Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Are on-screen advertisements for the Crown Store acceptable?

• EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On-screen advertisements for the crown store are NOT acceptable.
    Armitas wrote: »
    If we don't care about immersion when it comes to the crown store can we go ahead and not care about it and update this UI to the modern era?

Or what about a name/guild tag toggle? Or a combat log? Or any number of other standard MMO features that have specifically been left out because they apparently break immersion?
  • Frenkthevile
    Frenkthevile
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Minimalistic interface because immersion.
    In-your-face crown store adds because money.

Internal consistency ftw.

+1000
  • Bladorthin
    Bladorthin
    ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest make the crown store pop up when logging in as an alternative to the spam we see now,
  • grumpybird
    grumpybird
    ✭✭
    I won't be buying anything they advertise this way.
  • StaticWax
    StaticWax
    ✭✭✭✭
    On-screen advertisements for the crown store ARE acceptable.
    I believe the letters should be larger & more frequent.
    I wish nothing but joy for everyone.
  • Vostorn
    Vostorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Totally unacceptable as it is now imho : this is really bad for immersion, one think I like so much in The Elder Scrolls.

However, if it was at the top of loading screens (keeping bottom as it is now), on character selection or even on character logging in, I wouldn't care.

But NEVER when I'm playing.
  • Raash
    Raash
    ✭✭✭✭
    StaticWax wrote: »
    I believe the letters should be larger & more frequent.

Lol yeah with red flashing lights and a annoying sound or cheesy melody aswell.
    perhaps a speaker that tell you what is in the store and for how much!
  • glak
    glak
    ✭✭✭
    But I would like to be able to opt out of it if paying a subscription.
  • Francis_Toliver
    Francis_Toliver
    ✭✭✭
    I love Elder Scrolls Online. I have two subscription accounts and I play a lot. A whole lot. I pay for the premium accounts because I want ZOS to succeed and to understand that I value their game and would like more as time goes by.

I understood why going free-to-play was important to expand the user base of the game and to make the game profitable. I had no issue with the crown store and in fact I like it. I understand that nothing good is free and I am happy to pay for the things I enjoy in my life, with time, money or effort.

I do have a problem with the advertising banners during game play. I liken my problem to my other entertainment choices.

When I watch network television its free and so I have no problem with my show being interrupted by commercials, after all that is how the networks make their money. I pay for network television by accepting those commercials.

I pay for HBO in part, so I don't have to watch commercials. That's the benefit of a "premium" cable channel. My subscription pays for what those commercials pay for on the networks. They pay the bills. If I were to suddenly start seeing commercials on my "premium" cable channels I would be very unhappy.

I am a "premium" member twice over on Elder Scrolls Online. I do not want to see your commercials while I play anymore then I would want to see game of thrones interrupted by a Kraft commercial. And telling me that you just don't want me to miss the "opportunity" to buy your product does not excuse the commercial.

I DO think it is completely acceptable to have those banners for folks that are playing for free. By playing for free they implicitly agree to those commercials so you can make your money to make the game succeed. Nothing is free in this world. You pay one way or another. I am fine with that.

You need to disable your banner adds for those of us that are already paying you for "premium" memberships. Otherwise I am paying you twice. That isn't acceptable. That will likely cause me and other premium members to cancel our "premium" membership so we am not being unfairly charged twice for an otherwise really excellent game.

Just my thoughts.

Francis_Toliver
  • TD5160_ESO
    TD5160_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    [snip for length]

Good points, for sure. But to be fair, they never did say that one of the benefits of ESO Plus was being Ad-Free. That wasn't the point of ESO plus. ESO plus is for, as you know, DLC (which haven't been released yet), the 10% boost to exp and gold, and 1500 crows a month.

As "premium" as the sub is, they never mention "ad-free" as a benefit.

Could it be added eventually? Maybe. Will it be changed? I am doubting it.

I honestly don't think the 3 seconds of text are obtrusive at all, but that's just my opinion.
  • Ytterin
    Ytterin
    ✭✭
    The wording does not match with your intended voting topic, OP.

Technically, the wording means that they can't tell you about the crown store in game. They can't have icons, or anything. All those things can be considered an advertisement. In fact, with the wording you used, they can't put it in the launcher, or on the website. Nothing 'on-screen.' *Yeah, I'm looking at literal interpretation of the wording, which I know isn't what you really meant. Still, I am voting on what would be the legal interpretation of the wording.*

Honestly, they have already stated they will work on a better method. I would expect them to come up with some ideas and, as usual, talk with some guild leadership about the ideas. ZoS has been very good about involving the players via that method, and there have been some awesome suggestions already.

