Experience Point Boosters

• Darklord_Tiberius
    Darklord_Tiberius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bouvin wrote: »
    Experience Boosters for CP is Pay-2-Win.

Plain and Simple.

I called this when the B2P announcement was made and people said I was a fool for saying so. But just a short couple of months, here we are with boosters for CP available in the Crown Shop.

And as far as the Ambrosia goes.. my bet is the ingredients are so rare that it won't really matter.

lol that's not pay to win

You want to try a pay to win game, stronghold kingdoms and game of war are just a few. Those are real pay to wins.

You can craft these XP potions, which are better; hence not pay to win.

You argument about the mats being so "rare" they wont be worth it is irrelevant.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Rude and Insulting comments]
    Edited by ZOS_Racheal on June 12, 2015 7:12PM
  • Celas_Dranacea
    Celas_Dranacea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varicite - fair enough points

For a person like me, the "free" scrolls I can purchase using my eso+ crowns each month will put me ahead for some time. Anyone hoping to boost their exp for more than 20 hours a month is going to have a to pay a lot of in game gold or real money, and I think there's a big population of players out there who won't bother with that.

I like the a previous poster had about having a cooldown for these. I would vote for limiting it to 2-4 per day.
    A Bosmer Nightblade Werewolf
  • Darklord_Tiberius
    Darklord_Tiberius
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have millions of gold from selling motifs last summer, its about time they give us something to spend that gold on in game whether its on the potion itself or on the mats for me to craft myself. Whining in the forums about how unfair it is because people have money, whether in game or real life, to spend on these is pathetic. This is an MMO, dont be lazy and learn how to play an MMO. I made millions of gold in WOW over my 5 years playing it because I knew how to play the AH. I made millions of gold in this game because I played the guild stores; which I find better actually.

This is a simple matter of some players in the community being lazy about the crafting XP potion making excuses because they are either to poor to buy them or to lazy to go grind the mats. The MMO community is getting more "babyfied" by the year. Most of you would have never survived in an MMO ten years ago lol.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who thinks this is a catch up mechanic for casual or new players instead of a substantial speed boost for the most hardcore to race ahead and destroy any hint of fair competition in the game is deluding themselves.

Pretty much sums it up.

You can pay to maybe keep up w/ some casuals or you can not pay and be left WAY behind, but you are definitely not going to be "catching up" to anyone.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I dont understand why what someone else does matters to you. CP alone does not equate to skill. I also like how everyone assumes these "hardcore" players have unlimited money to spend $1000s a month on these potions so as to have them up 24/7 365 days a year. Personally I dont care what other people do. I play this for me.
  • KyyuU
    KyyuU
    ✭✭✭
    I dont understand why what someone else does matters to you. CP alone does not equate to skill. I also like how everyone assumes these "hardcore" players have unlimited money to spend $1000s a month on these potions so as to have them up 24/7 365 days a year. Personally I dont care what other people do. I play this for me.

U have no Idea how much effect Championpoints have on ur toon This exp Pot is a deadly Strike for the community who wanna play competitiv nothing more.

and if u dont care fine than u dont other people do
    Edited by KyyuU on June 12, 2015 4:55PM
    Beyond Infinity EU DE
    Hel Ra / AA Harmode: Clear
    Sanctum Ophidia Clear Hardmode: Clear
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KyyuU wrote: »
    U have no Idea how much effect Championpoints have on ur toon This exp Pot is a deadly Strike for the community who wanna play competitiv nothing more.

Please explain, because I don't understand.
    CPs matter, skills matter at least as much as CPs.
    The first 200/300 CPs give your toon a LOT of boost, after which it is not really significant anymore. These CPs are just there to give us some sort of artificial sense of "progression".

Now what do you call "competitive" ?
    People who have restricted time to play will complain that players with 100h/week are an unfair competition.
    People who don't use the crown store for XP potions will complain that players who have the financial means to do so are an unfair competition.
    People who don't have time can spend money to catch up (ingame and/or real money), people who don't have money / gold can spend more time.
    And yes some people "have it all" and will do both and yes they will have an advantage no matter what you or ZOS does. They'd have an advantage without crown store too. That's how life is. And some people have neither time nor money. They cannot compete for top leaderboards BUT nothing prevents them from enjoying the game and playing it at their level, which doesn't have to be bad at all. Just maybe not sufficient for the top 20 leaderboards (no big deal).

Do you want to remove all kind of "competition" from the game and also any "progression", so that everybody is "equal" ? But then people will complain about the lack of said "progression". And probably get bored.

