Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Rapid gear decay

• Guldendraak
    Guldendraak
    ✭✭
    Corithna wrote: »

However I do think that the relative level of the mobs you are fighting can make a difference in what is going on. This may seem like a tenuous distinction, but it is an important one for any player honestly thinking that every time they gain exp that their gear will take damage. Rather I think this is a rant by those who want to take on content that is far removed from their own level and are thereby paying the price in repair bills.

I'm going to have to stop you right there.. I'm fighting mobs within a couple of levels of my own (plus or minus) and can still find, after a 2/3 hour session of play, be at 0% durability. My Templar is at VR3 and I've been leveling since early release so I'm definitely not a fast leveler.

I think you'll find many of the other people with this bug doing the same - we're not ranting because we want to power level grinding higher level mobs, we want an explanation as to how the decay mechanic works as, based on your experience, we're seeing something completely different when we play.

We're also concerned, that based on our current experiences, that if the rate of decay continue as they are now, we're going to find end-game play impossible because it's not going to be easy to simply replace the gear as we did whilst leveling to try and keep the repair costs down.

I'm glad you're finding everything okay.. Great for you.. The truth is that I'm not having a great time with the rate my gear durability goes from 100% to 0% during a couple of hours of play time.

• Woogawoman
    Woogawoman
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the next step in tracking down what's happening is trying to figure out why it varies. Perhaps those who are investigating could also report things like:
    • Which region they are in
    • Which enemies are causing decay from XP
    • Which specific items were being crafted when the decay was noted
    • Et cetera

Perhaps we can determine if there's a common thread to why it's affecting some folks but not others - and even for those affected, not doing so consistently.
    Aetherium Oblivion Alliance - 40+ Mature Gamers Guild (NA)
  • ToneFish
    ToneFish
    I can verify that there really seems to be an issue here. I am always monitoring durability at regular intervals, especially if I die. I have one epic belt that I actually spend money on repairing and after dying once I recorded that it was down to 75% durability. 10 minutes later just handing in the quest I was doing, no additional deaths, I checked again in the belt was at 0% durability along with all other armor pieces. Something is definitely wrong.

I was in Reaper's March at the Vile Manse, the only possible idea I have is that there is a very long fall into water. If there durability loss is calculated depending on how long you fall, regardless of how you land then that could explain it.
    Edited by ToneFish on 4 May 2014 00:45
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woogawoman wrote: »
    Sounds like the next step in tracking down what's happening is trying to figure out why it varies. Perhaps those who are investigating could also report things like:
    • Which region they are in
    • Which enemies are causing decay from XP
    • Which specific items were being crafted when the decay was noted
    • Et cetera

Perhaps we can determine if there's a common thread to why it's affecting some folks but not others - and even for those affected, not doing so consistently.
    • All regions seem to be affected.
    • There does not appear to be any pattern, as specific enemies will cause egregious gear decay on one character but not on another while they're in the same party. This means the mob itself is unlikely to be the source.
    • The damage from crafting bug isn't one I've seen, so I can't really weigh in. I kind of wonder if it occurs when a player is still in a party with a friend, but not in the same area, so they're actually receiving combat XP. But, that's speculation, and it wouldn't explain someone's weapons getting damaged... that was weird.
  • Origin
    Origin
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed the gear decay is too quick on one hand, and the repair costs too high on the other hand. This would need balancing.

Gear repairing by crafters is a good idea for an improvement, but the decay / repair costs fixing is still required
  • Zirq
    Zirq
    ✭✭
    • There does not appear to be any pattern, as specific enemies will cause egregious gear decay on one character but not on another while they're in the same party. This means the mob itself is unlikely to be the source.
    • The damage from crafting bug isn't one I've seen, so I can't really weigh in. I kind of wonder if it occurs when a player is still in a party with a friend, but not in the same area, so they're actually receiving combat XP. But, that's speculation, and it wouldn't explain someone's weapons getting damaged... that was weird.

I can weigh in on the crafting thing. Both my friend and I were crafting, no others in the party, so no one was in combat. He took durability loss while crafting, while I did not. So combat XP isn't a part of it (or at least not always). No fall damage was taken either, I might add.

• pokebreaker
    pokebreaker
    ✭✭✭
    Following this thread now, because this has been a big issue for me. Maybe i'll use the last days of my subscription to test out some different situations, to add to the research. Sadly, it would be more entertaining than actually playing the game for it's content...
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zirq wrote: »

I can weigh in on the crafting thing. Both my friend and I were crafting, no others in the party, so no one was in combat. He took durability loss while crafting, while I did not. So combat XP isn't a part of it (or at least not always). No fall damage was taken either, I might add.
    Well... there goes that theory. :|

*scampers off to the drawing board*
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

When you kill a mob it isn't the act of gaining xp that does it - it's just that you killed a mob within level range of your character. Mobs within level range drop loot, and this item decay is really just a tax on gaining loot.

