Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Bring back the dwarf race???

• ArrerBoy
    ArrerBoy
    ✭✭✭
    More elves?! No!

T0p8x98.png
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    Iluvrien wrote: »
    Narrative continuity isn't an excuse. It is part of what makes the TES series one of the better series' out there. There aren't massive rewrites or retcons on the basis of what "might be cool"

Clearly, you didn't play Oblivion :tongue:

Lore on Cyrodiil, pre-TES4: "It is the largest region of the continent, and most is endless jungle. Its center, the grassland of the Nibenay Valley, is enclosed by an equatorial rain forest and broken up by rivers."

It was supposed to be a much more humid environment, which is understandable given how the Imperials were always modelled after the Romans. Then the Lord of the Rings film trilogy happened and Bethesda decided to turn tropical Cyrodiil into the gently rolling hills and oak forests of medieval Britain, and even threw out all the Roman-esque Imperial army outfits and replaced them with medieval inspired rusty plate. Luckily they backtracked on a lot of those armour changes with Skyrim, but the environment of Cyrodiil is now set in stone.

I know some people like to use the unofficial Thu'um lore fix here, saying Tiber Septim used the power of the voice to shout away the jungles of Cyrodiil and replace them with fertile grasslands and deciduous forests and woodland, but keep in mind that takes place long after ESO, and in ESO we still have a non-jungle, British countryside Cyrodiil.

I'm still very much in favour of sticking to lore and keeping the Chimer out of ESO. But let's not pretend Bethesda aren't fond of ignoring their own lore in favour of mimicking popular culture. Heck, even Whiterun in Skyrim ignores environmental lore since despite claiming to be tundra is clearly modelled after the plains of Rohan - a completely different biome. Tundra in autumn is not brown grasses, but Bethesda will always Bethesda. This is tundra in autumn, and what a lore friendly Skyrim should look like:

forces-of-nature-red-autumn-landscape-snow-colors-alaskan-mountains-alaska-plants-tundra-fall.jpg

You partially quoted the phrase and misread the point. There aren't massive rewrites or retcons of the lore based on popular culture if, and I quote myself here, "it is likely to damage the long-term health of the setting". The changes to Cyrodiil didn't harm the setting. As you point out, the changes were brought about in what can be considered a successful game. So did they damage the setting? No, as others have pointed out, there is much that can be done with unreliable narration and this change took nothing from the series that could not be provided elsewhere.

Do I think return of the Dwemer could be done without removing something intrinsic from the series and setting? No.

These are different cases.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    Narrative continuity isn't an excuse. It is part of what makes the TES series one of the better series' out there. There aren't massive rewrites or retcons on the basis of what "might be cool"

Clearly, you didn't play Oblivion :tongue:

Lore on Cyrodiil, pre-TES4: "It is the largest region of the continent, and most is endless jungle. Its center, the grassland of the Nibenay Valley, is enclosed by an equatorial rain forest and broken up by rivers."

It was supposed to be a much more humid environment, which is understandable given how the Imperials were always modelled after the Romans. Then the Lord of the Rings film trilogy happened and Bethesda decided to turn tropical Cyrodiil into the gently rolling hills and oak forests of medieval Britain, and even threw out all the Roman-esque Imperial army outfits and replaced them with medieval inspired rusty plate. Luckily they backtracked on a lot of those armour changes with Skyrim, but the environment of Cyrodiil is now set in stone.

I know some people like to use the unofficial Thu'um lore fix here, saying Tiber Septim used the power of the voice to shout away the jungles of Cyrodiil and replace them with fertile grasslands and deciduous forests and woodland, but keep in mind that takes place long after ESO, and in ESO we still have a non-jungle, British countryside Cyrodiil.

I'm still very much in favour of sticking to lore and keeping the Chimer out of ESO. But let's not pretend Bethesda aren't fond of ignoring their own lore in favour of mimicking popular culture. Heck, even Whiterun in Skyrim ignores environmental lore since despite claiming to be tundra is clearly modelled after the plains of Rohan - a completely different biome. Tundra in autumn is not brown grasses, but Bethesda will always Bethesda. This is tundra in autumn, and what a lore friendly Skyrim should look like:

forces-of-nature-red-autumn-landscape-snow-colors-alaskan-mountains-alaska-plants-tundra-fall.jpg

You partially quoted the phrase and misread the point. There aren't massive rewrites or retcons of the lore based on popular culture if, and I quote myself here, "it is likely to damage the long-term health of the setting". The changes to Cyrodiil didn't harm the setting. As you point out, the changes were brought about in what can be considered a successful game. So did they damage the setting? No, as others have pointed out, there is much that can be done with unreliable narration and this change took nothing from the series that could not be provided elsewhere.

