The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Campaign Performance

• Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rickter wrote: »
    Zbigb4life wrote: »
    Rickter wrote: »
    Zbigb4life wrote: »

Leave him working??? They haven't fixed this while it's going on for almost 2 years! I rather thing they are incompetent and just don't know how to fix the mess they created: NPC guards in Cyrodill having more skills then intended, constant lag and loading screens, animation cancelling (which was not intended). They just don't have a clue what to do about it. Insteed they keep launching new dye's, skins and mounts: that's their actual level they can handle.

Cyrodiil performance team ≠ the Cosmetics team

ZOS does work very hard to keep the servers stable. I dont think you really understand the processing and storage needed to run something like pvp. lots of moving parts. there is no one specific problem.

You're the one not (willing?) to understand it. I don't care the performance team is not the same as cosmetics: it still is ZOS!
    BTW I don't have to understand the processing and storage needs, I bought this game so I believe I can expect after a period of 2 years their servers could finally handle all interactions.

Do I need to remind you Brain already acknowledged these performance issues early 2016 with his 'what's coming this year' and said that they are looking into this problem. The only thing they are looking into is how to make more money with no effort at all!

Wake up and stop saying ZOS works hard: in any other normal company you would be fired if you still had the same problems after all these years. ZOS has no clue how to resolve it!

its not a matter of what im willing to do or not. I just think its frankly, quite silly to think zos does not care about the performance in cyrodiil. they do, and im sticking to that.

There is caring and then there is actively devoting resources in an attempt to address core issues.

As long as ZoS is convinced that performance is terrible because everyone just happened to unlock a bunch of passives just when the Lightning patch was released, all we will ever get from them is sympathy.
    Edited by Joy_Division on August 11, 2017 2:44PM
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is caring and then there is actively devoting resources in an attempt to address core issues.

As long as ZoS is convinced that performance is terrible because everyone just happened to unlock a bunch of passives just when the Lightning patch was released, all we will ever get from them is sympathy.

Exactly. The lighting "upgrade" has been the root of virtually all PvP lag. PvP was good from release until the lighting and fx patch. It introduced post processing lighting. It's been crap ever since. It's not flipping rocket-surgery making a correlation. If ZoS was serious about creating the best experience possible they'd roll that crud back, wait to release it until they have servers that can actually handle it AND give players the ability to disable it entirely on their own systems. It's pretty sad / pathetic they've ignored this issue and passed the blame for years now.

• Jamascus
    Jamascus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jamascus wrote: »
    Lighting would effect your client and not the server, and that's what these changes are focused on.

It was the botting "fix" from that patch.....

They have never publicly admitted to any botting fix in that update. At least, not that I have seen.

Here's the thread from the summer 2014

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/118351/new-performance-fps-issues-hotfix/p5

Here's what Jessica said in that thread

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    admin
    We at ZOS are constantly looking at ways to enhance security for The Elder Scrolls Online, especially when it comes to combating bots, cheaters, and spammers. We do so in an effort to maintain as fair and high quality a gameplay experience as possible for our players. In a recent round of client security enhancements, we made a change that interacted with some of the client’s gameplay systems in a way we didn’t anticipate. Specifically, this had to do with resource contention (when two or more threads of execution are trying to simultaneously access the same data) that could occur when performing certain security checks from multiple threads at the same time. Certain high-load combat scenarios are where you were most likely to encounter the issue.

Today’s hotfix included performance enhancements to these security measures that made improvements in average frames-per-second as well as frame-time stability. We will continue to monitor how these and other security enhancements effect performance, and will continue to make improvements.

Thanks for your patience and support as we work toward making The Elder Scroll Online the best game it can be!
    Jessica Folsom
    Community Manager (English) - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | Support
    July 2014
    Staff Post

13Insightful Agree 13Awesome Quote Report
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was the new combat visual effects change designed to help performance? @ZOS_BrianWheeler
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigh. Still getting delays and latency issues during prime time when vivec NA servers are loaded...
    Edited by LegacyDM on August 23, 2017 7:19PM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have to say I was one of the lucky few who didn't experience lag until Horns of the Reach (and I have been here since 2014). Is this due to changes on the server or did the changes impact the performance of my PC. *sigh* the chicken/egg scenario

@ZOS_BrianWheeler
    @ElizabethInTamriel
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say I was one of the lucky few who didn't experience lag until Horns of the Reach (and I have been here since 2014). Is this due to changes on the server or did the changes impact the performance of my PC. *sigh* the chicken/egg scenario

