Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Rapid gear decay

• the_Burne
    the_Burne
    fight nekkid, don't save your gear. cheaper to remake it. my DK when killing mobs is nude.. if I wanna profit.
  • Guldendraak
    Guldendraak
    ✭✭
    mndfreeze wrote: »
    Durability loss occurs when you gain xp, not specific to battle. If you just discovered this wayshrine as a new one you would get XP for the discovery and there would be your loss right there. Now if both wayshrines were alrady discovered then it sounds like a bug.

Nope.. as I had stated... I had discovered both Way Shrines already - no xp for discovery was earnt.. I just got past the loading screen and had automatically lost 3% durability on my shoulders.

• bjj8383
    bjj8383
    I too would just like to say this is ridiculous. To some people who've said the game is not about killing every enemy... I call serious zombie BS. After going thru the big Coldharbor dungeon, being a good teammate, doing lots of AoE damage for the group, my gear was HALF DEAD. This is way too much. Have gear get damaged when you DIE, not when you just PLAY.
  • DewiMorgan
    DewiMorgan
    ✭✭✭
    Thourne wrote: »
    On the off chance this info somehow helps:

I just took damage to equipment during the final conversation for the Mage Guild quest. This is long after any combat and after going outside to speak with the mage.

Then...

Immediately after, I went to Riften and used the Wayshrine to travel to Fallowstone and blam got hit with damage to gear again. No combat at all. No Experience granted at all. No falling, etc etc.

@ZOS_GinaBruno tells us this has been "thoroughly tested", and that "everything is working as it was designed". Clearly, the wear and tear of everyday travel can take its toll on armor; and haven't we all found that speaking to mages can wear us down? With their tedious bookish ways and all?

So these as-designed effects are, I'm sure, just intended to deepen immersion and the verisimilitude of the environment. I applaud their designers for these amazing features.

And I shall continue to adventure naked. I just wish this underwear wasn't so ugly...
  • ZeBlade
    ZeBlade
    ✭✭
    DewiMorgan wrote: »
    Thourne wrote: »
    On the off chance this info somehow helps:

I just took damage to equipment during the final conversation for the Mage Guild quest. This is long after any combat and after going outside to speak with the mage.

Then...

Immediately after, I went to Riften and used the Wayshrine to travel to Fallowstone and blam got hit with damage to gear again. No combat at all. No Experience granted at all. No falling, etc etc.

@ZOS_GinaBruno tells us this has been "thoroughly tested", and that "everything is working as it was designed". Clearly, the wear and tear of everyday travel can take its toll on armor; and haven't we all found that speaking to mages can wear us down? With their tedious bookish ways and all?

So these as-designed effects are, I'm sure, just intended to deepen immersion and the verisimilitude of the environment. I applaud their designers for these amazing features.

And I shall continue to adventure naked. I just wish this underwear wasn't so ugly...

"just as intended"

Like I posted make armor get on new toon, get armor from bank. Put on new armor go sell something, new armor is now at 95%

Another time I was lvl 5 died once and only once no fighting at all. Cost 159Gold. So yeah..there is a bug there. 159 gold at lvl 5.. lol try it.
  • esonlineub17_ESO3
    My partner and I use DuraMeter. We only see gear decay when we gain XP from killing enemies. (But I can imagine that bugs might cause gear decay during other activities.)

We feel that the repair costs are way too high, so we craft replacements for our gear when it drops to 50% or so. We typically have to craft a couple of gear sets per level. We are level 42 right now; this has been the pattern since level 15 or so.

So for us, the rapid gear decay is not acting as a gold sink; instead, it acts as a crafting materials sink. At least we get crafting XP this way. Repairing at an NPC offers no such benefit.
  • Zirq
    Zirq
    ✭✭
    For something "as intended" it sure isn't distributed equally. Both me and my friend will craft a few items (less than 15-the most crafted at a time is with provisioning), roughly the same amount. He'll see noticeable decay in his armor. I'll see...get this-none. Around same level crafting whatever -we'll be plus or minus 2 levels or so in provisioning, and no, he's not consistently a higher level in either crafting or player levels-sometimes I'm higher. But he does consistently take durability hits when I don't! These are in non-combat situations. We haven't compared actual combat situations yet (but quite a few pages back, someone else did).

So, no. This is flat out impossible to be as intended. Or some people are just randomly picked on (ooo. new form of cyber bulling?!)

Disclaimer: This is ignoring the obscene repair costs a lot of people are reporting, we haven't been affected by that, just very inconsistent, extreme, and illogical durability hits.

Irrelevant side note-opinion on provisioning durability damage:
    Oh no! The dangers of cooking! If taking damage while provisioning is "intended", at least give us an entertaining emote or animation showing us caught on fire. Tell me I ate blue furry food! Justify durability hits taken while cooking and in non-combat situations!

• traigusb14_ESO2
    traigusb14_ESO2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zirq wrote: »

Disclaimer: This is ignoring the obscene repair costs a lot of people are reporting, we haven't been affected by that, just very inconsistent, extreme, and illogical durability hits.

