Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What do you think of Crown Store Random boxes/Lottery box?

• Buffler
    Buffler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/4UcmPeXG7qQ?t=465

About 8min in....only cosmetic stuff nothing b2w or anything of the sort so stop all that nonsense you weirdos are posting
  • Waseem
    Waseem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, don't ever add these into the game.
    Ghettokid wrote: »
    Anything for me to have a chance at that snow bear mount!

Same reason. My ps4 was broken when polar bear was in crown store. It was only crown store item I ever wanted.

you making it sound like you will get exactly the item you need on your first box
    dude you just devalued Zenimax's market department's ability to generate money
    you may end up paying 80000 crowns for it
    and where did it say that the mystery box is mounts exclusive box? its not a mounts box. the chance to receive a mount is probably less than 10%, and the chance to receive exactly the mount you want? probably 0.5%

edit: correction, instead "you could spend 20k crowns, you could spend 80k crowns"
    the box is not mounts box, mounts are an extra with very low chance to receive
    Edited by Waseem on August 20, 2016 10:54AM
    PC EU

• kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't care, doubt it will have p2w in the boxes, a lot of knee jerk reactions, as always to new things, don't like them don't buy them, I do not plan on spending money on them. The game has far to many other issues to be concerned about.
  • MarkusLiberty
    MarkusLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I like the random boxes idea so Long as they only have cosmetics
    If we assume that you cannot get the same mount twice, then the chances of getting the one you want increase every time you buy a box.

Here's a look at the various mounts they introduced in ESO http://mmomounts.com/elder-scrolls-online-mounts

I can count 17 time-limited mounts, (not incuding the Dro Mathra senche and the Striped Tiger Shenche) If you've never bought any of these previously, then you have about 5% chance of getting any specific mount

Most of the time-exclusive mounts ESO has introduced have all been pretty cool anyway, so it's not as if you really lose anything. I can see at least 10 mounts I really want, with the Camel of Ill Omen being the one I want the most.

As an ESO + subscriber and having bought several packs of Crowns, I'm sitting on way more crowns than I could possibly spend, so this is the perfect thing for me to invest in.
    *Special Snowflake*

• Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having seen such random boxes in Archeage and how some people spent money on this gamble to a point, where they cannot even pay their rent anymore, I am strictly against this. There is no guarantee to get anything for your money with such boxes and most of the time it will be just worthless crap - and this is by intention this way, to force the gambling addicted to buy even more - this is not something which should be supported and it is disgusting that ZOS is even thinking about it.
    Edited by Lysette on August 20, 2016 10:59AM
  • sebban
    sebban
    ✭✭✭✭
    Random loot boxes for crowns, which esentially is gambling with RL money, is one of the reasons I quit SWTOR. Don't add gambling with RL money to the game, please.
    PC EU
    Dweia Ceban - StamDK
    Adara Ceban - MagBlade
    Daewa Ceban - MagSorc
    Tick-Tock Tormentor

Chimaira.eu

Friskyttarna.eu
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sebban wrote: »
    Random loot boxes for crowns, which esentially is gambling with RL money, is one of the reasons I quit SWTOR. Don't add gambling with RL money to the game, please.

Exactly this - it is gambling with RL money without to have a license for it - it might need some investigation by officials if ZOS is introducing this - Second Life had to stop the gamble by such a reason, we might be able to stop that in ESO as well.
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »

Exactly this - it is gambling with RL money without to have a license for it - it might need some investigation by officials if ZOS is introducing this - Second Life had to stop the gamble by such a reason, we might be able to stop that in ESO as well.

Well I don't think they will make it where it takes a lot of money just to get something. I imagine you would have a good chance at a normal costume that was removed while a rare chance of getting a more expensive costume and costumes like the hero costumes might be very rare to get. Still I rather they do a weekly rotation. Or add them in game but with an extreme gold cost. Basically I think they should do that instead of the gamble box.
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • fluffycannibalb16_ESO
    I'm looking at the rage over the lottery boxes the same way I looked at the Crown Store announcement. Everyone got their panties in a twist screaming "OMFG IT'S GOING P2W THIS IS TERRIBLE ARRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!ONE!!!" and then it turned out to be fine.

