Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Icereach PC NA (Mulaamnir/Kyne/BWB NA PC - Final)

• ColoursYouHave
    ColoursYouHave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    Things I learned last night:

1. Ganking a magDK when they are alone is very satisfying.

2. Ganking a magDK when two of their other DK friends are there is not fun and does not work.

Just be careful, not all MagDKs die easily to gankers... Plenty have tried and failed.

@Adenoma do you have a price range you're trying to stay within? I can try to throw together a budget build on PC Part Picker when I get home.
    Options
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    Things I learned last night:

1. Ganking a magDK when they are alone is very satisfying.

2. Ganking a magDK when two of their other DK friends are there is not fun and does not work.

Just be careful, not all MagDKs die easily to gankers... Plenty have tried and failed.

@Adenoma do you have a price range you're trying to stay within? I can try to throw together a budget build on PC Part Picker when I get home.

I will chip in some cash
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
    Options
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chip me no cash, @Stridig ! I'm not worthy! Ideally price range is under a thousand.
    Adenoma-Badenoma-Sadenoma
    Options
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Adenoma .....u could EASILY build a dec comp for that or less ... here's a great place to get started
    https://pcpartpicker.com/
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
    Options
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adenoma wrote: »
    chip me no cash, @Stridig ! I'm not worthy! Ideally price range is under a thousand.

That Lenovo I wrote about is $700.00
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
    Options
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, I'm going to get a PC. I need the cheapest thing possible that will run 60 FPS on not medium settings. Any advice?

Do yourself a favor and get a solid state drive.
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
    Options
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I frequent pawnshops near areas with drug problems. That's how I got my gaming computer.

Good idea! And I wouldn't have to go very far!
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
    Options
  • ColoursYouHave
    ColoursYouHave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Adenoma here is a build I got together real quick that is very similar to my PC which runs ESO on max settings in 1080p like a dream. While I do drop below 60 FPS sometimes, I also generally have a twitch stream and a boatload of tabs open on Chrome while I'm playing, which I'd imagine has at least some impact on my performance. You could definitely save more money on this build by doing things like reducing RAM from 16GB to 8GB, removing the SSD, getting a smaller HDD, getting rid of the wireless networking card if you don't plan on playing over a wireless network, getting rid of the optical drive if you don't think you'll need it, and getting a smaller PSU. Of course removing any of these components comes with its own cost, but ultimately what you think you want/need and how much you want to spend on it is up to you. And remember, this is a PC that is more than enough to run ESO on max settings. If you just want something that can run ESO on better than medium settings, you could probably save a couple hundred dollars by downgrading the motherboard, GPU, and CPU (in fact, you might be able to downgrade the CPU and GPU a bit while still being able to play at max settings). Again, the amount you want to spend is ultimately your decision, but the way I see it is: if you're already going to be doling out at least $700 or so on a new gaming PC, why not spend the extra couple hundred bucks to build something that'll both perform better and last longer?

Here is another build I made almost $250 cheaper by slightly downgrading the CPU, slightly downgrading the GPU, removing 8GB of RAM, removing the SSD, removing the wireless networking card, and getting a smaller PSU.
    Options
  • Raknosh
    Raknosh
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is what I built for myself more than 2 years ago now
    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/AcMaiden/builds/#view=F6gLrH

And there is another one that I built for a friend. This one was much more bang for the buck.
    Don't underestimate that CPU tho, overclocked like hell it does miracles for the price. Look it up on Youtube
    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/AcMaiden/builds/#view=Qwf8TW

The prices are in CAD btw
    Edited by Raknosh on March 17, 2017 2:40AM
    Founder of PUGz of Daggerfall
    Former Emperors : Dragon of the PUGz, Witcher of the PUGz
    Options
  • Sreja_Bone
    Sreja_Bone
    ✭✭✭
    At long last, something I can comment intelligently on!

The others have you covered pretty well for builds, I'll only add that, after 20 years building these things now, get the best cpu/mobo you can afford even if it means skimping a bit elsewhere. That usually get's you the most longevity and you can keep upgrading the other bits and bobs for years. Had an i7 machine I frankensteined 4 or 5 times.

And PSU's can usually be less powerful than you think, 5 - 600 has normally gotten the job done, but pick a quality company. A faulty power supply can be a damned troublesome thing to track down and can cause just general weirdness that doesn't even look like a hardware problem. Or it can eat your nice new cpu, mobo, and hard drive. (Had an 800 watt Rosewill do just that. Still can't figure that one out, pilot error, maybe).
    Options
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    since everyone else is sharing :D lol ... this is the rig i built and use... its a little more steep then 1k though
    https://pcpartpicker.com/b/jvxYcf
    Edited by W0lf_z13 on March 17, 2017 11:52AM
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
    Options
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna decide this weekend. Thanks for all the help! This is why I love this community so much. @Stridig , @ColoursYouHave , @W0lf_z13 , @Lumsdenml , and @Raknosh , you da real MVPs. I'll keep you fellas posted.

