Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Rapid gear decay

• Gunnywood
    Gunnywood
    I made a full set of VR2 gear last night, before leaving the smithing area from crafting that gear i had a 1.2k repair bill On brand new gear that hadn't been used at all. Something is absolutely broken
  • Guldendraak
    Guldendraak
    ✭✭
    Corithna wrote: »
    I really don't know where you guys are getting the idea that durability loss occurs from gaining XP or IP.

I'm beginning to think these posts are from trolls. They obviously haven't read the previous pages to see that we've been testing the various theories and all they want to say is "L2P noobs" so they can feel better about themselves.

We've conversed, tested and verified what is happening - or in some cases happening occassionally and not at other times, which makes absolutely no sense. Which is apparently working as intended.

Edited by Guldendraak on 3 May 2014 05:10
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't know where you guys are getting the idea that durability loss occurs from gaining XP or IP.

I'm beginning to think these posts are from trolls. They obviously haven't read the previous pages to see that we've been testing the various theories and all they want to say is "L2P noobs" so they can feel better about themselves.

To be fair, the educational system tends to discriminate against people who live under bridges, so it's not their fault they can't read... mostly.
  • Kiralya
    Kiralya
    I did not read all the 20 pages (I skipped middle 10) but.. you're collectively saying that one should interact with NPCs naked as well as strut in towns in bikini?

If the most of the XP gain comes from quests and a smaller chunck from combat, and if the quest XP is gained upon completion, it'd make sense to strip before talking to quest NPCs, just in case. Also, one should get naked every time one's not engaging mobs, just in case there's any exploration or crafting XP coming one's way. Luckily there are disguises to cover one's undies.. and they don't decay. Yet.

Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to find an armor swapping mod..
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are in a party, and you are say a healer or damage dealer and dont get hit, you would think it would be logical for you not to recieve gear damage. But, that is no fair at all to the tank. It is actually the same way in the last mmo I played. Everyone in the party gets gear damage during combat. This is fine to me. May seem unrealistic, but you can't have only one person in the group losing funds from doing the content.

It would be nice if gear didn't get damaged as fast as it does tho, and if the start of armor loss was set at higher damage amounts. I would really rather have to wait until my armor gets damn near completely broken before I lose armor from it and have to repair it, rather than look at my armor gradually drop.

Also, From my observation, gear damage is pretty irregular across pieces of gear. I will have some pieces completely break before others if I even let it get that bad.
    Edited by demonlkojipub19_ESO on 3 May 2014 09:02
  • steveb16_ESO46
    steveb16_ESO46
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SootyTX wrote: »

Now, other people are clearly experiencing different results to this, so rather than saying the system is a bad system, I think we really need to focus on the fact that some characters and/or interactions are bugged in some way.

I'll continue monitoring as I play one of my lower levels tonight to see if I capture any differences (i.e. could it be character or account based bugs somehow)

We need to focus on the fact that getting damage for anything other than taking damage is idiotic.
  • Anastasia
    Anastasia
    ✭✭✭✭

Your repair bills aren't. Players who are seeing 1k an hour from playing the same way you are (only without repairing their gear) would beg to differ.

starker, good post. I continue to appreciate that differing opinions and exchange of data can be done in our posts in a way others can actually glean
    information! Not to say everyone has to be Pollyanna Sunshine, but there is a difference in tone that is very clear.

As many others I have been doing anecdotal testing on my main and alts these past days. ***May I ask anyone/everyone: Is it possible that DELAYING repairs causes ****exponentially**** more damage to occur to our armor/weapons?

I say this because the only data in my lil personal test kit I can reliably get to reoccur is this: IF I REPAIR more often - ie I usually repair at 70% depending on if I'm carrying a few of those individual repair kits...or the other thing I do is grumble about the money ;o) -- but ACTIVELY LOOK often for the wandering npcs and I repair if one comes by. When I repair more often, the amounts I have been writing down come to much less on same level characters.

