Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

FPS drop over time

• Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Betheny wrote: »
    EDIT:
    This is what is pre-installed (end-user Runtimes):
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
    This is what you need to make sure it installs correctly (SDK):
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812

These are the links we wanted.

You only need the last one. First one is pre-installed with the game. Last one is the one that might help for some (but again, no magical fix).

I was on pc now. Easier to look for them :).

Awesome, cheers. I installed them anyway despite being on Win 7 just in case it's a fixxy. Will give it a whirl later and test for for a few days.
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nope, the DirectX downloads and whatnot is NOT a fix.
  • Cambion2401
    Cambion2401
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, the DirectX downloads and whatnot is NOT a fix.

Already said it wouldnt fix for everyone, and probably not completely fix for anyone, but it can help.

Also already said it most likely didn't work on non-windows 10 because this is a fix for problems caused by emulating older DirectX versions, which is a Windows 10 thing in general.

Considering the sound thought DirectX helped a guy, and DirectX SDK helped a few others, I'm thinking the problem might be related to the DirectX programming. Nothing we can fix ourself, that's up to Zenimax, but playing arround with DirectX settings can help until it's fixed.
    Started ESO: February 2015
    99% solo PvE'er
    PC-EU
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Considering the sound thought DirectX helped a guy, and DirectX SDK helped a few others, I'm thinking the problem might be related to the DirectX programming. Nothing we can fix ourself, that's up to Zenimax, but playing arround with DirectX settings can help until it's fixed.

Great. You think it's a coding fail...ZOS don't ever fix bugs so guess we're stuck with it.
  • Cambion2401
    Cambion2401
    ✭✭✭
    [Great. You think it's a coding fail...ZOS don't ever fix bugs so guess we're stuck with it.

Yes, if ZOS doesn't fix it, I think we are. But considering the exact problem has changed over time, and is even gone now (ad least, for me), I guess they are trying. It is often said that Zenimax has so called spaghetti code, which is really bad for fixing, or coding in general. If those remarks are true, that might be why they have a hard time fixing it. DirectX is quite complex, and if your code is unorganised and hard to read, it can be nearly impossible to find the cause of problems. Not to mention the question if it's code from Zenimax or the original engine they have been editing (I believe the engine is an edited version from Hero engine?). If Hero engine had bad code, it can be nearly impossible for Zenimax to read that in the first place, but than, they should have questioned about that before using the engine in the first place.

Point is, Zenimax might very well be trying to fix it, as small changes within this problem have appeared. But if they are trying and are having problems, some more information than "we look into it" (which becomes easily unbelievable, especially after so much time) would be appreciated. I don't ask to share code, but explaining the problem some more, and give reason for the amount of time it takes, would be nice.

I have seen Zenimax fix many bug and other problem which got complaints, so I don't think they never do. But like I said, spaghetti coding and complex coding is a bad combo, so if it's true Zenimax has bad coding standards and created spaghetti code, that might be the cause for long taking or never made fixes.

But in general, yes I think the coding fails, and it seems to be the DirectX coding. But optimising your DirectX settings might help and keep it playable until it is fixed.
    99% solo PvE'er
    PC-EU
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    hzf4g8nhv5wee68.gif
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But optimising your DirectX settings might help and keep it playable until it is fixed.

Explain what you mean by optimising my directx settings.

As far as I know all is in order...so what exactly am I missing that you have a handle on?
  • Cambion2401
    Cambion2401
    ✭✭✭
    But optimising your DirectX settings might help and keep it playable until it is fixed.

As far as I know all is in order...so what exactly am I missing that you have a handle on?

Anything that can be optimized really. Sound settings helped for someone, installing SDK helped for others. It can be anything related to DirectX that can improve performance for this game. I would say, make sure DirectX runs 100% perfect on your pc, and make it optimized on performance rather than power. Otherwise, play around with anything DirectX related that is running while playing ESO, to see if you can make improvements.

