Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Skimpy armors

• fiachsidhe
    fiachsidhe
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Asasinka wrote: »
    18 more and we have a draw :D
    c'mon girls, let's show them we love to look sexy even in games :)

That's the saddest thing I've read this week.

First, for the notion that for you as a woman, to be "sexy" you need skimpy clothing.
    Second, that as a woman your ego is so fragile that you need sexual representation in video games among strangers.
    Don't have an intelligent argument? Just LOL a post!

Dire Crow - Ebonheart Pact - Dunmer Nightblade
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    TicToc wrote: »
    The devs sure wasted a lot of programming time if they didn't actually want people to see it.
    Don't wear a chest piece.

As many of us have already said, we aren't looking to wear bikinis, just armor that shows some skin. As I mentioned in previous posts, there is no middle ground with people like yourself. It is fully covered, or nothing at all. You completely ignore anything in between.

Plus, I am thinking that people running around in bikinis would be even less fitting for the lore than properly designed armor sets that show some skin.

Sev wrote: »
    Depends what you mean by skimpy. Bezerker gear (for both sexes), fine. Chainmail bikinis, no.

The key thing is that however much skin it shows, it still has to look like armor. If something looks like it wouldn't stay on you in battle without the aid of double-sided tape (looking at you, Tera), it's not armor.

This I can agree with, and precisely what I was thinking. I believe the OP even clarified this to be his intended meaning in a later post..
    Edited by TicToc on May 26, 2014 2:42AM
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    fiachsidhe wrote: »
    Bhakura wrote: »
    boris_vallejo_psylocke.jpg

is this sexist then?
    Because, dunno bout you, im just an average guy and she looks like she could rip my head off and laugh doing it, just look at those muscles you think she needs a metal plate to protect her when she goes into a frey?
    First thing to pop in my head, "shes friggin badass", and not "so sexist"

As if those two things are mutually exclusive. How come every male nerd who defends sexist art direction or designs has THE worst logic and arguments?

Lets go over the thread and go down the checklist and see how many this thread can meet:
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-8-stupidest-defenses-against-accusations-sexism/

That might have worked if any of those points in the article you linked to where working for what i posted :)
    In fact they actually work for what you say. because i dont go flaming people for illogical male nerds when they dont agree with me. But you do apparently.
    Edited by Bhakura on May 26, 2014 2:41AM
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Aeradon wrote: »

Does it make me weird if... nvm...
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    TheBull wrote: »
    Aeradon wrote: »

Does it make me weird if... nvm...

yea those not the extreme skimpy i want, last one would be ok if it had a but flap :P
    And apart from the fur thing and last one, they totally dont fit in ES lore.
    Like someone else posted earlier, Almalexia is near naked and it fits in lore, Dark Seducer costume fits and its showing alot of skin.
    Why is this such a hard subject?
    Surely there has to be a designer who can incorporate the two without turning the game into a *** peepshow, because thats not what i ask for.

Edited by Bhakura on May 26, 2014 2:48AM
  • Asasinka
    Asasinka
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

First, for the notion that for you as a woman, to be "sexy" you need skimpy clothing.
    Second, that as a woman your ego is so fragile that you need sexual representation in video games among strangers.

Oh man,
    don't be so serious :)
    You know nothing about me
    I'm fighting for a higher purpose
  • fiachsidhe
    fiachsidhe
    ✭✭✭
    No
    boris_vallejo_psylocke.jpg

is this sexist then?
    Because, dunno bout you, im just an average guy and she looks like she could rip my head off and laugh doing it, just look at those muscles you think she needs a metal plate to protect her when she goes into a frey?
    First thing to pop in my head, "shes friggin badass", and not "so sexist"

As if those two things are mutually exclusive. How come every male nerd who defends sexist art direction or designs has THE worst logic and arguments?

Lets go over the thread and go down the checklist and see how many this thread can meet:
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-8-stupidest-defenses-against-accusations-sexism/

That linked might have worked if any of those points in the article you linked to where working for what i posted :)
    In fact they actually work for what you say. because i dont go flaming people for illogical male nerds when they dont agree with me. But you do apparently.