If anyone wants to sell me an extra monitor and keyboard on the cheap, I'll snap those up!

I'm probably going to spring for a decently nice computer and a SSD. My friend said that it's worth investing at least a little in the computer. It's going to be weird having great graphics - I've played on a fuzzy medium for so long. I can't fathom what I'm going to do with all the frames! No more keep fights at 15-20 FPS!
    Options
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i spent roughly 2k on my rig @Adenoma ... between all the parts and keyboard and mouse and monitors ... but i def think it was worth it ... and yeah.... when ur comp boots up in under 20 seconds cause of the SSD ull never wanna go back to a HD
    Edited by W0lf_z13 on March 17, 2017 1:41PM

Options
  • Silky
    Silky
    ✭✭✭
    I just rebuilt my desktop after my vrm on my 10 year old motherboard caught fire.

SSD is the most worthwhile investment on your computer by far. ESO is a cpu bound game, so it will benefit a lot from a higher clocked cpu (6700k, the new Ryzen chips, etc). Here's a build with the 6700k and a gtx 1070. It came out a bit over 1k, but should be able to push just about any game you throw at it on relatively high settings: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LVwpM8

I'll throw together a ryzen build when I get off work if ya want @Adenoma
    The Most Diabolical Hater In Tamriel
    GM of SADBOYS
    Living Dumpster Fire

"If a man does not have the sauce, then he is lost. But the same man can be lost in the sauce."

Options
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes please.
    Options
  • Silky
    Silky
    ✭✭✭
    Just looked, and the ryzen chips out now are gonna be more expensive for similar/worse performance in ESO. If you can wait until April the new chips will be out that should be better suited for eso/gaming in general. The ones out now are 8-core with lower clock speeds 3.0-3.4ghz, which ESO can't really take advantage of. Come April they will be 6 core with ~4ghz clocks. At least according to this article http://www.pcworld.com/article/3176907/components-processors/ryzen-cpus-explained-everything-you-need-to-know-about-amds-disruptive-multicore-chips.html

So if you want a new rig right now, probably better to go with Intel to save the money. The 6700k is able to run eso at like 70+ fps most places.
    GM of SADBOYS
    Living Dumpster Fire

"If a man does not have the sauce, then he is lost. But the same man can be lost in the sauce."

Options
  • Just_call_me_Cola
    Just_call_me_Cola
    ✭✭✭
    @Adenoma I'll send you my old non mechanical keyboard. I've moved on
    Options
  • ColoursYouHave
    ColoursYouHave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna decide this weekend. Thanks for all the help! This is why I love this community so much. @Stridig , @ColoursYouHave , @W0lf_z13 , @Lumsdenml , and @Raknosh , you da real MVPs. I'll keep you fellas posted.

If anyone wants to sell me an extra monitor and keyboard on the cheap, I'll snap those up!

I'm probably going to spring for a decently nice computer and a SSD. My friend said that it's worth investing at least a little in the computer. It's going to be weird having great graphics - I've played on a fuzzy medium for so long. I can't fathom what I'm going to do with all the frames! No more keep fights at 15-20 FPS!

I was in your position not long ago, playing on settings somewhere between low and medium with a pretty subpar FPS. I'll tell you, you don't realize how gorgeous this game actually is until you get to play on max settings. When I watch videos I saved from before my new PC, it looks like I'm playing a decade-old game because of how much better the graphics are for me now. I swear I started playing better once I set my graphics to ultra too; idk if its just the placebo effect, but everything feels so much smoother with better graphics and I feel like I'm able to assess and react to my surroundings much better than I could before.
    Options
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol yeah the scenery in this game is actually pretty damn impressive .... ill stop by a waterfall once and a while just to watch the water fall

Options
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My question is how are you all able to play on high settings? I think I have a problem with particles ( mostly flames ) where my game just disconnects.

Group fights with lots of particles, the game closes on me.
    As soon as I TP'd to a keep ( the fire next to the guards ) would make the game close on me.

I lowered my graphic settings and I don't see the problem as often.

Edited by vamp_emily on March 17, 2017 6:47PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

Options
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive always been playing on ultra settings :D havent had really any issues

Options
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    W0lf_z13 wrote: »

lucky u.

This is what I have, I know it is a few years old but I should be able to run on Ultra. Maybe it is my ESO settings.

Processor: Intel Core i7 4910MQ (Up to 3.90Ghz) (Quad Core) (8MB Cache)
    Graphics Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 8GB with NVIDIA Battery Boost + NVIDIA Optimus

Options
  • ColoursYouHave
    ColoursYouHave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »

lucky u.

