Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

2K for Nord Hero Armor?

• TheValkyn
    TheValkyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to put this into perspective of some other "No subscription" mmos that have cash shops.

SWTOR will charge you $39.99 for the chance at getting a rare or unique outfit style. Some people spend hundreds of dollars and don't get what they were looking for. /WavesHand

DCUO charges $9.99 at the chance at a limited aura... Glowing, floaty thing around your character. Some people have spent $200+ and they still don't get what they want. DCUO also charges 2000 Daybreak Cash (the equivalent of $20 or 4 months of subscription allocations) for a Batman cowl.

You have it good.

• demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hayseeds will buy it. Looks like a few already did. Kudos to you!
    All good Nords goto Sto'Vo'Kor.
  • TheSwanKing
    TheSwanKing
    ✭✭✭
    Well.. I have recently brought the armor and I don't know what you mean about bad textures, the game loses around 5fps when I wear it so either the shine or the textures do it.
    But.. The armor is worth it if you pay a Nord, plus I don't doubt they won't update it in the future if enough people moan.
  • Blacknight841
    Blacknight841
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/01/Oblivion—Horse_Armor.jpg[/img]

Let me point out that the history of elder scrolls is not only filled with great lore, but also with nonsensical DLC that is overpriced for its practicality.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    TheValkyn wrote: »
    I would like to put this into perspective of some other "No subscription" mmos that have cash shops.

SWTOR will charge you $39.99 for the chance at getting a rare or unique outfit style. Some people spend hundreds of dollars and don't get what they were looking for. /WavesHand

DCUO charges $9.99 at the chance at a limited aura... Glowing, floaty thing around your character. Some people have spent $200+ and they still don't get what they want. DCUO also charges 2000 Daybreak Cash (the equivalent of $20 or 4 months of subscription allocations) for a Batman cowl.

You have it good.

We have it good?

The game "Second Life" is free. I can buy a nice outfit for my avatar for 400L which is basically less than 2.00 USD.

Charging such large prices for digital items is crazy.

Here is a good example of the way I am thinking:

- Lets say they sold one mount for 20.00.. yay they made some money.
    - Lets say they lowered the price to 5.00 and now 20 people bought it.. yay they made more money.
    Edited by vamp_emily on January 29, 2016 7:43PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• TheValkyn
    TheValkyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »

You have it good.

We have it good?

The game "Second Life" is free. I can buy a nice outfit for my avatar for 400L which is basically less than 2.00 USD.

Charging such large prices for digital items is crazy.

Here is a good example of the way I am thinking:

- Lets say they sold one mount for 20.00.. yay they made some money.
    - Lets say they lowered the price to 5.00 and now 20 people bought it.. yay they made more money.

"Second Life"? Never heard of it.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

smiles, google it. It was not a game recommendation. I was just showing a price comparison. You can still have a successful business without charging your customers high prices per item. I think lowering the price would bring in new sales. Also, if ZOS allowed players to gift other players then I am sure they will even sell more items from the crown store.

• FortheloveofKrist
    FortheloveofKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, everyone. This the the first ESO thread where you are all correct.

Too expensive. Check, definitely.
    Comparable price to DLCs. Check again.
    You don't have to buy it. True, check.
    Ugly armor. Yup, check.
    People will still buy it. Checkity check.

And one of these is the only ultimate bottom line in business.

• MikeB
    MikeB
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You have it good.

Well lets compare it to their direct competition on consoles (I'm a console player). Neverwinters (NW) highest costing costume is $12, then you can customize said costume with whatever colors you wants so you don't look the same as everyone else. Yes, you have to buy the dye to change the color but it would still cost less than this so called "Hero" armor.

Now let's compare mounts. NW's most expensive mounts are $40, and one might think that's expensive, but with ESO you would have to buy the mount ($10-$30) THEN buy the speed upgrade ($60) for every character you have to match what you get with a NW mount at $40. This doesn't count the additional $120 ($60 for stamina & $60 for carry) you would have to spend in ESO to get a max mount. And to go into PvP w/o max speed and stamina is basically suicide if you get ganked while on your mount.
    Edited by MikeB on January 29, 2016 8:45PM
  • TheValkyn
    TheValkyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

smiles, google it. It was not a game recommendation. I was just showing a price comparison. You can still have a successful business without charging your customers high prices per item. I think lowering the price would bring in new sales. Also, if ZOS allowed players to gift other players then I am sure they will even sell more items from the crown store.

Go talk to Bentley, Ferrari and Lamborghini with that sales pitch. I'm sure they'd be interested in hearing your strategy for sales. :smirk:
  • TheValkyn
    TheValkyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MikeB wrote: »

You have it good.

Well lets compare it to their direct competition on consoles (I'm a console player). Neverwinters (NW) highest costing costume is $12, then you can customize said costume with whatever colors you wants so you don't look the same as everyone else. Yes, you have to buy the dye to change the color but it would still cost less than this so called "Hero" armor.