So please explain what, in your opinion, would be a "fair competition" under realistic terms for ESO.

In my humble opinion what ZOS is offering is a well-thought balance for most people.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on June 12, 2015 5:07PM
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Ive played this game since before it came out. I have maxxed out all my characters. Dont tell me I dont know how CP affects your character. I could use a character with little CP and dominate any of your characters in pvp. I dont care how many CP you have you cannot replace raw talent and knowing how to play your character. Period.

if you can be beaten by someone who doesnt know how to play simply because they have more cp then you then you need to practice.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I don't understand is this ridiculous idea that people who have a huge amount of CPs don't also have the "skills" to leverage their higher damage, defenses, and other bonuses.

...or that those who are newer to the game and don't have quite as many CPs suddenly won't have the "skills" to use the CPs they earned through using XP potions.

This game really isn't that hard.

/shrug
  • Deltia
    Deltia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really really really (really really) don't like this.

Please reconsider this because of Champion Points.

Or...make a cap on CP during seasons. Let's say first three months of year, you can only earn 100 or something. Otherwise this could ruin the game, especially PvP if people spam potions all day.

Please reconsider.
    In-game @deltiasgaming | deltiasgaming.com for Elder Scrolls Online [ESO / TESO] Guides
    "It's a good day to be alive"
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Varicite wrote: »
    What I don't understand is this ridiculous idea that people who have a huge amount of CPs don't also have the "skills" to leverage their higher damage, defenses, and other bonuses.

...or that those who are newer to the game and don't have quite as many CPs suddenly won't have the "skills" to use the CPs they earned through using XP potions.

/shrug

If it isnt hard then what are you complaining about? You dont need CP to compete. Yes the first 300 do give you quite a bit but after that alot of the stuff I dont even understand. Like picking a chest faster is going to make you better on the leaderboards? My opinion when I first saw the stuff you get after the 300 or so points is "Why would I even want any of this?". Most of it is stuff I would never have a use for. I already can pick master chests like its nothing. A little extra gold? I already have more gold than I will ever need.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

/shrug

It does'nt matter so much if the game is "easy" or "difficult" or whatever inbetween : some people will be better at it than other, just like for anything else in life.
    We often "compare" each other with a fellow guildie who has quite the same build as my main character (a magicka sorc dps with destro staff - pretty standard). Even if we wear the same gear and use the same skill bars, and have our skill points in the same passives, in general he pulls more dps than I do and also dies less. Even though he has about 30 CPs less than me.

Because he reacts more quickly than I do, has a better and quicker understanding of any given fight than I have, because he dodges and blocks more appropriately and quickly, because he has a better 3D sense of positioning, and so on. So yes, aptitude, talent and practice do matter a lot in this game - that's what makes it a good game.

But yes I agree, some people can have both many CPs and talent. But I'm ready to bet that talent matters more than CPs in their good results.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on June 12, 2015 5:37PM
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dislike that this works with champion points. I would like this to be restricted to leveling only, adding it to the champion system boosts makes me feel like I'm wasting it when I'm not using it on a veteran and when I'm not doing it on a grinding spot.
    Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
  • BrightnessSyl
    BrightnessSyl
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion and a good 200 people watching in stream, it's a terrible idea. Please do not add XP boosters! This will push more people away than bring them in. I don't play WoW, Starwars, Archeage or GW for this exact reason. Make Mara give a little more xp or hitting a certain milestone gives you 48 hours of 10 to 20 % XP. Let's do something different than the other MMO'S. Please please know that your community loves you and we want this game to succeed.
    ~Pinky
    twitch.tv/pinklleesi
    @pinkleesi
  • KyyuU
    KyyuU
    ✭✭✭

Please explain, because I don't understand.
    CPs matter, skills matter at least as much as CPs.
    The first 200/300 CPs give your toon a LOT of boost, after which it is not really significant anymore. These CPs are just there to give us some sort of artificial sense of "progression".

Now what do you call "competitive" ?
    People who have restricted time to play will complain that players with 100h/week are an unfair competition.
    People who don't use the crown store for XP potions will complain that players who have the financial means to do so are an unfair competition.
    People who don't have time can spend money to catch up (ingame and/or real money), people who don't have money / gold can spend more time.
    And yes some people "have it all" and will do both and yes they will have an advantage no matter what you or ZOS does. They'd have an advantage without crown store too. That's how life is. And some people have neither time nor money. They cannot compete for top leaderboards BUT nothing prevents them from enjoying the game and playing it at their level, which doesn't have to be bad at all. Just maybe not sufficient for the top 20 leaderboards (no big deal).