This is what I have, I know it is a few years old but I should be able to run on Ultra. Maybe it is my ESO settings.

Graphics Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 8GB with NVIDIA Battery Boost + NVIDIA Optimus

Hmm. I'd definitely think you should be able to run ESO on Ultra with those specs. Have you tried monitoring your hardware temperatures while playing to make sure nothing is overheating? How about making sure all the latest Windows and driver updates have been installed? Also, how much RAM do you have, and how much stuff do you typically have running in the background while playing?
    Options
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

lucky u.

Hmm. I'd definitely think you should be able to run ESO on Ultra with those specs. Have you tried monitoring your hardware temperatures while playing to make sure nothing is overheating? How about making sure all the latest Windows and driver updates have been installed? Also, how much RAM do you have, and how much stuff do you typically have running in the background while playing?

I have 16g ram and I haven't monitored the temperature.

The game runs well on my computer even with Ultra Settings. However, when i see fire with Ultra settings the game closes and takes me to the log in screen. No error, no freezing, and no warning. I don't know what causes it, but after research I came to the conclusion it was fire/flames.

Examples:

- I'm in a fight and someone throws a fireball at me, the game window would close and take me to the log in screen.

- I TP to Ash, and as soon as I move away from the mage guards the game window closes and takes me to the log in screen.

Both situations had fire involved. It happened all the time, and I couldn't TP to a keep without 80% of the time restarting the game.

It has been a long time since I used Ultra. I might go home and see if I still have the same issues.

Edited by vamp_emily on March 17, 2017 9:08PM

Options
  • Enipfodnuos
    Enipfodnuos
    ✭✭✭
    Sheesh. I've been running eso on a Dell inspiron that was gifted to me when my Mac broke.......

Jealous
    Options
  • ColoursYouHave
    ColoursYouHave
    ✭✭✭✭✭

lucky u.

I have 16g ram and I haven't monitored the temperature.

The game runs well on my computer even with Ultra Settings. However, when i see fire with Ultra settings the game closes and takes me to the log in screen. No error, no freezing, and no warning. I don't know what causes it, but after research I came to the conclusion it was fire/flames.

Examples:

- I'm in a fight and someone throws a fireball at me, the game window would close and take me to the log in screen.

- I TP to Ash, and as soon as I move away from the mage guards the game window closes and takes me to the log in screen.

Both situations had fire involved. It happened all the time, and I couldn't TP to a keep without 80% of the time restarting the game.

It has been a long time since I used Ultra. I might go home and see if I still have the same issues.

Hmm. I'll make sure to start using fire abilities whenever I run into you in Cyrodiil...

All jokes aside, it does seem odd that fire effects would cause the game to crash. I would definitely check for any Windows or driver updates, as well as try monitoring your temperatures while playing, just to stay on the safe side. You can download free software that'll track temperatures from your BIOS readings and display them for you (I use CPUID's HWMonitor, personally.) You could also try adjusting things like Bloom or Max Particle Systems in your graphics settings to see if you can isolate a specific setting that is causing the issue.
    Options
  • Just_call_me_Cola
    Just_call_me_Cola
    ✭✭✭
    From what I hear ESO will get capped by your CPU before your ram or GPU.

At the risk of getting this totally wrong. Get a fast CPU or get ESO to thread their ***
    Edited by Just_call_me_Cola on March 17, 2017 10:56PM
    Options
  • DCeiver0
    DCeiver0
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've run ESO through 4 computers, the most recent being able to handle it on high settings. When I played it for the first time in high quality:
    giphy.gif
    Edited by DCeiver0 on March 17, 2017 11:12PM
    Ärchøn of the Covenant - DC Magblade
    Ärchøn of the Dominion - AD Magblade
    Venom - EP Stamdk
    Sentinel - AD DK
    Sirocco - DC WereOrcSorc
    Wendigo - DC Warden
    Options
  • Silky
    Silky
    ✭✭✭
    1440p on ultra. Its CPU bound. I have the same gpu as my old computer and it went from 20-30 fps on ultra to 70fps. It's not a core issue either, its a clock issue. My old cpu was a x5670 6 core from forever ago that capped at 3.7ghz. New processor is 4 core and goes to 4.2ghz and its night and day.
    GM of SADBOYS
    Living Dumpster Fire

Options
  • ColoursYouHave
    ColoursYouHave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has the lag in Cyrodiil been really bad for anybody else lately? I went into BWB for the first time in a couple weeks tonight, and all I could notice was how bad the lag was. My latency was regularly spiking to 500+ ms. I'm not sure if this is just a Zenimax server issue, or if I need to start looking into issues with my own network, because I don't remember it ever being this bad prior to me taking a couple weeks off of PVP.
    Options
This discussion has been closed.