This became clear when I got to VR1 and killed L50 mobs, and while they don't give xp, they do drop items because they're within level range to drop, and they also do cause gear decay when you kill them.

Basically this is a tax on gaining items/gold/loot...so it's possible that when someone crafts and gains an item or more, the game might think they've gained too much loot and tax them for it through some glitch in the code.

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    babylon wrote: »

When you kill a mob it isn't the act of gaining xp that does it - it's just that you killed a mob within level range of your character. Mobs within level range drop loot, and this item decay is really just a tax on gaining loot.

This became clear when I got to VR1 and killed L50 mobs, and while they don't give xp, they do drop items because they're within level range to drop, and they also do cause gear decay when you kill them.

Basically this is a tax on gaining items/gold/loot...so it's possible that when someone crafts and gains an item or more, the game might think they've gained too much loot and tax them for it through some glitch in the code.

If that's the case, it should be easy to test. I'm working at the moment, but if someone wants to take a massively overleveleled character to one of the tier 1 zones and hunt wolves for rawhide, it would let us know if you're right.

If you are, the system's even more bjorked than I thought.
    Edited by starkerealm on 4 May 2014 09:15
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If that's the case, it should be easy to test. I'm working at the moment, but if someone wants to take a massively overleveleled character to one of the tier 1 zones and hunt wolves for rawhide, it would let us know if you're right.

Your massively overlevelled character will get no gear decay at all from killing those low level mobs.

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your massively overlevelled character will get no gear decay at all from killing those low level mobs.

I know. That's the weird thing though, isn't it? If it's drop based, and not combat XP, you should see some deterioration for the rawhide drops. We are seeing durability drops for at level leather drops, so, if's really drops, you'll see a little degradation from hunting. If it's combat XP based, you won't. Unless of course there's some hard coded, fail safe in the durability system. And, XP, drops, and ultimate generation all noticing that the target is more than five levels lower than you independently.
  • OneEyedKing
    Are folks who believe they are experiencing higher-than-normal decay rates submitting reports through /bug? This sounds like an issue where character data would be needed to fix it, especially if it is happening inconsistently.
  • Arwyn
    Arwyn
    ✭✭✭
    Just in a solo dungeon, killed a set of 3 mobs at a gold cost of 17 gold in repairs. They looted 6g. I cant believe this is intended.
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    Sill adventuring naked. Still avoiding 1k/hour in repair costs. Life is good!

Keep up the punitive mechanics, Zenimax. Almost all the good players are gone. Just a few more days, and the bad players will be gone too.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I don't know what this whinge is...
    It's an archaic form of "to whine"...
    Actually there is a slight difference between Whine and Whinge, to whine is to complain a lot, to Whinge is to complain with a solid foundation for the complaint. Not that the person using the term was necessarily using it in that way.

Also Whinge is still used in the North of England.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    i believe there is a miscalculation in the code somewhere and they will fix it once they have addressed the other bugs/glitches that are priority

I noticed my repair bills have gone down now that I am using more ranged kiting techniques rather than melee, but that doesnt address the bizarre degradation documented by posters earlier. there is something very wrong with the code
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • Juponen
    Juponen
    ✭✭✭
    Recently I went through a wayshrine in Stormhaven to travel to Wayrest. When I arrived and checked my inv in preparation for some crafting I noticed that the info screen(s) had red borders, as it has when you are in combat. Since I was wearing my best armor I did not want to experiment whether my armor would be expensively ruined, though it did cross my mind.

Relog cleared the problem.

It could have just a graphical bug but considering some posts earlier and the condition flagging problems (conditions stick) that this game has suffered I thought I would share this in case someone else can reproduce it.

Oh, and I was not in a group and had not been in combat for quite a while before teleporting.

Edit: went through the same wayshrine (Wind Keep) again and took note. There's a questline combat area nearby and it apparently marks nearby players to be in combat if someone is doing that quest stage as you go to wayshrine.
    And the condition did stick on me again.

Edited by Juponen on 4 May 2014 20:03
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    reggielee wrote: »
    i believe there is a miscalculation in the code somewhere and they will fix it once they have addressed the other bugs/glitches that are priority

I noticed my repair bills have gone down now that I am using more ranged kiting techniques rather than melee, but that doesnt address the bizarre degradation documented by posters earlier. there is something very wrong with the code

Avoiding taking damage actually does nothing. You can kill mobs around your level range endlessly while taking no damage at all, and you will still get a repair bill. If your repair bills are less this way it's most likely because you are simply taking more time to kill running around like that, so basically killing less and looting less because of it.
  • Arwyn
    Arwyn
    ✭✭✭
    reggielee wrote: »

Avoiding taking damage actually does nothing. You can kill mobs around your level range endlessly while taking no damage at all, and you will still get a repair bill. If your repair bills are less this way it's most likely because you are simply taking more time to kill running around like that, so basically killing less and looting less because of it.

