The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Community Vision and Increased Moderation

• nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wraith808 wrote: »
    I am not asking for the trolls to be treated with respect, ban them from the forums for all I care and like you suggested they will find somewhere else to poison out of sight and out of mind.
    What I am saying is where people are asking reasonable, polite and constructive questions then ZOS should answer them. I have seen very little evidence of contribution to date, posting decree`s and not responding to questions or points is not contribution.

Just because someone has ZOS in front of their name doesn't mean they make decisions on what information can and can't be released, and what questions they can and can't answer. They answer what they can- I've seen it done. They also post that we'll give it to the appropriate people. But other stuff? They aren't ignoring for the sake of ignoring.

Yeah, but when corporate policies make it so, that a question takes half an year to be answered, their reasons just don't matter that much anymore.

Maybe not, but common decency does, in terms of the way that you speak to people whose arms are tied. If it means that much to you, and you want it to be heard at different levels (because you think you're being ignored at this level), writing a letter is cathartic, and can be directed to the correct parties from looking up zenimax and finding addresses and/or phone numbers if the addresses for whom you want aren't there.

Treating the people that answer the questions badly? Doesn't do anyone any good.

Of course it doesn't. However, common decency should demand faster answers, acknowledgement and better communication as well. Leaving people feeling ignored is one of several ways to push them beyond their boiling points and turn good man bad.

Have they ever said that every piece of feedback will be responded to? Look at it as putting a survey or letter into a suggestions box. Some, they will get back to. Others, they won't. But it's apparent they are read.

This is a discussion board and not a survey letter nor suggestion box. Look, there's boards with higher dev participation, a lot more traffic and they are all in all much better places to stay. I'm not saying it's ok to bash devs, I'm saying if they want to see less of it and truly want to improve the overall experience, they have to participate and work on their reaction times.

That's not their job.

Literally every game message board is filled with people complaining about the lack of developer response because their pet topic didn't get an answer. This forum is for players to discuss the game. Developers may pop in from time to time, but this is not meant to be a direct channel to them.
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • wraith808
    wraith808
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not asking for the trolls to be treated with respect, ban them from the forums for all I care and like you suggested they will find somewhere else to poison out of sight and out of mind.
    What I am saying is where people are asking reasonable, polite and constructive questions then ZOS should answer them. I have seen very little evidence of contribution to date, posting decree`s and not responding to questions or points is not contribution.

Just because someone has ZOS in front of their name doesn't mean they make decisions on what information can and can't be released, and what questions they can and can't answer. They answer what they can- I've seen it done. They also post that we'll give it to the appropriate people. But other stuff? They aren't ignoring for the sake of ignoring.

Yeah, but when corporate policies make it so, that a question takes half an year to be answered, their reasons just don't matter that much anymore.

Maybe not, but common decency does, in terms of the way that you speak to people whose arms are tied. If it means that much to you, and you want it to be heard at different levels (because you think you're being ignored at this level), writing a letter is cathartic, and can be directed to the correct parties from looking up zenimax and finding addresses and/or phone numbers if the addresses for whom you want aren't there.

Treating the people that answer the questions badly? Doesn't do anyone any good.

Of course it doesn't. However, common decency should demand faster answers, acknowledgement and better communication as well. Leaving people feeling ignored is one of several ways to push them beyond their boiling points and turn good man bad.

Have they ever said that every piece of feedback will be responded to? Look at it as putting a survey or letter into a suggestions box. Some, they will get back to. Others, they won't. But it's apparent they are read.

This is a discussion board and not a survey letter nor suggestion box. Look, there's boards with higher dev participation, a lot more traffic and they are all in all much better places to stay. I'm not saying it's ok to bash devs, I'm saying if they want to see less of it and truly want to improve the overall experience, they have to participate and work on their reaction times.

And we can discuss. But to expect that Devs will be able to respond to everything, even after they increase participation as they've said, is an unreasonable expectation, IMO.
    Quasim ibn-Muhammad - VR 12 Redguard Dragon Knight
    Taladriel Vanima - VR 5 Altmer Nightblade
    Ambalyo iyo Bogaadin - VR 1 Redguard Sorceror
    Options
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And we can discuss. But to expect that Devs will be able to respond to everything, even after they increase participation as they've said, is an unreasonable expectation, IMO.

