Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Should ESO have a global trading system

• SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see a hybrid solution (please specify in the comments).
    I made a thread with an idea about letting us post items for sale through our hirelings and having them appear in a random kiosk. For me, I don't give a *** about the prices or having to search kiosk to kiosk. I want to be able to sell things. The current system only allows exclusive rich guilds members to sell things which is totally ***. I'm not participating in any trading until they fix this, (or if I get into a guild with a kiosk, but *** those guilds). From my point of view, the current system is like a corporate takeover of the economy, where only corporations have business locations. It totally undercuts the smaller traders who must slash prices to get rid of things in zone chat, as if having to sell things in zone chat wasn't bad enough already. What a stupid economy. Guilds/ clans/ crews/ groups or whatever you want to call them in a multiplayer game should be a bonus, not a necessity. With the kiosks, they've allowed guilds to take over.
    Edited by SFBryan18 on August 29, 2014 10:09AM
  • ShadowscaleSithis
    ShadowscaleSithis
    ✭✭✭
    For me a Global AH would not be good. I am also not great with words so bare with me.

I would rather see maybe a Faction AH, but not a global. Then the other factions could look for stuff but pay a little more for the Black Market to get that item.

Global is to "every other MMO" to me. I am just a casual gamer, but I believe Zen is trying to not be like every other MMO out there, and they shouldn't.
  • Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    I would prefer a global auctioning house.
    The current system blows... trying to find/buy a specific item is akin to pulling teeth imo. Basically its got to the point where I'd rather rack up another alt so that I can just have all crafts covered and make everything myself rather than try and buy anything from the stores/kiosks
    Swampriel - Nightblade (Archer Build) - Ebonheart Pact - Veteran
    Swampess - DragonKnight - Eboheart Pact - Lowbie Faceroller
  • spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khami wrote: »
    I want a system simialr to SWTORs galactic trade kiosks.

How would that work with one server? SW:TOR has 9 servers. I have alts on three servers and the more populated the server the cheaper the price.

I suppose you want to the cheaper price. I, as a crafter, do not.

Having more players does not necessarily result in cheaper prices. An economy without fragmentation or other impediments just settles to its stable state much quicker. So I assume that the phenomenon you thought you were observing in SW:TOR really is nothing more than that the more populated servers are simply further down the road in terms of the evolution of the economy.

If prices turn out to be too cheap, then we simply need a better crafting model. Impairing the economy is not a good solution. Just to give you an example for a solution: Creating a really good PVP build is not a trivial thing to do. You need to combine the right skills, armor sets, etc. There are a myriad ways you can go and some variants are obviously better than others, while others are just different. If crafting top gear were equally challenging as building a top notch character, then the vast majority would not get to the top tier, just as the vast majority just has a 90% character, not a 100% character. This would open grand possibilities for specialized crafters.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the system as it is now (including the kiosks).
    Athas24 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind doing a faction based global system perhaps with traveling merchants or something. Either that or the merchants need to refund bids that are not won. No auctioneer system in the WORLD operates the way these *** merchant traders do. "I have a painting for sale. . . taking bids" I sell to the highest bidder and keep all of everyone else's bids though? Ya right, somebody would get lynched for that... If the auctioneer is going to keep all the funds it shouldn't be a blind bid. Also, maybe those merchants could travel around a bit or something? That way they aren't stuck in one area. you could just sign up at the bank or on your guild page to buy/rent a merchant and then they would show up in the major towns from time to time in the merchant stall area similar to now only there would maybe be more of them and they would shift around to different towns? They could even post where they will be when on an agenda or something. *shrugs*

If your guild lost a bid and wasn't refunded, have them contact Custumer Support. Losing bids *are* refunded to the guild. The money is just held for the duration of the bidding period and should be back in the Guild Bank when you get the notification that you lost.
    The Moot Councillor
  • spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swampster wrote: »
    The current system blows... trying to find/buy a specific item is akin to pulling teeth imo. Basically its got to the point where I'd rather rack up another alt so that I can just have all crafts covered and make everything myself rather than try and buy anything from the stores/kiosks

I agree. I am already leveling blacksmithing and enchanting with my character (I only have one) and am considering to spend 11 skill points to pull up clothing as well, because I want to try a build with medium armor. I like group play, and I am in three trading guilds and one very social PVP guild, but I don't feel comfortable asking around for favors.