I wonder if the lesser bills may be linked to not getting more finesse through ranged combat, getting finesse through melee is decidedly easier in some cases.
  • Asava
    Asava
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt that. My sorc has had numerous 1500-2000g repair bills .
  • Arwyn
    Arwyn
    ✭✭✭
    I have requested an update on my ticket, sadly it seems killing a mob provides far less loot than the repair costs you get. Quite depressing at times. If I get an update I will update here......(hey is that a pig flying overhead?)
  • martinb16_ESO80
    Hi guys! I too see the ridiculous gear decay on occasion. I have difficulties working out what causes it, but as I do not see the same on my other chars, one main differences between those alts and my main: I have the boon of Mara and I always group with my friend on that toon.

However, yesterday evening I did a few low-level quest to complete the Stonefalls achievement, and also a few anchors along the way, and my gear decay was minimal (no mob xp, very little quest xp).

But, when I am grouped with her and she is killing mobs while I stand in a corner mailing stuff (and not getting hit) and my pet is helping her in the fight, when the mobs die my gear decays. How can that be the intention of gear decay?

To me this sounds more like a design bug, Maybe it is working as programmed, but it is still insane. How in anyone's mind can it be "correct" that it is cheaper to de-construct your old gear and craft new gear?
    Edited by martinb16_ESO80 on 4 May 2014 16:19
  • drowned.thought_ESO
    Yeah, I noticed this too. Thought it was me just dying alot but then, I went 3 hours or so of not dying in cyrodil, neither players nor NPCs or a misstep into a pool of slaughterfish, and I look at my gear (rarely having encounters with mobs and I'm ranged) and it's ALL broken. Decided to check again 30 minutes after repairing (2000+ gold for me) and it's all broken again. -_- Not once did I die in this situation.
    (Note that I have been facerolled in PvP several times just not this occasion.)
    Edited by drowned.thought_ESO on 4 May 2014 18:06
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A little off topic, but I always thought "facerolling" was just mindlessly spamming a rotation.
  • Arwyn
    Arwyn
    ✭✭✭

A little off topic, but I always thought "facerolling" was just mindlessly spamming a rotation.

Perfectly on topic, I suspect facerolling is what the devs did with the repair coding!
  • Lisyonok
    Lisyonok
    ✭✭
    Had this issue the other night, other than that my armor has behaved.
    Did the Lion's Den public dungeon, died maybe once over course of an hour. All of my armor was suddenly broken. 2k repair bill.
    Almost just crafted an entirely new set of armor because that was ridiculous, but I'm lazy and just repaired. To test it, went back for 30 min or so yesterday, completely solo (usually play with my gf) and killed packs of mobs for 30 min.
    Died twice, even, and my repair bill was maybe 200g.
    Same armor, same mobs.
  • SootyTX
    SootyTX
    ✭✭✭
    SootyTX wrote: »

Now, other people are clearly experiencing different results to this, so rather than saying the system is a bad system, I think we really need to focus on the fact that some characters and/or interactions are bugged in some way.

I'll continue monitoring as I play one of my lower levels tonight to see if I capture any differences (i.e. could it be character or account based bugs somehow)

We need to focus on the fact that getting damage for anything other than taking damage is idiotic.

No it isn't, its fair....unless you are actively trying to discriminate against melee players in which case I'm done talking to you or any of the others here taking the same stance. I play melee almost exclusively, and I'm sick and tired of having to pay additional costs in other games simply due to that choice . It's bad enough melee tends to take greater risks simply by engaging a target than a ranged character.

So please take your "I want to screw over other players and make hings better for me+ attitude and shove it.

And I've also seen several people going on about taking more damage for doing better - THE FINESSE SYSTEM DOESN'T EXIST FOR XP!

Hopefully know we can get back to a sensible and equitable solution and move past the misinformation and selfishness.
  • pokebreaker
    pokebreaker
    ✭✭✭

I've usually seen "facerolling" used to describe a situation in which the Facerollee was completely wiped out, without even a hope of succeeding. Synonymous with ROLFSTOMPED and Facemelted.
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I've usually seen "facerolling" used to describe a situation in which the Facerollee was completely wiped out, without even a hope of succeeding. Synonymous with ROLFSTOMPED and Facemelted.

No, facerolling is what happens when someone rolls their face over a keyboard and hits random buttons to get through something. It isn't a synonym of roflstomp.