@ZOS_BrianWheeler

I'd say the server. Theoretically, it should have increased FPS performance on your PC due to decrease in the number of visual effects being processed with the HOTR update.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
  • mook-eb16_ESO
    mook-eb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    performance is worse this patch worse for me than morrowind. Played tonight eu pc vivec performance is atrocious to many zergs, aoe blobs huge lags please review. cyrodiil, is a getting far to long in the tooth zos needs to limit/restrict players in zones as its pointless playing with 5 seconds latency. just gate the all the mile gates bridges and make them only passable one way dc can pass into ep territory ep defend, ep can pass into ad territory ad defend, ad can pass into dc terriority dc defend . add other mechanisms to switch passable direction of gates what happens when keeps are taken. gates would make 3 fighting zones, distributes fight around the map makes them more even. better campaign performance. . zos should have been trying stuff like this out ages ago. where's the creativity in solving the lag problems using other means.
  • pzschrek
    pzschrek
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^Agreed. I thought it was just me, but I brought it up in guild discord last night, "Is it just me, or did this get even laggier after the patch?" and was met with a chorus of affirmative answers.
    “The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
  • montiferus
    montiferus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox has been a mess for a while. With the reduced population in game I find it baffling how this game still has performance issues after this many years.

If they could spent one cycle working on performance improvements and NOT a new DLC the community would greatly appreciate it.
  • Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i7-6700k - OC
    GTX 1080 - OC
    32gb ram - OC
    All water cooled
    gigabit fiber connection

This is by far the worst update as far as performance goes in a very long time
    Formerly @Persian_Princess .. Now @Asgari
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Ariana Kishi | DK | True Liberator of Haderus
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
    Youtube: Asgari
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Brian and ZOS for the continued work. As someone who works on software and servers myself I know how hard it can be to track these kind of problems down to the root cause.

Good luck!
    Edited by Defilted on August 25, 2017 1:09PM
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Rasimir
    Rasimir
    ✭✭✭
    The Horns update definiely made things worse. I wrote about my observations some time ago, but I'll try again:

There are several problems, maybe unrelated, that lead to lags and disconnects.

- the first kind happens when pings go up, and framerates stay at an acceptable value (on my machine in the 70-100 range). This quite often leads to a disconnect, when every other player stops moving and your char can still walk around for a while. Looking at my router in such a situation shows two subtypes:
    - bandwith is ok at my side, the connection problems must be somewhere down the route to the servers or at the servers themselves,
    - or (and this kind i can force to happen) someone is using up my bandwith (moste likely all the kinds watching videos on youtube). ESO reacts very poorly to some lost packages or to timeouts. It should be noticed that other games don't have these recovery problems in such a situation. They slow down when my bandwidth is used up, but don't crash.

- another kind happens when framerates go down and latency stays acceptable. This one is client side, and can be solved with better graphics cards. Since I switched to a GTX1060, I can still play at about 25fps when others in team chat already stand still or see slide shows. It still is related to things happening ingame, groups usually see the same lags.

- third are loading screen lags. These can last for minutes, and it is hard to guess what the game is doing. Sometimes you can continue playing afterwards, sometimes you will be back at login. Most of the time you'll need several attempts to login, errors telling you to check your connection (funny, while we are talking on teamspeak...).

All kinds are somehow related to groups. The larger the group is the more lag you get. Leaving a group doesn't help most of the time, you have to relog to get rid of lags for a while. I am a systems architect and have a lot of experience in networking applications, and my guess would be there are problems in cleaning up after someone leaves a group, and more problems in the messaging that happens in groups (aka what gets send to every group member).
  • Krayzie
    Krayzie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox, unplayable during prime time and majority of day.

Homestead patch seemed to fix load screens but broke most animations and of course increased lag.

Morrowind further increased lag and latency to unplayability throughout the day, can only PVP after midnight.

Last Mondays 'maintenance', infinite load screens are back with a vengeance, and Cyrodiil 100% unplayable throughout day.

WHY HAVE WEEKLY MAINTENANCE IF NOTHING IS EVER FIXED

Posted in bugs for Xbox that it's been unplayable in Cyrodiil since last maintenance and some idiot ZoS staff member basically told me to reset my router lul
    I'm a PVE roleplayer concerned about my vampires stage 4 skin tone and keep getting load screens so I came here to distract people from major issues with a rant thread about my characters cosmetic appearance.
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My game performance has gone down quite a bit as well in HOTR patch as well. If there is action at Chalman during primetime I have to stay away from it or I will disconnect. Fighting 1 guy at dclaw during NA primetime feels like I might as well be battling a zerg for how bad the skill delay is.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if normal or not but Vivec is laggggyyyy

Used to play other campaigns but they are either empty or zerged down by 300 players against 2, went to vivec to see what the fuss was about.... well lag was there alright :-D
  • Waseem
    Waseem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they revert this anti botting ***, i dont even understand, the game is full of bots today!! 50vs50 or 100 vs 50 is the reason i purchased this game at the beginning, i did not purchase it to have 20vs20 fights and 10 minutes load screens
    PC EU

• Waseem
    Waseem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And open another non cp campaign at pc eu!!! Its much better to play on 150ping than on 700
    PC EU

• Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Drummerx04 wrote: »
    My game performance has gone down quite a bit as well in HOTR patch as well. If there is action at Chalman during primetime I have to stay away from it or I will disconnect. Fighting 1 guy at dclaw during NA primetime feels like I might as well be battling a zerg for how bad the skill delay is.

