The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Upcoming siege changes in next major update

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Siege has always been my favorite part of PvP. Personally I prefer a third Alliance War skill line that gives the kinds of buffs listed (and making each AW skill line mutually exclusive), but it will be interesting to see how this pans out nonetheless. Scaling (does less damage to fewer targets/increased damage to more targets) would be useful with these changes, along the lines of an inverted AoE cap but with different break points to take into account the impact radius (first 2 players =50% damage, next 2 = 75%, everything after the first 4 up to any max cap = 100% damage).
    Edited by tinythinker on November 30, 2015 4:29PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify, the DOT on Flame Trebs and Flame Ballista can still be purged....for now.

So it's just the healing debuff? That seems a little sane.

Is it just the purge ability which doesn't remove this or all effects which would remove a debuff?
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    Siege will still travel at it's current speed.
    Wheeler
    ESO PVP Lead & Combat Lead
    Staff Post
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Damage across the board for all siege weapons has been increased roughly 30%, but we are considering increasing that more.
    • Snares have been normalized on all siege weapons that apply that debuff (ice treb, lightning ballista, oil catapult) to be a 50% snare, and last 6 seconds.
    • All side effects from siege weapons (snare, healing taken reduction, siege damage increase taken) are no longer purgable.
    • Oil Catapults will now also have a "Stamina damage" value added, which takes away roughly 5000 Stamina from enemy targets.
    • Lightning Ballista will now also have a "Magicka Damage" value added, which takes away roughly 5000 Magicka from enemy targets.
    • Ballista now turn faster and have their "scatter" variable removed, making them 100% accurate to your aimed location.
    • Scattershot now adds 20% damage taken from other siege weapons instead of 10%

thats gona hurt, and its gona leave a mark.
    this is serious, i hope im not on the recieving end, because, man thats gona leave alot of people dead.
  • blur
    blur
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey gang!

In the next major update we'll be adjusting damage and other effects from siege weapons. This will go in conjunction with other changes regarding repair kits and keep upgrades, but the changes noted here are specific to players effects (damage, snares, dots, etc.).

These changes are currently being tested internally and may change before they go to PTS/Live:
    • Damage across the board for all siege weapons has been increased roughly 30%, but we are considering increasing that more.
    • Snares have been normalized on all siege weapons that apply that debuff (ice treb, lightning ballista, oil catapult) to be a 50% snare, and last 6 seconds.
    • All side effects from siege weapons (snare, healing taken reduction, siege damage increase taken) are no longer purgable.
    • Oil Catapults will now also have a "Stamina damage" value added, which takes away roughly 5000 Stamina from enemy targets.
    • Lightning Ballista will now also have a "Magicka Damage" value added, which takes away roughly 5000 Magicka from enemy targets.

@ZOS_BrianWheeler
    1139646765272.gif

Have you considered what the lag is going to be like? I mean currently on live it's pretty bad and it's just zerg vs zerg with a serious lack of siege. I am wondering if it will be worse with a lot of siege added. This change sounds epic, just worried it will cause even more lag, after all, you would be a fool not to bring siege after this change.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler

"Purgable" is a bit misleading? Purge is one skill, but there are multiple skills that remove negative effects like purifying ritual and dark cloak. Does the change apply to all skills that remove negative effects or just the alliance war skill purge?
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler

"Purgable" is a bit misleading? Purge is one skill, but there are multiple skills that remove negative effects like purifying ritual and dark cloak. Does the change apply to all skills that remove negative effects or just the alliance war skill purge?
    Good question but it seems to imply any cleansing ability. If not my Templar will be more popular than ever. (Which still isn't much, but woohoo for the tiny boost!)
    Edited by tinythinker on November 30, 2015 4:23PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanct16 wrote: »
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler
    Why do you hate small groups so much? This will make it even harder for groups that arent 24 man raids. You should promote smaller groups, not destroy them.

Remember from it's original design the main aspect of Cyrodiil PvP is about keep battles with hundreds of players. Siege weapons should be balanced around large scale battles for keeps because that's when they're seen most.