During my testing on two of my alts, if I continue to fight and do not repair my armor/weaps until I am say at 30% or even lower, the repair amounts are MUCH higher.

Just wondering if anyone else has recognized this pattern? Perhaps as we ask the devs to look into this, we want to make SURE we know what we are asking for, else the change may be more expensive *giggles.

Thanks and good journeys!

Edited by Anastasia on 3 May 2014 10:42
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    Well it would certainly be nice to know how the heck the system is intended to actually work.

@Zos_GinaBruno Since you were the one to comment in this thread, can you give us some insight? Or at least get us information from someone who actually knows.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kiralya wrote: »
    I did not read all the 20 pages (I skipped middle 10) but.. you're collectively saying that one should interact with NPCs naked as well as strut in towns in bikini?

If the most of the XP gain comes from quests and a smaller chunck from combat, and if the quest XP is gained upon completion, it'd make sense to strip before talking to quest NPCs, just in case. Also, one should get naked every time one's not engaging mobs, just in case there's any exploration or crafting XP coming one's way. Luckily there are disguises to cover one's undies.. and they don't decay. Yet.

Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to find an armor swapping mod..

It depends. Everyone takes damage from combat experience. This is probably what's "working as intended." Hopefully the egregious amounts of damage are unintended. But, honestly, we don't know.

Some players are taking damage from any kind of experience. They're the ones that are seeing breaks from crafting or turning in quests. These might be two separate bugs, some taking damage from any source and others only from crafting XP, but... I don't know.

Some people are seeing persistent damage over time to their gear. Which includes the guy who's staff degenerated to 7/35.
  • Bromburak
    Bromburak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has nothing todo with exp but apparently all outleveled mobs just not recognized in any calculations, as you might realized you don't generate ultimate as well.

Getting no exp for outleveled stuff is fine, not generating ulti and no influence on durability is a bug.

In general each armor piece is losing durability differently so its pretty obvious that there is a algorithm with random percentage on any piece of armor or we get hit on a specific piece of armor internally (thats how it was done in DAOC) but you could see why and would explain the massive durability difference on certain slots.
    Edited by Bromburak on 3 May 2014 11:09
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bromburak wrote: »
    This has nothing todo with exp but apparently all outleveled mobs just not recognized in any calculations, as you might realized you don't generate ultimate as well.

Getting no exp for outleveled stuff is fine, not generating ulti and no influence on durability is a bug.

In general each armor piece is losing durability differently so its pretty obvious that there is a algorithm with random percentage on any piece of armor.

If it's rolling dice every time you get combat XP, it would go a long way towards explaining why some players are seeing horrific repair costs and others are fine. Either they're implausibly unlucky, or something has tripped the dice to always roll max for them. ...which could make this an incredibly difficult bug to fully track down.

For reference, there is a dice roll on death, so that could be related in some way.
  • ToBbErT
    ToBbErT
    ✭✭
    The repair cost is so ridiculous atm. Please change it.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need to focus on the fact that getting damage for anything other than taking damage is idiotic.
    well atleast is harms everybody equally not like in other games where you are fücked for beeing a tank while everybody else repairs his gear once in a bluemoon. and the tank has 30k gold after each dungeon to invest to get his gear back in line.

Edited by Tankqull on 3 May 2014 11:15
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭
    Durability regardless, why do repairs cost more then the armor is worth?!
  • b101uk
    b101uk
    ✭✭✭
    zeuseason wrote: »

Have you tried to buy new armour from merchants, it works out at an exorbitant cost which has some relationship to repair costs, whereas in a market flooded with used armours theoretically the price you could sell at would be massively reduced, like in real life the price you can sell an object for has no bearing on the cost it would take to repair it, all it influenced is the point at which it becomes “beyond economical repair”

• Guldendraak
    Guldendraak
    ✭✭
    If it's rolling dice every time you get combat XP, it would go a long way towards explaining why some players are seeing horrific repair costs and others are fine. Either they're implausibly unlucky, or something has tripped the dice to always roll max for them. ...which could make this an incredibly difficult bug to fully track down.