Sadly, it takes a lot of testing and debugging to optimise it as every set-up is different. Any software, os (and changes to this), hardware, etc. might changes what works best.
    99% solo PvE'er
    PC-EU
  • GoldSabre
    GoldSabre
    Soul Shriven

Anything that can be optimized really.

@Cambion2401, you need to stop saying this. A few of the suggestions posted so far were to run some DirectX installers for things that won't exist on a usual Windows 10 system. That's it. No optimization, just installing things and seeing if it works. Right now you're selling false hope to people in search of a solution.

There's no optimization of DirectX that people like us are capable of doing. We either install something or we don't. Please avoid pretending like DirectX is somehow going to be automagically optimized by user effort - it's not. I've tried the DirectX installers people suggested and it didn't result in any measurable change (besides breaking games that ran on the Unreal 4 Engine), which is why I no longer play ESO.

I very much doubt the issue can be resolved by something DirectX related, since people on Windows 7 are seeing the same FPS drop issue, and the attempted fix would only have worked for Windows 10 - which it didn't, anyway. The guy who said something about sound is a troll.
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've tried everything my end...this is an issue that appeared quite recently for me (a few months now I think).

I think ZOS have screwed something up (again) and it's a diceroll who gets to bear the brunt of their fail.
  • Cambion2401
    Cambion2401
    ✭✭✭
    GoldSabre wrote: »

Anything that can be optimized really.

@Cambion2401, you need to stop saying this. A few of the suggestions posted so far were to run some DirectX installers for things that won't exist on a usual Windows 10 system. That's it. No optimization, just installing things and seeing if it works. Right now you're selling false hope to people in search of a solution.

There's no optimization of DirectX that people like us are capable of doing. We either install something or we don't. Please avoid pretending like DirectX is somehow going to be automagically optimized by user effort - it's not. I've tried the DirectX installers people suggested and it didn't result in any measurable change (besides breaking games that ran on the Unreal 4 Engine), which is why I no longer play ESO.

I very much doubt the issue can be resolved by something DirectX related, since people on Windows 7 are seeing the same FPS drop issue, and the attempted fix would only have worked for Windows 10 - which it didn't, anyway. The guy who said something about sound is a troll.

There are many things that can be changed, like videocard settings, (DirectX related) sound settings, etc. Setting of anything that goes trough DirectX. One setting might work better than the other, but what works best depend on your entire set-up. This is what I meant...

And I've seen it work before, on multiple systems. Believe what you will, and install what you will, but don't start about that there is nothing else that can be done but installing SDKs, because it's sims not true. I have never stated SDKS as a magical fix. I said it helped for some. Don't act like I said it's a magical fix...
    99% solo PvE'er
    PC-EU
  • GoldSabre
    GoldSabre
    Soul Shriven
    There are many things that can be changed, like videocard settings, (DirectX related) sound settings, etc. Setting of anything that goes trough DirectX. One setting might work better than the other, but what works best depend on your entire set-up.

Unfortunately, we've already tried different in-game settings and found that there is no correlation between them and the FPS drop issue. This issue occurs across a broad spectrum of PC parts, from low-end to high-end.
    And I've seen it work before, on multiple systems. Believe what you will, and install what you will, but don't start about that there is nothing else that can be done but installing SDKs, because it's sims not true. I have never stated SDKS as a magical fix. I said it helped for some. Don't act like I said it's a magical fix...

It's important that people new to the thread know the current state of the issue. While there have been suggested fixes, and although a very small number of people have reported that things are better (though not always fixed), the majority are still impacted by significant FPS drop over time. Yes, people can change in-game settings and download some DirectX installers, but as an FYI for newcomers: there's a good chance this won't work.
  • Cambion2401
    Cambion2401
    ✭✭✭
    There are many things that can be changed, like videocard settings, (DirectX related) sound settings, etc. Setting of anything that goes trough DirectX. One setting might work better than the other, but what works best depend on your entire set-up.

