Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

So they did it, they screwed up crafting material collecting

Holycannoli
Holycannoli
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
All harvest nodes now scale to your combat level or applicable crafting passive rank.

So now our high level, max level crafters can't collect the materials needed to craft lower level gear. This is exactly what I was afraid of. Your blacksmith is cp531 and 50 blacksmithing? He's never, ever going to be able to collect lower level ore/ingots again. You have a new character you're leveling and want your blacksmith to make him new heavy armor and weapons as levels? He has to collect the ore himself, which possibly means by the time he's collected enough for a full set he may be ready for the next tier. You're probably better off just skipping it all and leveling him straight to 50; it's not like he will need the gear anyway since he will be OP battle scaled.

You want to buy the ingots instead? Good luck, nobody is going to have any for sale. They will become extremely rare.

You want to craft gear for newer players in your guild? You're screwed. You can't collect what they need, they have to. And they only have a limited window where they can, because once they level past that material they'll never be able to get it again.

There was no need for this change. Crafters can't collect resources they used to be able to collect just because they leveled? Wtf kind of crafting system forever locks out the previous lower level resources like that? I'll give you the answer: a lousy kind.

This was OK for Orsinium because we still had the old world to collect resources in. This does not work for the entire world though. There are some very interesting changes in One Tamriel but between this lousy change and the fact that dungeon and trial gear will be bind on pickup, I question if I want to remain here.

(Wtf with dungeon gear not being sellable anymore? Wtf?)
Edited by Holycannoli on September 3, 2016 4:58AM
  • SublimeSparo
    SublimeSparo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have they added the mats to the blacksmith/ clothier / woodworker NPC's ?
    Edited by SublimeSparo on September 3, 2016 5:01AM
    PS4 EU CP900. PS4 NA CP600,
    vAA HM ☆ vHRC HM ☆ vSO HM ☆ vMOL
    4th Console vMOL clear,
    vMA cleared on all classes stam & magic

My Tribe
    EU
    High Sparo - Altmer - mSo DD.
    Wood Sparo - Bosmer - sNB DD
    Nord Sparo - Nord -sDK DD/Tank.
    Bubble Girl - Imperial -sTe DD
    Succubus Sue - Breton - mNB Tank.
    Andrana Stormlock - Altmer - mTe Healer/ DD
    Elvali Marvani - Dunmer - mDK DD.
    Venemus Draconem - Redguard - sDK DD
    Jayri Leki - Redguard - sSo DD.
    Miss Jabsalot - Altmer - mTe PvP DD/ Tank
    Mireli Hlaano - Dunmer - mNB DD.
    Ms Shanks - Redguard - sNB DD/ le bank

NA
    Dilemma Dame - Altmer - mDK DD
    Stamsorc Kitty - Redguard - sSor DD
    Aia Draconis - Imperial - sDK Tank
    Decides-Who-Lives - Argonian - mTe Healer
    You wont stop me - Altmer - mSo DD
    Stab in the dark - Khajiit - sNB DD
    Jabjabjab Beambeambeam - Dunmer - mTe DD
    Spatium Auxiliarus - Imperial - hTe Tank&bank
    Spectre - Altmer - mNB DD
    Can't-Main-Tank -Argonian - sDK offTank
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know what this will do though? With supply of Ruby mats going up, the prices are going to drop just like they did for the Void mats. This makes me very, very happy.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All harvest nodes now scale to your combat level or applicable crafting passive rank.

So now our high level, max level crafters can't collect the materials needed to craft lower level gear. This is exactly what I was afraid of. Your blacksmith is cp531 and 50 blacksmithing? He's never, ever going to be able to collect lower level ore/ingots again. You have a new character you're leveling and want your blacksmith to make him new heavy armor and weapons as levels? He has to collect the ore himself, which possibly means by the time he's collected enough for a full set he may be ready for the next tier. You're probably better off just skipping it all and leveling him straight to 50; it's not like he will need the gear anyway since he will be OP battle scaled.

You want to buy the ingots instead? Good luck, nobody is going to have any for sale. They will become extremely rare.

You want to craft gear for newer players in your guild? You're screwed. You can't collect what they need, they have to. And they only have a limited window where they can, because once they level past that material they'll never be able to get it again.

There was no need for this change. Crafters can't collect resources they used to be able to collect just because they leveled? Wtf kind of crafting system forever locks out the previous lower level resources like that? I'll give you the answer: a lousy kind.