Indeed. Hence I'd support an OT section, despite it demanding more moderation and the additional workload, because the Devs could participate free from corporate policies that govern discussions about development. Additionally it would bring the benefit of actually getting to know the human behind the 'Dev Mask' and would considerably increase the inhibition threshold of just attacking them out of frustration over the game.

A higher rate of participation doesn't have to mean providing answers directly from devs at once on everything and all topics right now. Chiming in every now and then and generally being active on the boards would suffice (and the ideal of direct participation of every Dev is something that's only likely to see in smaller Indy studios), heck even a longer, but reliable time to adress concerns and answer questions would be better, than never knowing when or if your inquiry sees an answer.

There's room for improvement and they stated so themselves, but ZOS is a slow moving big ol bathtub of a cruiser. But it is getting better, slowly, but steady. However it's not the community to blame, when there's tools, tactics and psychological tricks one can utilize to form a community. You get what you create.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
    Options
  • universe555
    universe555
    ✭✭
    This makes me so angry... a few months back I gave someone a hard time for being such a persistent troll... what did I get from a mod... "We encourage everyone to voice their opinion... even if negative"

Now, with the console kiddies on the way we are kinder and gentler and don't want the neg vibes man...

Face it, we were paying beta testers.
    Options
  • wraith808
    wraith808
    ✭✭✭✭

Indeed. Hence I'd support an OT section, despite it demanding more moderation and the additional workload, because the Devs could participate free from corporate policies that govern discussions about development. Additionally it would bring the benefit of actually getting to know the human behind the 'Dev Mask' and would considerably increase the inhibition threshold of just attacking them out of frustration over the game.

A higher rate of participation doesn't have to mean providing answers directly from devs at once on everything and all topics right now. Chiming in every now and then and generally being active on the boards would suffice (and the ideal of direct participation of every Dev is something that's only likely to see in smaller Indy studios), heck even a longer, but reliable time to adress concerns and answer questions would be better, than never knowing when or if your inquiry sees an answer.

There's room for improvement and they stated so themselves, but ZOS is a slow moving big ol bathtub of a cruiser. But it is getting better, slowly, but steady. However it's not the community to blame, when there's tools, tactics and psychological tricks one can utilize to form a community. You get what you create.

I was with you up until the end. Sure, there's areas that they can and need to change in, but there's areas that only the community- and by community, I mean each one of us individually which will make a whole- can change. Right now, even if they do post in a thread, in many cases they get jumped on with snide remarks, off topic references to other threads that someone wants an answer to right now, and worse. And the deluge of @ comments don't help matters, as it's harder to wade through and easy to miss something when people are putting every ZOS green name in their posts to get attention, rather than focusing attention on more critical needs and using them sparingly.

And there's the fact that this is an MMO- I've not seen overall evidence of a high maturity level in any MMO's forums, and when they move against those that are even obviously trolling, people talk about censorship and such. And not by questions- but by accusations.

It's not a friendly environment, though they do their best to remain chipper. And we have to shoulder the blame for some of that IMO.

And you talk about Dev direct involvement- considering the price of that involvement, are we really willing to pay it? Sure, it's nice to see Developers talk in forums. But there's a real cost to productivity because of that. And it's a trade off that you have to make. Which is the reason that in most cases they have community representatives in the boards, and the insulate the devs direct contact.
    Quasim ibn-Muhammad - VR 12 Redguard Dragon Knight
    Taladriel Vanima - VR 5 Altmer Nightblade
    Ambalyo iyo Bogaadin - VR 1 Redguard Sorceror
    Options
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the associated cost increases player retention (I know of contracts that have half an hour forum time in them per week) it's worth it. Encouraging to invest one's private time is another approach, something that usually happens naturally when the dev team has been part of the community from the get go.

Of course you're right, one should work on oneself first. But there's group dynamics that can be infuenced. Something that happens to all of us in every day life from small notches to outright manipulation. Some are useful (praise and blame / laws) others not so much (promises / ads) and some dangerous (lies / propaganda), but all require a certain level of communication.

