The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The ESO Slang and Abbreviation Dictionary

• SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The term newb and noob have become very mainstream, but I remember a few years ago, there was a difference when writing on the forums for another game I played.

Newb was a new player, which there was nothing wrong with.

Noob was someone who was terrible or chose to use terrible tactics because they were not good enough to do anything else. Didn't matter how long they played, they were always a noob.
    Edited by SFBryan18 on January 19, 2015 11:23AM
  • Neizir
    Neizir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've updated the dictionary with 1.6 terms :smiley:
    Neizir Stormstrider

EU Megaserver

UK
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    I have a fancy signature.
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Public Service, I'm bumping this one for all the new players. Some of whom I've seen ask what is AD, DK, NB, AA, HR, SO and DSA. This is for you and others who might need a brush up.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Neizir
    Neizir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    Public Service, I'm bumping this one for all the new players. Some of whom I've seen ask what is AD, DK, NB, AA, HR, SO and DSA. This is for you and others who might need a brush up.

I second this. Maybe we could have a sticky? :)
    Edited by Neizir on May 3, 2015 8:16PM
    Neizir Stormstrider

EU Megaserver

UK
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    I have a fancy signature.
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • helbjorn
    helbjorn
    ✭✭
    Nice guide.
    Neizir wrote: »
    In turn, Tanks and DDs protect the healer.

I lol'd at this line. I would have written it as, "Tanks and DDs typically ignore the healer, unless they themselves die, in which case they mercilessly berate the healer and possibly kick them from the group, usually just before the final boss dies."
  • drschplatt
    drschplatt
    ✭✭✭✭
    WaI= "Working as intended - A phrase often used when attempting to differentiate between a system bug, and a feature purposely implemented into the game. Example: "I've killed 1 million Teletubbies but the Gauntlets of Irritating TV shows hasn't dropped, is the drop rate bugged or is this WaI?"

Nerf = To imply something has been reduced in power or desirability. Example: Don't you dare mention any good grinding spots on the forums. The devs will nert the experience right into the ground.

Rage = PVP term used to describe those whose response to things not going their way is to act like a 2-year-old who knows how to type, thus throwing a tantrum (often coupled as "rage quit" if they log off). Example: WHAT!? YOU MOTHER ****ER HOW DID YOU JUST KILL ME!!! (Throws keyboard across the room). "Easy dude, don't rage, it's just Maple Story and she was 6."

Rez = A character being resurrected by a third party after dying in game. Example: Guess I can't take on VR 14 mobs at level 2...can I get a rez?

Wipe = Every member of an adventurer party dying with no chance for a 3rd party rez. Example: Custer's Last Stand is generally considered to be a total party wipe.

I may think of more later.
    Edited by drschplatt on May 4, 2015 2:45AM
    Foräois - Imperial Sorcerer of Ineptitude.
    Widoch - Nord Dragon Knight of Ignorance.
    Billy Bob - Dunmer Templar of Chicken and Noodles.
    Blades of Vengeance
  • PainfulFAFA
    PainfulFAFA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the term Farm Server should me added to the list.

Farm Server example: Thornblade NA

Keep in mind this only benefits the alliance(s) that are NOT overpopulated.
    PC NA
    Aztec | AZTEC | Ahztec | Aztehk | Master of Mnem
    MagDK | Magplar | Magward | Mageblade | Stamsorc

• Elsir
    Elsir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Castle Alessia is missing from the locations list. Personally, I often mistake "Ales" for "Alessia" in zone chat rather than Fort Aleswell.
    Anna (AKA: Elsir)
    Templar
  • djspiralz
    djspiralz
    Soul Shriven
    and what about DLC?
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    djspiralz wrote: »
    and what about DLC?