This was OK for Orsinium because we still had the old world to collect resources in. This does not work for the entire world though. There are some very interesting changes in One Tamriel but between this lousy change and the fact that dungeon and trial gear will be bind on pickup, I question if I want to remain here.

But it doesnt matter.

Why?

Because the whole game died due to op poisons killing it.
    And because everyone stopped playing sorcerers when the did that whole nerf thing and so that whole class was just deleted.
    And enchsnting just died when they did that change to potency.

Making it so that every node every charscter anyehere finds is either ussble for them (char level) or usable by them (passive skill) is likely going to be destructive just like those other changes were... well maybe less but still...

Obviously.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no sense in this . Just because I don't make aluminum girders for a living doesn't mean I can go out and find aluminum . I am deeply concerned with the general direction of almost everything in this patch minus cross alliance PvE .
    Edited by Rohamad_Ali on September 3, 2016 5:13AM
  • scorpiodog
    scorpiodog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So pretty much the only reason left to level crafting has been eliminated.
    Dropped sets afte cp 160 are much better than crafted sets, and can be put in jewelry slots. There might be 1 or 2 exceptions that are worth crafting but not worth 6 months of researh.

The only reason to craft gear was for leveling because getting 5 pieces of the same dropped set was impossible. But now you won't have mats to craft with.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    Making it so that every node every charscter anyehere finds is either ussble for them (char level) or usable by them (passive skill) is likely going to be destructive just like those other changes were... well maybe less but still...

Obviously.

Yes it will be destructive. Lower level mats will become extremely rare because characters will only have about a 10-15 level window to collect them, where now they can collect any material they want just by going to the appropriate zone.

I don't know about anyone else, but I use my main character to supply my alt crafters with materials. My enchanter is at 32 enchanting right now and I don't think he's ever collected runes or glyphs himself (and he's only level 14). My blacksmith is at 47 blacksmithing, only level 17, and all the ore and ingots he needed for writs and supplying himself and my alts with gear was not collected by him but by my main vet level character.

You have crafters in your guild and new players that need gear after One Tamriel? Tell them they're out of luck. Tell them it's easiest to just skip lower level gear because the mats are too rare and level scaling makes it unnecessary. Is that the kind of game you want? Because it's not the kind of game I want.

I really do hope we get more ruby from this but something tells me we will have the same 50% of finding it as we do now.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

now for some serious response...

First bold

FEVER vs FACT

Your master crafter will get in writs-reward packs EITHER a survey or a pack of 25 lesser tier ingredients. So much for "never".

Second bold - every non-crafter character will harvest 50% to their passive skill. There are gonna be a ton of the lower tier mats available - its the mid-tier that will be less available - except that EVERY CHARACTER EVERYWHERE will harvest 505 at his character level so... amazingly... it would seem the amount of materials at certain mid-tiers will be proportional to the character actually harvesting at that tier. THATS MADNESS? I mean, if hardly anyone is at Cp20 due to the whole Cp skip at 50 thing, then hardly anybody will harvest Cp20 mats... thats just... wait... now... wait... directly linking spawning of materials into the game at mid-tiers to the number of characterds at that tier's level or skill harvesting harvesting... that almost makes sense, right?

third bold - after they pass a gear level, they wont harvest that level stuff into their inventory and will be forced to now get stuff AT their level (or skill) ? Are you really trying to paint that as a bad thing for an advancing character?

Previously and currently, if i level to VET 4 in say grahtwood, i have that whole zone and the next feeding me vet 3 materials. in OneT, as soon as i level to cp40 wherever i am i start getting cp40 mats.
    Currently, if i am in grahtwood and am cp120, i have loitsa zones ahead of me before i start getting cp120 gear. OneT, anywhere, anytime i can get cp120 gear even if i leapfrogged multiple cp groupings.

last bold - no reason for change.

narrow strict linear progression of mats tied to zones made sense when character progression was also similarly linked to narrow, one way strict linear progression ties to geography.

When Cp replace vet levels, the first body blow hit as the demand for mid-tier reduced drastically and many people found their characters playing thru zones where the nodes were useles - because of the lvl 50 leapfrog to cp.

With oneT, the last vestige of that narrow, one way only design goes away - the geography tied to progression is gone. Anywhere, anytime any order with anyone is not a game basis that needs or is served by a narrow-strict-mat-type-to zone deployment across the vast majority of its playing area. Those two things just dont make sense together.

