Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Rapid gear decay

• Arwyn
    Arwyn
    ✭✭✭
    babylon wrote: »
    Arwyn wrote: »

Were you getting decay?

L50 mobs in non-vet areas cause item decay to VR ranked players.

No xp, but they still drop items, therefore you get item decay.

Item drops = gear decay. This is a PVE tax.

Then its too large, when the decay is 15g and the loot is 7g (no items) something is wrong.
  • smosti
    smosti
    ✭✭✭
    Broken armor only on death. Repair cost equivalent to a percentage of your total gold. Done and sorted thanks for coming.

This will increase the skill players will need to combat their way through enemies. You actually need to strategise now instead of spamming your way through.

Melee players are now no longer getting the shitter end of the stick! Damn...I now feel like swapping my bow to my daggers to finish that enemy rather then having a fear of getting hit.

Players would be more inclined to spend their gold on bag upgrades etc rather then keeping a huge stockpile. Keeps you playing a game of risk. How good do you think you are? Playing with fire. Want to keep that 100k in your bank or load it off on upgrades and purchase for a smaller repair fee. The choice is in your hands.

Keeps everyone within a healthy gold balance. No gold hoarders who have 100x more gold then the next person. Well...unless they aren't dieing! But if they aren't dieing....they are good enough and deserve to have 100x more gold then the next person.

We actually get to keep our crafted gear if we play skilfully and avoid death.

Buying motifs to learn now has value. Wtf is the point atm? You're never in a full set of matching armor for more then 30mins. Fashion is broken.

Smithing and clothing are now useful professions again.People Can now make money for mastering smithing and clothing and you can spec some sweet ass gear that you know will be around for a while if you avoid death and play smart!

So many pros...where are the cons?
    Edited by smosti on 5 May 2014 14:48
  • oxygen_boarderb16_ESO

Were you getting decay?

Then its too large, when the decay is 15g and the loot is 7g (no items) something is wrong.

I'd like to know what you are picking up that only sells for 7g. lol
    Toktok - Vet8 Orc Templar - 2 Hand, Medium/Heavy Armor Grunt - Blacksmith/Clothier/Enchanter/Alchemist
  • Arwyn
    Arwyn
    ✭✭✭

Were you getting decay?

My example was a group of 3 mobs, they dropped 7g in coins with no items. My repair cost for the encounter was 15g.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Were you getting decay?

My example was a group of 3 mobs, they dropped 7g in coins with no items. My repair cost for the encounter was 15g.
    I've seen 16 on 8, with, I think, 5 enemies. So, those numbers mesh.

• oxygen_boarderb16_ESO

Were you getting decay?

Its pretty rare for a group of mobs to drop nothing item wise. Heck you could fill your entire inventory full of items in a sessions before your gear is completely broken. I don't even sell all my items, I break a lot down. The net result is "always" positive.

Kill 3 mobs net result is negative 8. Fine. But on the very next set of mobs, you can get 3 green items, maybe one with ornate, maybe one with a set bonus. Boom, you've just cleared the positive calculation. You can even break all those green items down, get the mats, and sell them for more/or sell them in your guild store. Depends if you have the capital.
    Toktok - Vet8 Orc Templar - 2 Hand, Medium/Heavy Armor Grunt - Blacksmith/Clothier/Enchanter/Alchemist
  • Arwyn
    Arwyn
    ✭✭✭

Were you getting decay?

Its pretty rare for a group of mobs to drop nothing item wise. Heck you could fill your entire inventory full of items in a sessions before your gear is completely broken. I don't even sell all my items, I break a lot down. The net result is "always" positive.

Kill 3 mobs net result is negative 8. Fine. But on the very next set of mobs, you can get 3 green items, maybe one with ornate, maybe one with a set bonus. Boom, you've just cleared the positive calculation. You can even break all those green items down, get the mats, and sell them for more/or sell them in your guild store. Depends if you have the capital.

If that was to answer the problem it would suggest that ZoS know what im going to kill in a session to allow a net amount to be calculated for the armor damage....doesnt seem right.

