchant is actually rather small, little more than a handful.

Btw, alchemy, cooking an enchantment have quite low requirements. - No they don't Enchanting requires Kuta and Hakeijo. That's not exactly low requirements. Provisioning requires purple and gold ingredients, and no least requires you to have the recipes, some of them are excedingly rare. Not exactly low requirements either.
  • slpatonrwb17_ESO
    slpatonrwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    An enchanting master crafting writ called for an 'epic' quality rune... this description doesn't align with the description for Rekuta which is 'artifact' quality...
  • Seri
    Seri
    ✭✭✭✭
    acw37162 wrote: »
    One of the biggest complaints on the forums is drop rates of gold tempers, they are hard to get, ridiculously expensive because of their rarity and in game market manipulation (which is going to get worse).
    Akwila wrote: »
    The regular writs are already borderline not worth the input (in terms of gold and what you actually put into it) but some times pays off if you get a gold temper. If.

Incidentally, I did two complete sets of writs on PTS and got 2 Kuta, 2 Temp Alloys, 2 Dreugh Wax and 2 Rosin. Assuming that's not a 'PTS only' change and combine that with the number of people who would be doing writs, it should drop the prices (or at least keep them steady when combined with master writs).
    EP CP160+ Templar, Sorc, NB
    DC CP160+ Templar, Sorc, DK
  • DenniMyuu
    DenniMyuu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seriously? Requires golden tempers. Nope. Green to purple would be okay. Like golden tempers drop like worms from zombies. I don't wanna do writs and farm nodes all day. The rewards are by far not worth 8 of my precious golden tempers.
    Possessed Myuutikora | Argonian | Templar | Healer | Master Angler • Goddess Goni | Argonian | Warden | Healer
    » vMSA Flawless • vDSA • vHRC HM • vAA HM • vSO HM • vMOL HM • vHOF HM • vAS +2 • vCR +3 • vBRP «

» finally retired | Goni & Guar ♥ « | » PC EU Vivec « | » since beta «
  • Zariah
    Zariah
    ✭✭✭
    For my Masterful Concoction writ quest, I was asked to craft Stealth-Draining Poison IX, but no matter how many I did, it didnt show any progression, so I couldn't complete it.
    Edited by Zariah on January 7, 2017 11:33AM
  • Stamden
    Stamden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright I haven't had a chance to play PTS yet, but I have some questions:

1. These Master Writs are gotten from doing regular crafting writs, but the chance of getting them is completely random?

2. What is this "tradeskill" mechanic? Aside from the normal 1-50 leveling on character sheet, is there a place to view your tradeskill?

3. What are the rewards for doing a "high tier" master writ as opposed to a "low tier" master writ? Surely something that needs legendary mats to be done must have a really damn good reward, right?
    PC NA

~Currently taking a break from the game until my DK can become something more than just a crafter~
  • PS4_ZeColmeia
    PS4_ZeColmeia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »
    Yeah I definitely see a problem with the mutiple crafting skill requirements ON ONE SINGLE crafter to craft many of the rare recipes.

I don't really know many crafters who craft everything on one character: 2 or more crafters is the norm.

This definitely sucks.

Also... my first master writ called for crafting a legendary shield. Legendary tempers are not cheap. Maybe tone that down and make purple level the top end?

Glad I only played one character up until recently, crafting, PvE and PvP in one central place is definitely gonna help because of this.
    PSN: ***___Chan (3 _s)
    Hybrid, All-Role NB
  • bugmom
    bugmom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got one master writ so far but have already given up on them. Seems like it is mostly a way for the rich to get richer. Those of us who have master crafters but spend most of our time saving Tamriel in PvP will just fall farther and farther behind those who spend their time acquiring more and more gold. A lot like real life I suppose but I wouldn't call it fun. I have learned so much motif that I will never use that it's just silly. If I have gold mats I use them to craft or improve much needed armor for Cyrodiil - though crafted sets are of little use there anymore. I've never gotten a single page of Psijic so something new that is RNG from writs just makes me more frustrated with writs. Yes, it's good to do something for master crafters but this just seems a mess.
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭

78 Max level writs for 2 master writs.
  • Ninane
    Ninane
    Master Alchemy Writ Quest Bug

I've looked at this 15 times, and I am sure this is a bug and I'm not just doing something stupid (I really hope)...