Not investing in that sends a signal that the company in question does not deem it worthwhile and can and will be interpreted as floccinaucinihilipilification (I always wanted to use that 'word') of the community. While constant self-improvement is a virtue, one that not all of us achieve, there's always the option to educate (rather than to manipulate, tho that's ok to a certain level), which should be even more constantly pursued, just to make up for the shortcomings we all have to deal with.

Ah, well. I digress and if I don't watch it, this is going to go too far off topic and I don't want to bore y'all any longer with my ramblings. It's just the more you invest into community building, the more the community starts building itself. And ZOS just has access to more and better tools than us.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
    Options
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno I think that simply answering questions and clarifying some of the information that we get sooner could go a long way towards preventing most of the problems that exist. In the past I have seen multiple threads created on the same topic with not a single bit of information from moderators to help clear up the confusion in the first place. Sometimes the only response is just multiple messages being redacted due to what is perceived as not following the code of conduct. This usually only makes the situation worse and people get frustrated at your staff and each other. My suggestion is that you simply be more proactive in responding to concerns and complaints sooner and more clearly. Does it really take that much effort to simply answer a question or to even acknowledge it?
    :trollin:
    Options
  • KBKB
    KBKB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS HAS A VISION?!?!?!

COULDA FOOLED ME
    Options
  • YourNameHere
    YourNameHere
    ✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    In my experience, doing this only leads to trading harassment from players for harassment from moderators. I feel driven away from posting even more now because at least a troll can't ban me.

I've been trying to figure out how to express my response to this thread, and you came very close. I thought the forum was restrictive before this. It strikes me as ironic that an M-rated game has a forum better suited to kids than adults. It's not what I expect from a 'public' forum. I hope I can offer opinions and jokes without the risk of being banned, and not just offer advice on fishing and crafting.
    35cdf242815de115a54a7fcd2a1a00c2.jpg

There's a big difference between a funny joke, and pointing something clearly AT a person.

But remember ... everyone has signed the ToS and EULA, so we need to play by ZoS's rulles, no matter how much one doesn't like it. Same if you were in a job. You surely can joke with your friends, but as soon as you start sending e-mails about how you think the boss (insert personal insult here) .... you're gonna be fired.

Don't get me wrong. I have a very twisted sense of humor in many regards and situations. But I also learned to rein that in when dealing with PUBLIC opposed to PRIVATE. Yes, many people can be 'thin skinned', but it also doesn't excuse the use of clearly offensive material (which BTW, you (generally) KNOW it is when you post it as you chose it).

Overall, I will still have fun. I'll post pics and tell jokes. But I also know when to rein it in and I will report when necessary.
    NA Megaserver / RPer
    Alinyssa Gaethar - AD || Raahni-do - AD || Wind-In-Tree's-Shadow - DC
    Options
  • YourNameHere
    YourNameHere
    ✭✭✭
    RunAway wrote: »
    There is such a thing as over moderation and you'll drive players away from the forums. Take a look at Reddit and see why it's so successful.

Reddit isn't owned by a big company. These forums are by ZoS. Big difference.

You could always do what EQ2Flames did, and make your own Public forums, not owned by a game company. Make your own rules etc.

For now, we play by ZoS's rules. And they aren't as bad as people think they are.
    NA Megaserver / RPer
    Alinyssa Gaethar - AD || Raahni-do - AD || Wind-In-Tree's-Shadow - DC
    Options
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RunAway wrote: »
    There is such a thing as over moderation and you'll drive players away from the forums. Take a look at Reddit and see why it's so successful.

Reddit isn't owned by a big company. These forums are by ZoS. Big difference.

You could always do what EQ2Flames did, and make your own Public forums, not owned by a game company. Make your own rules etc.

For now, we play by ZoS's rules. And they aren't as bad as people think they are.

