Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Skimpy armors

• Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    boris_vallejo_psylocke.jpg

is this sexist then?
    Because, dunno bout you, im just an average guy and she looks like she could rip my head off and laugh doing it, just look at those muscles you think she needs a metal plate to protect her when she goes into a frey?
    First thing to pop in my head, "shes friggin badass", and not "so sexist"
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    If you don't understand that a fantasy world needs to obey its own established rules, then you have no business posting in this topic.

Eivar wrote: »
    seems like you don't understand the context. we're talking tolkein-esque fantasy realms, not that fantasy you have of mila kunis sitting in your lap.

What rules? I'm pretty sure that there are no fantasy rules about the conservativeness of what people wear. Tolkein didn't make up rules, he wrote a story. In his story people wore...whatever it is that they wore. That is irrelevant to any other person's stories.

The world is full of people that dress and act differently from each other. You want realism? That is the reality. People look, dress, and act differently than you do. It would be highly realistic to see that diversity in the game.
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    You might have a better argument if she wasn't essentially wearing a thong.
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    TicToc wrote: »
    If you don't understand that a fantasy world needs to obey its own established rules, then you have no business posting in this topic.

seems like you don't understand the context. we're talking tolkein-esque fantasy realms, not that fantasy you have of mila kunis sitting in your lap.

What rules? I'm pretty sure that there are no fantasy rules about the conservativeness of what people wear. Tolkein didn't make up rules, he wrote a story. In his story people wore...whatever it is that they wore. That is irrelevant to any other person's stories.

The world is full of people that dress and act differently from each other. You want realism? That is the reality. People look, dress, and act differently than you do. It would be highly realistic to see that diversity in the game.

Agreed. Lore friendly yes?
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
  • HandofBane
    HandofBane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Eorea wrote: »
    I'd have voted yes if the implication was not meant only for females. All armor should be equally skimpy on males and females. I want my manflesh in adhesive *** pasties, too.

Provisioning allows us to craft Venison Pasties. Would wearing those as armor be a fair compromise for both genders? o:)
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Laura wrote: »
    Always appreciated that Bethesda managed to skip the chain-mail bikini thing in TES (for the most part) and am happy ZOS followed suit.

IS THAT SO?

Elder_Scrolls_Arena_Cover.jpg

Best reply ever.

You need to add an option for: "I could really care less."

Honestly, I won't wear them as I sort of like the in-game armors (looking forward to the alluded to dyeing/coloring functionality in the future but still I like them as they are).

But if someone else wants to run around Tamriel, warding off evil and overcoming Molag Bal in nothin' but their underooos, let them have at it.

MB

Edited by MaxBat on May 25, 2014 10:35PM
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • HandofBane
    HandofBane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    You might have a better argument if she wasn't essentially wearing a thong.

Are you kidding? Have you ever tried doing a split-kick in granny panties?
  • Eivar
    Eivar
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

So you seem to have missed my point COMPLETELY.

I mentioned tolkein as a way to show the differences context makes when using the word fantasy. A tolkein-esque world is a world of "High fantasy" with things like magic and elves, etc etc. Not "hey you shut up tolkein said no skimpy armor!" The argument is that in a world where people need armor to protect themselves.....you need armor to protect yourself. if the answer is simply i gotz magic ahrmur spellz, then no one would need to wear armor, and it wouldn't exist. Since the ES world has armor, that obviously isn't the case.
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

External Consistency: Consistency with the real world.
    The fictional universe is Like Reality Unless Noted. Violations of external consistency are "unrealistic."

You mean to tell me there's nobody in the real world that puts on skimpy dresses?

*edit* Just so you could read what @TicToc wrote. Read before you reply.
    The world is full of people that dress and act differently from each other. You want realism? That is the reality. People look, dress, and act differently than you do. It would be highly realistic to see that diversity in the game.[/quote]
    Edited by Aeradon on May 25, 2014 10:42PM

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

• Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Japanese rpgs are that-a way ---->
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • HandofBane
    HandofBane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

You are demanding consistency in a game where the lore outright conflicts with lore from previous games in multiple places, including the alliances (Dunmer freed their Argonian slaves just to work together to take the throne in Cyrodiil for the High King of Skyrim?), the implication that Dagoth Ur has already come around preventing AlmSiVi from accessing the Heart of Lorkhan, stating outright that the Lusty Argonian Maid wasn't actually written by Crassius Curio during the Third Era, and many other discrepancies both minor and major. Really?
  • Eivar
    Eivar
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Aeradon wrote: »

The fictional universe is Like Reality Unless Noted. Violations of external consistency are "unrealistic."