Without a more global (at least zone based) trading post, there is no functioning economy for crafted items. As long as they don't even introduce Buy Orders, I can either spend those skill points myself or simply not try this build. (Trying builds is actually one of the funnest things for me, so not doing would rob me of a major source of enjoyment.)
  • spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    If your guild lost a bid and wasn't refunded, have them contact Custumer Support. Losing bids *are* refunded to the guild. The money is just held for the duration of the bidding period and should be back in the Guild Bank when you get the notification that you lost.
    Are the bidding periods advertised anywhere? I bid on a trader with my guild but got nothing in return. I didn't get a message and I haven't found anything in the guild interface. I have no idea when the bidding phase is over.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spoqster wrote: »
    Are the bidding periods advertised anywhere? I bid on a trader with my guild but got nothing in return. I didn't get a message and I haven't found anything in the guild interface. I have no idea when the bidding phase is over.

The bidding period ends on Mondays at 8am DST (when they start regular maintenance). When you place a bid (or update it), there should be a countdown telling you how many days/hours are left to bid - you can change your bid any time.

If you are the guild master, you should receive an e-mail telling you you lost your bid (and depending on your permissions for members, some of your members may receive it too).

I remember the first week you could bid on traders, we lost a bid we placed, but were lucky to find an out of town trader who was still available for hire. I got an e-mail, even though I'm not the guildmaster, and the money was refunded to the guild bank. There was a thread here in the forums though were some guilds were experiencing a bit of a delay with the funds being returned.

If you didn't get your money back, I would definitely raise it with Customer Support.

The Moot Councillor
  • Xandryah
    Xandryah
    ✭✭✭
    i have more and more the impression that many players that like ESO just like it is, are just defenders of the ES-game-series, but not of this new MMO... i mean, a MMO inevitably has faults and will have to change in the future... It's a dynamic thing..

Also, i'm often comparing ESO with another MMO i know and i can see things that work better in other games...like (imo) a global market...

Maybe it's too soon, because economy is a tricky thing, that may not be balanced and gratifying for all players if not organized and limited well by the developers.. it needs time and maybe there will be globalisation :)

• Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put some responses in bold.

Makkir wrote: »
    -Armor does not break, it is not consumed which means demand is somewhat limited (Once you have your suit of armor you're not going to be replacing it, and for Captain Literal who is likely to respond to this- The exception of course is when there's a raise in level cap or VR rank)
    • Not entirely accurate. Armor breaks in PvE mode.

When I say break, that term comes from my playtime in Starwars Galaxies. Broken gear means you can't repair it. It's garbage. 0 Value and is now vendor fodder and you need to buy a replacement. Armor repairs is the current system, and it's a gold sink. Good gold sink, but it's not what I am talking about.

- NPC's offer you 400 gold per stack of materials meaning a global AH would eventually lower the price per stack to 401gold (You're not very bright if taking this figure literally...realistically the price would be a bit higher taking into consideration the AH cut...so stacks would be priced so the profit is 401g)
      • Here you are stating a likely prediction, not an argument for or against a global AH.
      This statement was actually made and validated by several individuals a long time ago in the original AH thread. We had a couple economic pros (students or grads) agree on this statement and they were on both sides of the argument.

If you can't see the correlation between these bullet points, you're doing it wrong.
      I have no idea what you mean by that. You have not made a argument, other than that you personally like the existing system. Which is cool. I envy you. If that is so, I wonder why you are spending time on this thread rather than playing the game. The reason I am spending time here is because I think the system is so horrible, that I am actively investing time of my life to convince ZOS to change it.

I am in my office ten hours a day, and I cannot play the game from my office so that means lots of forum time. All the "Facts" that were listed (to which you pretty much agreed) are the reasons this game can't support an Auction House.
    Let me try something else for you. Goodyear HAD/HAS the prototype "Lifetime" tire sitting on a shelf in a dark basement locked up for God knows how long. The lifetime tire is a tire that lasts for the life of your vehicle (Doesn't wear with mileage). What would happen to the Tire Industry if the Lifetime tire were allowed on the market? Tires are "consumable" right now, right? The fact is, someone invented the Lifetime Tire and Goodyear paid X amount of dollars for the plans/patent and locked it up in storage for eternity.