Small gang PvP shouldn't be based around keeps but have other areas where it flourishes. Sandbox PvP (which Cyrodiil emulates) is about each group and style finding its place within the sandbox and playing with the tools the developers give them in the most effective way. ZOS shouldn't have a stance one way or the other on which style of gameplay should be played.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ffastyl wrote: »
    Awesome
    Awesome
    Awesome

Great changes!
    As long as siege is still slow (and therefore easily avoidable) the concerns above are unfounded.

Concern is for running siege equipment. It's not particularly easy to get out of the way while using them and having a guard to heal / purge / shield is no longer going to protect against enemy siege.

A flat rate can't purge is an overreaction imo. Assigning values to purge and purgable effects would be better. Have each siege effect count as 2 or 3 effects would be adequate. But we will see how this plays out. Should make things interesting
  • Jhunn
    Jhunn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

Remember from it's original design the main aspect of Cyrodiil PvP is about keep battles with hundreds of players. Siege weapons should be balanced around large scale battles for keeps because that's when they're seen most.

Small gang PvP shouldn't be based around keeps but have other areas where it flourishes. Sandbox PvP (which Cyrodiil emulates) is about each group and style finding its place within the sandbox and playing with the tools the developers give them in the most effective way. ZOS shouldn't have a stance one way or the other on which style of gameplay should be played.
    This 'large scale battle' argument again.

Really?
    Gave up.
  • vortexman11
    vortexman11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dayum.

I foresee many oil catapults in the future... Seriously... 5 oil catapults aimed at a breach with some oil pots up top = GG.... Instant loss of 25,000 stamina...unpurgable snare and no hope of rolling out.

Too be honest... I would of much preferred ground oils
    Edited by vortexman11 on November 30, 2015 4:33PM
    Guild of Shadows ~Elite~
    Învictus ~Council~

EP | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 50 | Former Emperor of Haderus & Chillrend |
    EP | Phobos | Altmer Nightblade | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Cheezus Sliced | Argonian Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 30 |
    EP | Eterno Tempesta | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 33 |
    DC | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 12 |
    DC | Divine Storm | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 04 |
    EP | Pocket Vortex | Bosmer Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 24 |
    EP | Vortexman | Redguard DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 28 |
    EP | Fungal Growth | Argonian Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Eternal Guardian | Bosmer Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 13 |
    and a few other random toons

Teaching by example > https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5479085#Comment_5479085
  • Nafirian
    Nafirian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler
    Why do you hate small groups so much? This will make it even harder for groups that arent 24 man raids. You should promote smaller groups, not destroy them.

Spoken like a true zergling
    0mKXcg1.gif
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler

Yeah that's why small-scale objectives like raiding caravans would be nice to add into the game.

• ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    Anything that removes a "negative" effect is considered a purge, so not just the "Purge" abliity as you noted.
    Wheeler
    ESO PVP Lead & Combat Lead
    Staff Post
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you considered what the lag is going to be like? I mean currently on live it's pretty bad and it's just zerg vs zerg with a serious lack of siege. I am wondering if it will be worse with a lot of siege added. This change sounds epic, just worried it will cause even more lag, after all, you would be a fool not to bring siege after this change.

Considering siege was this effective in a past build (that I played through), the lag should be a little less since groups are either running or dying when under siege fire. Either way, the zergs aren't spamming abilities. Except Rapid Maneuvers, perhaps.

Will people set up siege in open fields to bombard an oncoming zerg? Indubitably! Will that siege get overrun because its a stationary object in the middle of a field? Invariably!
    Battles feel more warlike when there's actual siege fire shooting everywhere, ups the scale without actually upping the player count.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • azoriangaming
    azoriangaming
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler

you'd say that running 24+ group all the time lmao
  • WebBull
    WebBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DoT's should NOT be purgable. Otherwise just remove the DoT from siege completely and make the damage higher.
  • ThyIronFist
    ThyIronFist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this cant be real

jX5iCjo.jpg
    The Elder Zergs Online
    Sainur Ironfist - DK - EU - Ebonheart Pact
    Retired
  • Deltia
    Deltia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these are interesting changes that need to be tested prior to implementation. Lowbie PvP the only way to really kill a large group is with siege or pure numbers. If you want to "counter zerg" maybe this will help. Image snaring a group of 24, healing debuff, and zapping their magic. That large group is much easier to fight with less healing and healers with zero magicka.I've been on both sides of the zerg and I hope we get on the PTS to test this concept.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einsten

If we, as community, wish to disincentives zergs, ZOS must try something different, anything really. Is this the fix? I don't know, but it's worthy pursing different options.
    In-game @deltiasgaming | deltiasgaming.com for Elder Scrolls Online [ESO / TESO] Guides
    "It's a good day to be alive"
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm gob smacked! Why are you wasting time and money on this? We're asking for fixes on PvP (players vs players, class balance, the AoE caps, zerging). Not the stuff that knocks walls down, they already do a really, really good job at that.