You're pretty much a form of #3.
    Your post was a disingenuous attempt to distance sexist design by shifting focus to how much "ass she kicks". and is that because of her outfit? Or her expression and SWORDS? Her kicking ass has nothing to do with her spandex anyway!

and as far as your pathetic attempt to "turn it around on me". No I'm not like any of those examples. I'm not defending, or endorsing sexist design. So no, calling you a "nerd" does not apply them to me. Hell, I'm a nerd.

Good lord, you only proved my point about bad arguments. First a lame attempt to write off Psyclocke's outfit with kickin' ass, and now a vain attempt to turn my post against me.
    Edited by fiachsidhe on May 26, 2014 2:48AM

• dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    No
    At first, back in beta, I was all in favor of more "skin" being shown in the armor. Included this as a suggestion in many post beta surveys.

Not so much any more. As I have been playing, crafting and looking at esofashion, I've come to like what ZOS is doing with the over all "style".

I would rather ESO not change its internal "style".

If I want a character to show a lot of "skin" all I have to do is unequip.

Edited by dolmen on May 26, 2014 3:01AM
    The Sidekick Order
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Oh ok, for a minute there i thought i read:
    How come every male nerd who defends sexist art direction or designs has THE worst logic and arguments?

Since you used that line quoting me, you see me as an illogical sexist defender nerd ... or something.
    But hey all good, you are entitled to your opinions as everyone else. Seeing things differently doesnt make everyone illogical sexist nerds however.
    And yes i still think Psylocke in that drawing by Boris Vallejo is far from sexist, it elevates the female body even more where it already was one of natures most beautiful things, if you cant see that and call it sexist, its your opinion, but you are missing the point of it.

Come to think of it, female bodies have been drawn and painted nude since there was drawing and paintings. Weird huh?
    Edited by Bhakura on May 26, 2014 2:58AM
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    dolmen wrote: »
    At first, back in beta, I was all in favor of more "skin" being shown in the armor. Included this as a suggestion in many post beta surveys.

Not so much any more. As I have been playing, crafting and looking at esofashion, I've come to like what ZOS is doing with the over all "style".

I would rather ESO not change its internal "style".

If I want a character to show a lot of "skin" all I have to do is unequip.

And you miss the point. Unequiping shows a bikini/bra and panties. That is not what most are looking for. There is no reason why they can't make armor that fits the overall style while showing some skin. Again, why does it have to be all or nothing with some of you?
  • fiachsidhe
    fiachsidhe
    ✭✭✭
    No

Oh man,

I know you're rooting for a forum poll about skimpy armor to support skimpier armor, and I know you are rooting for women to be sexy in game in the very same thread. So unless you were lying or being sarcastic, I know enough.

• Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Oh man,

I know you're rooting for a forum poll about skimpy armor to support skimpier armor, and I know you are rooting for women to be sexy in game in the very same thread. So unless you were lying or being sarcastic, I know enough.

Why is it that all who vote no are going so berserk on people that vote yes?

Seem to have kicked the hornets nest with this poll :O

Edited by Bhakura on May 26, 2014 3:13AM
  • Milanna
    Milanna
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Laura wrote: »

(following not directed at quoted post) guys stop acting like this is a crusade.. if its optional its not a big deal. If you guys want to help the feminist movement I can give you a list of things we need help with.

So, you don´t think computer games has an impact on attitudes?

They do.

You might not want "white knights". But I would appreciate if you would refrain from speaking for all women (which you did in an earlier post). Speak for you.

Are you at all familiar with feminism?
    Advocating sexualizing women in computer games are most likely not on the to do list.
    EU-server
    Mila the True (Aldmeri Dominion)
    Milanna the Cold-hearted (Aldmeri Dominion)
    Raphael the Cunning (Ebonheart Pact)

NA-server
    Cassius Tanicius (Daggerfall Covenant)

I just found garlic, you blood-suckers better stay clear
  • fiachsidhe
    fiachsidhe
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Oh ok, for a minute there i thought i read:
    How come every male nerd who defends sexist art direction or designs has THE worst logic and arguments?