Bring that lifetime tire to an Auction House and what you are left with an Auction House filled with regular tires that no one can sell. In ESO, your Gear is the lifetime tire. OK but World of Warcraft has an Auction House that works and gear in WoW is not consumed just like ESO so what's the difference? The difference is the source of that gear. In Warcraft the best gear comes from raiding and is usually bind on pickup (means you can't sell it after you equip it and it's only able to be looted so you can't buy it on an AH). And I have already made the fact that the best gear in ESO comes from crafters. Yes, I understand some sets are looted but that's something to be tweaked in the future (by adding more practical crafted sets). We're always talking about end game here by the way.

Crafted gear comes from materials you harvest out in Tamriel right? Now, imagine all of the above (gear is not consumable like food/potions, everyone has access to one global Auction House) and we are adding a resource to this Auction House that is available in abundance (because resources respawn, and don't forget about all the resource farmers). Due to the fact NPC vendors offer a standard price, no one would list a stack for under 400 gold. This means once there is an abundance on the AH and the under cut war begins, the price will eventually fall to 401 gold (This DOES occur in WoW right now. I am a power seller, 1000+ auctions daily across several toons/accounts). Once the stacks of resources fall in price, so will the price on the upgrade mats (Elegant Linings, tempers, etc) which will increase the availability of purple and yellow gear. Once that gear is available and cheap for everyone, the price will continue to drop as it becomes harder and harder to sell. The only way to combat this of course is to make it consumable, which it currently is not. Also consider the lack of gold sinks at end game. As I mentioned previously, a lot of players are sitting on 100's of thousands of gold with nothing to spend it on. So the added AH will also start to "Devalue" that gold. In other words, the "value" of 1000 gold today will be the same "value" as 10,000 gold in the future.

I have to run right now. Conference calls, etc. It's been fun.

• Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GnatB wrote: »
    And rare items should be just that. RARE. (edit: yeah, I know. week long waits for a spawn WERE bad. but you could also just have a large loot table with the good drop very rare.)

I'm sorry...did you just say Grachnist the Destroyer???? :open_mouth:
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of guild traders, but I agree that the guild store interface needs some major improvements like better filters and search capability.

The guild stores do not work for crafters who are trying to sell crafted items though (other than provisioning and alchemy).

There is just too much variability and customization possible with armor/weapons (style/trait/set/level/quality) that it is impossible to predict what a specific seller wants. So either a system where people looking for crafted items can put in an order specifying exactly what they want and crafters being able to bid on it or a way for crafters to advertise their skills to a limited zone would be a good idea.

one of the reasons I like the guild traders is that I find they fit in with the ethos of the Elder Scrolls games. You've always had to look for stuff. You had to spend skill points to be able to sell anything to any trader rather than just what they actually sold. Being able to go to an AH and instantly find what you want would ruin immersion for me. But again, the current system definitely needs to be refined a bit.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khami wrote: »
    I want a system simialr to SWTORs galactic trade kiosks.

How would that work with one server? SW:TOR has 9 servers. I have alts on three servers and the more populated the server the cheaper the price.

I suppose you want to the cheaper price. I, as a crafter, do not.

Actually I just want the convenience, but I take your point on the price.

I just want a system where I can go to the kiosk, look for what I want, and not have to worry about having missed a Guild seller or two, and know if it's on sale it's there.

Heck, if they just made a huge marketplace in each area so I could go from seller to seller I would be happy.

Yes most people want the AH for this very reason of convenience. He'll it makes everyone's in game life easier. But looking at the bigger picture is rarely taken in to consideration, especially in a game like ESO that revolves around crafters.

By the way, I am TOTALLY in support of your last statement. I mentioned a "bazaar" like feature months ago that parallels the one EverQuest had.
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to make one more point about my stance to ban foreign (chinese) IPs from playing on the NA server IF an Auction House were ever to be taken in to consideration. Take away the gold suppliers and you take away the increased supply of materials.
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GnatB wrote: »
    Personally though, and I've said this before, *buy orders* would be a far more useful thing to add to this game than a Global AH.

WTB Kuta 2k/each...COD me.
    Exists in game already :)
  • spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately I haven't. I always wanted to, but never had the time back then. What happened there?

[Moderator Note: Removed moderated quote.
    Edited by ZOS_LeroyW on August 30, 2014 11:40AM
  • spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The bidding period ends on Mondays at 8am DST (when they start regular maintenance). When you place a bid (or update it), there should be a countdown telling you how many days/hours are left to bid - you can change your bid any time.

If you are the guild master, you should receive an e-mail telling you you lost your bid (and depending on your permissions for members, some of your members may receive it too).