Yeah it is all over the place. Except for one really weird incident with a weapon, I'm paying waaaaaaaay less than everyone else in this thread. No real selling to anyone else, and only selling to NPC vendors opposite class stuff that isn't on my spreadsheet as needed to be researched(My temp is a blacksmith and my sorc is a clothier and woodworker. They will sell items not for their trade, as long as I don't need it for research).

My chars are at 36 and 39. Both have 100 bag slots (no horses, but next upgrade is 20k) bank is 100 slots. Both chars have between 20 and 24 k right now because I'm saving for good horses.... and I can, because I go out for an hour and only pay 400 GP on average for repairs with ~2 deaths (including fighting anchors and world bosses). people on this thread at the same levels are paying 3x that or more.

Maybe I'm the one with the bug?
  • steveb16_ESO46
    steveb16_ESO46
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is 'working as intended' whoever 'intended' it needs a hefty introduction to a Clue Stick. Damage should come only from combat damage and falls. And should be repairable by craft skills. I would make it a passive for each craft.

As it stands it is ridiculous. No. Stuff doesn't get damaged through talking, way shrinking or even clean killing.

Absurd.
  • Rodario
    Rodario
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, i don't know if this is relevant, but i just made a new set of same-lvl armor for myself and feel like it's decaying way slower than the mix-n-match 2-5lvl below gear i was wearing before. Maybe armor decays faster if it's being hit by higher lvl mobs?
    Victoria Lux - Templar Tank
    {EU/DC}
  • aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I've hit VR, my repair bills have gone down quite a bit (far less XP for killing mobs), 40-50 was the most expensive.
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aipex8_ESO wrote: »
    Since I've hit VR, my repair bills have gone down quite a bit (far less XP for killing mobs), 40-50 was the most expensive.

I think your right, my costs were huge between 40-50 and now at veteran it seems ok! Although Not done much as bugs slow you down!
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    From the AMA:
    Right now there are no plans to change how armor is repaired. This might be something we look at in the future.To expand on this further (since I didn’t find anyone that asked about this directly), durability damage is a bit higher than we would like it to be in group situations like dungeons, the upcoming craglorn zone, and Trial content. In Patch 1.1, you’ll take significantly less damage in group situations (whether or not you have officially formed a party)

Does this mean that we are currently taking alot more durability damage if being in combat close to other players in PvE? Like going into a public dungeon together with people, but ungrouped, we take extra damage to our armor?

I'm confused as to what exactly they mean.
    Edited by Blackwolfe5 on 2 May 2014 10:11
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the AMA:
    Right now there are no plans to change how armor is repaired. This might be something we look at in the future.To expand on this further (since I didn’t find anyone that asked about this directly), durability damage is a bit higher than we would like it to be in group situations like dungeons, the upcoming craglorn zone, and Trial content. In Patch 1.1, you’ll take significantly less damage in group situations (whether or not you have officially formed a party)

Does this mean that we are currently taking alot more durability damage if being in combat close to other players in PvE? Like going into a public dungeon together with people, but ungrouped, we take extra damage to our armor?

I'm confused as to what exactly they mean.

Yeah, that's not completely clear. Is it intentional for low level characters to routinely be hit with repair costs in excess of 1k?
  • zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭
    This need a massive reworking or players will just stop playing and never return. It's the anti-play mechanic as it discourages players from playing.
  • Arwyn
    Arwyn
    ✭✭✭
    Worse mechanic ever, damage you take doesnt matter but xp you get does, in a game where you get more XP for performing better in combat thats just stupid.
  • Fairydragon3
    Fairydragon3
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZeBlade there was more to the message
    "However, we did find that there were a small number of cases that may be generating more decay than was originally intended, and we will continue to investigate those situations. We’ve also seen your feedback and do agree with you that the durability was too severe under some conditions, such as while you’re playing in a group, and are testing these changes on the PTS now."
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here is the fix.... remove gear damage and bring back xp loss upon death, not an xp penalty but EQ1 style xp loss, then that will give death a "real bite" and force players to not be so careless or reckless in game. I mentioned this in beta as did many others. XP loss is still by far the best penalty hands down for dying.
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My wife wants me to help her this evening because she is having a hard time progressing and is getting frustrated. She has no money, can't fix her armor because of that, so she is having a hard time defeating mobs to finish quests so she can earn some cash. Also she is having a hard time finding mats to restore her armor. So if that is your intention, to frustrate players almost to the point of quitting, you are doing an excellent job!
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    Chryos wrote: »
    Here is the fix.... remove gear damage and bring back xp loss upon death, not an xp penalty but EQ1 style xp loss, then that will give death a "real bite" and force players to not be so careless or reckless in game. I mentioned this in beta as did many others. XP loss is still by far the best penalty hands down for dying.
    Until you die twice and it's not your fault..
    First death? Falling through the world due to graphical bugs.
    Second death? Dying immediately at the wayshrine, after you get teleported there, after the first death.