You mean to tell me there's nobody in the real world that puts on skimpy dresses?

so you're implying there is a secret clan of bikini clad ninjas out there wading into combat wearing 3 cloth triangles and some string?
    Edited by Eivar on May 25, 2014 10:40PM
  • Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Well, there is a HUGE difference between these two:

- Slutty skimpy outfits (ie every Asian MMO in existance)

- Just showing some skin (ie western MMOs).

As an example, skimpy armor that's seem to consist of fishscales and spider webs (random Tera armor I browsed for):
    http://tera-online.cc/gallery/castanic-fl/3728-castanic_f_l17.html

Showing some pretty boob skin yet still being a very beefy outfit (GW2 Nord cultural armor):
    http://www.gw2armor.com/norn/female/c2/light/display_looks.php

So which is this poll about?

Apparently and im guessing here you want lore appropriate armor,

if you took the time to read Tera lore you'd know why Castanics both males and females where armor that isnt ESO lore friendly
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

You read the one part of that page that doesn't apply to the topic. Read the others.
    You are demanding consistency in a game where the lore outright conflicts with lore from previous games in multiple places, including the alliances (Dunmer freed their Argonian slaves just to work together to take the throne in Cyrodiil for the High King of Skyrim?), the implication that Dagoth Ur has already come around preventing AlmSiVi from accessing the Heart of Lorkhan, stating outright that the Lusty Argonian Maid wasn't actually written by Crassius Curio during the Third Era, and many other discrepancies both minor and major. Really?
    Those are retcons, and are entirely different from internal consistency.
    Edited by Maverick827 on May 25, 2014 10:46PM
  • Eivar
    Eivar
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Arreyanne wrote: »
    Well, there is a HUGE difference between these two:

- Slutty skimpy outfits (ie every Asian MMO in existance)

- Just showing some skin (ie western MMOs).

As an example, skimpy armor that's seem to consist of fishscales and spider webs (random Tera armor I browsed for):
    http://tera-online.cc/gallery/castanic-fl/3728-castanic_f_l17.html

Showing some pretty boob skin yet still being a very beefy outfit (GW2 Nord cultural armor):
    http://www.gw2armor.com/norn/female/c2/light/display_looks.php

So which is this poll about?

Apparently and im guessing here you want lore appropriate armor,

if you took the time to read Tera lore you'd know why Castanics both males and females where armor that isnt ESO lore friendly

on a side note, could you link the lore you refer to? i'd love to see how a game explained it, i've never played tera so i'm a bit dubious on where to look.
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

so you're implying there is a secret clan of bikini clad ninjas out there wading into combat wearing 3 cloth triangles and some string?

Have you been to the Amazon? Did you know some amazonian tribes are still cut off from the world? They fight naked, they hunt naked. After all these years, they're still, naked.

• Eorea
    Eorea
    ✭✭✭
    No
    HandofBane wrote: »
    Eorea wrote: »
    I'd have voted yes if the implication was not meant only for females. All armor should be equally skimpy on males and females. I want my manflesh in adhesive *** pasties, too.

Provisioning allows us to craft Venison Pasties. Would wearing those as armor be a fair compromise for both genders? o:)

There's nothing better than a man with more meat.

In his wardrobe, of course.
  • Eivar
    Eivar
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

Have you been to the Amazon? Did you know some amazonian tribes are still cut off from the world? They fight naked, they hunt naked. After all these years, they're still, naked.

what are their mortality rates like? do they have massive battles over territory with large armies? do they siege keeps, use flaming oil and other nastiness on eadch other?
  • Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    35682-2-1368617861.jpg

This is what my Assassin wears in Skyrim

However that aint my character
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    You read the one part of that page that doesn't apply to the topic. Read the others.

Are there specific lines that I'm supposed to read, and specific lines that I'm supposed to skip because you want me to? And I'm wrong if I do not follow your rules?