My disconnects started with Morrowind.

I too disconnect when approaching heavily contested locations such as chalman.

If I am already at location and wander outside of area and then back in, I will disconnect.

If I rez at a camp and try to re-enter the battle, I disconnect.

Basically if I am in the heavily contested area, I have to stay within the area. I cannot use the camp; I cannot wander far from the opened outer door to engage defenders.

It's beyond annoying.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • randomkeyhits
    randomkeyhits
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me the more players in local, the more problems I get.

teleport to an empty-ish keep, very fast, very short loading screens
    teleport to a busy location and long loading screen times are very common

same when charging around overland, when riding to an empty-ish keep its rare that I notice anything at all.

When charging towards a big fight, chance of crashing on or near arriving, chance of extra loading screens and then chance of low frame rate/laggy graphics the last sort of expected if there is a lot happening on screen.

One of the most annoying one is when the client seems to de-synch from the servers and everyone around you is frozen, sometimes it recovers, sometimes not and you are thrown out of the game. Happens when my ISP forces a new IP onto my DSL modem but will also happen at other random times (connection is fine)
    EU PS4
  • BllyDnsr
    BllyDnsr
    ✭✭✭
    I know that I'll probably get told this is not a problem but been PvPing on XB NA since almost the beginning and have to say that I believe the lag spikes and DCs have become worse since they changed AP accrual to be a flat rate. Now, there's no reason to not travel in zergs of 50+ (as before, you had to share the AP ticks). If all three factions are fighting at a keep, all bringing 50+ players into the area, all with the servers checking on AoE caps, etc., the lag becomes ridiculous. Sometimes, it takes about 3-5 right trigger clicks to even fire a ballista. But, here's something that's interesting, if a group shows up with 50+ players and there's a smaller group with half that amount, it seems that the smaller group is the one affected by the lag, has anyone else noticed that?

@ZOS_BrianWheeler
    Guildmaster of Obsidian Covenant.
  • Kilandros
    Kilandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Performance is still awful. Care to comment @ZOS_BrianWheeler ?
    Invictus
    Kilandros - Dragonknight / Grand Overlord
    Deimos - Templar / Grand Warlord
    Sias - Sorcerer / Prefect
    Short answer is DKs likely won't be seeing a ton of changes before we go live; this class is still quite powerful (as it should be being a tank), even after some of the adjustments we've made to other classes and abilities.

DK IS NOT JUST A TANK CLASS. #PLAYTHEWAYYOUWANT
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_MattFiror

I thought you said at the yearly address that fixing performance was top priority? Its September and performance on Vivec was awful during prime time this past weekend. In addition this thread has been unstickied. What's up boss? Pulling another smoke and mirrors?
    Edited by LegacyDM on September 25, 2017 5:46PM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Two friends of mine outright could not play all through HotR. Their performance was unplayable.
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC's original dueling and PvP community guild
    Now NA/PC's dueling, BGs, small scale, GvG, and general PvP community. We float just under 500 members. Mail me in game for an invite.

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've been talking about server performance for literally years. If they could have improved it, they would have by now.

There comes a point where you have to face reality, the game performance is what it is if you are banking on it getting better there really isnt anything anyone can say to you, you clearly dont get it.

ITS NOT GOING TO GET BETTER.
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What's the word on the streets @ZOS_BrianWheeler ?
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_BrianWheeler

Update on this. I reset my PC OS and now the lag is gone. YAY ME!
    @ElizabethInTamriel
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • AnviOfVai
    AnviOfVai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was on PS4 EU last night in vivic and luckily I did not have to wait anytime to get in and start playing. When I was in however...the amount of people on all sides of factions is shocking! I was surprised that the servers were still up and running, pretty sure everyone was having the same issues because we were all running at each other and not hitting anyone, at one point my game totally froze, I did not lag out, or get the Cyrodiil loading screen. It just froze... I had to restart the game after leaving it 5 minutes to see if it would return.

Decided to access another Campaign and they are pretty much empty... I think leveling out how many players in a campaign could help, it is very unbalanced (kinda like the rest of the game lol) So many zergs, the best thing to do is stick on area attacks instead of single ones and just bash your way through the people...
    "I appear at my lord's behest, or perhaps I was always here, and you merely lacked the ability to see me."

PS4 - EU

AD - Pet Sorcerer - Damage Dealer - 160
    DC - Warden - Werewolf - in - progress - 160
    DC - Templar - Tank - 160
    DC - Sorcerer - Damage Dealer - in - progress
    EP - Dragon Knight -Fire Tank - 160
    EP - Nightblade - Damage Dealer - 160

• LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lag is horrible right now as we speak between nikel and ash on PC NA VIVEC. Come on ZOS get your stuff together...I'm in north american and getting 270+ ping. Skills are having a 1-2 sec delay time.
    Edited by LegacyDM on October 10, 2017 12:45AM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    How come my Dizzy Swing tooltip does not increase the cast time due to game condidtions? The skill has like a legit 5 second cast right now on PC-NA.