Do I think return of the Dwemer could be done without removing something intrinsic from the series and setting? No.

These are different cases.

I think we are all arguing the same thing here.

No dwemer in ESO, except for easter eggs like the Rkindaleft one. It just doesn't fit.
    Edited by Abeille on November 24, 2016 12:16PM
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abeille wrote: »
    Oh, by the way, since this is a Dwemer thread...
    Orsinium Spoilers:
    I feel compelled to post the Dwemer of Rkindaleft.

KMcGobK.jpg

I firmly believe that, despite using the Altmer model (like the Ayleid and the Maormer do, too), that guy right there is a Dwemer. I wish he had a beard, though.
    Does he survive his ordeal in Rkindaleft? (I haven't done that dungeon yet.)
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Orsinium Spoilers:

KMcGobK.jpg

I firmly believe that, despite using the Altmer model (like the Ayleid and the Maormer do, too), that guy right there is a Dwemer. I wish he had a beard, though.

You have the option to kill him or to leave him there. If you leave him there, he says his body will slowly decay for many years before he finally dies.

Either way, if you go back to the instance after the quest he isn't there anymore :(
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:

Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orsinium Spoilers:

KMcGobK.jpg

You have the option to kill him or to leave him there. If you leave him there, he says his body will slowly decay for many years before he finally dies.

Either way, if you go back to the instance after the quest he isn't there anymore :(
    Ah okay. If his survival was guaranteed, I would go so far as to make a suggestion, considering his name is never revealed. But since that's not the case, the suggestion would be invalid.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orsinium Spoilers:

KMcGobK.jpg

Ah okay. If his survival was guaranteed, I would go so far as to make a suggestion, considering his name is never revealed. But since that's not the case, the suggestion would be invalid.

Were you going to suggest that maybe he's our Corpus infected Dwemer friend from Morrowind? ;)

Either way I freaked out a little bit as I think the Harmonic Auditor is definitely a Dwemer. He's wearing the Dwemer style robes. And he's creepy. Kill it with fire.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »
    Orsinium Spoilers:

KMcGobK.jpg

Were you going to suggest that maybe he's our Corpus infected Dwemer friend from Morrowind? ;)

Either way I freaked out a little bit as I think the Harmonic Auditor is definitely a Dwemer. He's wearing the Dwemer style robes. And he's creepy. Kill it with fire.

I took pity on him, despite everything. He seemed to be suffering so much. I never kill NPCs on my main (given the option), she is too compassionate for that, but exactly because of her compassion she couldn't just leave him there to decay for years, not like that.

The mer is speaking of tonal animus, too. I would be surprised if he wasn't Dwemer.
    Edited by Abeille on November 24, 2016 5:21PM

Meet my characters:

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »
    Orsinium Spoilers:

KMcGobK.jpg

I was indeed :)
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dwemer (aka dwarfs) are extinct in the time of ESO.
    The answer might be not completely. The last known Dwemer in existence is around during the events of Morrowind the game. Plays a part in the storyline with corpus disease. If he was alive during that time I would say he's around during ESO.
  • KramUzibra
    KramUzibra
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »
    You could also know basic Elder Scrolls lore to know that this won't happen.

You could also not care about the lore

True but again its a thing with Bethesda so it doesn't matter what you I or anyone else think or want. That said I like the lore the way it is but that's me.

Whos to say Bethesda won't come up with some weird story that would allow the dwemer to return.
  • KramUzibra
    KramUzibra
    ✭✭✭✭
    SaRuZ wrote: »
    Excuses to confine it? Sorry but for longtime fans of TES series, rewriting something as significant as the disappearance of an entire race to cater to new people would be completely irrational. Morrowind, the best TES game imo, wrote the book on the dwemer and why they vanished. Play it sometime.