Actually this makes a lot of sense (especially without any guidelines for how durability decay is actually supposed to work from customer service or ZOS) to explain why some of us are getting weird decay and some aren't.. It would also explain why, if the Devs did actually test it (and the jury is still out on that), they may not have seen it as it's completely random.

The obvious problem is that there is a bug that many of us are experiencing but the longer this continues without an explanation, the more I worry that my end-game experience is going to cause me to cancel my sub. I pretty sure at VR12, I'm not going to want pay to repair/replace my gear every couple of hours of play - especially when we may be talking about hard to replace sets that drop off set bosses.

• Agobi
    Agobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

*snip*...I pretty sure at VR12, I'm not going to want pay to repair/replace my gear every couple of hours of play - especially when we may be talking about hard to replace sets that drop off set bosses.

This is my biggest concern atm :(

The costs to keep a set of legendary V10-12 armor repaired has to be astronomical...considering how much I pay to repair my white level 16 armor now o.O

*looks around for any official feedback,besides "working as intended".....* :'(
  • Asava
    Asava
    ✭✭✭
    b101uk wrote: »
    zeuseason wrote: »

Have you tried to buy new armour from merchants, it works out at an exorbitant cost which has some relationship to repair costs, whereas in a market flooded with used armours theoretically the price you could sell at would be massively reduced, like in real life the price you can sell an object for has no bearing on the cost it would take to repair it, all it influenced is the point at which it becomes “beyond economical repair”

That sounds great. Could you point me to the nearest VR1-4 Warlock armor set vendor then??
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was already considering if how often you repair affects the cost. I got down to around 50% then went off to do a group dungeon, so I repaired fully. I stated before that this bug doesn't seem to be hitting me so far. My repair cost at 50% didn't seem unusual and it was just under 700g. Wearing L26 blue crafted gear at the time. I'll try to keep track of the (g)/(%damage) and repair at various amounts of damage.

Couple side comments - fair group system would be if damage to the tank was distributed across the group, thus the tank would not take all the damage himself.
    - I suspect the VR problem isn't that repair costs for Legendary is more, I bet it's the same as a white item. The problem at that level is that the gold generation actually goes down compared to all the quest incomes of the the 1 - 49 levels. My highest level is 36 so someone else would have to comment on this.
    Edited by Gillysan on 3 May 2014 14:06
  • b101uk
    b101uk
    ✭✭✭
    Asava wrote: »
    That sounds great. Could you point me to the nearest VR1-4 Warlock armor set vendor then??

You know the Warlock armour parts are only dropped by NPC and found by other players, thus you WILL need to pay the cost set by players acting as merchants in the chat or in guild shops who are acting on behalf of the player/s who have them to sell, which is in part driven cost wise by the price AI merchants sell nondescript armour and weapons for along with the crazy prices people will pay.
  • Asava
    Asava
    ✭✭✭
    Well you're talking about replacing armor with vendor bought armor. That's why I'm asking wtf they are then so that I can do that.
  • b101uk
    b101uk
    ✭✭✭
    Asava wrote: »
    Well you're talking about replacing armor with vendor bought armor. That's why I'm asking wtf they are then so that I can do that.

I didn’t say that at all, I said
    Have you tried to buy new armour from merchants, it works out at an exorbitant cost which has some relationship to repair costs, whereas in a market flooded with used armours theoretically the price you could sell at would be massively reduced

Highlighting the cost of purchasing 7 new items of armour from an AI merchant thus why repair costs are much higher than what you can sell armour bits to AI merchants for, given the market is theoretically flooded with used armour, likewise highlighting why there is a perceived disparity between repair cost and what you can sell an armour item to an AI merchant for, i.e. there is MUCH less of a disparity between AI merchant new Armour cost and repair cost, it’s just that people like to pick the biggest difference to prove their point with little thought to any in-game economics.