I remember the first week you could bid on traders, we lost a bid we placed, but were lucky to find an out of town trader who was still available for hire. I got an e-mail, even though I'm not the guildmaster, and the money was refunded to the guild bank. There was a thread here in the forums though were some guilds were experiencing a bit of a delay with the funds being returned.

If you didn't get your money back, I would definitely raise it with Customer Support.

Thanks! How is the price evolution going? I bid 100g. I fear that may not be enough. ;-)
    But I'm not ready to accept the kiosks model as another gold sink.
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately I haven't. I always wanted to, but never had the time back then. What happened there?

It went from a sandbox MMO to World of Starwarscraft overnight.
    32 different professions or skill trees were nerfed to like 8 classes almost overnight. We got a news announcement on the forums all hell broke loose.
    I don't know if it would create the same uproar, but imagine later today seeing an Announcement from ZOS that next Tuesday there will be a content patch and players would be capped at 50 skillpoints.

Nostalgic article http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/06/26/a-star-wars-galaxies-history-lesson-from-launch-to-the-nge-5/

[Moderator Note: Removed moderated quote.
    Edited by ZOS_LeroyW on August 30, 2014 11:41AM
  • kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I liked the idea of the kiosks until I saw them in action now I actually hate them. It has made all my trading guilds worthless when they used to be very active. You almost never sell anything even pricing them cheap. You have to spend quite a lot of time to find something at a kiosk and they seem to be driving prices higher instead of down.
  • yiasemi
    yiasemi
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dunno who buys my stuff, but I sell almost all of it. How? Ah yeah, I undercut everyone else. And make a profit. Not into protectionism, I am here to supply my fellow gamers.
  • JessieColt
    JessieColt
    ✭✭✭✭
    UlanX wrote: »
    I would like a global auction house because I believe it brings transparency and competition into the economy.

But a Global AH doesn't bring "transparency" to anything. And the only competition it brings is a race to the bottom.

Global AH's will tank any sense of economy that currently exists in the game. All items will be listed for progressively lower and lower prices until you will start to see some items being sold for less than vendor cost in the race to sell items cheaper than everyone else. In the end, the people who lose out are the sellers.

The only one who wins in a Global AH is the game company by taxing the players for listing the items, removing gold from the system that then has to be earned all over again.

• spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put some responses in bold.

-Armor does not break, it is not consumed which means demand is somewhat limited (Once you have your suit of armor you're not going to be replacing it, and for Captain Literal who is likely to respond to this- The exception of course is when there's a raise in level cap or VR rank)
    • Not entirely accurate. Armor breaks in PvE mode.

When I say break, that term comes from my playtime in Starwars Galaxies. Broken gear means you can't repair it. It's garbage. 0 Value and is now vendor fodder and you need to buy a replacement. Armor repairs is the current system, and it's a gold sink. Good gold sink, but it's not what I am talking about.

- NPC's offer you 400 gold per stack of materials meaning a global AH would eventually lower the price per stack to 401gold (You're not very bright if taking this figure literally...realistically the price would be a bit higher taking into consideration the AH cut...so stacks would be priced so the profit is 401g)
      • Here you are stating a likely prediction, not an argument for or against a global AH.
      This statement was actually made and validated by several individuals a long time ago in the original AH thread. We had a couple economic pros (students or grads) agree on this statement and they were on both sides of the argument.

If you can't see the correlation between these bullet points, you're doing it wrong.
      I have no idea what you mean by that. You have not made a argument, other than that you personally like the existing system. Which is cool. I envy you. If that is so, I wonder why you are spending time on this thread rather than playing the game. The reason I am spending time here is because I think the system is so horrible, that I am actively investing time of my life to convince ZOS to change it.

I am in my office ten hours a day, and I cannot play the game from my office so that means lots of forum time. All the "Facts" that were listed (to which you pretty much agreed) are the reasons this game can't support an Auction House.
    Let me try something else for you. Goodyear HAD/HAS the prototype "Lifetime" tire sitting on a shelf in a dark basement locked up for God knows how long. The lifetime tire is a tire that lasts for the life of your vehicle (Doesn't wear with mileage). What would happen to the Tire Industry if the Lifetime tire were allowed on the market? Tires are "consumable" right now, right? The fact is, someone invented the Lifetime Tire and Goodyear paid X amount of dollars for the plans/patent and locked it up in storage for eternity.