Before skyrim most fans argued that dragons could not be introduced since they are all extinct and because we'll lore but Bethesda creativity found a way to reintroduce dragons back into the elderscrolls
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    KramUzibra wrote: »

True but again its a thing with Bethesda so it doesn't matter what you I or anyone else think or want. That said I like the lore the way it is but that's me.

Whos to say Bethesda won't come up with some weird story that would allow the dwemer to return.
    Why? Why is it so important that the Dwemer must return?
    Edited by Rosveen on November 24, 2016 5:29PM
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »

Why? Why is it so important that the Dwemer must return?

They hold the answers we seek.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excuses to confine it? Sorry but for longtime fans of TES series, rewriting something as significant as the disappearance of an entire race to cater to new people would be completely irrational. Morrowind, the best TES game imo, wrote the book on the dwemer and why they vanished. Play it sometime.

Before skyrim most fans argued that dragons could not be introduced since they are all extinct and because we'll lore but Bethesda creativity found a way to reintroduce dragons back into the elderscrolls

In a game that happens at the latest point in the Timeline.

ESO happens in the middle of it, which is why it is a completely different situation.

Meet my characters:

• Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

There are some options. ESO has these quests that send you back in time, one where you meet the Ayleid king at the moors battle. Another where you interact with the chimer (before they became the Dunmer). ZOS can always have a quest that sends us back to hang out with the Dwemer. Another option is always an ES game that takes place in the 1st Era when the Dwemer were plentiful.

As I mentioned a few times in this thread the last known living dwemer featured in Morrowind the game is technically alive in the time of ESO (right?). With a Vvardenfell DLC might we run into him?

But my personal opinion is that Elder Scrolls is like a cake with layers. There is the base of the cake, the set in stone lore if you will, and then the upper layers (and frosting of course) which is where the games take place. Where the flavor and colors change. It's not impossible as I explained but i have a feeling that for ZOS/Bethesda the Dwemer are part of the core lore that won't change. They are gone and the player will always touch upon the mystery through exploration and quests, but I don't think lore will be added to the Dwemer story to the point where they return.

This is what Scipio believes. Happy thanksgiving to ZOS and to the players.
    Edited by Publius_Scipio on November 24, 2016 7:11PM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How can you play this game and now care about the world it's in? That feels insulting. Elder Scrolls isn't a $5 hooker.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • xX_NachtJager_xx
    xX_NachtJager_xx
    ✭✭✭
    AzuraKin wrote: »
    ye there only 1 dwemer left and he kinda of a recluse.

Maybe he could bang some chick and create a new race. Half dwarven and half khajit ;) lol

CP460 Magsorc, Stamblade, Templar Healer, DK Tank. AKA the drunken nord
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They might. For a game set -after- Skyrim...
    But we -know- from the lore in the other TES games which are set centuries after ESO, that in all the time between the battle of red mountain and the events of TES:Skyrim, there have -never- been any dwemer returnings. So, no dwemer returnings in ESO either, otherwise people in later times would talk about it.
    AzuraKin wrote: »
    ye there only 1 dwemer left and he kinda of a recluse.
    Maybe he could bang some chick and create a new race. Half dwarven and half khajit ;) lol
    Actually in Tamriel lore, any child of mixed parentage will not be a halfbreed, but will be of its mothers race (though with the occasional feature from daddy). I assume that some combinations are less likely to be viable and carried to term then others though... and there certainly must be some way for mixed blood to breed true, to explain the bretons - might be magic involved.
    But back to the "mothers race" thing... since the last dwemer is a guy, he cannot repopulate the race, so to speak. Although, if you ever see a dunmer with curly hair... who knows about that ones parentage? ;)
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    He's not exactly in any sort of condition to procreate anyway.

B46eaTNIcAE5LM9.jpg
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • DragonBound
    DragonBound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is what I am taking from this thread, everyone here rather argue then actually have a fun discussion about dwemer lore, just saying:)
  • alexkdd99
    alexkdd99
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not rewrite. Anything can happen, there is after all magic. Maybe there was time travel or people that were thought to of been dead weren't really dead. Cater to new people? Isn't that the whole direction eso is going?

