Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why do people think this game sucks?

• Mountain_Dewed
    Mountain_Dewed
    ✭✭✭
    How many of you truly stopped playing a game because someone else didn't like it?
    Options
  • Stranglehands
    Stranglehands
    ✭✭✭✭
    It'll stop plenty of people trying the game, that's the damage it does
    .kcoR gnillaF si noitadnuoF esohw ETIYREP oT
    Options
  • Qutayba
    Qutayba
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with many of the posts that suggest the bad buzz got ahead of Zenimax's ability to counter it with discussions of the game's strengths.

The Elder Scrolls have always been my favorite games, Morrowind followed by Skyrim. My two greatest fears about ESO before its release have turned out to be unfounded. One, that they would ruin the lore - quite the opposite, they've done a fairly solid job of doing justice to the lore and the richness of the world. And two, that it would somehow divert value and resources from TES single player games. I still enjoy Skyrim more than any other game, even ESO, but I'm glad ESO is NOT Skyim-Online, but a sufficiently different gaming experience.

That said, they did make some odd design decisions. The use of so much phasing tends to impede the ability for players in different phases to help one another. And the VR-content going through the other factions diminishes replayability with precisely the content that ought to increase replayability. Making an alt of a different class in a different alliance with a new story would have been more appealing than just making an alt of a different class that will just go through the same content in a different order. Neither kills the game, but they seem to go against the grain of other design elements that work far better.
    Options
  • like1tiger
    like1tiger
    ✭✭✭
    Well. the topic name didn't grab me but you really have a great post here and it gives me hope with all your great responses to all the stupid arguments people have all the time. thankyou
    Options
  • ghengis_dhan
    ghengis_dhan
    ✭✭✭
    My perspective: played Skyrim for 2000+ hours (per Steam), played Morrowind uncounted hours, played ESO daily since early access. The few MMOs I played I quit because I hated the experience.

Skyrim and Morrowind were too much fun. I'd lose track of time and not realize it until my alarm went off telling me I had to get up for work. In these games, my character was unique, exceptional, and eventually gained god-like powers.

ESO is just the right amount of fun. (I can go to bed on time now.) My character is more like a champion among other champions. He is not unique or all that exceptional...more like he's near the top of the class at special forces school. Although I do not like many of the MMO-ish qualities found in ESO, it is not game breaking for me.

I can see how hardcore fans of MMOs or TES games would be disappointed with ESO. But, we can't discount the negativity also coming from employees of other game companies. It would not surprise me if the majority of the extreme hatred is coming from people who were hired to spread lies about ESO.
    "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Teddy Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
    Options
  • Thatusernameistaken
    So yeah pointless to argue with someone like you who got to level 5 then regurtitated crap he read on the forums.

Why should I level past level 5? It's boring. If it was as good as you contend I'd be glued to it. I'm not.
    Options
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So yeah pointless to argue with someone like you who got to level 5 then regurtitated crap he read on the forums.

Why should I level past level 5? It's boring. If it was as good as you contend I'd be glued to it. I'm not.

Oh wow someone didn't like a game oh man how can I argue with that logic. But if it was as boring as you said no one would play at all ever. But wait look at that my guild is all vet leveled so obviously people are playing past level 5. Maybe you like the WoW clones that are endless gear grinds and 3 skill rotations. I don't know what type of gamer you are so i don't know why you don't enjoy it.
    Options
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe a lot of the hate for ESO springs from a few basic areas:

First, it's not Skyrim: Online. It's not trying to be, never wanted to be. It's set in a totally different era with completely different circumstances. Even if it -were- set in the same era as Skyrim, the same people crying that they can't be Dragonborne would still be crying because -everyone- was Dragonborne.

Second, design choices. ZOS was forced to make some design choices that still grate some people. Instead of the typical ( and gladly fading ) UI design where every skill, potion, item and trick is plastered on the screen in a wall o' buttons, they went for a more traditional ES feel with a limited hotbar and the quickslot. Personally, I love this idea. Would love it more if they added a native way to switch out hotbar sets, but that's another thing totally. The need to pick and choose which skills you'll use makes each skill far more valuable and their use much more immediate and give combat, at least to me, a much more visceral feel. Managing resources, actively dodging, rolling and blocking is far more entertaining than button-mashing / ability spamming.

Next, the game does seem to suffer a bit of schizophrenia, not being a total MMO or a single player game. It's kinda, mostly both but not really either. By trying to bridge the genres it kinda failed in ways and I can honestly see why some people would take issue with that. Again, personally, I really love that some dungeons ( Guilds, Main Story, etc ) are solo. It captures of of that ES me v. the world epicness. But I also like the phasing, letting my actions permanently -change- the world! Like freeing a town from raiders or pirates and then seeing the whole place come to life with other players. That's awesome!

Some people were just going to hate. Haters do that. No matter what ZOS offered they were going to whine, complain, ***, moan, ***, gripe and claim that anyone who dares to be less angry than them is a fanboi ( or fangirl, in my case ) and dismiss us all as employees of ZOS or worse.

