The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Community Vision and Increased Moderation

• Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well,they're getting tighter in the forums then.Kinda scares me,because I got banned for a while just for my signature about a certain point in history. Nothing lude,rude,foul or anything.I cant imagine how much tighter it's gonna get.
    (please,dont reban me.Then again,it wouldnt matter much.After being banned for that,I quit posting,just read the posts.)
  • phtony06b14_ESO
    phtony06b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I believe we all could use a little more "think" before we post comments in a thread. We're passionate about the game & sometimes those passions come out wrong when transformed into text. I've been positive in some posts but truth be told I'm more apt to post something when I'm disgruntled. They say you're never too old to learn new tricks so here's hoping this ole dog still can.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see the following appearing fairly frequently on various posts that have been edited/moderated but not entirely removed:

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Rude Comments]
    Edited by ZOS_MichelleA on February 22, 2015 11:06AM

Is this not "naming and shaming," the very thing we are forbidden from doing? Is the offender not already getting a private message from staff regarding the specific moderation? This seems unnecessary to me and possibly just a little hypocritical.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• wraith808
    wraith808
    ✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    I see the following appearing fairly frequently on various posts that have been edited/moderated but not entirely removed:

Is this not "naming and shaming," the very thing we are forbidden from doing? Is the offender not already getting a private message from staff regarding the specific moderation? This seems unnecessary to me and possibly just a little hypocritical.

No, It's not naming and shaming, it's transparent moderation. If they didn't put it there, even if they notified the poster, there would be accusations of removing content even in places where they didn't touch it at all. And if they didn't tell the reason, the same thing would occur.
    Quasim ibn-Muhammad - VR 12 Redguard Dragon Knight
    Taladriel Vanima - VR 5 Altmer Nightblade
    Ambalyo iyo Bogaadin - VR 1 Redguard Sorceror
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wraith808 wrote: »

No, It's not naming and shaming, it's transparent moderation. If they didn't put it there, even if they notified the poster, there would be accusations of removing content even in places where they didn't touch it at all. And if they didn't tell the reason, the same thing would occur.

If a staff post MUST appear then perhaps it should simply state, "This posted has been edited by Staff." No reason why should be necessary as long as the poster is told privately the details of their infraction.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• wraith808
    wraith808
    ✭✭✭✭

If a staff post MUST appear then perhaps it should simply state, "This posted has been edited by Staff." No reason why should be necessary as long as the poster is told privately the details of their infraction.

Then only the person would know... and accusations would happen. I've seen it before, and it would happen here. Especially when people complain about the moderation they've received. As, the part removed is removed from all quotes, not really sure where the 'naming and shaming' comes from, as there's nothing other than a general pointer to the rules that is there for the removal.
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then only the person would know... and accusations would happen. I've seen it before, and it would happen here. Especially when people complain about the moderation they've received. As, the part removed is removed from all quotes, not really sure where the 'naming and shaming' comes from, as there's nothing other than a general pointer to the rules that is there for the removal.

Well technically, unless you were also involved in the thread to read it at the time of the offending post, you don't know what the issue was either. Only the people involved in the post do and the others there at the time will know and hopefully "learn" what exactly constituted the violation, since whatever language existed in the thread was long since removed. So really most people reading later will never really have any way of seeing a direct example of what consituted the violation, just that one occurred.

That being said, I think that it is important for people to have an awareness that there is in fact moderator presence on the forums, and the best way to do that if for the birdcrumbs of the action to be left in the thread.
    Edited by Soulshine on February 23, 2015 7:19PM
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it me or has the forum activity recently increased significantly?
    Dare I say that it coincides peculiarly with the new forum and/or removal of the LOL button?
    I'm hoping ZOS will share a qualitative summary of what they've seen in terms of activity.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, ZOS?
    Edited by Sacadon on February 23, 2015 8:29PM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sacadon wrote: »
    Is it me or has the forum activity recently increased significantly?
    Dare I say that it coincides peculiarly with the new forum and/or removal of the LOL button?
    I'm hoping ZOS will share a qualitative summary of what they've seen in terms of activity.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, ZOS?