Bring that lifetime tire to an Auction House and what you are left with an Auction House filled with regular tires that no one can sell. In ESO, your Gear is the lifetime tire. OK but World of Warcraft has an Auction House that works and gear in WoW is not consumed just like ESO so what's the difference? The difference is the source of that gear. In Warcraft the best gear comes from raiding and is usually bind on pickup (means you can't sell it after you equip it and it's only able to be looted so you can't buy it on an AH). And I have already made the fact that the best gear in ESO comes from crafters. Yes, I understand some sets are looted but that's something to be tweaked in the future (by adding more practical crafted sets). We're always talking about end game here by the way.

Crafted gear comes from materials you harvest out in Tamriel right? Now, imagine all of the above (gear is not consumable like food/potions, everyone has access to one global Auction House) and we are adding a resource to this Auction House that is available in abundance (because resources respawn, and don't forget about all the resource farmers). Due to the fact NPC vendors offer a standard price, no one would list a stack for under 400 gold. This means once there is an abundance on the AH and the under cut war begins, the price will eventually fall to 401 gold (This DOES occur in WoW right now. I am a power seller, 1000+ auctions daily across several toons/accounts). Once the stacks of resources fall in price, so will the price on the upgrade mats (Elegant Linings, tempers, etc) which will increase the availability of purple and yellow gear. Once that gear is available and cheap for everyone, the price will continue to drop as it becomes harder and harder to sell. The only way to combat this of course is to make it consumable, which it currently is not. Also consider the lack of gold sinks at end game. As I mentioned previously, a lot of players are sitting on 100's of thousands of gold with nothing to spend it on. So the added AH will also start to "Devalue" that gold. In other words, the "value" of 1000 gold today will be the same "value" as 10,000 gold in the future.

I have to run right now. Conference calls, etc. It's been fun.

The way you develop your argument suggests that you are not generally opposed to global trading, it seems you are just worried that it might not be the right fit for this game in particular.

I've written in multiple other comments that adding impediments to an economy is just a means of slowing it down, the mechanics of it derive from the underlying game model, though. So I am afraid that all the issues you mention will surface sooner than later, even with the current system.

I agree that he defragmentation of the economy has to go hand in hand with other gameplay adjustments. I think there is plenty of opportunity for that. ESO will have to evolve - the economy as well as the item model - otherwise the game will die.
  • SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allowing us to send items to random kiosks through our hirelings would be a great compromise between one AH and the limited system they have now.

They could have two sections to buy from in each kiosk:

The guild section which would be bid on and have a greatly reduced selling tax.

And a hireling section, which would have a much higher selling tax.

Players who add a fourth skill point to hirelings could give them a limited number of items from that trade to sell, and set their price, but they would not be told where it was going.
    Edited by SFBryan18 on August 29, 2014 2:56PM
  • GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    especially in a game like ESO that revolves around crafters.

Lolwhat? IMO ESO has one of the worst crafting systems I've seen. If it actually revolves around said crafting, it's time to just pack it up and call it a day.
    BrassRazoo wrote: »
    The price variations of the current Guild Stores is excellent and would be ruined by a Global solution.

See. Jerks who think it's a *good* thing to be able to make money by arbitrage w/o actually providing any real useful service.
    Edited by GnatB on August 29, 2014 4:25PM
    Achievements Suck
  • zdkazz
    zdkazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    do you all know how long a global auction house would take to load? everyone playin the game would be on one auction house there arw no servers, and with 775000 people playing(based on old numbers) can you imagine loadin all that info? all those items? it takes long enough with just 500 people
  • sotonin
    sotonin
    ✭✭✭
    zdkazz wrote: »
    do you all know how long a global auction house would take to load? everyone playin the game would be on one auction house there arw no servers, and with 775000 people playing(based on old numbers) can you imagine loadin all that info? all those items? it takes long enough with just 500 people

Stop using ZOS's *** programmers as an excuse. Guild Wars 2 managed just fine (and they use megaserver as well). They were in the same boat but probably had more people because the game had no subscription cost. There's no technical reason why it can't be done, if ZOS has bad programmers they need to spend some of our money to hire better ones, preferably before a huge chunk of their player base leaves and the economy is in even worse shape.
    Edited by sotonin on August 29, 2014 5:26PM
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't believe most of the people asking for a global auction house understand what they are asking for. I love a good auction house. Let me make that clear. I have played a long list of MMOs and working the auction house is one of my most enjoyable past times. That being said, I hated the Global System in GW2. This is the same system ESO would be forced to use due to the "mega server" design. Below is just one of many examples why. Taken from the GW2 forum.