You need look no further than new and used cars prices and car part/component and labour prices to repair them or the scrap metal price which denotes the bottom end of value to see comparisons.
    Edited by b101uk on 3 May 2014 15:24
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oddly, I don't appear to be suffering this anymore. Possibly since the last patch, but I've only played hard today and wear seems quite normal again.
  • Corithna
    Corithna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gillysan wrote: »
    I am using gear 10 levels lower than my current level and I can tell you my repair bills are minimal. However, Coritha you are totally wrong. There is a bug and different people are being hit with decay in odd places, ways and rates.

Let me guess, you skipped 19 pages of comments to post your opinion?

I can not speak to a bug that some state they have experienced that I have not. But I can say that after more then seven months of playing this title what was described here has not happened to my characters in any appreciable, or noticeable manner. And yes this is true even after testing and looking for what has been described here. But again I can only speak to my personal experience with this title. @Gillysan‌ such is a far different circumstance, you may want to keep that in mind prior to telling another poster that they are 'wrong'.
    For all the millions of pages of codified law we have enacted in this nation alone, all of it, every word, sentence, paragraph and nuance, is steeped in the singular idea of this:

"Be good to one another."
  • Corithna
    Corithna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't know where you guys are getting the idea that durability loss occurs from gaining XP or IP. I gain both with complete impunity to my durability.

Probably not. Keep in mind, via in game means, you can't tell when you take less than ~5% damage to an item. You can use an addon like Durameter to track smaller changes, though it won't display below 1% deterioration. Those of us using Durameter have noticed that it actually occurs on the kill, not on receiving damage.

Just cracking your inventory open after a fight and noticing, "oh, this time I took damage", v. tracking it during combat is a recipe for misleading assumptions about what's causing it.
    You suffer a durability hit when you fail to block or avoid damage in combat, I.E. the finesse system. When you are doing it right you'll gain bonus experience and drops from mobs as well as avoiding those repair bills.

There's actually a distinct possibility that the increased deterioration we're seeing is because of the finesse system "rewarding" us. Again, damage is inflicted on kills.
    No I don't manage to completely avoid them all the time. But I have good days and bad days where I'm either more or less responsive to the combat environment.

A good point was brought up earlier however concerning relative item levels, yes lower level gear does take a bigger bite to repair then does at level, or one level below your current. Again this is as intended to encourage players to keep their gear up to date. What is also not apparent to most people is the fact that at level gear does more then simply protect the player from harm. It also enhances the dps your character is capable of putting forth. Thus making combat all that much more simple.

The problem is, we're not talking about people holding onto one special piece of gear and then seeing it slag. In a lot of cases we're talking about players who are having to replace their gear as frequently as possible to avoid repair costs.
    The major problem here is that many people have very bad habits from other MMO systems where certain behavior was a more viable option then it is here.

There's a real disconnect here between the trolls... and you... I'm assuming you're not actually, intentionally trolling.

You have people saying "go back and play Skyrim, this is nothing like that," and people saying, "you've learned bad habits in other MMOs, you need to learn to play." So, here's my question? Which is it? It can't be both. Has my 672 hours in Skyrim lead me astray here? Is that not how you play this? Actually, is Steam just screwing with me now? Or is it the 894 hours in Champions... no, Champions has a blocking system that's actually pretty important... can't be that.
    The number one rule during your leveling campaign is this Keep you gear up to date! Even having just white gear until you hit 50 is perfectly okay in most instances.

That's good, because in most instances, the players in this thread can't afford anything better than white gear, because by the time they've leveled up enough to craft new gear, the old stuff is slagged.
    Just so long as it is up to date. Beyond that make sure you avoiding/blocking the incoming hits, especially the heavy attacks. But given enough light attacks it can add up as well. One final note that you can see for yourself in game: Weapons take no durability hits whatsoever!