With every major and even most minor changes to this game, there are ALWAYS some folks for whom "the way things are now" change and they adapt to a new way of getting things done. Sometimes its with much kicking and screaming but... it happens. Just go look at all the shouts when they changes traits from folks who didn't want to redo their crafted gear or anytime when folks dont like their current meta being supplanted by a new one.

There is no guarantee from one day to the next in this MMO or any MMO that "the way things work right now" will remain asit is forever and forever...

Thats for me one of the best parts of a living MMO vs a dead video game.

But, with every character everywhere always being able to harvest mats that are useful to them or usable by them and the corresponding wedding of "character playing at a given level" to "mats at a level added into the overall game by harvesting" and the massive surge in the lowest level mats caused by harvest from all those non-crafters just doing their thing AND Writs giving out lesser tier 25 packs etc etc etc... i think you can see that while "how joe is doing things today" might not be "how joe gets things done tomorrow" its not the end of the world... just a change in an MMO that serves the overall game better now that the strict straightjacket path is removed.

THAT SAID - i would like to also see (as they did with potencies) a loosening of the narrow tied between "mat-type" and "gear -level"

First option i want is the ability in the crafting window to keep hitting the minus sign to lower the level of gear below the current minimum for a material WITHOUT reducing mats spent. So if i have rubedite and its sitting at CP150-, i hit - three times and its now producing Cp120 but with the same loss in rubedite. (This lets your master crafters suffer getting all cp150-160 mats and use them to make lower stuff for the cases when they need to.)

Second option i would like to see but maybe maybe not is to allow you to upscale as well - keep clicking on more jute to go to say cp24 (the next tier up all the way if you want) BUT this option does spend more and more of the cheaper mat. (This prevents the mats you have from becoming instantly obsolete before you can gather anything for the next tier..)

Not saying these are necessary for the new system to work, though IMO the first one is pretty close to needed, but they fit the new progression and world model better IMO and would help serve the OMG panic from the poor master crafters who are apparently really scared of living in a world where everyone everywhere at all times can harvest materials relevant to them.

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

"The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    scorpiodog wrote: »
    Dropped sets afte cp 160 are much better than crafted sets, and can be put in jewelry slots. There might be 1 or 2 exceptions that are worth crafting but not worth 6 months of researh.

The only reason to craft gear was for leveling because getting 5 pieces of the same dropped set was impossible. But now you won't have mats to craft with.

Wrong.

While the new sets are good they aren't as easy to get due to the whole what drops where etc thing. certain armor locations dont drop in open field, others only in vet level or whatever... looks like the jewels are gonna be hard to get especially if you are mostly solo.
    Also, many of the current sets crafted are still gonna be good and even BIS - i dont think TBS or HR or NMG or JULI are going away anytime soon.

And not having mats - just wrong.

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really see a problem with this. When crafting for my alts, gear would make me really strong for like 5 levels, and after that point it was just as good as any other gear you can pick up. I took a character to 50 in level 22 julianos gear and it didn't feel flimsy until the last 3. (I even dpsed dungeons in this gear and was really strong until level 40 when the scaling dropped off.)

You dont need low level crafted gear. If there is any issue, it's that there are all these crafting tiers that are pretty much useless. That IMO is the problem and something should be adjusted, not to make the intermediate tiers more useful (though that might be something to consider anyway) but to reduce the number of materials. Untie them from levels, perhaps make [some/all] materials impart a unique bonus to crafted gear only: that might increase their competitiveness against dropped gear.

I like all these drops and itemization changes. Sure, I have to farm more but they're much more available outside of trials and I can deal with fewer people trying to gouge me (which feels like everyone who wants to sell something).
    Edited by WhiteMage on September 3, 2016 6:02AM
    The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?
  • Edgemoor
    Edgemoor
    ✭✭✭
    Natch potes say the following:

So if you are levelling it should not be an issue, as all you do is set your crafting passive rank to the level you want. It does mean it's rather awkward for crafters though :(
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I won't be leveling any new character xD

• Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should I be making lots of low level training gear and bank it for me and my guildies? Should I start selling low level 5 piece sets, would people buy em?
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edgemoor wrote: »
    Natch potes say the following:

So if you are levelling it should not be an issue, as all you do is set your crafting passive rank to the level you want. It does mean it's rather awkward for crafters though :(

So wait, do you think that means 50% of nodes will be combat level and 50% crafting level?