Now let's compare mounts. NW's most expensive mounts are $40, and one might think that's expensive, but with ESO you would have to buy the mount ($10-$30) THEN buy the speed upgrade ($60) to match what you get with a NW mount at $40. This doesn't count the additional $120 ($60 for stamina & $60 for carry) you would have to spend in ESO to get a max mount. And to go into PvP w/o max speed and stamina is basically suicide if you get caught in your mount.

I already compared it to their direct competition on consoles. DCUO is already on the PS3, PS4 and this spring it will be on Xbox One.
  • MikeB
    MikeB
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You have it good.

Now let's compare mounts. NW's most expensive mounts are $40, and one might think that's expensive, but with ESO you would have to buy the mount ($10-$30) THEN buy the speed upgrade ($60) to match what you get with a NW mount at $40. This doesn't count the additional $120 ($60 for stamina & $60 for carry) you would have to spend in ESO to get a max mount. And to go into PvP w/o max speed and stamina is basically suicide if you get caught in your mount.

I already compared it to their direct competition on consoles. DCUO is already on the PS3, PS4 and this spring it will be on Xbox One.

Well to quote you, I've never heard of DCUO. And I'm on Xbox.

Edit: just looked up DCUO and its a horrid game that only children with no real world experience in value play. So no, its not in competition with ESO. My 13yo nephew quit playing it because it was bad and he still likes CoD.
    Edited by MikeB on January 29, 2016 8:55PM
  • TheTwistedRune
    TheTwistedRune
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    OK, I think it's time for some constructive feedback so they can hopefully improve this 2k armour for those suckers people who bought it.

1. It's far too shiny. Did the Nord Hero use Mr Sheen on this supposedly battered and worn armour?
    2. The edges on everything are too rounded. It literally looks like plastic. Give it some jaggered edges or something
    3. The textures are extremely poor
    4. Unless you have the right shaped head, the helmet doesn't look like it fits, so it really does look like a poor-man's costume.
    5. The extra details on the armour, like badges, look like they were tacked on there with Paint.NET.

Basically, if you didn't call this the Nord Hero Costume, I wouldn't have a clue what you were trying to achieve with this product. It really looks bad ZOS, and you should feel bad if you don't plan on fixing it.
    Did I buy it? Hell no, and I don't intend to, but you really need to make some adjustments for those who dished out 2k crowns for something that looks more comical than the jester outfit.

Finally a post with some sense, instead of this pointless bickering about price which is all a matter of opinion anyway.

I for one think the major issue here is with the textures. I can live with minor clipping, and the minor discrepancies with the original armour from which it was based. But those textures are very poor indeed.

If people like it, great. I hope ZOS do improve it though so it becomes worthy of that praise.
  • MikeB
    MikeB
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Go talk to Bentley, Ferrari and Lamborghini with that sales pitch. I'm sure they'd be interested in hearing your strategy for sales. :smirk:

That's a ridiculous comparison. Those car companies sell style, comfort, luxury, performance and the top end of technology in a car. They can't be compared to say a economy car that sells Hi volume at an affordable price.
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭

again a bad comparison. the production cost of each car is high aswell. as it is for ingame things like a outfit there is only cost in the intial design. it doesn't matter if they have to sell it 1 time or 100000000000 times production cost is the same
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comparing the cost of a vanity item to the cost of DLC is apples to oranges. It is like comparing the cost of water to the cost of a Gucci handbag. One is necessary for human survival, one is just some fluff to make people feel good about themselves. Selling as much DLC as possible is necessary for the survival of the game. If not much DLC sells and hardly anyone is in a new DLC zone to group with, it makes the content less desirable. If not many people have a Gucci bag or Rolex watch or Nord Hero costume, it actually makes it more desirable, by lending special snowflake status to the people who do buy it.

They almost certainly put more than $20/person effort in Thieves Guild. You get a discount on that. It is a loss leader. How are they making up for selling DLC below cost? From the people who spend lots of money on cosmetic items like mounts and motifs and pets and costumes.

You can have a $15/month required subscription and get this stuff in game, or
    You can have $50 DLC and $5 mounts, or
    You can have $20 DLC and $30 mounts

Something has to give here. You cannot have no subscription and cheap DLC and cheap vanity items in the cash shop and cheap everything. And I would rather they make their money through cash grabs on items that have no impact on gameplay. As opposed to high priced DLC or selling Maelstrom weapons for $100 in the Crown Store or any of a dozen other Pay-2-Win schemes.
    Edited by Dagoth_Rac on January 29, 2016 9:01PM
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

omg :wink: we are not talking cars.. we are talking pixels. Something that has one initial cost for developing and can be sold many times at no additional labor/material cost.

Edit:

Just an interesting note. I had to sit in on a sales meeting, and I skimmed thru this book someone gave me.

In the book a business owner was going on vacation, and left a note to her employee, which said something like this. "Please move [ some item ] to the front of the store and mark it down 50%".

When she came back from vacation and she noticed every item was sold. she told her employee , " I knew if i marked them down, I would sell them all. I have been trying to sell them all year and nobody had bought any."

The employee responded, "Mark them down? I must have read the note wrong I marked them up 50%".