"Bugs in me game!? Unpossible!"
    Shields however do take durability hits but given the extra armor afforded by both equipping a shield and actively blocking incoming attacks the repair bills are not that bad overall.

Your repair bills aren't. Players who are seeing 1k an hour from playing the same way you are (only without repairing their gear) would beg to differ.

Well you are right in one respect, I am not trolling anyone. But I disagree that repair bills are based on experience gained. However I do think that the relative level of the mobs you are fighting can make a difference in what is going on. This may seem like a tenuous distinction, but it is an important one for any player honestly thinking that every time they gain exp that their gear will take damage. Rather I think this is a rant by those who want to take on content that is far removed from their own level and are thereby paying the price in repair bills. It is also perfectly possible that repair cost tables are linked to zones modified by the players level as to how much repair costs are going to cost them. One of the issues that came up during beta was the aspect of players attempting to 'power level' their way to an early end game experience. It was quickly uncovered by players that if you take on mobs around five levels north of your own that this was both viable and efficient as a means to grind your way to the top.

@starkerealm‌, you mention at the end of your post that others are not paying for their repairs. Do you not think it equally possible that damaged gear could take an escalating repair cost the longer it remains damaged? In other words the longer you neglect repairing your gear the faster those repair bills will stack up. This is a system I do think is in place. It is a realistic one as well. If your car is in need of repairs, but you neglect it for a time and continue to use it. Such actions can lead to additional systems also taking damage. If this continues for long enough what was originally only $100 in repairs turns into a several thousand dollar repair bill, or potentially lead to the vehicle being junked. The end user who's less then fastidious about his repairs might assume that the car maker was designing the vehicle to deliberately break down. While the attentive car owner see's many years service basically problem free. This is a system that I'm okay with being in the game. Clearly I fall into the category of the attentive owner and keep my gear repaired at every opportunity. I use a couple gold items, most are purple, and a couple are still only blues. I am always ensuring that my gear matches my level, or is at worst one level behind.

So what can I offer up here? Stay with mobs that are at your own level or lower, keep your gear repaired, play well. Do these things and you'll find the game to be much more rewarding. However skipping content, attempting to glean as much exp from higher level mobs as possible, and generally trying to take short cuts, yeah I think that has a cost associated with it.

EDIT: I also have to wonder how much of an impact the finesse system might play in lowering repair costs when it is earned during combat.
    Edited by Corithna on 3 May 2014 19:30
    For all the millions of pages of codified law we have enacted in this nation alone, all of it, every word, sentence, paragraph and nuance, is steeped in the singular idea of this:

• Corithna
    Corithna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EDIT 2: Earlier in this thread it was expressed that with low level mobs no ultimate is earned and must therefore be a bug. I can confirm that this is not a bug but an intended mechanic that was put in place to help counter the leveling services from simply running a high level toon with a raid of lowbies and just pounding the ultimate system to victory.

*Sorry for the additional post, this was intended to be an edit of the above post.
    Edited by Corithna on 3 May 2014 19:36

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't know where you guys are getting the idea that durability loss occurs from gaining XP or IP. I gain both with complete impunity to my durability.

Probably not. Keep in mind, via in game means, you can't tell when you take less than ~5% damage to an item. You can use an addon like Durameter to track smaller changes, though it won't display below 1% deterioration. Those of us using Durameter have noticed that it actually occurs on the kill, not on receiving damage.

Just cracking your inventory open after a fight and noticing, "oh, this time I took damage", v. tracking it during combat is a recipe for misleading assumptions about what's causing it.
    You suffer a durability hit when you fail to block or avoid damage in combat, I.E. the finesse system. When you are doing it right you'll gain bonus experience and drops from mobs as well as avoiding those repair bills.

There's actually a distinct possibility that the increased deterioration we're seeing is because of the finesse system "rewarding" us. Again, damage is inflicted on kills.
    No I don't manage to completely avoid them all the time. But I have good days and bad days where I'm either more or less responsive to the combat environment.