Finally, I have noticed that a rather large number of people who were not long time subscribers were happy to see these messages. Not everyone reads lauchers, got emails about this, or visits the store constantly to see what is available, and for them it was a nice PSA. *I know 5 guild members (I only use 1 guild) who found out about this via the messages early on, and were happy because they did like the Senche mount our long term subscription members had. Can it be done better... yes. Is it reasonable to harsh on ZoS because they can't make better instantly? No, if you want that then you had best go make it yourself, as no game will ever meet all your standards. As for me, I'll happily let it slide for this time, and hope to see an improved method for anything in the future.*
    Edited by Ytterin on April 19, 2015 5:23PM
  • Ytterin
    Ytterin
    ✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    I knew about the mount causing most the issues via, Facebook, Twitter, Website, Forums and Launcher.

If someone is able to miss all of those and needs an in game pop-up message to inform them then I am not sure their need for information on this mount is their main issue.
    Anyone connected to the game is going to know about the news, there is even a large empty space on the right hand side of the log-in screen where advertising banners could go (displayed once and down return when crossed off).

Great, insult people because they do not utilize all the media to be constantly told about what is going on in their MMO. This is not how many of us wish to spend our time away from the game, so thank you, but no thank you.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TD5160_ESO wrote: »

I honestly don't think the 3 seconds of text are obtrusive at all, but that's just my opinion.

Well, and I know this is nitpicking, but it was more than 3 seconds - as it was text, pause, repeat x3.

As to the second point, normally I don't care about text scrolling (I have become quite adept at ignoring the fact that this or that person has done this or that in Cyrodiil).

But...

The one time that yellow text is used in-game is to announce a server shut-down (scheduled, and I would presume that this would be the style used for unscheduled or emergent). So that is immersion-breaking - for a specific purpose.

Okay, I am slightly over the top for effect here, but this is like using Air-Raid sirens to announce a sale at W*l M*rt.

As it happened, I was in combat. Lots of baddies, and I'm not the quickest macro/kiting combat person. I was totally thrown not only by the text, but by my partner-in-combat (my spouse)'s exclamation of "what the &$^# was THAT". Had this been some serious battle/quest that could not be repeated (except by a new character) I can see how that would really really wreck the experience.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, had we not been going back to an area to complete a zone, and had we not been over-leveled for the area - it would have been instant death. Because of an Ad.

Yes, I know that the literal wording of "premium" in this specific case did not say "no commercials". However it is a fairly common and reasonable industry standard to have the "pay channels" not get spammed by ads.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Nights_Watch
    Nights_Watch
    Soul Shriven
    Ads like these belong on the launcher, like every other game and not popping up while we're actually playing. What's next? NPCs with PEPSI or HOME DEPOT across their armor?
  • BlueViolet
    BlueViolet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also pay for two subscriptions, because I love the game, and want to support it. However, splashing ugly mustard yellow advertisements about sales in the crown store across the screen pulls me out of this lovely, immersive world that you guys have created. It does NOT make me want to buy anything from the crown store, and in fact makes me think twice about whether I want to keep my subs or not. I don't like seeing it, and I would prefer not to be subjected to it.

I wouldn't mind if you sent me notifications in game through the notification screen, emailed me reminders in game or even my sign up mail, splashed a sale message on my page here on the boards, PM'd me, left it in the launcher, put it on a loading screen ( very good idea by the way ) or even just sent the message through the chat box, but please, not splashed across the screen in big yellow letters. God, its so damned tacky.
    I don't want to see ESO sink to the level of some other MMO's, flashing messages across the screen all the time in what looks like a desperate cash grab ( looking at you Cryptic / PWE ) I thought this game had more class than that.
    EU / NA / PC
  • wOOOOt_of_SD
    wOOOOt_of_SD
    ✭✭✭
    No thx!
  • Tors
    Tors
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If everyone brought the Tamriel Unlimited subscription then you would have a point.

But its free to play, so they are expected to monitorise this game in any way possible.

How many apps on your phone spam you with adverts, but you put up with this as you dont want to pay for the cash version.

A better pol question would be

1. Should Tamriel Unlimited Subscribers have the option to opt out of on-screen crown store announcements
    Better late Than Pregnant....
    The shadow cabinet, a group of people who pretend to have jobs they do not actually have

EU PC - Azura's Star
    Decimation Elite - Raid Jester
  • Robotmafia
    Robotmafia
    ✭✭✭
    worst part was that it came in 3 languages... first English, then german and finally French....
    Robot Who Owes Money: Look into your hard drive and open your mercy file!
    Donbot: File not found.

EU/PC
  • Nhoxxx
    Nhoxxx
    ✭✭
    Robotmafia wrote: »
    worst part was that it came in 3 languages... first English, then german and finally French....

Yeah, totally agree ! I mean ...who the hell speak german or french nowadays .... everyone's born english speaking right ?