Even if it were true and they controlled each players loot over time so precisely and tied it to the repair....no wait, that would be really complicated, surely much more than doing it by damage would have been?
  • oxygen_boarderb16_ESO

Were you getting decay?

If that was to answer the problem it would suggest that ZoS know what im going to kill in a session to allow a net amount to be calculated for the armor damage....doesnt seem right.

Even if it were true and they controlled each players loot over time so precisely and tied it to the repair....no wait, that would be really complicated, surely much more than doing it by damage would have been?

So you purposefully grinding on a mob that drops only coins and wondering why you are loosing money?

The drops are RNG unless you are specifically hunting something that doesn't have a loot table.
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    ... Depends if you have the capital.
    Depending on RNG loot drops to break even? ESO is doing it wrong.
  • kasain
    kasain
    ✭✭✭
    Personally they should make no armor decay for anyone under lvl 10. Thsis would encourage people to try out the game, and all the jobs they want before they become invested in one and all the chaos they will have to deal with.

Many games do something similar for low lvl characters.
  • smosti
    smosti
    ✭✭✭

Were you getting decay?

So you purposefully grinding on a mob that drops only coins and wondering why you are loosing money?

The drops are RNG unless you are specifically hunting something that doesn't have a loot table.

uh are we playing the same game? I've gone through several mobs without an item drop...just low gold...
  • oxygen_boarderb16_ESO
    vyal wrote: »
    ... Depends if you have the capital.
    Depending on RNG loot drops to break even? ESO is doing it wrong.

Negative, I said RNG determines your capital gains. I'm arguing with people who have a hard time making coins in game. I guess I'm just that much better at video games, if I can play normally and always turn a profit. Weird. I have had zero issues making money, just doing normal MMO stuff.
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    Negative, I said RNG determines your capital gains. I'm arguing with people who have a hard time making coins in game. I guess I'm just that much better at video games, if I can play normally and always turn a profit. Weird. I have had zero issues making money, just doing normal MMO stuff.
    Make your argument again without considering RNG loot drops, and you'll see what I mean. ;)
  • oxygen_boarderb16_ESO
    vyal wrote: »
    Make your argument again without considering RNG loot drops, and you'll see what I mean. ;)

What RNG, I'm just talking about the crap that drops from all world mobs. The white/green junk. If RNG is good, you make a lot, if RNG is bad, you make a little. But you never LOSE any money.
  • Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    What RNG, I'm just talking about the crap that drops from all world mobs. The white/green junk. If RNG is good, you make a lot, if RNG is bad, you make a little. But you never LOSE any money.
    Bear in mind a lot of this is coloured by some people getting 5-10x the decay of others, as well documented within this thread, including occasions when two people are grouped together fighting the same enemies.
  • Arwyn
    Arwyn
    ✭✭✭
    A game should be fun, having to go in for repairs every short while isnt fun. Especially after getting enough bagspace so you dont have to go in to sort the inventory every short while anymore....
  • oxygen_boarderb16_ESO
    Darzil wrote: »
    Bear in mind a lot of this is coloured by some people getting 5-10x the decay of others, as well documented within this thread, including occasions when two people are grouped together fighting the same enemies.

Sure, if there is a documented bug, I can jockey for a fix as well. Maybe I've never experienced it, but like, this sounds like standard MMO practices where someone seems hell bent on playing their way, which may not be optimum on making money the way the game was made, can't figure it out, came here so their way of playing becomes viable instead of just figuring it out.

There's nothing even really to figure out, its MMO Basics 101. How to make money in an MMO. lol
    Edited by oxygen_boarderb16_ESO on 5 May 2014 15:15
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    As of patch 1.0.7, the PvE tax for killing a single VR1 mob at VR1 with armor on, is....

4g.

Tested as of this posting/time date. Back to the costume! Enjoy your stay in Tamriel. ;)
  • smosti
    smosti
    ✭✭✭
    I just crafted a full set of heavy armor. I also used a lot of moonstone ingot to craft my armor. Oh.... multiple trait stones. I used 3 honing stones on each of my 8 items. Oh now That's 24 honing stones. Oh I want it all to be arcane quality. There goes 30 dwarven oil. Oh you want epic? Bye bye 50 grain solvent. Oh ***...one of my items broke while trying to improve. Restart that one. Now I have to buy 8 enchantments. woooo.