A good point was brought up earlier however concerning relative item levels, yes lower level gear does take a bigger bite to repair then does at level, or one level below your current. Again this is as intended to encourage players to keep their gear up to date. What is also not apparent to most people is the fact that at level gear does more then simply protect the player from harm. It also enhances the dps your character is capable of putting forth. Thus making combat all that much more simple.

The problem is, we're not talking about people holding onto one special piece of gear and then seeing it slag. In a lot of cases we're talking about players who are having to replace their gear as frequently as possible to avoid repair costs.
    The major problem here is that many people have very bad habits from other MMO systems where certain behavior was a more viable option then it is here.

There's a real disconnect here between the trolls... and you... I'm assuming you're not actually, intentionally trolling.

You have people saying "go back and play Skyrim, this is nothing like that," and people saying, "you've learned bad habits in other MMOs, you need to learn to play." So, here's my question? Which is it? It can't be both. Has my 672 hours in Skyrim lead me astray here? Is that not how you play this? Actually, is Steam just screwing with me now? Or is it the 894 hours in Champions... no, Champions has a blocking system that's actually pretty important... can't be that.
    The number one rule during your leveling campaign is this Keep you gear up to date! Even having just white gear until you hit 50 is perfectly okay in most instances.

That's good, because in most instances, the players in this thread can't afford anything better than white gear, because by the time they've leveled up enough to craft new gear, the old stuff is slagged.
    Just so long as it is up to date. Beyond that make sure you avoiding/blocking the incoming hits, especially the heavy attacks. But given enough light attacks it can add up as well. One final note that you can see for yourself in game: Weapons take no durability hits whatsoever!

"Bugs in me game!? Unpossible!"
    Shields however do take durability hits but given the extra armor afforded by both equipping a shield and actively blocking incoming attacks the repair bills are not that bad overall.

Well you are right in one respect, I am not trolling anyone. But I disagree that repair bills are based on experience gained.

You're welcome to deny whatever you want, but you're deliberately ignoring careful research by many players over the last week. In saying "you're wrong, this works the way I think it does, without testing," you're claiming to be smarter than everyone else in this thread, which doesn't track with someone who's ignoring actual research.

Under normal circumstances, gear decay occurs via combat xp, and death. We tested it, we know.
    However I do think that the relative level of the mobs you are fighting can make a difference in what is going on. This may seem like a tenuous distinction, but it is an important one for any player honestly thinking that every time they gain exp that their gear will take damage. Rather I think this is a rant by those who want to take on content that is far removed from their own level and are thereby paying the price in repair bills.

My experience is that egregious gear decay occurs when dealing with content that is either: a) no more than five levels below you, b) at your level, or c) one to two levels above you. I haven't ventured into The Rift to see if decay is even more pronounced there, but, no, this isn't players who are power leveling and being punished. This is players who are doing content at their level, give or take a couple.
    It is also perfectly possible that repair cost tables are linked to zones modified by the players level as to how much repair costs are going to cost them.
    This is, quite possibly true. It also explains why two players in the same team at the same time doing the same content will get radically different repair values... no, wait.
    One of the issues that came up during beta was the aspect of players attempting to 'power level' their way to an early end game experience. It was quickly uncovered by players that if you take on mobs around five levels north of your own that this was both viable and efficient as a means to grind your way to the top.

And it's completely irrelevant to this discussion. This isn't a function of players trying to power level. This is players attempting to do content intended for their character and being punished.
    @starkerealm‌, you mention at the end of your post that others are not paying for their repairs. Do you not think it equally possible that damaged gear could take an escalating repair cost the longer it remains damaged? In other words the longer you neglect repairing your gear the faster those repair bills will stack up. This is a system I do think is in place.

This is quite possible, and it meshes with some of my research, but the issue is that for some players to keep their repair costs down, they'd need to be repairing their gear every five to ten minutes, in order to avoid the increased decay. That's not hyperbole. They'd need to be doing after every 4 mobs, give or take.
    It is a realistic one as well. If your car is in need of repairs, but you neglect it for a time and continue to use it.