PC EU
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything that removes a "negative" effect is considered a purge, so not just the "Purge" abliity as you noted.

Will abilities like Forward Momentum and Shuffle, which grant snare/root immunity, block and/or remove the snares from siege?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huge thread about siege weapons lack of threat against players, they finally make some changes to make it something you really want to avoid again and people still complain. Can't win. Why not wait and test it out before complaining?
  • bowmanz607
    bowmanz607
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey gang!

In the next major update we'll be adjusting damage and other effects from siege weapons. This will go in conjunction with other changes regarding repair kits and keep upgrades, but the changes noted here are specific to players effects (damage, snares, dots, etc.).

These changes are currently being tested internally and may change before they go to PTS/Live:
    • Ballista now turn faster and have their "scatter" variable removed, making them 100% accurate to your aimed location.
    • Scattershot now adds 20% damage taken from other siege weapons instead of 10%

Thanks for any feedback regarding these changes and again, these may or may not go up to PTS/Live exactly as stated here, but this is what we're currently testing =)

this 100% needs to be implemented. I cant wait to test it out. This will not only make siege amazing but also break up those zergs. This also makes a few seige being used by a well trained small group able to get an advantage over larger groups.
    One question though. Are the DOTs purgeable? @ZOS_BrianWheeler

Edited by bowmanz607 on November 30, 2015 4:32PM
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I thought little groups were not (less)stacking than zergs so they should be able to avoid siege while zergs will get snared and all ? not sure how you can say categorically it's bad for small scale.
    Edited by Sotha_Sil on November 30, 2015 4:31PM
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this cant be real

jX5iCjo.jpg

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    omg that zenimax developer is halarious.
    whats his forum account name and why does he never speak here? too funny!
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jhunn wrote: »

This 'large scale battle' argument again.

Really?

This small group argument again?
  • Corpsage
    Corpsage
    ✭✭✭
    I also think this is a great change coming to the game. Small groups are going to start raining HELL down on you Zerglings with Coldfire, Stuns, Debuffs, and then drain all your resources. <3 dat guerilla lyfe doe.
    Corpsage The Blackened - V16 Altmer Templar DC
    Corpsage The Bane - V16 Imperial Templar DC
    Corpsage The Decimator - V16 Dunmer Night Blade DC
    Corpse Guevara - 32 Dunmer Dragon Knight DC
    Corpsage The Iniquitous - 27 Orc Night Blade DC
    The Lord Corpsage - 5 Altmer Sorcerer DC
    We are the many who is One
  • sirinsidiator
    sirinsidiator
    ✭✭✭✭
    Remember the last time siege weapons got a buff? People whined so hard and after a few days they learned to dodge and everything was fine again.
    I am looking forward to this changes. It will shake up the gameplay and make pvp interesting if only for a while.
    https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/ - My Addons - The Vault (Early updates and experimental projects) - My patreon - My blog
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info. I would reconsider that distinction. The alliance war purge is an easy button aoe spammable negative effect remover. Dark cloak is single target and purifying ritual requires a synergy for it to work on other players and synergy already has a cool down.

The specific problem is the alliance war purge. Rather than the scattershot approach, just fix the specific problem which is purge.
    Edited by timidobserver on November 30, 2015 4:34PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• WebBull
    WebBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gob smacked! Why are you wasting time and money on this? We're asking for fixes on PvP (players vs players, class balance, the AoE caps, zerging). Not the stuff that knocks walls down, they already do a really, really good job at that.

Most of the PvP community has been asking for stronger siege. How purge works is the issue here. IMO the two key things that purge should NOT remove are snare and DoT. This will allow smaller groups to be more effective.
    Edited by WebBull on November 30, 2015 4:33PM