@djspiralz

DLC = Downloadable Content
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • azoriangaming
    azoriangaming
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neizir wrote: »
    [*]Ebonheart War Council, EWC, WAR - On the EU server, this is the main governing body of most Pact PvP as well as one of ESO's largest "guilds" by player count (Technically it isn't one guild, it's one big alliance of several guilds). The EWC and Exile are currently arch-rivals and absolutely despise eachother. Its most notable players are Quicky Ra, Subhuman, and myself, Neizir!
    [*]Exile - The Covenant's main EU PvP guild, containing many formidable and elite players. Also the EWC's arch-nemesis. Most notable players are Abraxus, Hexys, and Lairgren.
    [*]Banana Squad - The Dominion's main EU PvP guild, also containing many formidable foes. The situation right now is that the EWC and Exile are the bitterly hateful rivals while the Banana Squad is just the *** little brother watching on and just being very big nuisances to non-Dominionites. Most notable members are Magicka de Hex, Neithi and Frostsoul.
    amazing haha nice one
  • CherryCake
    CherryCake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for this!
    I like sweetrolls and I cannot lie
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not seeing Faceroll and Roflstomp in there...
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Gern_Verkheart
    Gern_Verkheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is very useful for players new to MMO's. You should add a short section of builds though. It's a little annoying when I ask a player what their build is and they respond with something like "mage," "DK," "Archer" etc. That doesn't mean anything in this MMO. So:

Builds
    Stamina Build Shorthand
    • Stam Sorc: Sorcer focused on using the stamina resource and melee weapon skills, helps to also include what your primary weapon is: DW (Duel Wield) or 2H (Two Hand)
    • Stam Temp, Stamplar: Same as above, but a Templar instead
    • Stam NB, Stamblade: Same as above, but a Nightblade instead
    • Stam DK, Stam Knight: Same as above, except a Dragon Knight
    • Bow Sorc, Bow NB, Bow Temp, Bow DK, Archer Sorc, Archer NB, etc: A ranged stamina build that focuses on the bow instead of melee weapons. Just put "Bow" or "Archer" before the shorthand of your class. This is important, because different classes have different abilities that they will be using with the bow, which can drastically change it's playstyle.

Magicka Builds Shorthand
    • Mag Sorc: A sorcerer that focuses on the use of magicka resource, magicka weapons and magicka abilities.
    • Mag DK, Fire Mage, Mag Knight: Same as above, but a Dragon Knight
    • Mag NB, Shadow Mage, Mageblade: Same as above, but a Night Blade
    • Mag Temp, Light Mage, Magplar: Same as above except a Templar
    Edited by Gern_Verkheart on November 5, 2015 6:48PM
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just read the definition of "L2P" and want to know, who is the grand exhaulted puba that decided what the "correct" way to play a class or character type is?

I mentioned this in another thread. One of the selling points of all TES and TES related games (ESO) is that you could "Play as you want."

Apparently that is not true. You MUST play as these particular archetypes and only within these particular parameters and only use this specific gear and methodology or you will be told to L2P or be ostracized.

Who made this determination? Who decided for me that my sorcerer/templar/night blade/dragon knight can only be played in this particular way?
  • CavalierPrime
    CavalierPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dude I dont know about this thread, but if you consult a WoW slang guide and a Magic the Gathering slang guide, youre pretty much set to go on ESO.
  • Gern_Verkheart
    Gern_Verkheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    DenMoria wrote: »
    I just read the definition of "L2P" and want to know, who is the grand exhaulted puba that decided what the "correct" way to play a class or character type is?

I mentioned this in another thread. One of the selling points of all TES and TES related games (ESO) is that you could "Play as you want."

Apparently that is not true. You MUST play as these particular archetypes and only within these particular parameters and only use this specific gear and methodology or you will be told to L2P or be ostracized.

Who made this determination? Who decided for me that my sorcerer/templar/night blade/dragon knight can only be played in this particular way?

That's not what they mean when they say that. If you can accomplish a goal with a build, then that build is good and you have "learned to play." If you cannot kill an easily soloable mob, or counter an easily counterable player mechanic, then you have not "Learned to play." It's about what you can accomplish, not how you accomplish it.
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe Node Ninja hasn't been added: someone that takes a crafting node whyle you are fighting mobs that are protecting them.
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • MrDerrikk
    MrDerrikk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe Node Ninja hasn't been added: someone that takes a crafting node whyle you are fighting mobs that are protecting them.