Since you used that line quoting me, you see me as an illogical sexist defender nerd ... or something.
    But hey all good, you are entitled to your opinions as everyone else. Seeing things differently doesnt make everyone illogical sexist nerds however.
    And yes i still think Psylocke in that drawing by Boris Vallejo is far from sexist, it elevates the female body even more where it already was one of natures most beautiful things, if you cant see that and call it sexist, its your opinion, but you are missing the point of it.

Come to think of it, female bodies have been drawn and painted nude since there was drawing and paintings. Weird huh?

Or something. See you really don't understand what I'm calling you out on, and feel the need to pad it with a few extra insults to make me look worse. My point stands. You have no good argument.

And to continue your running streak of terrible logical fallacies and strawman arguments, we have a CLASSIC! The whole nude paintings exist so armor should be skankafied in the games I play.

Excellent work. You haven't a single argument that hasn't been copy pasted by every other gamer defending one sided, fetishized depictions of women in their preferred medium. I loved how you thought you had one of those "ah HA!" moments. Yes, classical art, or body studies, are every bit the same as making your little cartoon character dress more provocatively for your enjoyment. Because you can't seem to handle a female lead unless they also give you a semi chub.
    Edited by fiachsidhe on May 26, 2014 3:17AM

• NakedSnake
    NakedSnake
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Would love some Sai Sahan armor Sai_Sahan.png

SMH ...why does this type of request always come down to sexism?
    Get over yourselves.
    Edited by NakedSnake on May 26, 2014 3:20AM
    "Brilliant! Why is it that the people with the most ridiculous ideas are always the ones who are most certain of them?"
  • Fruity_Ninja
    Fruity_Ninja
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes.

Because player choice, it doesn't affect me. Might be immersion breaking if it was proper bikinis etc, rather than just a bit of skin. However if made available, it should be for both female and male characters to show some skin
  • Vorkk8383
    Vorkk8383
    ✭✭✭
    No
    With the female Skimpy Outfits, what I've noticed is that it's mostly males playing them. Women laugh at it in most cases. This is an MMO and you kill stuff. You need to wear armor and be covered. Who'd go to war wearing a bra and panties? If it turns you on, join the army and go fight in your skivvies, boys!

I'd love to know the gender of those saying yes and what gender they will play in those skimpy outfits. I'm pretty sure that they won't be females playing male toons in their undies.

It doesn't make sense to me to have skampy outfits. You're FIGHTING. If you need to see toons dressed like skanks, there are websites for that. I'm a guy but also a feminist. There's tons of different kinds of feminism and mine is about equality. Women who play this game and remember that we have teenagers as well, should know that they are equal fighters. They have the same skills, the same opportunities. Watching skanky dressed characters mainly played by males as their fantasies isn't my idea of equality. We may as well not have any female heroes and have them stay inside and make you a sandwich while dressed like a nurse. A LOT of women play video games. You'd be surprised by the stats. A lot of them need to feel good about themselves. Stay at home moms who have time to kill before the kids come home. Business women who need to relax after a long day at the office. They are just like us, guys. They want to come on here and kick some ass. They don't want to be skanks. If you need to be one so badly, ask for them to give you male assless chaps.
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Why is it that all who vote no are going so berserk on people that vote yes?

Seem to have kicked the hornets nest with this poll :O
    First of all, no one is "going berserk." That's just you using inflated rhetoric in an attempt to diminish our arguments, and it's not going to work.