Well, I doubt they'll be able to share much of that info, but I'd also assume that the increase in activity is from the impending changes coming to the game. Lots of people are coming back.
    ----
    Murray?
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Well, I doubt they'll be able to share much of that info, but I'd also assume that the increase in activity is from the impending changes coming to the game. Lots of people are coming back.

Your guess is good one! We have seen quite a few people returning for Update 6, and the upcoming Tamriel Unlimited conversion. :) Lots of new faces, too!

Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @ZOS_JessicaFolsom any chance NA is getting copied to PTS Tomorrow, even if there's no 1.6.5? There's still tons of testing the NA folks want to do.
    Edited by DeLindsay on February 23, 2015 11:11PM
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your guess is good one! We have seen quite a few people returning for Update 6, and the upcoming Tamriel Unlimited conversion. :) Lots of new faces, too!

I wonder how many of those returning ran sorcerers as their mains and will be leaving again once 1.6 is released with sorcerers as they are.

Sorry @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, I am feeling rather bitter right now.
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DeLindsay wrote: »
    Hey @ZOS_JessicaFolsom any chance NA is getting copied to PTS Tomorrow, even if there's no 1.6.5? There's still tons of testing the NA folks want to do.

They already said there will be no more transfers. Doesn't matter that NA's last test week was made hell since we couldn't craft gear above Vr9 and because every *** bag with a two handed weapon was running around one shooting everything on sight.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grao wrote: »

They already said there will be no more transfers. Doesn't matter that NA's last test week was made hell since we couldn't craft gear above Vr9 and because every *** bag with a two handed weapon was running around one shooting everything on sight.
    Sigh, maybe one of these days, a few years down the road, we'll get a real PTS where we can purchase anything in game for 1g form a central vendor that's already legendary and max level (like many MMO's do) and have the ability to Duel other Players with our own Characters to test things instead of spending forever trying to find People in Cyrodiil and just maybe we'll even have Target Dummies too. The flip flop on PTS is only a bandaid for ZoS not building 2 PTS's or figuring out a way so that all of our Characters can exist on the same PTS at the same time. Hopefully ZoS will bring such basic things to ESO one day ;)

• Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sigh, maybe one of these days, a few years down the road, we'll get a real PTS where we can purchase anything in game for 1g form a central vendor that's already legendary and max level (like many MMO's do) and have the ability to Duel other Players with our own Characters to test things instead of spending forever trying to find People in Cyrodiil and just maybe we'll even have Target Dummies too. The flip flop on PTS is only a bandaid for ZoS not building 2 PTS's or figuring out a way so that all of our Characters can exist on the same PTS at the same time. Hopefully ZoS will bring such basic things to ESO one day ;)

Why would you want such a vendor? Don't you like running your tests with vr12 gear you are well aware is not optimal for the new game stats?

Why give us the Undaunted gear sets to test numbers with? It is not like EVERY DPS in the game is using the City of Ash set... is it? Meteors dropping from bleed procs are not at all important or even relevant to our DPS numbers. Tanks are not all using Footman gear, are they? Nope, run your tests with AA and Hel Ra gear, not even SO gear you get to test...
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am already on warning two, so here is what I will say on this matter:

if yall are going to make it impossible to have an argument with someone, y'all can at least increase your activity on the forums; it is only fair. Part of the reason some of us don't give much of a thought to the Code of conduct is because the developers ignore multiple requests and questions daily;(not to mention the blatant cheating that went on with that whole getting thru closed gates mess that went on unchecked and a "gray area" for who knows how long) I have a hard time following the code when the devs themselves don't seem to care much about it themselves:(

I await my suspension, as I know I will be getting it with what I have just said.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »
    What is the proper amount of emotes required to mark the difference between irony/sarcasm and bannable offense?

