The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

The ESO Slang and Abbreviation Dictionary

• katkat42
    katkat42
    ✭✭✭
    A few more...

DoT - Damage over time. Refers to attacks that do "x damage over y seconds" or "n damage every m seconds".

DoT tick - One pulse of a DoT ability, or the interval between pulses. In the example above, the ability's DoT tick is m seconds. Most abilities in ESO seem to have ticks every 1 or 2 seconds.

HoT, HoT tick - Healing over time. Similar to DoT, but applies to healing abilities.

Dmg - shorthand for "damage".

MQ - Main Quest or Main Questline, the questline involving seeing the Prophet in his Harborage every so often.

FG, MG, TG - Fighters' Guild, Mages' Guild, and Thieves' Guild, respectively. Can refer to the guilds themselves, the services they provide, or their associated questlines. The Thieves' Guild is supposed to debut as a playable questline sometime next year. Not to be confused with guilds established by, and composed entirely of, players.

DB - Dark Brotherhood. In Elder Scrolls lore, the Dark Brotherhood is a cross between a death cult and a professional assassins' guild, and has featured as a very popular playable guild in most Elder Scrolls games. A Dark Brotherhood questline is supposed to be released sometime next year.

g or gp after a number - "Gold" or "gold pieces", the Tamrielic equivalent to "$" for dollars. In most Elder Scrolls games, they're called "septims." But ESO is set well before the Septim dynasty, so the gold coins do not yet feature the Septim emperors' faces.

DE - Disenchant, a shorthand imported from World of Warcraft, meaning to deconstruct something for whatever components it may drop.

AP - Alliance Points, a sort of currency earned through one's exploits in PvP play. The in-game symbol for ap is a hollow green diamond.
    Stonehenge ROCKS!
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please ad 'QQ' as I still have no idea what this means...even Google doesn't know lol

QQ = represents two crying eyes; also means quit crying!
    I think... someone told me that in DAoC

Actually, QQ derived from an online game (that shall remain nameless), where to quit you had to press Q twice. Whenever somebody would rage in chat, everybody would tell them to "QQ" so they wouldn't have to listen to the nerd rage.

The resemblance to QQ looking like crying eyes was a happy accident that resulted in a new definition.
    Edited by DenverRalphy on October 18, 2014 9:32PM
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, "Mob" is a shortform/acronym for "Moveable Object". Any non-player controlled entity that moves around in the game environment is considered a Mob.

The term came about in the early days of MUDs when monsters were no longer stationary and could actually move around instead of always being found in the exact same location.

Technically, NPCs that can't be attacked by players but move around nonetheless, are also mobs. Though mobs that can't be attacked are typically referred to as NPCs.

So while the English definition of Mob may cloud the meaning... A single monster alone in the world is still referred to as a Mob.
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    emeraldbay wrote: »
    What a helpful thread, thanks for putting this together! Glad to see that some ubiquitous MMO terms are included as well (maybe it won't take others as long as it took me in my early MMO days to figure out that PST stands for something and isn't just the sound of someone whispering).

If you decide to edit the original post to include suggestions added later in the thread, you may also consider adding bullet-points to the existing list, or perhaps putting the abbreviations in bold to make them stand out from the definitions. Just a thought for improving readability. Great work! :)
    Wait, you mean that actually stands for something?!

By the moons...
    haha you don't know what PST means. Someone tell him what it means >.>
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP Says

"Grinding - Performing the same action over and over until a player gets what he wants from it. It is, quite literally, insanity, according to Einstein's Definition of Insanity.
    Farming - Same as grinding."

This is not completely right:

Grinding -- One grinds for XP to level one's char
    Farming -- One farms for items -- IE crafting books, food items in bags, or crafting drops, etc

They are closely related, but there is a difference.