EQ2Flames was hilarious. I used to go on there just to read the drama. Even without the drama though, there was some very useful advice hidden within the cruel insults. I remember getting great insight into character builds on there. People come onto these forums to get information directly from ZOS or to voice their own feedback. I honestly thought this site was already moderated enough but apparently they didn't think so. I actually believe there are better ways to foster a friendly, welcoming, environment than totalitarian dictatorship of forum postings, but it's not my company. I might get banned for that last comment.
    Options
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Is there a particular reason in the Code of Conduct or the Terms of Service which provides for why there are threads with people actively responding to them yet not being bumped again?

If someone discovers a topic they are interested in and necros a thread, even from a few weeks or months ago even, it nearly always bumps back up to the top and people continue to discuss again or not, as the case may be. But it usually bumps.

I have discovered this is not the case with a particular thread -- can you please explain what is the reason for this? Is there some other criteria for archiving or burying threads that affect a necro reply we should be aware of?
    Edited by Soulshine on March 10, 2015 3:48PM
    Options
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soulshine wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Is there a particular reason in the Code of Conduct or the Terms of Service which provides for why there are threads with people actively responding to them yet not being bumped again?

If someone discovers a topic they are interested in and necros a thread, even from a few weeks or months ago even, it nearly always bumps back up to the top and people continue to discuss again or not, as the case may be. But it usually bumps.

I have discovered this is not the case with a particular thread -- can you please explain what is the reason for this? Is there some other criteria for archiving or burying threads that affect a necro reply we should be aware of?

It could be an internal bug, but that's usually an effect of the moderators "sinking" a thread. They won't close it, but they basically turn off its ability to be bumped to the front page.
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

It could be an internal bug, but that's usually an effect of the moderators "sinking" a thread. They won't close it, but they basically turn off its ability to be bumped to the front page.

I believe the question was directed to staff.

If this is a practice I would like an explantion from them and why this information is not made known to forum users.
    Options
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

If this is a practice I would like an explantion from them and why this information is not made known to forum users.

I believe this is a public forum and not a direct pipeline to a one-on-one Q&A session with ZO staff.

They have explained this practice before. It's never been disguised from forum users, but they rarely announce when a thread is being sunk.
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

I believe this is a public forum and not a direct pipeline to a one-on-one Q&A session with ZO staff.

They have explained this practice before. It's never been disguised from forum users, but they rarely announce when a thread is being sunk.

The thread here was obviously made by ZOS so players can provide feedback; you choosing to reply or anyone else doing so does not change that.

If they choose to ignore the question that is their choice.

It was posed and it stands nonetheless.

You claiming it is known and posted somplace on the forums is not the point of the question either.
    Options
  • Naor_Sarethi
    Naor_Sarethi
    ✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »
    What is the proper amount of emotes required to mark the difference between irony/sarcasm and bannable offense?

Is lore-based hate still allowed? Can we still joke about orcs (pig-children), khajiits (thieves), argonians (slaves), nords (barbarians), altmers (daedra-worshippers), bretons (greedy) and bosmers (cannibals) ?

I literally cant stop to Call argonians slaves.

I know what you mean :(
    Options
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not think it is ok to apply this retroactively. Particularly since it's not possible for us to go back and edit any comments older than a week or so.
    Edited by Ysne58 on March 12, 2015 6:09PM
    Options
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ysne58 wrote: »
    I do not think it is ok to apply this retroactively. Particularly since it's not possible for us to go back and edit any comments older than a week or so.

The standards haven't changed; they're just actually enforcing them now.
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • LadyNerevar
    LadyNerevar
    ✭✭✭
    I, for one, am happy about the increased moderation. It's bad enough when you've got to pay to post, it's definitely not going to look any better when anyone can sign up.
    Librarian at the Imperial Library
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is possible to edit comments older than a week. It is possible to edit comments written in April 2014.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is possible to edit comments older than a week. It is possible to edit comments written in April 2014.

I can't edit any of my posts that are older than a week.

Options
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you mean the cog isn't showing up? Or are you getting an error message?

I just went back to a post from almost a year ago and was able to edit it just fine.
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I just went back to a post from almost a year ago and was able to edit it just fine.

The message I keep getting is "you do not have permission to do this."
    Options
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The message I keep getting is "you do not have permission to do this."