Edited by vamp_emily on January 29, 2016 9:15PM

• Blacknight841
    Blacknight841
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well on one hand you can spend 2000c to look like a really cool person in the game and show off that you spent a lot of money to be recognized as a guy with really cool armor.

OR....

You can get all this:

Thieves Guild DLC Game Pack Features & Content

Join the iconic Thieves Guild for the first time in ESO
    Hew's Bane, a new zone available to characters of all levels and home of Abah's Landing, the Thieves Guild headquarters, located in the southern peninsula of Hammerfell
    Hours of exciting new story content and quests that will take you through all your favorite areas of Tamriel
    A challenging, new 12-player trial: Maw of Lorkhaj
    Formidable new group bosses and delves to conquer
    The addition of new criminal activities
    A new passive skill line exclusive to members of the Thieves Guild
    Unique costumes, motifs, and item sets inspired by the devious Thieves Guild
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JnBOrEB.png

@NoMoreChillies

Just a quick shout out to how awesome your armor looks. One of the best I have seen. I have trouble making light armor sets look any good.
  • TheValkyn
    TheValkyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You have it good.

Well to quote you, I've never heard of DCUO. And I'm on Xbox.

Edit: just looked up DCUO and its a horrid game that only children with no real world experience in value play. So no, its not in competition with ESO. My 13yo nephew quit playing it because it was bad and he still likes CoD.

"It's a horrid game that only children with no real world experience in value play."

Oddly enough I believe it was the most popular f2p MMO on the PSN at one point. That was last year I believe. Actually, quite a few of the PS players play both ESO and DCUO. Both have great combat when compared to other MMO titles.

I don't believe that 13 year olds with zero income and/or no credit card are their primary target. He could have also been really bad at the game and rage quit. It's skill ceiling is in fact fairly steep. There are a lot of possibilities. Also as a reminder, it is completely possible to have a discussion without being salty. Try it out! :smile:

Edited by TheValkyn on January 29, 2016 10:18PM
  • TheValkyn
    TheValkyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't like the costume then don't buy it. Mind your own business and move along. Beyond the decision to purchase it or not it's really none of your concern. Get off the soap box. Purchase the costume or don't.

It's simple. Really, it is. I promise.

Edited by TheValkyn on January 29, 2016 10:11PM
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I didn't pay 2k for this costume and I bought it and the pet yesterday.... wth? I only had 2k Crowns... It was 1300 crowns and 700 for the pet.... Unless I imagined that?
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Did I imagine that? This thread has me seriously confused now...

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's definitely 2k, dude.
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I need to check this when I get off work, but dang... if I paid that w/o realizing it... wow, just wow.

• Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    nimander99 wrote: »
    I need to check this when I get off work, but dang... if I paid that w/o realizing it... wow, just wow.

Do you sub? Maybe your monthly crowns came through and you didn't notice? Let me know what you find out, I'm curious now! :tongue:
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cazzy wrote: »
    nimander99 wrote: »

Do you sub? Maybe your monthly crowns came through and you didn't notice? Let me know what you find out, I'm curious now! :tongue:

Yes I sub... that could be what got me.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, its really cool armor but 2k is taking it to far. That's how much Thieves Guild DLC costs...
    Edited by nimander99 on January 29, 2016 10:47PM

• Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/01/Oblivion—Horse_Armor.jpg[/img]

Let me point out that the history of elder scrolls is not only filled with great lore, but also with nonsensical DLC that is overpriced for its practicality.

I've seen that horse armor in a Mod for Skyrim.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It's a horrid game that only children with no real world experience in value play."

Oddly enough I believe it was the most popular f2p MMO on the PSN at one point. That was last year I believe. Actually, quite a few of the PS players play both ESO and DCUO. Both have great combat when compared to other MMO titles.

I don't believe that 13 year olds with zero income and/or no credit card are their primary target. He could have also been really bad at the game and rage quit. It's skill ceiling is in fact fairly steep. There are a lot of possibilities. Also as a reminder, it is completely possible to have a discussion without being salty. Try it out! :smile:

I think the problem is, he saw that DCUO is not available for XBOX and is throwing attitude about it. In fact, many people continuously petition Daybreak to make it available for XBOX. The fact is, it is a decent game especially if you're a major DC Comics fan- and the game always seems to get a bump when a new DC movie comes out- so they'll probably see another player surge when Batman v. Superman debuts. However, I left the game because the developers are jerks with major egos and rarely pay attention to what the players want and instead give players what THEY (the devs) want to give them. In reality, I think the game has gone on far too long and with Daybreak not exactly having a lot of success since SOE dissolved, I'm not sure how bright the future is for DCUO. Sad, because it has a LOT of potential, but the devs are just mired in their arrogance to do the right things with the game IMO.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • TheDracojan
    TheDracojan
    ✭✭✭
    I like it, but the clipping is killing it, if only the weapons could be placed on non-clipping parts...

Guess I'll bury it until they fix it.
    w7XkkMK.jpg
    Edited by TheDracojan on January 30, 2016 2:11AM