There's no indication whatso-f***ing-ever that there's going to be anything other than cosmetics in the bags so why is everyone getting so angry over this?
    Fluff'ii - EP Sneaky-Cat-People
    Elendil Ellesar - EP Stabby-Stabby-Healer
    Khalisah al-Sinan - EP Fire-Breathing-Shieldy-Person
    Liara Motierre - EP Blinky-Storm-Mage
    Fetches-Fetches-Glitter - EP Lizard-Light-Smasher
    Zevran Demnevanni - EP Sneaky-Vampire-Mage
    Vindictal - EP Evil-necROMANCEr
    Shepard Andersson - EP Smashy-Dragon-Man
    Anduille - EP Cute-Bosmer-Bear-Lover
    Eamhair Eimhir - EP Necro-Poison-Wolf-Girl
    Orlog gro-Morkul - EP Smashy-Sorc-Orc
    Lucien la Malfaisance - EP Book-Beamer
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I don't think they will make it where it takes a lot of money just to get something. I imagine you would have a good chance at a normal costume that was removed while a rare chance of getting a more expensive costume and costumes like the hero costumes might be very rare to get. Still I rather they do a weekly rotation. Or add them in game but with an extreme gold cost. Basically I think they should do that instead of the gamble box.

Nah, you can bet that they will prey on gambling addicted persons by keeping the chances to get something good extremely low. If they do it like this, this makes it pretty easy for me in future - I have a year of ESO+ left, I do not have a lot of crowns left and I do not have to buy more crowns ever again, if they will introduce that - this was it for me then with the crown store.

And housing - screw it - I am no longer interested into it, if they turn out to be greedy predators, which prey on addicted people and even foster their addiction even more.
    Edited by Lysette on August 20, 2016 11:11AM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since they are supposedly only cosmetic/convenience items (ie, the things that are already in the Crown Store; no gear etc), I have no issue with it.
    Edited by Enodoc on August 20, 2016 11:11AM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's called gambling and its something I associate with the money-grubbing dark side of game design that has no problems profiting from people who have impulse control issues.
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waseem wrote: »
    Ghettokid wrote: »
    Anything for me to have a chance at that snow bear mount!

Same reason. My ps4 was broken when polar bear was in crown store. It was only crown store item I ever wanted.

you making it sound like you will get exactly the item you need on your first box
    dude you just devalued Zenimax's market department's ability to generate money
    you may end up paying 80000 crowns for it
    and where did it say that the mystery box is mounts exclusive box? its not a mounts box. the chance to receive a mount is probably less than 10%, and the chance to receive exactly the mount you want? probably 0.5%

edit: correction, instead "you could spend 20k crowns, you could spend 80k crowns"
    the box is not mounts box, mounts are an extra with very low chance to receive

Maybe it sounded like that but do you really think I am so stupid that I would buy crowns because of chance to get mount I want? I just mean that when you buy dlc, there will be leftover crowns and then I use them on boxes. Or maybe not.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Lysette

Just commented on another thread the same concern.

It is utterly irresponsible & rather despicable as gambling with real money can cause hideous repercussions. No need for it to be introduced at all.

And I also questioned the legality, as some places gave very strict laws about gambling - and this is gambling, despite calling it something different.

Also, I know the game is meant to be for over 18 only but younger people do play, but that has no legal basis, it's just guidelines. Gambling has quite definite legal constraints / age restrictions.
  • MarkusLiberty
    MarkusLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so why is everyone getting so angry over this?

I would guess that the vast majority them are simply afraid that their "super rare" mounts might lose some of its value now that people have a chance at getting them in a random content box.
    *Special Snowflake*

• PurifedBladez
    PurifedBladez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not trying to make a huge deal about this but this game has slowly been going in a direction I don't support.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    so why is everyone getting so angry over this?

I would guess that the vast majority them are simply afraid that their "super rare" mounts might lose some of its value now that people have a chance at getting them in a random content box.

No, I am concerned that this is gambling & that there are people out there who can have a problem with addiction & thus don't want it added to this game.

Really don't care about bl**dy mounts...
  • Buffler
    Buffler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If someone CHOOSES to "gamble" then its up to them. ZOS isnt forcing anything on people and its pure cosmetic items. No problem with this at all.

[SPLIT]

[Edited for Inappropriate Content]
    Edited by ZOS_JohanaB on August 20, 2016 11:59AM
  • Waseem
    Waseem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    some people may end up selling their houses if Zenimax add a Unicorn to those boxes
    PC EU

• Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ridiculous, some think the chances to get their stuff will be 10% - if it will be like in Archeage, the changes are more like 0.1% or even lower and you need hundreds of such boxes to have a good chance to get something you actually want - this is selling lottery tickets with a very low chance to win - gambling is by very good reasons restricted by law, because it is dangerous and can ruin existences and families, because addicted people might not stop buying until they and their families will go broke.
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I always felt good supporting ESO. Now I'm counting how much I have spent, and every dollar feels like too much.