Unfortunately, we've already tried different in-game settings and found that there is no correlation between them and the FPS drop issue. This issue occurs across a broad spectrum of PC parts, from low-end to high-end.
    Not in-game settings. Gpu settings, sound settings, anything that goes trough DirectX. In-game settings are always very lacking in options. I meant open your control panel and try stuff there (grafical options can be set for one game specific). Perhaps an extended control panel, especially for AMD users. Have multiple modes on your cards, try others. Perhaps even different driver versions. All things you can take note in. The problem is with the game, but there are more settings than in-game ones. Basically, find what settings are the best tuned to work with the game.

It's important that people new to the thread know the current state of the issue. While there have been suggested fixes, and although a very small number of people have reported that things are better (though not always fixed), the majority are still impacted by significant FPS drop over time. Yes, people can change in-game settings and download some DirectX installers, but as an FYI for newcomers: there's a good chance this won't work.

Yes, I agree, but I've always stated that there is a good change it doesn't help. After my statement I've mainly been answering questions, and trying to troubleshoot further. When programming everyday, the first thing I'm thinking when stuff goes wrong is "what going wrong within the problem, than look into what I can do personally. After leaving an (as detailed as possible) bug report ofc.

I just don't like being talked to like I've been telling *** or making claims I didn't, and that's what I've protested against. If people stop doing that and are not asking questions, I have nothing more to say in general, I've made my points already.
    99% solo PvE'er
    PC-EU
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've run out of "directx-related things" to adjust. Been all through nvidia inspector and tried all I could, changed drivers, tweaked .ini settings as well as ingame settings...sooo...so much for it being GPU-related.

• Cambion2401
    Cambion2401
    ✭✭✭
    I've run out of "directx-related things" to adjust. Been all through nvidia inspector and tried all I could, changed drivers, tweaked .ini settings as well as ingame settings...sooo...so much for it being GPU-related.

Once again, probably code related, but it CAN help to adjust DirectX related settings. It's not GPU related (with how many different set-up have problems, that would be odd), but adjusting that can make it more playable. That's all. It's worth a try and might make it playable (or might not make a difference at all, again, to many things that can influence it that differs for each set-up), but it's not THE fix.

Probably, you can't fix it unless you inject/hack the code (but as I've only seem some lua scripts and use of existing injection like reshade I doubt it happens soon). Pretty big change you have to wait for Zenimax to fix it if it stays unplayable.
    Edited by Cambion2401 on June 19, 2017 8:50AM
    99% solo PvE'er
    PC-EU
  • Ahmbor
    Ahmbor
    ✭✭✭
    Ahmbor wrote: »
    This is what you need to make sure it installs correctly (SDK):
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812

Should i install everything from the SDK or just the runtime?
  • Hyade
    Hyade
    I have now had this problem across multiple GPUs. I have never had any addons. I think it may be related to moving around the map, as I usually notice it only after riding my mount somewhere - it seems like I can spend a very long time exploring indoor areas without any issue. This would also explain why it happens to so many people in Cyrodil, as that map is enormous and you end up travelling a long way.

Not that any of that helps one way or the other. Everyone I talk to still has this problem.
    Edited by Hyade on July 27, 2017 6:49AM
  • Ahmbor
    Ahmbor
    ✭✭✭
    Hyade wrote: »
    I have now had this problem across multiple GPUs. I have never had any addons. I think it may be related to moving around the map, as I usually notice it only after riding my mount somewhere - it seems like I can spend a very long time exploring indoor areas without any issue. This would also explain why it happens to so many people in Cyrodil, as that map is enormous and you end up travelling a long way.

Not that any of that helps one way or the other. Everyone I talk to still has this problem.

I think the same.

I noticed when I am on a map, and I walk through an area, like a city or a quest area with many opponents, and then the performance goes down steadily.
    No matter how far away I am from the city, as soon as I look only in the direction of the city, the performance goes down. Whether I see the city or I am at the opposite end of the map.