Is lore-based hate still allowed? Can we still joke about orcs (pig-children), khajiits (thieves), argonians (slaves), nords (barbarians), altmers (daedra-worshippers), bretons (greedy) and bosmers (cannibals) ?

I received a warning for a totally sarcastic comment just a few days ago:(

be sure to put /sarcasm if you meant your post to be sarcastic so you don't end up in my situation.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    what a shame, now i'll have to spend more time actually playing the game...
    i'm guessing forums will die out soon after first 100 of Ginas swings.
    this is just too harsh, i get it trolls are powerfull in ESO but nerfing them is no fun B)

anyhow i hope game will be spot on on update 6 and no mor ecomplaints/suggestions will be necessary xD

may i complain we don't have monthly suggestion thread?

it is a bit harsh in my opinion.

Now I can't even have an argument with someone... its a public forum.... in an M rated game; most of us are adults or have the mindset to take the posts to be expected on these forums.

If someone calls me out, I have to keep my mouth shut or I will get banned... thats not cool in my book;

the forums were fun for me for a time, but now... idk:/

ok, enough with my dramatic posts, this is not all about me:)

carry on:)
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would you want such a vendor? Don't you like running your tests with vr12 gear you are well aware is not optimal for the new game stats? .
    Because having the OPTION to buy such gear means he'll be forever prevented from using his 'normal' VR12?

LOL?

If you're going to put forward an objection to this at least try to make it reasonable.

Edited by Kragorn on February 24, 2015 8:46AM
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kragorn wrote: »
    And yes, I use the word 'censor' deliberately, because this new regime will, and IMO is likely to be intended to, have a chilling effect on dissent .. Turbine did it with LOTRO and now there's barely a negative word about Turbine or the game due to fear of bans, which have been widely used in the past.

I agree 100%

I was one of hundreds banned from Lotros forum, the end result was an unofficial forum that's still thriving which was the only place you could have a proper discussion about the game.

It backfired on Turbine big time as while their forum was full of yes men/women who would hear nothing bad said about the game, it was pointless for anyone to go there and discuss anything.

More and more people started posting in both, then Turbine had the bright idea of banning anyone from the official forum that dared post in the unofficial forum in another attempt to control what was being said.

Of course people just joined using a different name etc and it just gave Turbine a worse name than they already had.

And as has been pointed out, time by others, on Lotros forum, once they clamped down, a certain group of players who would hear nothing negative said about their game, no matter how warranted, deliberately went out of their way to bait any player that had complaints, and couldn't wait to hit the report button, It made the forum an awful place to be.

Sure, personal attacks are not warranted. But there's a big difference between a personal attack and someone pointing out that a poster is being silly or not thinking through what they have said (and of course there's polite and rude ways of saying this)

When people feel like they have been cheated, there are obviously going to be emotions running strong. Those (myself included) that feel like we have paid to test the console version are obviously going to be very vocal upon the announcement that it was going b2p. We are not to blame for this, Zenimax going back on their word is.

Does the above paragraph count as an attack? If so then it's a waste of time posting here.

Trying to stop people giving their honest opinions always backfires and if Zenimax do go that route, all it will mean is that the other popular forums throughout the web will be much more vocally against them than if they had let such conversations carry on here.

I've nothing against them stopping simple bad manners and rudeness though, however I suspect that isn't the real point of this announcement.

Edited by Ojustaboo on February 24, 2015 10:09AM
  • MADshadowman
    MADshadowman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno here is something constructive that has been ignored by everyone for quite a while now.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/1574189

Please, actively, respond to this thread, so i can feel like a part of this community.

Thank you very much.
    Edited by MADshadowman on February 24, 2015 3:34PM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno here is something constructive that has been ignored by everyone for quite a while now.

Please, actively, respond to this thread, so i can feel like a part of this community.

Thank you very much.