Still too awkward for crafters. There needs to be another way for crafters to obtain lower level materials if they can no longer collect them, an inexpensive way that's not a guild trader or kiosk.
  • Balibe
    Balibe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone on PST check to see if you can use higher level mats to craft any level lower items? Similar to what they did with enhancements when they updated those. Higher ones now scale to a lower level .....

Not saying everyone should be using CP150/160 mats to craft level 10 gear. Just wondering if maybe they made any crafting changes to compensate for this issue .....

Edited by Balibe on September 3, 2016 6:58AM
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Good job I have a bank full of lvl 1-50 mats
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe your home faction will still be the 1-50 mats, with the other two factions scaling off your current level?
  • stevepdodson_ESO888
    stevepdodson_ESO888
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and the next thing this leads to is "out of the box" Level 50 chars when you create a new character
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    and the next thing this leads to is "out of the box" Level 50 chars when you create a new character

And new cars under bridges guarded by trolls and seals and cyborgs.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• Hammy01
    Hammy01
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was kind of thinking the same thing.. with all the new sets coming out (most BOE) about 90% of the crafting sets will be obsolete.... thus having a max level crafter is no big deal.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hammy01 wrote: »

I was kind of thinking the same thing.. with all the new sets coming out (most BOE) about 90% of the crafting sets will be obsolete.... thus having a max level crafter is no big deal.

It will still be worth while to have a max crafter. Most of that gear will probably be blue, and if you want to upgrade it, it will be cheaper to have a max skilled crafter.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, guess it's time to create new alts who can then be harvesting characters.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • LBxFinalDeath
    LBxFinalDeath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only thing they should have done was make Temp Alloy insanely easy to get like they did to Kuta.

imo anyway.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in Auridon with my master crafter right now, and I'm finding maple along with ruby ash nodes. No such luck with blacksmithing and clothing so far.

If this is an oversight on the woodworking nodes, I would like the other kinds of nodes to work the same.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Hookgrin
    Hookgrin
    ✭✭✭
    I ran a low level character around the world, everywhere the difficulty level is exactly the same. It never gets any harder, in fact it gets easier as you rank up your abilities. You can enter Undaunted dungeons at a lower level and set pieces drop all over the place. I think there will be less need for low level crafting. There will be a sweet spot for crafting your first gear, probably in the teens. It may be only a few pieces as you may have a partial looted set to go with it. You may not need to craft another until maybe the low 40s unless you are doing non-vet PvP, then you will want one in between as well. You will be upgrading your looted pieces here and there as you go.

I think players who are collecting mats along the way and then out leveling them before they can use them will be a source of buying low level mats, so the lower supply should be fairly close to the lower demand.

It's just a whole new way to play the game and we will have to learn and get used to a new economy.
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This might be to encourage buying new accounts. Because your alts will never ever use anything from cp10- cp160 either. Once you hit the gear max, all your new chars hit the max at 50.

So there we have it, nothing below gear cap is useful after you hit 50 (the char max).
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @STEVIL

Its not 50/50 anymore. From the PTS Patch Notes

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    @STEVIL

Its not 50/50 anymore. From the PTS Patch Notes

@Nestor

That doesnt ssy anthing about the 50/50.

So what is the division then if i am lvl 50 and cp160 and have nothing in blacksmith what ores will i see? It used to be 50% would be iron (skill) and 50% rubedite (combat level)

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have this annoying issue getting on the PTS. Can't get past an informational message about the server.

Anyway, people are reporting that you see what your mat or battle level is. One says wood seems to be a mix, but nothing else. If this is 50/50, it would not be as big an issue. Hopefully, they intend, but patch notes and some peoples exp seems to say otherwise.

I just logged on and took a low level Mule to Zone 2, he found L1 Mats, which is his material level, but did not find any mats on his level or his battle level, but admittedly, there were not that many nodes that I came across.

I still think it should be any mat for any level, just need more of them. I really don't want to wear Ruby stuff anymore, it does not take dyes all that well.
    Edited by Nestor on September 4, 2016 9:16AM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nestor if you mean the "Server Selection" window, you need to click on the tiny circle next to "PTS" a few times (it took me a while to make it work, it didn't seem to be registering the selection).
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Teridaxus
    Teridaxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So for those without orsinium, will the highest writs for us still requiere void materials despite there will be no possible way to farm it anymore?