Is it a locked thread? Or is there anything about the post that the moderators already edited (including quotes)?
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No to both.
    Options
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think it matters anyway. I'm fairly certain none of this applies retroactively and if you were not punished for a comment you made a month ago, chances are you're in the clear.
    Edited by eventide03b14a_ESO on March 13, 2015 8:50PM
    Options
  • Sunver
    Sunver
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see mods and admins care for our mental health :) The thing is, you have to keep the balance between Crowley's "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law." and Big Brother from Orwell's "1984". In between would be best, but I prefer that you do not hestitate to tighten the screws on somebody if necessary.

Keep up the good work.
    When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
    What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
    For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
    O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!
    Options
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Along with these actions, I highly recommend changing the behavior ZOS engages in to be more open, honest, and with integrity. Business ethics are important and I don't think the decision makers understand that in any way shape or form.

The latest example is the switch and bait with taking the Explorer pack, renaming it to Adventure pack and the only difference inside the pack being the pet.

If ZOS truly wants a healthy community, ZOS really needs to clean up it's act. Applying these rules to your forum members while exempting yourselves from the same standards of behavior is more than simple hypocrisy. I really hope you take this advice to heart and start making real changes to your behavior.

Options
  • OrangeTheCat
    OrangeTheCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bleakraven wrote: »
    Could we get a suggestions category, maybe? Or perhaps even add some sort of agree/disagree for those suggestions? That way you could quickly see if what someone suggested is highly agreed with or not.
    Yep, we are exploring the option of adding a Disagree option (you know, so you can either Agree or Disagree), among a few other changes to the Reaction flags. These will likely come after the forum visual overhaul.

On a related topic, I would like to bring up a comment from another thread. When the moderators drop into a topic to moderate it, can this not show up with a green marker on the list of topics? It would be cool if that identified threads with on topic dev response.
    That's a good idea. We'll look into making it so!

Audigy wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

In general I think, that the forum got less toxic over the past few months, bar the attacks on ZO officials of course.
    I had to report one or two people every week after release and the mods always stepped in. Those reports however have now become rare, I don't know why - but I don't get the rude and toxic replies anymore or I just don't see them ;)

Therefore I am a bit surprised that this is actually a topic in the ZOS office now ;)

Personally I have never been banned in any forums and see myself as a friendly person, but its always a tough job to distinguish between irony, sarcasm or an insult in someone's post.

I remember I posted a funny "Vampire" story under one of @MornaBaine post - it was a joke for me, but I never found out how she saw it. ;)

The danger in general that I see now is, how some members could start reporting such posts to get rid of people they don't like, so I wonder how this will be handled in future and how strict also the "reporters" will be monitored?

I am all for punishing people that are rude and post nonsense, but its going to be a tough job and highly dependent on the mods mood as well, so I wish you guys luck with catching the right ones o:)
    When we get a reported post, we always review it within the context of the thread before taking any action. We won't action against someone if we feel the report isn't justified.

Can permanent bans by bypassed by simply creating a new account? (Additional purchase may be required)

Is this a three-strikes zero tolerance forum? Are all ToS infractions the same weight? If someone has 2 strikes for excessive profanity in the forum (ie abusive) but then says that they saw @player using an exploit in the game and runs afoul of "naming and shaming", are they out?

Last, do infractions expire? If @player runs her mouth off and gets a 72 hr timeout, then has a moderation action 2 years later for something else, is that strike three?
    Bans cannot be bypassed by simply creating a new account. Currently, you must be invited to the forums in order to post, and this will continue after we release Tamriel Unlimited.

The three-strikes rule encompasses all violations. As far as infractions expiring, that's something we definitely want to explore as the forums continue to grow over time. We don't think it's fair for something to carry over from years ago.

I got a warning today (before knowing about the new rules; I mean, what I said would have been ok before so I was quite surprised by the change in attitude) and in the notification it says I had a previous warning. Since today is the first time I've been able to make a comment on these forums since I stopped subbing at the time of the B2P announcement, it sure seems like some past infraction (that I don't even remember it's been so long ago) has carried over to the present, new era of moderation. Doesn't seem particularly fair to me, especially since I just got here, but whatever.
    Edited by OrangeTheCat on March 17, 2015 10:18PM
    Options