I think you're missing a link in there somewhere...
    ----
    Murray?
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cody wrote: »
    what a shame, now i'll have to spend more time actually playing the game...
    i'm guessing forums will die out soon after first 100 of Ginas swings.
    this is just too harsh, i get it trolls are powerfull in ESO but nerfing them is no fun B)

anyhow i hope game will be spot on on update 6 and no mor ecomplaints/suggestions will be necessary xD

may i complain we don't have monthly suggestion thread?

it is a bit harsh in my opinion.

Now I can't even have an argument with someone... its a public forum.... in an M rated game; most of us are adults or have the mindset to take the posts to be expected on these forums.

If someone calls me out, I have to keep my mouth shut or I will get banned... thats not cool in my book;

the forums were fun for me for a time, but now... idk:/

ok, enough with my dramatic posts, this is not all about me:)

carry on:)
    If someone is calling you out and baiting you to try to get you to fight with them, they are violating the community guidelines and you should flag their post.

Though frankly I don't know how much good that will do - the same few people have been in here for a long time baiting others into fights seemingly without any punishment. But still, flagging them is something that you can do that probably won't end in you getting banned like taking their bait most certainly will.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kragorn wrote: »

Why would you want such a vendor? Don't you like running your tests with vr12 gear you are well aware is not optimal for the new game stats? .
    Because having the OPTION to buy such gear means he'll be forever prevented from using his 'normal' VR12?

LOL?

If you're going to put forward an objection to this at least try to make it reasonable.

... I guess I should have used /sarcasm to those unable to notice it dripping from my every word... Seriously sad...
  • MADshadowman
    MADshadowman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you very much.

I think you're missing a link in there somewhere...

You're right! Now with link! thanks.
  • BlueIllyrian
    BlueIllyrian
    ✭✭✭
    Well good luck with increased "moderation".

That approach didn't help Cryptic, Funcom, Mythic, Turbine and plethora of others but I am sure you believe ZOS will be an exception to the rule.
  • BlueIllyrian
    BlueIllyrian
    ✭✭✭

If I call it PR or if I LOL will that be a bannable offense? Guess I'll know soon enough.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone,

One of the goals of the official ESO forums is to provide a safe, welcoming place for our players and developers to read and talk about the game. We want to foster healthy and constructive discussions, debates and feedback, and with The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited quickly approaching, welcome new and returning players.

Effective immediately, we will be enforcing stricter moderation of the existing rules on our forums, and will be much less tolerant of any type of behavior that hurts everyone’s experience. We will not tolerate trolling, demands, abusive or insulting language toward our community members, developers, company, or ESO itself. Once you receive a warning for any moderation action, you will be suspended for 72 hours on your next offense. Any violation after your suspension will result in a permanent ban from our forums (note that this will not affect your in-game status).

We’d love for everyone to take another look at How to be an ESO Community Hero to really embrace the type of behavior we’d like to see. We also want to encourage you to continue using the Report button for any posts or threads that may require a moderator’s attention. We recognize this may require some adjustments in the way you communicate and interact with each other, but with your help, it will make for a healthier and more constructive community. If there’s any doubt about what you’re about to post, please double check the rules.

Thanks for your continued support and understanding!

This is a mistake. Issuing permanent bans so quickly will not foster a healthy community. Temporary bans for gross misconduct I can understand - but to ban someone forever for their third offense is tyrannical and you are more likely to discourage people from playing your game that way.

Also a lot of times posts can be misunderstood and abuses or insults perceived where none were intended.

Edited by Jeremy on February 24, 2015 9:50PM
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok, can you do the same for the game itself?

Ignore functions only go so far, and do so much to stem the tide of homophobic, racial slurring, violent, etc chat.

good game community start in the games themselves..
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
  • wraith808
    wraith808
    ✭✭✭✭
    ok, can you do the same for the game itself?

Ignore functions only go so far, and do so much to stem the tide of homophobic, racial slurring, violent, etc chat.

good game community start in the games themselves..

You talk about ignore... have you used report?