Sometimes I wonder what ppl learn in geography class ... ^^:
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, this weekend, I was doing the Thizzarinni (sp?) Arena Quests. I fight my way through the qualifying rounds, I make my way to the Champions, have one death where a fight got away from me and then I finally prevail. I hear the crowd, the announcer is singing my praises, I go to get my prize. Only to be shown, not once, not twice, but 4 messages for the Senche Mount in various languages.

Thank you for killing the moment ZOS
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tors wrote: »
    If everyone brought the Tamriel Unlimited subscription then you would have a point.

But its free to play, so they are expected to monitorise this game in any way possible.

How many apps on your phone spam you with adverts, but you put up with this as you dont want to pay for the cash version.

1. Should Tamriel Unlimited Subscribers have the option to opt out of on-screen crown store announcements

First off, this game isn't free to play. We're all buying it.

Second, I used to use 9GAG on my phone. Then they updated it, asking me how I liked it every login and reminding me of its app ecosystem. I'd have no problem buying that app if they offered it. They didn't. Money isn't earned through coercion, subtle or otherwise.

Third, No, it shouldn't. Players shouldn't have to deal with it, period. We're buying the game to be immersed and play the game. There's so many more avenues to solicit on than ruining players' experiences. They need to drop the subs entirely if it's going to become this two class system. I'm not buying the game to be annoyed and I'm sure as heck not subbing when they can't release content in a reasonable timeframe.
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tors wrote: »

I disagree with your alternative poll question. I'll explain.

I do not believe that its ok to advertise in this manner (adds across the screen during game play) whether you are a subscriber or not. As a subscriber on multiple accounts since launch, I believe that in no way should the Crown Store interfere with game play.

Adds on loading screens, a one time message at log in, or chat pox system messages are fine.

Just because you and I pay a subscription does not make it ok to spam across the screen for those who dont pay a sub. ZO$ stated and assured all of us that the Crown Store would in no way impact our game play experience. An add going all the way across my screen in three different languages while I am trying to complete the Ware Wolf quest was very immersion breaking. I missed half of what the character was saying to me.

I really think its crappy to say 'adds are ok for non-subscribers.' When there is no instance where this kind of interference is acceptable.
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valen_Byte wrote: »
    ZO$ stated and assured all of us that the Crown Store would in no way impact our game play experience.

Good point, although I don't recall the exact wording (and I'll instantly conceed that it probably doesn't matter).

Now I am getting curious as to the standards for advertising in other "free to play" online games/ fantasy mmo's. I've never done an MMO before this (and I do run two sub accounts), but with so much difficulty here about things, maybe it would be useful to try another one as a comparison.

I really don't know if other games do on-screen ads.
    Edited by newtinmpls on April 20, 2015 11:01PM
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have played many MMOs. This one is by far the best in my opinion. None of the others I have played manged to keep my attention. It is my love for this game that makes me fight for it. I do not want it to look like or feel cheap in any way. They did a great job. (here comes the 'but') However, I have noticed that the game has not been headed the way Zos wanted it to for a long time. They are trying to keep it going. I support them in doing so. Honestly though, if they dont put out some actual content soon, population is going to start to fall off again.
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • c.p.garrett1993_ESO
    I voted no. However, I have not had this happen to me.
    I did not come back until after the promotion. My question is: Does it interfere with the game in any way, shape, or form? If it does not than I do not see it as an issue.
    I do believe that subscribers should be able to opt out either way.
  • WhitePawPrints
    WhitePawPrints
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A mail message sent to our account is acceptable.

Launcher notification is acceptable.

A notification message is acceptable.

Log-In Message is acceptable.

Email to my email address on file is acceptable.

Using on screen messages during game play, that is typically reserved for notification of downtime, is not acceptable. And really honestly sounds desperate, and pathetic.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My question is: Does it interfere with the game in any way, shape, or form? If it does not than I do not see it as an issue. .

For me it did.

However I will also admit that as far as I can tell the fact that it was yellow had a lot to do with it. I have been able to ignore the pink-and-whatever colored "so and so did such and such" in Cyrodiil, but something the same color as "server going down" snapped me right out of what I was doing and I missed things.
  • H3Li0S
    H3Li0S
    ✭✭✭
    Advertisement is acceptable but id say 1 advertisement every 2 hours minimum and only in the language of your game, not in 10 languages one after another.

ESO+ should have no advertisement.
    Edited by H3Li0S on April 22, 2015 2:43AM
  • Dixa
    Dixa
    ✭✭✭
    whiners wanted b2p or f2p. this is a consequence.

it's like this is your first time ever playing a f2p or b2p mmorpg or something.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dixa wrote: »

it's like this is your first time ever playing a f2p or b2p mmorpg or something.

I only came to ESO because of ES. So yes, it's exactly like that.