It seems to me as if everything you see in your travels through a map, remains in the memory and is not removed if you do not see it or you are too far away.

If I change the map, the whole process repeats itself.

EDIT: My sound fix, doesn't fix it :(
    Edited by Ahmbor on July 27, 2017 7:48AM
  • Rikkof
    Rikkof
    ✭✭✭
    Hyade wrote: »

I think the same.

I noticed when I am on a map, and I walk through an area, like a city or a quest area with many opponents, and then the performance goes down steadily.
    No matter how far away I am from the city, as soon as I look only in the direction of the city, the performance goes down. Whether I see the city or I am at the opposite end of the map.

It seems to me as if everything you see in your travels through a map, remains in the memory and is not removed if you do not see it or you are too far away.

If I change the map, the whole process repeats itself.

EDIT: My sound fix, doesn't fix it :(

simply put, its a memory leak
    the game doesnt release teh cached data, and keeps it tehr
    this also can lead to the game not shuting down properly, and remain hanged in the system, you need to hard reboot pc or alt+ctrl+del and change pc user , witch is kinda teh same
    it's memory leak
  • Ahmbor
    Ahmbor
    ✭✭✭
    Was the leak finally fixed? I want to play again.
  • reActor1
    reActor1
    ✭✭✭

If you have my same issue, it's still there.
    My FPS cannot be fully restored even if I leave the crowded area. They do are restored if I move to another pvp campaign, enter IC or a delve.

@ZOS_AlexTardif It's been an year we are asking for a workaround to avoid relogging or scene change. Any chance to have a script (or kind of) to simulate this? It might be a good temporary solution which wouldn't require to pin down the real cause (thus less expensive).
    [PC][EU]
  • Ahmbor
    Ahmbor
    ✭✭✭
    HalfSaw wrote: »

If you have my same issue, it's still there.
    My FPS cannot be fully restored even if I leave the crowded area. They do are restored if I move to another pvp campaign, enter IC or a delve.

@ZOS_AlexTardif It's been an year we are asking for a workaround to avoid relogging or scene change. Any chance to have a script (or kind of) to simulate this? It might be a good temporary solution which wouldn't require to pin down the real cause (thus less expensive).

Yes, i have exactly the same problem.
  • Balgost
    Balgost
    ✭✭✭
    Rikkof wrote: »
    this also can lead to the game not shuting down properly, and remain hanged in the system, you need to hard reboot pc or alt+ctrl+del and change pc user , witch is kinda teh same
    it's memory leak

I'm on Win7-64bit. I brought up the performance tab and just let it sit on a secondary monitor. When the FPS bug hit I looked and memory usage was around 97%. When I quit the game it went to ~35%. Then when I restarted the client it went to around 83% (iirc) which is probably about where it should be.

Like others, this is a rinse and repeat. If I keep playing...it comes back.

Edited by Balgost on September 15, 2017 12:36AM
  • Ahmbor
    Ahmbor
    ✭✭✭
    Balgost wrote: »
    Rikkof wrote: »
    it's memory leak

I'm on Win7-64bit. I brought up the performance tab and just let it sit on a secondary monitor. When the FPS bug hit I looked and memory usage was around 97%. When I quit the game it went to ~35%. Then when I restarted the client it went to around 83% (iirc) which is probably about where it should be.

Like others, this is a rinse and repeat. If I keep playing...it comes back.

This is exactly my problem. And it is so tiresome to restart every 20 minutes the game.
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Balgost wrote: »
    I'm on Win7-64bit.

Well, you should update to windows10, the performance improvements in W10 are very noticeable. I know that this won't solve the issues with the memory leaks and performance degradation of the ESO client, but still, W10 runs better, specially for gaming.
  • Balgost
    Balgost
    ✭✭✭
    ManDraKE wrote: »
    Well, you should update to windows10, the performance improvements in W10 are very noticeable. I know that this won't solve the issues with the memory leaks and performance degradation of the ESO client, but still, W10 runs better, specially for gaming.