Let me run through this dungeon. Woo a couple blues some greens and some gold. Damn...30mins and my gear is broke.

Guess I'll decon and repeat the above process...

Even if I stick to magic quality im still at a loss.

Oh you want me to stick to *** picked up items thats all missed matched and doesn't allow me to plan spec my armor?

What's the point of being able to craft and improve then?

lol
  • oxygen_boarderb16_ESO
    smosti wrote: »
    I just crafted a full set of heavy armor. I also used a lot of moonstone ingot to craft my armor. Oh.... multiple trait stones. I used 3 honing stones on each of my 8 items. Oh now That's 24 honing stones. Oh I want it all to be arcane quality. There goes 30 dwarven oil. Oh you want epic? Bye bye 50 grain solvent. Oh ***...one of my items broke while trying to improve. Restart that one. Now I have to buy 8 enchantments. woooo.

Let me run through this dungeon. Woo a couple blues some greens and some gold. Damn...30mins and my gear is broke.

Oh you want me to stick to *** picked up items thats all missed matched and doesn't allow me to plan spec my armor?

lol

So really your issue isn't with gear decay at all.

• smosti
    smosti
    ✭✭✭

lol

Oh wise one please explain to me how my issue is not with gear decay? Am I not wearing the gear in which I've crafted? Is it not decaying at a ridiculous rate?

Seems you have no issue with decay because you're happy to pickup and wear looted junk as it comes.
  • oxygen_boarderb16_ESO

lol

Oh wise one please explain to me how my issue is not with gear decay? Am I not wearing the gear in which I've crafted? Is it not decaying at a ridiculous rate?

Seems you have no issue with decay because you're happy to pickup and wear looted junk as it comes.

Most of my gear is crafted. I fail to understand why you'd min/max when your going to replace the gear anyways. If you can clear the content, good, stop upgrading, if you can't upgrade. This is standard MMO stuff.
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went away for a week on easter holiday and then I come back to sick repair bills for 20-30mins of gameplay without dying.
    All my gear just melts after just 30 minutes of playing and that's a repair bill of 2-3k gold which my current economy can't support while trying to get those bagspaces.

Is this intended?
    I mean... full repairs needed twice per hour?
    Kinda defeating the purpose of getting some nice pieces of gear and using them for 30mins and then just deconstructing them since it's not worth the repair bill.
    The next mini dungeon I enter, I will enter naked.
    Thank god for the Cyrodiil health bonus :expressionless:

It would all be justified if I kept dying for the duration of my gear, but normal combat melting my gear that fast is just nuts.

I assume from your post that you were PvE'ing in Cyrodiil at a lower level & being bumped up to level 50. I think there is a bug here in the scaling. Your armor value is scaling, but your armor isn't in terms of the damage it is taking from mobs 30-40 levels higher than you. We did this during Early Access & vowed not to PvE in Cyrodiil again until we no longer have to scale up. I /bugged it, but haven't seen any notes.

Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
    Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
    Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
    V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
    Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker
  • smosti
    smosti
    ✭✭✭

lol

Most of my gear is crafted. I fail to understand why you'd min/max when your going to replace the gear anyways. If you can clear the content, good, stop upgrading, if you can't upgrade. This is standard MMO stuff.

Okay so I'm VR10. Now what son?

What difference does it make what level I am? fact is I want my armor to last more then 30mins. I'm not netting profits from having high end armor decay in 30mins.
    Also....doesn't take 30mins to go up a few levels to make my armor redundant.
  • oxygen_boarderb16_ESO

lol

Okay so I'm VR10. Now what son?

What difference does it make what level I am? fact is I want my armor to last more then 30mins. I'm not netting profits from having high end armor decay in 30mins.
    Also....doesn't take 30mins to go up a few levels to make my armor redundant.