Maybe there is some magic time portal that appears, who knows.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

How can you play this game and now care about the world it's in? That feels insulting. Elder Scrolls isn't a $5 hooker.

Actually it pretty much is.how much of the lore/game have they broken? I don't play for the "lore", I play cause its a decent game when it works.if I want "lore" I'd read a book. Lore doesn't mean truth btw,it's myth and legend and it's written by the development not players.get off the pulpit already.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Actually it pretty much is.how much of the lore/game have they broken? I don't play for the "lore", I play cause its a decent game when it works.if I want "lore" I'd read a book. Lore doesn't mean truth btw,it's myth and legend and it's written by the development not players.get off the pulpit already.

I'm not an expert on ES lore, but since forever people have said ESO has broken some lore. What exactly was broken? I don't think ESO shook any core ES lore or did anything that would not make sense with the single player ES games.

And wasn't ESO's time period chosen so that the writers had some space to write as they pleased? The interregnum.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glurin wrote: »
    He's not exactly in any sort of condition to procreate anyway.

B46eaTNIcAE5LM9.jpg
    That is how he is in TES:Morrowind, roughly 750 years after the events of ESO... a lot of change can happen in those years, especially considering that the disease which will bloat him is not the epidemic in ESO that it will be in TES:morroind, mostly due to dargoth ur still napping at red mountain...
  • DrkHunter86
    DrkHunter86
    ✭✭✭
    Carraig wrote: »
    In the (legendary) game Morrowind there were enemy dwemer ghosts in delves. Also the last known living dwemer was a big part of the storyline. Come to think of it, unless I'm mistaken, if he was around during the events of Morrowind that would mean he is technically around during ESO.

That is a distinct possibility. That could mean that we can encounter him when Vvardenfell becomes part of the game.

Not sure about the lifespan of the dwemer but I'm pretty sure there's several hundred years between eso and morrowind (the latter in the timeline)
  • DrkHunter86
    DrkHunter86
    ✭✭✭
    Too get this for everyone. Around the 1st era year 700 the dwemer vanished....2nd era 583 the events of eso take place....3rd era 427 the events of morrowind take place according too lore gathered by several sites I've looked into.although I feel at least one may be inaccurate as it states there only 4 years between morrowind and oblivion. I'm pretty sure the time gap there is about 200 years really but here's a link too see for yourself. http://m.ign.com/wikis/elder-scrolls-online/Elder_Scrolls_Timeline
  • DrkHunter86
    DrkHunter86
    ✭✭✭
    builder680 wrote: »
    Would need a game set before 1E 700 (appx 2800 years before ESO) to have playable Dwemer.

@WhitePawPrints
    The Second Era began appx 2220 years after the disappearance of the Dwemer (the 1st era was 2920 years long). 2E year 1 marks the fall of the Reman Dynasty, and the beginning of direct rule over Tamriel by the Akaviri potentates. In 2E 572, the Akaviri invaders were defeated.

This begins a period known as The Interregnum, a decade or so into which ESO is set. The "Emperors" of this period (such as the ones you see crowned in-game) never controlled much more than Cyrodiil, and are largely forgotten to TES history. In 2E 896, Tiber Septim will complete his conquest of all Tamriel and usher in the Third Era.

433 years after THAT, Martin Septim will end the Oblivion Crisis be defeating Mehrunes Dagon, a Daedric Prince doing pretty much what Molag Bal is doing in ESO. That will mark the beginning of the Fourth Era. 200ish years later, the events in Skyrim will take place.

Why you gotta put it like that man. I don't wanna be considered forgotten lol.. Stupid lore anyways
  • DrkHunter86
    DrkHunter86
    ✭✭✭
    CosmicSoul wrote: »
    Guys it does not matter dwemer are not dwarfs they are deep looking elves, if anything we need another beast race or a really short race.

Yup! The Gummi Bears! Beast and small!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97QkO7nAn68
    Guys it does not matter dwemer are not dwarfs they are deep looking elves, if anything we need another beast race or a really short race.

We really need a large quadripeddle race thats have man half bear and half pig... And more Al Gore.... He could be the new maiq the Lia lol
  • DrkHunter86
    DrkHunter86
    ✭✭✭
    Orsinium Spoilers:

KMcGobK.jpg

Not a dwemer sir.... Not even close