Yeah, it's a party. Adventuring naked is so liberating. Death is now a means of travel, discovery, and I don't care at all if I die. Not even a little bit. It's ridiculous, hilarious, and oh so broken.
  • Cernow
    Cernow
    ✭✭✭✭

In a properly balanced, bug free game, perhaps. But in the game as it currently stands, no thanks. XP loss would just rub salt in the wounds for dying from buggy or unbalanced mechanics.

I've died a few times from mis-judging the situation and fully accept the consequences. But most of my deaths have come as a result of bugs or poorly balanced encounters and boss fights. Mobs that become unhittable but keep damaging you, mobs that can shoot through walls, damage from bugged invisible mobs, bosses that one-shot you without any warning, mobs with bugged or overtuned abilities, overtuned story quest fights that can't be grouped for and so on. Not to forget that using /stuck kills you too and it's possible to fall through the world.

Even in a bug-free environment, there's no real gameplay benefits for punishing death by xp loss. It tends to penalise certain categories of player more than others because of how fight mechanics are designed (tanks and melee dps especially) . It tends to discourage risk taking. It also tends to discourage players helping each other (as does a high repair bill) because when a player sees another in trouble they ask themselves 'can I afford to get involved'? It also causes players to bail out of groups that are struggling. None of this is good.
  • djodars
    djodars
    ✭✭✭
    175694.jpg
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZeBlade there was more to the message
    "However, we did find that there were a small number of cases that may be generating more decay than was originally intended, and we will continue to investigate those situations. We’ve also seen your feedback and do agree with you that the durability was too severe under some conditions, such as while you’re playing in a group, and are testing these changes on the PTS now."
    Maybe it's a byproduct of self selection on the forums, but it doesn't feel like a "small number of cases," to me. Either way, the entire excerpt sounds like they're fixing a few things that were causing even more gear decay, rather than addressing players losing half their armor in an hour. But, like I said, it's hard to tell, and everything we've gotten has been vague. Does "working as intended" mean, that there's supposed to be some damage from dealing combat XP, but not much, and the numbers we're seeing is the bug, or does "working as intended" mean that we're supposed to burn through our armor in a couple hours?
  • traigusb14_ESO2
    traigusb14_ESO2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At 18.2k views this is a heavily watched thread. No telling how many are affected and not posting. Hell, most people don't even come to the forums.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashtaris wrote: »
    My wife wants me to help her this evening because she is having a hard time progressing and is getting frustrated. She has no money, can't fix her armor because of that, so she is having a hard time defeating mobs to finish quests so she can earn some cash. Also she is having a hard time finding mats to restore her armor. So if that is your intention, to frustrate players almost to the point of quitting, you are doing an excellent job!

...and this is the reason I stopped playing over a week ago, and now I'm just haunting these forums waiting for a fix. I've got a character with ~6k gold on them, and once I realized I only had enough gold on them for day's worth of playing, I figured I'd better wait and find out if this was a bug before I crippled my characters...

...and, we still don't know. I'll hang around until the fix goes live, and find out if "working as intended" really is "your armor's made out of paper mache; you're supposed to spend more gold than you get on repairs." If it is, then I'm done. If I actually wanted a game to punish me for playing it, I never would have left TSW, and it's the community that makes the trolls on here look downright friendly.
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xp loss upon death isnt so bad, at least u wouldnt have to worry about not having enough gold to repair your armor. and as in most games, the better your armor, it more expensive it is to repair. so it's either alot of money or some xp loss. If you reduced the repair cost penalty anymore guess what happens? Youll be playing wow under a different flavor!

(or just give me myself xp loss and no gear damage, since im the only one, and i enjoy the challenge and the immersion of a greater penalty)
    Edited by Chryos on 2 May 2014 17:33
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.
  • Hrithmus
    Hrithmus
    ✭✭✭
    Any word on this yet?
  • Juponen
    Juponen
    ✭✭✭
    Xp loss upon death isnt so bad

Just a while ago I died when the double wielding bug froze me in middle of multimob combat..so while the idea has merits, the game is not mature enough.

• Rocksteady
    Rocksteady
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta take the bitter with the sweet...
    "Their stupidity does not amaze me, its when they're smart that amazes me. It's baffling whenever you find someone who's smart — incredible. Soon you'll have zoos for such things." -Frank Zappa
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xp loss upon death isnt so bad, at least u wouldnt have to worry about not having enough gold to repair your armor. and as in most games, the better your armor, it more expensive it is to repair. so it's either alot of money or some xp loss. If you reduced the repair cost penalty anymore guess what happens? Youll be playing wow under a different flavor!

(or just give me myself xp loss and no gear damage, since im the only one, and i enjoy the challenge and the immersion of a greater penalty)
    The problem there is, instead of running out of money, you'd end up with characters that couldn't get enough XP to advance without simply grinding mobs. The idea itself is sound, but given the current implementation, I'd be a little afraid you'd end up in a situation where players would actually lose more XP in combat than they'd gain.

If the systems worked perfectly, then maybe, but given that stuck counts as a kill...