So the article you posted has valid and invalid points? So how trustworthy is that article if it contradicts itself?
    Edited by Aeradon on May 25, 2014 10:51PM

• Asasinka
    Asasinka
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

I mentioned tolkein as a way to show the differences context makes when using the word fantasy. A tolkein-esque world is a world of "High fantasy" with things like magic and elves, etc etc. Not "hey you shut up tolkein said no skimpy armor!" The argument is that in a world where people need armor to protect themselves.....you need armor to protect yourself. if the answer is simply i gotz magic ahrmur spellz, then no one would need to wear armor, and it wouldn't exist. Since the ES world has armor, that obviously isn't the case.

OK, go tell it to Gandalf, that his armor is not enough metalic and that if you would you can hit him anytime.
    Noone says the magic armor is widely available so everyone will be using it.
    I'm fighting for a higher purpose
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

what are their mortality rates like? do they have massive battles over territory with large armies? do they siege keeps, use flaming oil and other nastiness on eadch other?

1. They are still alive. And population grows despite migration outwards and zero influx.
    2. Does wearing skimpy clothes means you need to engage in massive battles and siege keeps with flaming oil and nastiness? If flaming oil is your concern, I highly doubt that armour of yours could help you, it would in fact act as an oven, and your skin in contact with metal would receive burns. The flames might even get in and you have fire within.

• Arsvita
    Yes
    Skimpy armors
    BhakuraBhakura
    Skimpy armors 199 votes
    Yes ... 45%
    No .... 54%
    Eorea wrote:
    No
    I'd have voted yes if the implication was not meant only for females
    Where, please show me, does it state, claim, or even suggest that the "skimpy" outfit is for Females Only? The "implication" is from your own mind.
    Eivar wrote:
    BUT, This isn't Tolkein, Middle Earth, nor is it LoTR.
    It's simply choice for some people to have other styles, beyond the few motifs we already have, for their gear.
  • Eivar
    Eivar
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Asasinka wrote: »

OK, go tell it to Gandalf, that his armor is not enough metalic and that if you would you can hit him anytime.

lol gandalf has nothing to do with TES, that's a different world with it's own rules....but if you read the books he does very little direct combat, so why would he need armor?

I guess I should quote myself:

The argument is that in a world where people need armor to protect themselves.....you need armor to protect yourself.

that world i'm talking about there, thats the ES universe, where people need armor.
    Edited by Eivar on May 25, 2014 10:58PM
  • Mataata
    Mataata
    ✭✭✭
    I like the skimpy stuff as long as it's intended as a joke, like in Dragon Quest where panties give more defense than chainmail leggings.

Otherwise I don't really have an opinion on this. My lezzy side says yes, my feminist side says no. If you really want skimpy, use Argonian armor on a human.
    Edited by Mataata on May 25, 2014 10:59PM
    I love the Power Glove! It's so bad!
    i also do art and stuff i guess, here's my twitter
  • Eivar
    Eivar
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Arsvita wrote: »
    Skimpy armors
    BhakuraBhakura
    Skimpy armors 199 votes
    Yes ... 45%
    No .... 54%
    Eorea wrote:
    No
    Where, please show me, does it state, claim, or even suggest that the "skimpy" outfit is for Females Only? The "implication" is from your own mind.
    Eivar wrote:
    BUT, This isn't Tolkein, Middle Earth, nor is it LoTR.
    It's simply choice for some people to have other styles, beyond the few motifs we already have, for their gear.

it's amazing how you can cherry pick one phrase and make an assumption about hwat i was talking about, try rereading that a few times if it's difficult.
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Asasinka wrote: »

lol gandalf has nothing to do with TES, that's a different world with it's own rules....but if you read the books he does very little direct combat, so why would he need armor?

I guess I should quote myself:

The argument is that in a world where people need armor to protect themselves.....you need armor to protect yourself.

that world i'm talking about there, thats the ES universe, where people need armor.

Did anyone specify that Skimpy Armor excludes Light Armor of which does not involve *much direct combat?

*edit
    Edited by Aeradon on May 25, 2014 11:03PM

• HandofBane
    HandofBane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

But people here don't need armor. We have Bound Armor spells available, and jewelry enchants that increase armor protections...
  • Eorea
    Eorea
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Arsvita wrote: »
    Skimpy armors
    BhakuraBhakura
    Skimpy armors 199 votes
    Yes ... 45%
    No .... 54%
    Eorea wrote:
    No

:P You just don't like that more of us voted no.
This discussion has been closed.