Thanks, OP for the listing B)
    Edited by k9mouse on October 19, 2014 11:41AM
  • Luvsfuzzybunnies
    Luvsfuzzybunnies
    ✭✭✭
    ItsMeToo wrote: »
    Aeratus wrote: »
    Here are some more terms

PVP

Purple - used by AD to describe EP and DC working together
    Green/Lime - used by EP to describe AD and DC working together
    Orange - used by DC to describe AD and EP working together

Skills abbreviations

GDB - Green dragon blood
    BE - Bolt escape

PVE

HM - Hard mode (trials and vet dungeons)

You won't see Green/Lime or Orange in PvP... AD works alone.

I lold
    Jukette VR12 DC Nightblade 14 day campaign.
    Kitten Kisser VR12 DC Sorcerer 14 day campaign
  • dgoss11b14_ESO
    Can't forget FC! Forward Camp
  • Neizir
    Neizir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Updated the dictionary with your suggestions! ZOS is going to pop in and edit this before publishing it on Social Media channels on Wednesday or Thursday :)
    Neizir Stormstrider

EU Megaserver

UK
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    I have a fancy signature.
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think people also call EP: Peppers
  • renton1x1x1
    renton1x1x1
    ✭✭✭
    this is awesome:)

thanks
    Renton Sc Breton Sorcerer VR14
    Renton Tp Argonian Templar VR14
    Renton Dk Imperial DragonKnight VR14
    Renton Nb Khajiit Nightblade VR10 Vampire

www.alitheso.com Casual Social EU PvX Guild

Ebonheart Pact EU PVP Decimation Elite Azura's Star
    The Traveling Merchant
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/190077/the-traveling-merchant-eu-craglorn-trading-guild

So let me get this straight: You want to ride on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people and beg with him for your freedom. And you're telling me that you're completely sane? - Rimmer - Red Dwarf V - Quarantine
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please ad 'QQ' as I still have no idea what this means...even Google doesn't know lol

QQ = represents two crying eyes; also means quit crying!
    I think... someone told me that in DAoC

Actually, QQ derived from an online game (that shall remain nameless), where to quit you had to press Q twice. Whenever somebody would rage in chat, everybody would tell them to "QQ" so they wouldn't have to listen to the nerd rage.

The resemblance to QQ looking like crying eyes was a happy accident that resulted in a new definition.

I want to add about QQ.

It actually originated with the advent of Warcraft II. On battlenet, you could press ALT+Q+Q to immediately exit the match and program. Thus the term "QQ" was to tell people to just quit because they are unskilled. The term later developed and lost it's origin and is usually mistaken as crying eyes.
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • dan958
    dan958
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought QQ meant 'you should quit'
    Some game had the quit shortcut as 'Alt+Q+Q' and people would tell them to 'QQ'

Edit: Just realised (extremely late) that people above already went through this!
    Edited by dan958 on October 27, 2014 9:37PM
    @dan958 - PC/EU - Dannuin - Nightblade - Bosmer - CP982 - For the Queen!
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dan958 wrote: »
    I thought QQ meant 'you should quit'
    Some game had the quit shortcut as 'Alt+Q+Q' and people would tell them to 'QQ'

Yep, you're right.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nvm
    Edited by MasterSpatula on October 27, 2014 7:04PM
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • KingRebz
    KingRebz
    ✭✭✭
    Noob - A beginner, a low level, a person with low knowledge of the game, low skill etc. It may be used as a sign of disrespect however it represents a person thats a low level. This term is usually applied by a highier level to a lower level.
    V14 Sorceror [Ebonheart]
  • KingRebz
    KingRebz
    ✭✭✭
    GG-good game
    BG-bad game
    GF-good fight
    V14 Sorceror [Ebonheart]
  • thodoris1008
    thodoris1008
    ✭✭
    You should also include L2P.It's definitely the most used abbreviation in these forums (especially in pvp related threads).
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to know more about the PvP specific jargon...

Like, for example, I've seen in zone chat while in Cyrodiil terms like "zone 5" referring to a place in the map, I guess?
    And several others that I don't remember right now.

I tried Googling for several phrases like that with no much luck.

Probably is some hardcore guild's secret code or something :smiley:
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually, "Mob" is a shortform/acronym for "Moveable Object". Any non-player controlled entity that moves around in the game environment is considered a Mob.

