Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Overland Content Feedback Thread

• Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kendaric wrote: »
    The hell is that garbo comment with the skyrim video??? Skyrim is a single player game where you can choose out of 6 difficulty modes + mods. So no matter of how you enhance your gear to max, boss fights could always have been as difficult / immersive as you wanted them to be while maintaining the feeling of charcater progression. And thats one of the reason why skyrim succeeded. In this thread we are trying to phrase a solution like this for ESO since its more complex. No matter what the point was but the guy has proven the opposite :D
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    I don’t understand players with golded out bis slot gear and perfect builds wondering why things die so quickly.

That's his main point and he isn't wrong.

It's the same as with nearly every other MMORPG, overland/story content is easy and for those who want a challenge dungeons/raids or PvP exist.
    The only MMORPG I know of that has adjustable difficulty for world content is LotRO and I'm not sure how they handle it as I haven't played that in a while.

An additional part of the problem in ESO is the the extreme bolster low level characters receive and of course CP.

Oh, he is as wrong as one can be with this. But that doesn't matter, you aren't.

It's true that overland content is quite easy in general in most mmo-styled games. Different to eso they all have vertical gear progression though (something nobody of us is keen to ever see again in this game, I assume), so gear farming is a necessity to play through the newest content, as the level cap increases.

Eso instead (thankfully) went a different path by allowing the playerbase to become stronger with every update while freezing vertical progression at CP 160 world-side, which leads to 2 important issues in our context:

1) The gap between players and their surrounding environment is steadily increasing with every patch, making the encounters easier over time.
    2) The gap between players is increasing too, as nobody is really forced to renew his loadout. That's one of the main reasons why dps ranges from 5k to 130k nowadays.

The task at hand is now to balance this two gaps to satisfy the very different playerbase this system created, while avoiding to exclude any of the affected players.

"Nerf yourself" is the opposite of "Buff yourself" and doesn't get us anywhere.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jammy420 wrote: »
    mocap wrote: »
    Simple solution, probably already suggested a thousand times in this thread, sorry.

Crafted set:
    (2) Increases incoming damage from monsters by 25%
    (3) Decreases outgoing damage to monsters by 25%
    (4) Increases both to 50%
    (5) Increases both to 75%

This capability pretty much already exists in game. The same effects can be achieved by using crafted low-level gear, unslotting CPs, and if you're really serious, resetting attributes.

However, it's pretty clear that the people on this thread calling for harder overland aren't interested in this approach.

Why should we have to nerf ourselves, when the casual crowd refuses to buff themselves?

The solution is Necrom, all dlcs should be along these lines from now on.
    * Funded by ZOS

lol
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Side note: a forum discussion about toxicity in game chat about overland difficulty got shut down due to...

...you guessed it, toxicity.
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marcus684 wrote: »
    Side note: a forum discussion about toxicity in game chat about overland difficulty got shut down due to...

Which plays into the whole point of the thread.
    𝗡𝗼𝘁 𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗿𝘆, 𝗺𝗼𝗱𝘀. 𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗕𝗶𝗿𝗱 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vhozek wrote: »

I guess I don't understand why overland difficulty is such a hot button topic for so many people. The players in this game range all the way from super-sweaty achievement hunters to sleepy flower-pickers and everything in between, and ZOS appears to be trying to put out content that contains elements that will appeal to all levels of this diverse population. Overland is the very first content (other than the starting scenario) that new players will experience, so it needs to remain at a low level of difficulty to prevent driving them away out of the gate, so any calls for an across-the-board bump in overland difficulty are likely DOA. I really can't see ZOS spending their limited programming resources in developing an overland hard mode toggle, so more experienced and skilled players will likely have to continue to seek out the more challenging content that ZOS has given us to keep interested.
  • Fallefel
    Fallefel

I guess I don't understand why overland difficulty is such a hot button topic for so many people. The players in this game range all the way from super-sweaty achievement hunters to sleepy flower-pickers and everything in between, and ZOS appears to be trying to put out content that contains elements that will appeal to all levels of this diverse population. Overland is the very first content (other than the starting scenario) that new players will experience, so it needs to remain at a low level of difficulty to prevent driving them away out of the gate, so any calls for an across-the-board bump in overland difficulty are likely DOA. I really can't see ZOS spending their limited programming resources in developing an overland hard mode toggle, so more experienced and skilled players will likely have to continue to seek out the more challenging content that ZOS has given us to keep interested.

Thing is that the harder content usually needs a group. There is a lot of downtime that can't be filled with anything interesting. I got my team assembled to go through all the hard modes, but our schedules don't always match 1:1, creating time between the runs. During this time there isn't much for me to do outside daily stuff. I'd want to get into questing and enjoying the view, but I can't enjoy the combat that I overcome with such an ease. I just finished one quest in Telvanni Peninsula where you go against some big khajiit mercenary and I killed her before I could finish the first round of my rotation, killing her with my setup AoE alone. It creates such a lame gameplay experience that feels like a chore "can you do all the objectives without reaching boredom?" rather than like.. playing a game?

I understand that many want to keep the overland easy and that's fine. However, looking at the amount of replies this thread has it strongly implies that like there is a need for harder difficulty. Certainly something that is optional. For one, I personally loved veteran ranks back in the 2015. I remember going into Daggerfall Covenant areas and getting my butt kicked by a pack of crocodiles. It was fun, there was an actual danger lurking in the Glenumbra swamps. I just don't get that feeling anymore and on my what-to-do list I've marked that after I've done every hard mode I'm just gonna quit the game until it has something for me.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »
    Do I support an optionalveteran overland or any sort of debuff? Sure, as long as they are optional.
    Nothing else was ever asked for on all the 171 sites of this thread: an optional veteran overland.
    No, a handful of us in this thread proposed something entirely different: tougher mobs in the less-used areas, so that anyone who wanted a challenge could visit those areas, and if they didn't they could bypass them. This doesn't involve *any* changes to the game mechanics.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do I support an optionalveteran overland or any sort of debuff? Sure, as long as they are optional.
    Nothing else was ever asked for on all the 171 sites of this thread: an optional veteran overland.