Granted this is an old thread, so requesting it to be put in would work!
    I have departed into the great unknown that is outside the game and the forums, and wish you well in your Tamriel adventures!

DC - PC - EU - Australian
    VR11 Mrderrikk: Breton Stam Sorc (Vamp) | VR16 Derrikkinblack: Dunmer Mage DK | VR3 Cuts-Until-It-Dies: Argonian Magicka NB

Oh look, Anook.
  • PainfulFAFA
    PainfulFAFA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVP
    • FOTM (flavor of the month)
    • Meta
    PC NA
    Aztec | AZTEC | Ahztec | Aztehk | Master of Mnem
    MagDK | Magplar | Magward | Mageblade | Stamsorc

• UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This thread brought to you by NECROMANCY... Because Needlessly Encouraging Conversations Really Outdated Most Always Never Concerns You.

Not that this wiktionary is useless, I'm just saiyan...

By the way you can add my above bit to your list :p
    Edited by UltimaJoe777 on December 17, 2015 6:19AM
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • Aquanova
    Aquanova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, "GTG" in the first category can also mean "good to go" as when "LF1M heals then GTG".
    Edited by Aquanova on December 17, 2015 7:15AM
    NA/PC
  • MrDerrikk
    MrDerrikk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about "GG"?
    I have departed into the great unknown that is outside the game and the forums, and wish you well in your Tamriel adventures!

DC - PC - EU - Australian
    VR11 Mrderrikk: Breton Stam Sorc (Vamp) | VR16 Derrikkinblack: Dunmer Mage DK | VR3 Cuts-Until-It-Dies: Argonian Magicka NB

Oh look, Anook.
  • munchkinxx
    munchkinxx
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen the term "nerf..". Googled that one.
    mats? Penny drop moment when I realised it was for "materials".
    Edited by munchkinxx on December 31, 2015 9:34AM
  • Divinamama
    RSram wrote: »
    Here's a link to a PDF I created with most of the terms defined by the posters in this discussion. Feel free to pass it around to guild members, and let me know if there are any issues, or errors in the PDF and I will fix them.

Click here to view PDF File

wow this is very great!! saving to my system for sure! Thanks so much :D
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually,the "Murica" bit is not an abbreviation for America.It started as an insult,calling us idiots,more or less.As though this is what we say,instead of America.Now,it is accepted by the community,sadly.
    To the OP:
    Thank you oodles for this list! I have copied it on my PC so when I get lost,I can refer to it. XD
    Edited by Volkodav on February 29, 2016 11:11PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice list, although I prefer the alternative meaning for "L2P" - a term of abuse by players who consider themselves superior, usually without justification.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Nice list, although I prefer the alternative meaning for "L2P" - a term of abuse by players who consider themselves superior, usually without justification.

It isnt always used by those who wish to abuse,or those who feel superior to others.Though it mostly is.
    Sometimes that term fits the comment someone is replying to.Sometimes someone does just need to "learn to play'.
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ganking appears to have different meanings for different games but it is essentially an abbreviation of the term a 'gang kill'.
    Where you simply work to out-number opponents to give you an advantage in smaller scale PvP.
    PC EU - NoCP PvP, is real PvP
    Tiidehunter Nord StamDK EP PvP Main
    Legion Commander Tresdin Stamplar DC PvE Main
    Sephirith Altmer MagPlar EP Gondar the Bounty Hunter Khajiit StamBlade DC
    The Dirge Redguard StamNecro EP Disruptor Stormcrafter Nord StamSorc AD
    Lone Druid Bosmer Stam Warden EP Necro-Phos Argonian MagBlade AD
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ganking appears to have different meanings for different games but it is essentially an abbreviation of the term a 'gang kill'.
    Where you simply work to out-number opponents to give you an advantage in smaller scale PvP.

Ganking in ESO means to sneak up on someone and wipe them out in one fell swoop.
    I hate ganksters.
This discussion has been closed.