Anyone have any good MMO recommendations?
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buffler wrote: »
    If someone CHOOSES to "gamble" then its up to them. ZOS isnt forcing anything on people and its pure cosmetic items. No problem with this at all.

[SPLIT]

[Edited for Inappropriate Content].

An addicted person does not choose to gamble, it is not able to make a reasonable decision about it, because of addiction.
    Edited by ZOS_JohanaB on August 20, 2016 11:59AM
  • MarkusLiberty
    MarkusLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I am concerned that this is gambling & that there are people out there who can have a problem with addiction & thus don't want it added to this game.

Yeah, but that type of gambling exists all around us anyway. Just look at trading card games, there's even an Elder Scrolls Trading card game out there.

I dont think cosmetic mounts is going to be a thing that really ruins anyone's lives, how much money do you expect people to spent before they get the mount they've been looking for? It's probably an insicgifictant number compared to what people lose at real gambling.
    *Special Snowflake*

• JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No I dislike the random crown store boxes, to much of a gamble
    Ridiculous, some think the chances to get their stuff will be 10% - if it will be like in Archeage, the changes are more like 0.1% or even lower and you need hundreds of such boxes to have a good chance to get something you actually want - this is selling lottery tickets with a very low chance to win - gambling is by very good reasons restricted by law, because it is dangerous and can ruin existences and families, because addicted people might not stop buying until they and their families will go broke.

There's also something we like to call personal responsibility. People don't see that anymore. I have no need of these boxes and I budget my money for things I get and household expenditure.

I hardly think ZOS wants to ruin families with cosmetic items that mean nothing. It's all getting a little overly dramatic. Until the day a ZOS developer holds a gun against someone's head and tells them to buy something, it all comes down to people taking responsibility for their own purchases.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, maybe instead they could add the box but make it have a choice of former crown store items. They would have three things, normal costumes would be the 400 crown one, but each one in the box is seperated and not part of the pack for each box you choose the costume you don't have. The rare ones, which is like 1000 crowns, box which gives the choice of a rare costume, and very rare, which would be the 2500 crowns box which would have all there rare ones like the hero costumes.
    Also they would make these costumes tradeable to other players, which would be great for those that don't use crownstore I imagine they would cost players a lot of gold which could be good for the ingame economy do to demand.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on August 20, 2016 11:30AM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • Tib
    Tib
    ✭✭✭
    I have nothing against these boxes (although, I'm not sure if I'd purchase any myself).
    ~Tibbie~
    Senior Achievement Seeker, Scholar of UESP and the laziest trader in Tamriel
    Editor and Recent Changes Patroller at UESP
    Member of Beyond Skyrim: Iliac Bay
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »
    It's called gambling and its something I associate with the money-grubbing dark side of game design that has no problems profiting from people who have impulse control issues.

there are also people who obsess over online games, spending far too much time in them and neglecting the rl things that they would be better doing....

are you going to call for zos to limit in game time to protect those people?
  • MarkusLiberty
    MarkusLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the best way to do this would be to have two different boxes, one for mounts, and one for costumes. They have a chance at droping a former limited mount/costumes, or one of the very special mounts/costumes mentioned in the video.
    he changes are more like 0.1%
    I dont see how they could be that slim when there's only about 17 time-exclusive mounts out there. Realistically, you'd have a 5% chance at getting any specific mounts,unless you've already bought several time-exclusive mounts before (assuming you can't get the same mounts twice)
    *Special Snowflake*

• Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »

There's also something we like to call personal responsibility. People don't see that anymore. I have no need of these boxes and I budget my money for things I get and household expenditure.

I hardly think ZOS wants to ruin families with cosmetic items that mean nothing. It's all getting a little overly dramatic. Until the day a ZOS developer holds a gun against someone's head and tells them to buy something, it all comes down to people taking responsibility for their own purchases.

Well, I have seen that in 2 games, how gambling effects people - it was banned in Second Life, after protests of residents and invoking officials to have a look at providing online gambling without to have a license - and Linden Lab did not even do it by themselves, but just offering a service and letting it happen alone was enough for them to ban it, to not get their game banned by supporting gambling in a passive way without to have a casino license.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the best way to do this would be to have two different boxes, one for mounts, and one for costumes. They have a chance at droping a former limited mount/costumes, or one of the very special mounts/costumes mentioned in the video.
    he changes are more like 0.1%
    I dont see how they could be that slim when there's only about 17 time-exclusive mounts out there. Realistically, you'd have a 5% chance at getting any specific mounts,unless you've already bought several time-exclusive mounts before (assuming you can't get the same mounts twice)

because you might get nothing at all with such a box - it is random - it could be empty as well.
This discussion has been closed.