Secondly, people who voted "no" are posting passionately about the topic because this is something that literally every other RPG does. It ruins our immersion and we typically can never escape it. Now we've found a game with developers that (hopefully) agree with our views and you want to do the same here, too.
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Weird, the only one insulting is you. And maybe every single thing ive sayed looks like copy paste maybe because thats the nature of the thing?
    Like everything else art evolves, they find new technics to make the things they draw more realistic, and before you start, no superheroins with insane voluptuous bodies are not realistic, but far more realistic then the renaissance woman painted.
    Like anyone feeling outmatched you just turn words around to fit your arguments. I never said
    The whole nude paintings exist so armor should be skankafied in the games I play.
    you did that, and in your version it works, but its not the issue at all, since i never stated that. All i said was woman have been drawn nude for ages, designing armors is artwork, how is combining the two a work of a sexist nerd.
    Yes, classical art, or body studies, are every bit the same as making your little cartoon character dress more provocatively for your enjoyment.

Well forgive me for adoring the female form for what it is, i still dont see how that is sexist.
  • Starlifter88
    Yes
    NakedSnake wrote: »
    Would love some Sai Sahan armor Sai_Sahan.png

SMH ...why does this type of request always come down to sexism?
    Get over yourselves.

I would love this kind of armor. There is a vast middle ground of options that seems to be deliberately avoided. For a rated M source of entertainment, this seems somewhat mundane. Killing is OK, showing the calf or abs is not.
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Well forgive me for adoring the female form for what it is, i still dont see how that is sexist.
    That's like, the prototypical example of sexism.
  • Millionaires
    Millionaires
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    As long as it's for males too. Unisex skimpy armour, yes please.
  • Asasinka
    Asasinka
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

Oh man,

Then, in all Your wisdom, You miss one important thing.
    The assumptions You made make sense only within Your own intellectual context.
    The reason is that when you read something, you sense word meaning in your own context and make assumptions depending on your own experiences which you then assemble into your own meaning of reality.
    If You're tagging people just because You think You understand their behavior then You're nothing more than the people You tag.
    If You was able to understand the others, You'll more observe than make assumptions. Just because You'd know all the circumstances that lead to this behavior and in that case You don't have any reason to do any assumptions.
    I'm fighting for a higher purpose
  • Milanna
    Milanna
    ✭✭✭
    No

Please don´t adore me that way, I find it creepy.
    Edited by Milanna on May 26, 2014 3:36AM
    EU-server
    Mila the True (Aldmeri Dominion)
    Milanna the Cold-hearted (Aldmeri Dominion)
    Raphael the Cunning (Ebonheart Pact)

NA-server
    Cassius Tanicius (Daggerfall Covenant)

I just found garlic, you blood-suckers better stay clear
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    That's like, the prototypical example of sexism.

from wiki:
    Sexism or gender discrimination is prejudice or discrimination based on a person's sex or gender. Sexist attitudes may stem from traditional stereotypes of gender roles, and may include the belief that a person of one sex is intrinsically superior to a person of the other.

So liking the female form is discriminating, prejudiced, stereotyped and believing it to be superior to that of male form?
    Im way confused now.
    I know im not english so perhaps im not understanding it correctly ...

• Bolo_Bob
    Bolo_Bob
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    i voted yes.

as in, it should be available like a custom texture mod.
    like skyrim in a way, where we could add in mods for what we wanted.

at least if there were texture addons other people wouldnt be affected if they didnt want to see it.
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Milanna wrote: »

Please don´t adore me that way, I find it creepy.

yes well, cant explain better, has nothing to do with being creepy :D

• greeat-scottb14_ESO
    No
    armor mods are cool - skimpy armor mods are better - fan boys with female toons (cough,cough)
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    No
    @TicToc - Well I can see how what I wrote could be read as "all or nothing".

That isn't my attitude on this though. I like the style ZOS has created and changed my mind on having more a more "skimpy" style present as I have played.

If ZOS does decide to change the "style" to more "skimpy", I'm not going to object. But, for now, as things stand, I'm satisfied with the present selections.
    The Sidekick Order
  • stabbykitteh
    stabbykitteh
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    So liking the female form is discriminating, prejudiced, stereotyped and believing it to be superior to that of male form?
    Im way confused now.
    I know im not english so perhaps im not understanding it correctly ...

No, there's nothing wrong with admiring the female form (or the male form, thankfully). It's reducing women to an object that increases in value by revealing more skin that's objectionable to some.
This discussion has been closed.