I'm good thanks. This is the only game I encounter problems with and like you said its the game not the OS.

• d0e1ow
    d0e1ow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bumping this because it is still occurring.
    "Her mystery was as essential to her as savagery was to Boethiah or treachery was to Molag Bal. To understand Nocturnal is to negate her, to pull back the curtains cloaking her realm of darkness." - Sigillah Parate "Invocation of Azura"

• UnseenCat
    UnseenCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Overall, Windows 10 seems to offer better DirectX performance and does better with CPU-GPU thread communication.

Bonus - My impression under Windows 10 is that it can minimize the effects of the memory leak, but not eliminate it.

The success also may depend on how much memory you have installed on your computer:

4GB RAM - Probably little or no improvement, maybe even worse performance if you have a laptop GPU which uses "shared memory"
    8GB RAM - Some improvement, but may still develop random, hitchy, janky frame rates and lagspikes regardless of ping that increase with playtime, only to disappear and then come back after a while. Often in combat. :s
    16GB RAM - Almost immune. Almost. Still subject to non-ping-related lag and lack of input response at critical times, but much harder to determine if the game is just misbehaving in general (The generic lagspike/FPS stutter complaint) or if it's the memory leak raising its ugly head and getting beaten back down.

CPU speed and threading efficiency can also come into play.

Windows 10 does have much better memory and thread management than prior WIndows versions. It can dodge memory leaks and try to clean up after them on-the-fly, but it comes with a two-fold cost.

First, memory cleanup triggered by a leak will spawn a spike in OS-related thread activity. Faster CPUs and ones with more cores will handle this better because the work will be shuffled off to the core(s) not running the main game thread or any minor supporting threads. It still causes a flurry of CPU activity which will can shift or destabilize the main game thread with wait states. Faster, beefier CPUs make this less noticeable.

Second, Windows has to allocate more memory for the cleanup threads and working space in memory to sort the active, valid memory addresses from the "stale" ones caused by the leak. To do that, it needs more headroom in the form of unused memory. A 4GB machine is very likely to be forced to swap things to disk, which will kill your game performance. An 8GB machine may or may not have to swap, depending on what else is running besides the game. A 16GB machine can probably keep the game going as smooth as can be expected while Windows shuffles and sifts through bad memory addresses like crazy, as long as you're not running too many things in the background. At 16GB, processor speed and thread efficiency probably makes more of a difference.

In most if not all cases, Windows 10 doesn't seem to let the game crash and kick you out while playing. Depending on installed memory and CPU efficiency, it still might stumble and lag and make you want to rage-quit, but it resists dumping the game with the tenacity of an Orc tank.

Under Win10, there's still a very good chance that the game will crash upon a user-initiated quit, however. (The "ESO has stopped responding" error when you click "Quit") That's because the memory leak is very much alive and Windows is in the middle of cleaning up after it (again) or hasn't yet started another run of cleanup, and then discovers that ESO has gone and made a right royal mess in RAM -- and can't possibly shut down cleanly. So the game code gets rudely strangled and shoved brutally back into the pit from which it slithered, while Windows breaks out the mop and bucket for the umpteenth time.

In other words, Windows 10 seems to be able to band-aid over misbehaving programs, but at costs to performance still. It's just better at *** than older versions, and can probably slog through if you can survive the performance drops in-game. The real solution, though, is still to fix the bug in the game code.
  • Dracofyre
    Dracofyre
    ✭✭✭✭
    i am on Win10, still have problems. i see mem-leak getting worst since end of july.
    also, i got 16GB ram, seem it doesnt help much, i think i may go to 64GB or 128GB?
    Edited by Dracofyre on October 19, 2017 2:19AM
  • lahandra
    lahandra
    Soul Shriven
    Windows 10.... GTX 1080.... 32 GB of RAM..... Same ridiculous issue......smh
This discussion has been closed.