The term came about in the early days of MUDs when monsters were no longer stationary and could actually move around instead of always being found in the exact same location.
    From my MUDding days I always understood "mob" to mean "mobile", as in not an inanimate object.

• PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also about noob and newbie.
    Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. n00bs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more.
  • Kvothe
    Kvothe
    ✭✭
    Here are a couple more for the list:
    AFK: Away from keyboard
    BIO: When nature calls ; )
    Glass Cannon: A build that sacrifices survivability for damage output
    Port: Teleport to a group member "port to me" or to some other location
    Squishy: Someone who dies rapidly
    Vend: Sell items to free up inventory space "I need to vend some things"
    WB: World boss
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AFK - a free kill ^^
  • Neizir
    Neizir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Updated the dictionary again :) It should be appearing on ZOS's social outlets soon.
    Neizir Stormstrider

EU Megaserver

UK
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    I have a fancy signature.
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • blueberrydonut
    blueberrydonut
    Soul Shriven
    Not sure if this was worth mentioning, but I've also seen"LOS" [Line of Sight] used in vet dungeon bosses. :smile:
    "Come to us, Gar Xuu Gar. The way is open. The way is clear. Come to us, Gar Xuu Gar. Bring us terror. Bring us fear."

Happy Pact Sorceror! Yay :)
  • Illumous
    Illumous
    ✭✭✭
    Kiting - Pulling/attacking an enemy from range while moving away from it, similar to flying a kite.
    Sol-Illumous | Breton Templar | Mag Support/Healer | EP
    Sol-Ventus | Imperial Templar | Stam DPS | EP
    Famìne | Argonian Templar | Mag Support/Healer | DC
    NA Azura's Star (PC) - WCFC (Myrmidons) & Horsemen of Apocalypse
  • morvegil
    morvegil
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since when is Ganking frowned upon?
    Lo'ke
    Nord Vampire
    Nightblade
    Shield+BOW

Daggerfall Covenant
    Bandit King
    Bridge Bandits Guild
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    morvegil wrote: »
    It's just not classy. A high level player attacking and killing a low level player without provocation? A shameful display I say!
  • Kalman
    Kalman
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neizir wrote: »
    [*]Wrecking Ball - Essentially a zerg with tactics. It involves a zergball clumping together and buffing themselves so they are mega OP (Immune to CC, Immune to AoE and almost anything) and then charging at a high speed towards an enemy. Wrecking Balls are EXTREMELY useful when defending and almost always successful. Contrary to popular belief, a wrecking ball CAN be defeated if you know what to do.

Here is a video example: Wrecking Ball In Action
  • GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neizir wrote: »
    [*]Lag - Latency or FPS problems.

Just have to pipe in. Lag is when you take an action and there's a significant delay before you see the results. It's exactly what the word means, and it's almost *always* caused by latency. If you're using it to talk about generic FPS issues then you are probably miscommunicating, unless your frame rate is in single digit territory.

And P.S. In some games DD is Direct Damage (Abilities that do all their damage up front at once, or DPS classes that specialize in that form of damage), as opposed to DoT's (abilities that do their damage over times, or DPS classes that specialize in DoT's). While DPS is (AFIAK) always damage per second (or classes that specialize in maximizing the amount of damage in a minimum amount of time.) In some games some DPS classes specialize in DD, whereas others specialize in DoT. Some bosses are easier to take out with one or the other, so LFG DD may actually specifically mean looking for a DPS class that specializes in Direct Damage, as opposed to one that specializes in DoT's.

Generally, you're safer to say DPS if you don't particularly care what type of damage it is.

That said, this game doesn't really have much in the way of a DD vs DoT divide, so it doesn't really matter here. (I'm not even sure there are any really effective DoT centric builds?)
    Achievements Suck
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zorrashi wrote: »
    morvegil wrote: »
    It's just not classy. A high level player attacking and killing a low level player without provocation? A shameful display I say!
    I always understood ganking as the stealth, big hitting, killshot approach to attacking other players without level being considered. Do other people have the same connotation as I do?
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
This discussion has been closed.