Do you want to remove all kind of "competition" from the game and also any "progression", so that everybody is "equal" ? But then people will complain about the lack of said "progression". And probably get bored.

So please explain what, in your opinion, would be a "fair competition" under realistic terms for ESO.

In my humble opinion what ZOS is offering is a well-thought balance for most people.

A Item like exp-Booster is not really friendly for new player to catch up

- It supports the endless Grind
    - its incrase the different between casuals and players with alot of time
    - New Player will be forced to buy/craft it to play on a "good level" and still needs month with trying to catch up

There are many possibilitys to help new players become competitive but NO Zenimax decides to put up a Booster in the game so lets the grind beginn... really than i also can play any asia grind mmo.

Why Zenimax dont bring Catch up mechanics in the game who benefits new players without giving old players the oppurtunity to abuse the system and destroy a entire aspect for much players

suggestion for Catch up systems

-double enlightment for everyone with less than xxx Championpoints
    -Championpoints need less exp till xxx Championpoints
    -individual exp for Championlevel as example a player with 400 Championpoint get for a npc kill 400 exp
    another player with 300 Championpoint get for the same npc 500 exp everytime when new content comes out u can adjust the exp it also helps to balance the Content and u still make progress with ur toon.

There are many more ways to put up catch mechanics in the game without letting players abuse the system. sorry for my english
    Beyond Infinity EU DE
    Hel Ra / AA Harmode: Clear
    Sanctum Ophidia Clear Hardmode: Clear
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really think XP potions are needed or a good thing, but I am not entirely opposed to them either.

HOWEVER
    1. The crafted potions should be better than the crown potions. In duration and amount of boost.
    2. With the XP boosts already available from other means (Plus Membership, mara), these potions offer too much boost and they should be turned down to 10 or 20%.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • codybrewer78b14_ESO
    It effects Champion Points?!?! Really?!?! Pay to win, just like they said they wouldn't do. How do you manage to kill the game right after you release it on console?! Guess there isn't any room in games like this for the casual player. It's always about maxing everything out so you can prove how much of a bad ass you are to everyone. Hope you start dropping new content like crazy cause the maxed out CP players are gonna get real bored real quick!!
  • pecheckler
    pecheckler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the recipe requires purple ingredients than these things are totally pay2win.
    End the tedious inventory management game.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion and a good 200 people watching in stream, it's a terrible idea. Please do not add XP boosters! This will push more people away than bring them in. I don't play WoW, Starwars, Archeage or GW for this exact reason. Make Mara give a little more xp or hitting a certain milestone gives you 48 hours of 10 to 20 % XP. Let's do something different than the other MMO'S. Please please know that your community loves you and we want this game to succeed.

Dare to explain why you think it's a terrible idea that will push people away ?

And why do you recommend to boost the ring of Mara ? It's an XP booster in the very exact same way as potions and food/drinks...

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on June 12, 2015 5:57PM
  • Psychotius
    Psychotius
    ✭✭✭
    Is this real life? Now I have to consider possibly having to buy more crowns until such a time that I can have a nice stock of the ingredients needed to craft the drink, much less the recipe. I have to consider this so I can hope to still be at least marginally relevant in PVP; because I already admit that I'll never be a PVP elite, but I could at least be relevant.

So, my choice is to spend money that I don't really have, pray to whoever that I can come across the recipe and ingredients very early on in the release, or quit the game since I am already behind on Champion Points and now see myself falling drastically behind. I absolutely love this game, but how is it that I find myself forming these kinds of choices to decide on?

This needs a course change quickly, experience boosters are fine but Champion Points... Really? Hopefully I am having a knee jerk reaction and this is not the travesty that I am so worried about right now. Otherwise, I just don't know what to think now.
    I'm not as am as you drunk I think.
  • Efaritay
    Efaritay
    ✭✭✭
    These will only make sense if they were for alt characters only.

This is just giving people with money an advantage.

They should only be available for people with a V14 Character and should not count towards Champion Points.