Conversely, my car doesn't require an oil change every six hours.
    Such actions can lead to additional systems also taking damage. If this continues for long enough what was originally only $100 in repairs turns into a several thousand dollar repair bill, or potentially lead to the vehicle being junked. The end user who's less then fastidious about his repairs might assume that the car maker was designing the vehicle to deliberately break down. While the attentive car owner see's many years service basically problem free.

That's a fascinating analogy, and I'm sure, one day, you'll find a place for it. But, I'm afraid, that day isn't today.
    This is a system that I'm okay with being in the game.

I'm not fine with a punitive system that is based solely on actually playing the game the way you are supposed to.

Also, you're fine with the system because it hasn't screwed you. If your repair costs suddenly multiplied by a factor of 7, you'd be crying.
    Clearly I fall into the category of the attentive owner and keep my gear repaired at every opportunity.

Again, the part you don't seem to understand... or are incapable of understanding, and if that's the case, you have my deepest, insincere sympathies. People are not repairing their gear because they've already spent all of their gold on repairs, doing it as frequently as possible until the gold ran out. Now, they quest naked, because broken gear can't degenerate further. I wouldn't think anyone would need to explain this, but here I am.
    I use a couple gold items, most are purple, and a couple are still only blues. I am always ensuring that my gear matches my level, or is at worst one level behind.

I believe the word you were looking for was "oblivious," not "attentive". If you'd actually read this thread, you'd already know you're describing behavior that has been taken by a number of players in this thread. I realize, for some people, reading can be very difficult, but, it saves them from making fools out of themselves later by saying things, and expressing opinions that have no relation to objective reality.
    So what can I offer up here?

As far as I can tell? Nothing. As someone who isn't experiencing the bug, you can't provide research. As someone who hasn't researched the mechanics, you can't offer analysis. As someone who hasn't read through this thread, you can't avoid covering old, debunked, ground. So, that leaves us with... nothing.

Unless you want to actually read the thread before posting, that might be a good idea, if you want to participate.
    Stay with mobs that are at your own level or lower, keep your gear repaired, play well. Do these things and you'll find the game to be much more rewarding. However skipping content, attempting to glean as much exp from higher level mobs as possible, and generally trying to take short cuts, yeah I think that has a cost associated with it.

I'd say that was "brilliant insight" if it wasn't so uncannily like what customer support tends to write, and, by that, I mean completely unrelated to reality or the topic at hand.
    EDIT: I also have to wonder how much of an impact the finesse system might play in lowering repair costs when it is earned during combat.

Most likely, the finesse system actually increases repair costs. I'd explain this, but you can just read the thread and see what people have written. I trust you're able to make the logical connections. Well, more "hope," than "trust," but you get the idea.
    Edited by starkerealm on 3 May 2014 20:24
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am using gear 10 levels lower than my current level and I can tell you my repair bills are minimal. However, Coritha you are totally wrong. There is a bug and different people are being hit with decay in odd places, ways and rates.

I can not speak to a bug that some state they have experienced that I have not. But I can say that after more then seven months of playing this title what was described here has not happened to my characters in any appreciable, or noticeable manner. And yes this is true even after testing and looking for what has been described here. But again I can only speak to my personal experience with this title. @Gillysan‌ such is a far different circumstance, you may want to keep that in mind prior to telling another poster that they are 'wrong'.

Ooohkay. Nevermind. I was taking what you wrote at face value. Mybad.
  • Arwyn
    Arwyn
    ✭✭✭
    Just did a solo of Spindle, knowing I would get a ton of damage and zero xp. My repair bill was zero. Its not damage based in the slightest.
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭

You didn't answer my question. Did you skip 19 pages of posts to throw in your opinion?
    Edited by Gillysan on 3 May 2014 20:52