"The Black Lion Trading Post is a world-wide economy. Not a single-server auction house. The system takes into account all servers. So if a choice handful of Gold Farms create a barrier by placing several thousand items at exactly 1 silver, the rest of the world-wide economy will have little choice but to follow suit and place items at that price. Most people sell rather blindly without searching, so once a sizable enough barrier has been put in place the item will often remain low in price as long as the barrier remains firm enough to overrun the demand of the item. With botters constantly farming and injecting items into the market at 1 silver, the barrier will likely outmatch the demand of any item at any time because bots can farm non-stop while a market can only consume so much at a time.

Meanwhile, rare items are seeing outrageous hikes in price towards 100+ gold, which for many players is not exactly reasonable in price at all. Quickly the economy is starting to become controlled by a small minority of gamers who are exploiting ArenaNet’s lack of ability to stop them from overrunning the system. The engines driving this economic machine are the bots and the countless accounts at the disposal of these Gold Farmers. For many Gold Farmers this is a real life business which is often their one and only income, so they take is business very seriously. They take it far more seriously than most gamers do."

I would just advise that you be careful what you ask for. The grass is seldom any greener on the other side of the fence.

Edited by Alphashado on August 29, 2014 5:40PM
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    How do you use the ignore feature? >:(
  • sotonin
    sotonin
    ✭✭✭
    Alphashado wrote: »
    I don't believe most of the people asking for a global auction house understand what they are asking for. I love a good auction house. Let me make that clear. I have played a long list of MMOs and working the auction house is one of my most enjoyable past times. That being said, I hated the Global System in GW2. This is the same system ESO would be forced to use due to the "mega server" design. Below is just one of many examples why. Taken from the GW2 forum.

"The Black Lion Trading Post is a world-wide economy. Not a single-server auction house. The system takes into account all servers. So if a choice handful of Gold Farms create a barrier by placing several thousand items at exactly 1 silver, the rest of the world-wide economy will have little choice but to follow suit and place items at that price. Most people sell rather blindly without searching, so once a sizable enough barrier has been put in place the item will often remain low in price as long as the barrier remains firm enough to overrun the demand of the item. With botters constantly farming and injecting items into the market at 1 silver, the barrier will likely outmatch the demand of any item at any time because bots can farm non-stop while a market can only consume so much at a time.

Meanwhile, rare items are seeing outrageous hikes in price towards 100+ gold, which for many players is not exactly reasonable in price at all. Quickly the economy is starting to become controlled by a small minority of gamers who are exploiting ArenaNet’s lack of ability to stop them from overrunning the system. The engines driving this economic machine are the bots and the countless accounts at the disposal of these Gold Farmers. For many Gold Farmers this is a real life business which is often their one and only income, so they take is business very seriously. They take it far more seriously than most gamers do."

I would just advise that you be careful what you ask for. The grass is seldom any greener on the other side of the fence.

The same thing happens on WoW auction houses. Yes it's not as many people, but it's still thousands of people. The same thing happens on Guild Stores, people undercut everybody else. The difference is a large amount of people refuse to even use ESO's guild stores because of how terribly inefficient it is. People will game ANY system you create. It's just harder for them to game ESO's current system because of how terrible and fragmented it is. The side affect is it's terrible and hard to find anything useful on the guild stores as well. An economy will not be successful without this key aspect addressed.

On wow, for instance at least you have the option to ignore the folks jacking their prices up on rare items. If you don't buy it, they can't sell it. Simple. Player driven economy. If people are buying it, then who's to say it's not really worth that much? I tire of people arguing this constantly when it's just ridiculous. I for one would rather be able to find what I want when i want it and ignore the people trying to game the system.

There's so many things wrong with the ESO economy it's laughable and every day that goes by that it's ignored is more subs lost.
    Edited by sotonin on August 29, 2014 6:22PM
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Id love to see a hybrid. I saw it mentioned before somewhere, sorry im stealing someones ideA!! Shhhhhh.

But basically like it is now only allow non guild members to list stuff at the kiosk for an increased cut of the sale going to the guild.

It would really make this popular area merchants very important and the bidding on them could get huge. It would also expand the amount of items found in one place and give the non guildies a way to sell.
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on August 29, 2014 6:17PM