This is the only feasible option in my opinion.
    "Don't tickle the Dragon if you can't take the heat"

EU ¦ EP
    Project Nova

Efaritay ¦ Breton ¦ Sorcerer - Calloniel ¦ Redguard ¦ Templar
    Arrow Rain ¦ Bosmer ¦ Nightblade - Breath of Life ¦ Breton ¦ Templar
    Taunts-with-Spoons ¦ Argonian ¦ Dragonknight - Kipp's Secret Lover ¦ Redguard ¦ Sorcerer
    Vrixaura ¦ Breton ¦ Nightblade - Miss Snuffles ¦ Khajiit ¦ Nightblade - Effy ¦ Dunmer ¦ Dragonknight
    Deadric Lord Slayer ¦ Monster Hunter ¦ Tamriel Hero ¦ Savior of Nirn ¦ Enemy of Coldharbour ¦ Explorer ¦ Hero of Wrothgar ¦ Master Theif
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

/shrug

If it isnt hard then what are you complaining about? You dont need CP to compete. Yes the first 300 do give you quite a bit but after that alot of the stuff I dont even understand. Like picking a chest faster is going to make you better on the leaderboards? My opinion when I first saw the stuff you get after the 300 or so points is "Why would I even want any of this?". Most of it is stuff I would never have a use for. I already can pick master chests like its nothing. A little extra gold? I already have more gold than I will ever need.

While the game itself isn't hard, the endgame is actually competition against other players, not whether you can beat a mob or finish a quest.

In such a competition, it's generally accepted that there is a somewhat level playing field. While in ESO, the playing field isn't exactly level, it's an acceptable amount of variance because all players have always been subject to gaining strength at roughly around the same rates. That will no longer be the case.

The endgame is 100% set around leaderboards, which also denote that there is a relatively even playing field among players, otherwise the leaderboards themselves become completely meaningless. The PvE leaderboards were recently changed to basically be 100% based on how fast you can beat a Trial, which is in turn 100% based on your groups' overall strength, which is fed by CP.

Certainly, player skill is a factor in these achievements, but it goes almost w/out saying that the groups who are competing for spots on these boards are skilled players. That makes player skill an almost non-factor when compared to actual character boosts such as CP and stats.

It's interesting that you only mention the worst of the non-combat specific bonuses in your post, instead of CP boosts such as Arcane Well (restores 1k magicka to you and allies on kills), Tactician (a great boon in today's roll dodging PvP meta), Ultimate boosts, or Unchained (80% reduced stam cost after Break Free).

Those are all helpful in either PvE or PvP endgame situations, much moreso than anything you've deemed worthy of mention. That's not even taking into account a larger breadth of maxed cost reductions, damage bonuses, resource restorations, resource regenerations, etc that come w/ a higher CP count.

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were trying to downplay the effectiveness of a high CP total as it pertains to character strength in order to strengthen your argument, but that would be silly because you'd have to be completely daft not to make these very simple connections.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HeroOfNone wrote: »
    I dislike that this works with champion points. I would like this to be restricted to leveling only, adding it to the champion system boosts makes me feel like I'm wasting it when I'm not using it on a veteran and when I'm not doing it on a grinding spot.
    It's not so much that they added it to the Champion System, it's that they didn't take the Champion System out of it. Champion points are tied to XP; something that increases XP has to increase CP by definition, unless they adjusted the system in such a way that the "boost" to XP was applied after the "conversion" to CP takes place.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    huh well thats odd ive been playing the "end game" since before CP was even introduced. Ive never once worried about leaderboards etc. I just play to have fun as do 99% of the population of the game.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    huh well thats odd ive been playing the "end game" since before CP was even introduced. Ive never once worried about leaderboards etc. I just play to have fun as do 99% of the population of the game.

And that's fine, but let's not pretend that these don't exist for all players to aspire to.
  • Ajjat
    Ajjat
    Soul Shriven
    This is the first highly questionable MTX I've seen, I guess it all comes down to how realistic it is to actually craft them yourself, as long as it's not outrageously rare/long I guess it wont be as bad as it sounds.
    Joined May 2015
    Looking forward to many exciting adventures!
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The XP boost potion will have impact on the fun of EVERY players, may they be casual, hardcore or middle ground.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

And that's fine, but let's not pretend that these don't exist for all players to aspire to.

And thats fine but dont expect them to focus everything they do on how it will affect less than 5% of the people playing.
    Edited by jamesharv2005ub17_ESO on June 12, 2015 6:45PM
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elloa wrote: »

The XP boost potion will have impact on the fun of EVERY players, may they be casual, hardcore or middle ground.

How?
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Oh, so you think 99% of people playing this multiplayer game do not play it for the competitive aspect, or find fun in it specifically?

Can you state a source for this, or are you just coming up with numbers as you please?
    Edited by DDuke on June 12, 2015 6:47PM