Master Alchemy Writ:
    Craft a Ward-Draining Poison IX with the following Traits:
    Increased Spell Resist
    Protection
    Defile

That combination should be Alkahest + White Cap (Increased Spell Resist) + Mubcrab Chitin (Increased Spell Resist, Protection and Defile) + Nightshade (Protection and Defile).

This creates a "Ward-Draining Poison IX" that inflicts Minor Breach, Minor Vulnerability & Minor Defile. However, that didn't work. I made over 100 of them but my Quest Journal still says "Progress: 0/20"

So I tried Alkahest + Bugloss (Increased Spell Resist) + Nightshade (Protect and Defile) + Mubcrab Chitin (Increased Spell Resist, Protection and Defile).

This basically creates the same poison, "Ward-Draining Poison IX", it's just not as good as the first one (doesn't last as long because the Restore Health trait on the Bugloss conflicts with the Ravage Health trait on Nightshade). This did not give me any credit either.

I'm pretty sure these are the only two answers to the test question, but the writ doesn't progress. I guess I'll drop it and do a different one, but I thought I should point it out, especially as this is the first Master Alchemy Writ I've tried. Let's hope this is the only one.

Oh - and the writ was transfer from one of my characters to the other via the bank (if that has any relevance).
    Edited by Ninane on January 7, 2017 10:04PM
  • johu31
    johu31
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elephant42 wrote: »

I'm a console player monitoring pts info. Those with low drop rates, do you own all or most motiffs?
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    johu31 wrote: »
    Elephant42 wrote: »

I'm a console player monitoring pts info. Those with low drop rates, do you own all or most motiffs?

I'm doing 6 writs on each of 4 chars per day.
    #1 is a template char with everything available in the template learned.
    #2 is my master crafter, 9 traits in everything, all base game motifs, full Xivkin, glass, trinimac, imperial, mercenary, pact, hollowjack, soul shriven and skinchanger. He has nothing in harlequin, yokudan, dark brotherhood and akaviri. He has part knowledge of all the rest (~50% coverage). He knows ~50% green recipes and ~25% blue and purple, knows all the DLC and event recipes. He has 100% alchemy knowledge and 100% enchanting knowledge.
    #3 is my master chef. She has 8 traits in everything all the base motifs and not much more, She knows 100% green recipes, ~75% blue and ~50% purple. Knows all the DLC and event recipes. She knows ~50% of enchating and ~30% alchemy.
    #4 is my sorc. He has half a dozen traits only. He knows about the same recipes as my mastercrafter. He has 100% enchanting knowledge and 100% alchemy knowledge.

Note that all the above chars have every crafting level passive at max.
    Edited by Elephant42 on January 7, 2017 10:47PM
  • slpatonrwb17_ESO
    slpatonrwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    9 master writs from 62 hand-ins

What is Bandit style? Certainly not something my master crafter had who is only lacking Yokudan and crown store purchased styles...

It will be near impossible to complete master writs when the quests require styles you don't have...

• Seri
    Seri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ninane wrote: »
    This creates a "Ward-Draining Poison IX" that inflicts Minor Breach, Minor Vulnerability & Minor Defile. However, that didn't work. I made over 100 of them but my Quest Journal still says "Progress: 0/20"
    [...]
    I'm pretty sure these are the only two answers to the test question, but the writ doesn't progress. I guess I'll drop it and do a different one, but I thought I should point it out, especially as this is the first Master Alchemy Writ I've tried. Let's hope this is the only one.

In addition to my earlier comment about seemingly improved gold temper drop-rate, for those that missed this from the PTS patch note 'known issues' section:
    • In rare cases, it is possible to receive an Alchemy Master Writ that requires an impossible combination of effects.
    • Alchemy Master Writs that require poisons cannot currently be completed.
    EP CP160+ Templar, Sorc, NB
    DC CP160+ Templar, Sorc, DK