Not saying the game is perfect. There are any number of things I'd change ( like being able to sit at tables, on bar stools, etc ) but every patch is offering new content, fixes, tweaks and, as of today, ESO is a far better game than at launch and I don't see any thing but improvement in the future.
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
    Options
  • Thatusernameistaken
    I won't be subbing. It was only $30 and I found out for my self what it's like since beta.
    To brush off criticism as Haters gonna hate is ridiculous. There are serious design flaws with this game.
    Also suggesting no matter what they do haters will hate, again, ridiculous. If it didn't suck, I wouldn't hate it. It does, so I do.
    I've played and enjoyed just about every MMORPG out there. This one is just bad.
    Options
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't be subbing. It was only $30 and I found out for my self what it's like since beta.
    To brush off criticism as Haters gonna hate is ridiculous. There are serious design flaws with this game.
    Also suggesting no matter what they do haters will hate, again, ridiculous. If it didn't suck, I wouldn't hate it. It does, so I do.
    I've played and enjoyed just about every MMORPG out there. This one is just bad.

I previously stated, there are design choices that some don't like. You obviously don't. So don't play. Not every game is good for everyone. Disliking design choices isn't 'hate' unless you begin bashing anyone that disagrees with you as a fanboi, ignorant or some other disparaging remark.

My 'haters gonna hate' comment wasn't aimed at people who just don't enjoy the game, it was meant for people who, no matter what's done, it's always, always, always TEH WORST THING EVAR!
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Options
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Majority of people complaining now after all the fixes to bots and the such are the F2P crowd and they always want the games to go F2P so they don't have to pay every month. If these are just kiddies unable to get to mommy's CC or people that just hate to pay above the original game purchase who cares.

I love the game and I have never compared games to their originals whither it be Warcraft or Elder Scrolls. MMORPG's are a different animal all together and once you except that you can just sit back and enjoy the adventure.

I always wondered how these new MMORPG player's that came after WoW hit would react to games like EQ or AC, heck even UO (original not care bear version). I do imagine there would be a lot of crying. :-D

p.s.
    I also believe a lot of other online game's send people to post bad stuff about games just to attempt to get people to play their games. It is a big rack it now. And like the Godfather said it's just business.
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
    Options
  • Greanis
    Greanis
    ✭✭✭

That's a terrible argument honestly. You're saying why try to fully experience something past achieving level 5 which honestly shouldn't take very long before you have access to PVP, Dungeons and well most everything because you hate it. Which is fair enough if you don't like the game. But then you go on to say if the game was good you'd be glued to it. Which doesn't make sense. People have different tastes in videogames. Perfect games are terrible to people who don't like those specific types of games or what is in the game, to say "If it were as fun as you say I'd love it too!" Is a downright fallacy.
    Options
  • Greanis
    Greanis
    ✭✭✭
    mriguy1981 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnCIW7JwnVI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

He figured it out in april. The game has a lot of flaws which he names. Bugs, abilities not working, lag and crashes in pvp, the striaght up class in balances, vr content where u play the other factions which make u not care anymore about the story or want to level an alt, and just the illusion that they don't seem to care about their customers or don't know how to.

Things I do like: pvp is fun when it works, even as a nb I find it fun in killing other nbs.
    Maybe like 5 quests that I found funny or actually cared about.

And I'm pretty sure the op is a zenimax employee or someone who hasnot read a single thing on this forum. Really? You gonna sit there and ask the same question over and over again? This game does have its moments but lacks so much that needs to be addressed for me to even want to tell my friends about it.

Which question is that? Asking people to sufficiently explain themselves as to why they like or hate the game?

Options
  • Khami
    Khami
    ✭✭✭✭
    They also think games should be 100% finished and polished at launch.
    Ya? And why not?
    They get away with it because of people like you that are fine with release now-patch later.

Name a MMO with no bugs or issues at launch? ESO is my first MMO from launch and I expected it to be worse than what we got. No queues to log in, ArchAngel players are waiting hours to log in.

Options
  • Crumpy
    Crumpy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Archeage?
    I lyke not this quill.
    Options
  • Thatusernameistaken
    Greanis wrote: »

That's a terrible argument honestly. You're saying why try to fully experience something past achieving level 5 which honestly shouldn't take very long before you have access to PVP, Dungeons and well most everything because you hate it. Which is fair enough if you don't like the game. But then you go on to say if the game was good you'd be glued to it. Which doesn't make sense. People have different tastes in videogames. Perfect games are terrible to people who don't like those specific types of games or what is in the game, to say "If it were as fun as you say I'd love it too!" Is a downright fallacy.

It's not a fallacy at all. I like RPG's. I like MMORPG's. This game fails at both. I don't care to go in to detail with you, but use your bloody head. If I thought it was good, I'd be glued to it. That's not a fallacy.
    Options
  • Greanis
    Greanis
    ✭✭✭

It's not a fallacy at all. I like RPG's. I like MMORPG's. This game fails at both. I don't care to go in to detail with you, but use your bloody head. If I thought it was good, I'd be glued to it. That's not a fallacy.

How does it fail at being an RPG or being an MMORPG exactly? Also technically the way you worded it was if it was good you'd be glued to it implying a universal standard it must meet for you take interest rather then a personal standard.