If your VET 10, then improve min/max but I still don't understand how your gear is breaking in 30 mins. You haven't really posted anything that would lead me to believe your gear is breaking in 30, unless you are straight mob grinding, in which case, tons of items/loot should be dropping to recoop your costs. Again, I say, what is it that you are doing that breaks your gear like it is.
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    ... Again, I say, what is it that you are doing that breaks your gear like it is.
    You'll want to check the previous 22 pages for that.
    It's one thing to be skeptical or critical, oxygen_boarderb16_ESO, but your participation in this thread is anything but constructive, now.

There is no MMO, past or present, that has such punitive gear decay / durability decay / repair costs. Period. Done. ESO's mechanic in this regard is WORSE than any other MMO.

If you think that's a postive, great, post as such and move on. Trolling the thread isn't helping anyone.
  • Woogawoman
    Woogawoman
    ✭✭✭
    You haven't really posted anything that would lead me to believe your gear is breaking in 30, unless you are straight mob grinding, in which case, tons of items/loot should be dropping to recoop your costs. Again, I say, what is it that you are doing that breaks your gear like it is.
    Did you bother to read the first 20 pages of this thread?
    Aetherium Oblivion Alliance - 40+ Mature Gamers Guild (NA)
  • oxygen_boarderb16_ESO
    Woogawoman wrote: »
    You haven't really posted anything that would lead me to believe your gear is breaking in 30, unless you are straight mob grinding, in which case, tons of items/loot should be dropping to recoop your costs. Again, I say, what is it that you are doing that breaks your gear like it is.

Yes, I read through all the subjective reasoning of "my gear broke in 30 mins". Haven't really seen ANY post showing definitively one way or another. So I'm adding my two sense to the argument on the other side of the coin. I'm not excited to watch through a 30 min video of what your doing wrong in your "general" game play sessions, but I'm more then happy to do it.

Player A: Hmm my gear breaks after 30 mins of playing, I can't afford to foot the bill.

Player B: Hmm my gear rarely breaks after 30 mins of playing, sometimes last up to an hr straight. Vendors are all over the place and it seems pretty easy to just click the vendor and repair the gear. The bill is trivial since you make a ton of money anyways.

So all I'm trying to figure out, is, why is there a difference in subjective reasoning between player A and Player B.

Final Edit, I can't wait to hear the amount of comments that come up once progression starts and you make zero income and have to fix your gear. Good Luck.
    Edited by oxygen_boarderb16_ESO on 5 May 2014 15:56
  • Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    Personally my guess is that somehow it is possible to end up flagged as helping with a kill by another player (maybe you buffed them etc), but be out of range when the actual kill happens (so you don't get xp or notification of it), but get the decay loss. I certainly lose durability faster when near other people, but I haven't really looked at what skills I'm using at the time. Since I've installed Durameter to try to help work out what is going on I've not seen anything unusual, but have also not had such high bills. Certainly something happens to cause people to lose durability at other times than combat, It's a little hard to know without any word from Zenimax on how things should be working.

I find actual killing of monsters at best gold neutral, so avoiding monsters and concentrating on quests helps, though isn't as much fun, and maximising fun is usually my aim in a game!
  • smosti
    smosti
    ✭✭✭
    Woogawoman wrote: »

Yes, I read through all the subjective reasoning of "my gear broke in 30 mins". Haven't really seen ANY post showing definitively one way or another. So I'm adding my two sense to the argument on the other side of the coin. I'm not excited to watch through a 30 min video of what your doing wrong in your "general" game play sessions, but I'm more then happy to do it.

Player A: Hmm my gear breaks after 30 mins of playing, I can't afford to foot the bill.

Player B: Hmm my gear rarely breaks after 30 mins of playing, sometimes last up to an hr straight. Vendors are all over the place and it seems pretty easy to just click the vendor and repair the gear. The bill is trivial since you make a ton of money anyways.

So all I'm trying to figure out, is, why is there a difference in subjective reasoning between player A and Player B.

Final Edit, I can't wait to hear the amount of comments that come up once progression starts and you make zero income and have to fix your gear. Good Luck.

4 questions ...

1. What rank are you
    2. Are you running junk arse gear? (You must be)
    3. Are you content with picking up any random junk item and swapping out your broke armor?
    4. Have you ever worn 8 purple armor set pieces into a dungeon?

Please try step 4 then come across to side A.