Edited by Greanis on September 22, 2014 11:52PM
    Options
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some folks think every game sux unless it is some obscure title no one has ever heard of.. I think wow sux was the worst mmo I ever played on so many levels, but that is just my personal opinion, I know millions of people love that game, I am not one of them, I don't go around bashing the game I just live by my own words "Not every game is for everyone"

I like ESO, it is still a young game and going through growing pains like all new games, since it is a game I like I vote with my wallet and stay subbed I want to see the game grow and the company needs revenue to do that, as long as I am enjoying the game, I will support it.
    Edited by kevlarto_ESO on September 23, 2014 1:01AM
    Options
  • Thatusernameistaken
    Some folks think every game sux unless it is some obscure title no one has ever heard of..
    Do you think before you type?

Options
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How does it fail at being an RPG or being an MMORPG exactly? Also technically the way you worded it was if it was good you'd be glued to it implying a universal standard it must meet for you take interest rather then a personal standard.

So because you're not a fan, the game must be sh!t. Cuz you're the be all end all of critics.

Gotcha. I'm pickin up what you're puttin' down. I'm smellin' what you're steppin' in. I GOT YOU HOMIE.

word
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
    Options
  • Thatusernameistaken
    I GOT YOU HOMIE.

word
    You fresh out of high school? Who talks that way?
    You win! you got me! What an awesome game this is. All the negative criticism is nonsense! Best MMO in years!

Options
  • Greanis
    Greanis
    ✭✭✭

So because you're not a fan, the game must be sh!t. Cuz you're the be all end all of critics.

Gotcha. I'm pickin up what you're puttin' down. I'm smellin' what you're steppin' in. I GOT YOU HOMIE.

word

Homies fo life.
    Options
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I GOT YOU HOMIE.

word
    You fresh out of high school? Who talks that way?
    You win! you got me! What an awesome game this is. All the negative criticism is nonsense! Best MMO in years!

The level of chappeau du derrier-erry is astounding.

You fly from 'I barely played this game so it's THE worst thing EVAR!' and bash anyone who asks you to explain why or simply accepts your hyperbole with a simple 'different strokes for different folks ' and then get all manner of ache in the gluteal area because someone got a little playfully dismissive of your attitude.

Son, learn to lighten up.
    Options
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm old, and find youngster-speak (and young'ns in general) irritating.

Of course in all fairness, I didn't care much for kids when I was one.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
    Options
  • Thatusernameistaken
    Azzuria wrote: »
    [

Son,
    lol really?
    "son"? That's jsut sad. You have no idea how old I am. hell chances are good I'm older than you. But I don't know that, so I wouldn't call you "son" cuz I'm I don't use catch phrases and random insults on total strangers. Speaking of different strokes!

You want some reasons? How bout TESO's idea of an auction house. It's the most pathetic thing I've ever seen in a video game.
    Class /spec diversity? lol Right. End game consists of everyone wearing a robe and wielding a staff.
    Tanking: There's no threat in this game. No threat table at all. lol pathetic.
    Can't mail things to your self? WTF is that?
    I can go on but I don't care to.

Options
  • Crumpy
    Crumpy
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is pretty *** to be perfectly objective.
    I lyke not this quill.
    Options
  • Vatter
    Vatter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When beetles fight these battles in a bottle with their paddles
    and the bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles...

...they call this a muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle
    bottle paddle battle.
    Options
  • Crumpy
    Crumpy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only a fool would disagree with that.
    I lyke not this quill.
    Options
  • RazielSR
    RazielSR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Main reason for me is the name. A TES based mmo is a mistake. I think its clear why.

Second reason is ZOS and that they are newbies, or it seems. That is causing the game to be a bugfest.

Third reason is the bad executed solo content and the mistakes on the group content that is just based in what other mmos are based, keep you subbed to win a better armor with nothing more to do in between.

Fourth reason is that ZOS prefers reedit over their own official forum and people gets more information from other forums than here. The whole social thing is not working in a good way regarding ESO.

Fifth reason would be that mmo world is a complete disaster nowadays.
    Edited by RazielSR on September 24, 2014 1:37PM
    Options
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azzuria wrote: »
    [

Son,
    lol really?
    "son"? That's jsut sad. You have no idea how old I am. hell chances are good I'm older than you. But I don't know that, so I wouldn't call you "son" cuz I'm I don't use catch phrases and random insults on total strangers. Speaking of different strokes!

You want some reasons? How bout TESO's idea of an auction house. It's the most pathetic thing I've ever seen in a video game.
    Class /spec diversity? lol Right. End game consists of everyone wearing a robe and wielding a staff.
    Tanking: There's no threat in this game. No threat table at all. lol pathetic.
    Can't mail things to your self? WTF is that?
    I can go on but I don't care to.

Pretty sure you're not older than me, but, hey, what ever. You're probably right and I didn't get an Atari ( before it was called a 2600 ) for Christmas when it was still THE thing to have.

The 'son' was more of a dismissive thing than an actual age thing. And, judging by your wildly exaggerated reaction, it fits.
    Edited by Azzuria on September 24, 2014 3:00PM
    Options
This discussion has been closed.