Actually there were about a half dozen posters (quite far back IIRC - like maybe in the first 20 or so pages) who actually stated unequivocally that overland should be made a lot harder and those who weren't on board could just tough it up and learn how to play (paraphrased - I'm not going to go looking either).

AFAIK, by the time the thread was at 50 pages or thereabouts, those posters had left the thread. A couple of them I think might have reappeared for a post or so later.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I often wonder if people defending the current overland difficulty have ever played any other MMO or even single player RPGs. It's too easy in a game where 5 players could show up to kill the same mob, where mobs have incredibly reduced aggro detection range, no special effects, and hit you for no damage once every few seconds.
    ESO is my first MMO but every single MMO I've played after ESO has SOME level of depth to their mobs, even if they just deal more damage when compared to the ones in ESO.

You know what? I will make a video about the whole entire thing.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have played both WoW and RIFT - WoW from 2006 (vanilla - DEATHLY hard) to 2013 (still hard) and RIFT from 2013 to 2016 (not as hard as WoW outside of the stupid "RIFT pops right on top of you" mechanic). I was enough younger and my reflexes were enough better (as was my internet connection at the time) that I managed. Though honestly, I didn't think it was really fun.

Fun for me is exploring, doing as little combat as I can get away with. Especially now in my mid 70s. And TES is my chosen universe. I do find ESO fun, though mega-ping makes not only combat unfun, but is why I don't group - imagine dropping 999+ ping on the unsuspecting! Unfair and I won't do it.

I have played every TES single player game since Arena's release in 1994. I have also played many other single player games since getting my first computer in 1984, notably nearly everything from Bioware up to NWN (not the online one).

If overland difficulty increases to the point where I can't handle it because of age, poor reflexes, and lack of "real broadband" where I live, I'll just go back to RIFT for the housing (which puts housing here to shame).

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

• Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I often wonder if people defending the current overland difficulty have ever played any other MMO or even single player RPGs. It's too easy in a game where 5 players could show up to kill the same mob, where mobs have incredibly reduced aggro detection range, no special effects, and hit you for no damage once every few seconds.
    ESO is my first MMO but every single MMO I've played after ESO has SOME level of depth to their mobs, even if they just deal more damage when compared to the ones in ESO.

You know what? I will make a video about the whole entire thing.

This could be the crux of what separates those of us that are ok with easy-mode overland and those that want it to be harder. ESO is the first MMO that I've extensively gotten into (I don't count dabbling in LotRO), although I've played tons of single-player RPGs. I see the value in being able to dial the difficulty up and down like you can in a single-player game, but I don't know if this can be put into place into ESO without putting easy and hard mode players in separate instances, which ZOS clearly doesn't want to do.

I personally have just accepted that questing will not involve any combat challenge for me, which means I'll have to find enjoyment in the story and characters instead.
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here, I played ESO naked. No CP, no skills, no gear, no brain.
    https://youtu.be/DmOVbhimdQY

Edited by Vhozek on 21 June 2023 23:35
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I can only speak for myself obviously, but I started playing MMORPGs with EverQuest in 1999 and have played most major MMORPGs that came afterward.
    Sure, EverQuest was harder but I was younger and didn't suffer from health issues like I do now. Dying repeatedly in EverQuest could very well reset your entire progress towards a level and you had to get your corpse to reclaim your equipment (or had someone you could trust do it for you).
    I played every TES game since TES 1: Arena with the exception of the mobile games. I also played basically all of the old AD&D games by SSI (often refered to as "gold box games"), the whole interplay/Black Isle/BioWare stuff (Fallout, Icewind Dale, BG series, Dragon Age).

I play to relax, not to have a challenge. I'm not really competitive by nature, that's why PvP or competitive PvE has never appealed to me in any games I played.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      @Kendaric - that's also true for me. I don't have a competitive bone in my body. Competition is decidedly not why I play games.

That said, I did PVP in WoW and not so much in RIFT. But that was because of family and friends. And also, as said earlier, I was younger.... But I really hated every second of it.....

• Braffin
      Braffin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      vsrs_au wrote: »
      No, a handful of us in this thread proposed something entirely different: tougher mobs in the less-used areas, so that anyone who wanted a challenge could visit those areas, and if they didn't they could bypass them. This doesn't involve *any* changes to the game mechanics.

Yeah, I read about your idea and think that's also a reasonable compromise we could make, maybe connected with instanced delves and public dungeons. Maybe even the latter would be sufficient, without further changes. (which were much easier to do than changing overland).

The reason for the increasingly hardened fronts are some peoples claim, that it's either "nerf yourself" or nothing for us, while still enforcing further nerfs. We are talking more about soloable WBs and if grouping should be necessary for some content than we do about viable solutions. No wonder if one gets salty over time.
      Edited by Braffin on 22 June 2023 01:16
      ---
      Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I don't think the "nerf yourself" thing is a good idea. Truly the point to this game for many (any game) is to make oneself more powerful over time (those like me who just don't care about that are pretty few and far between, I have to say).

Years ago (eh, hmmm.... how long has it been? Probably 4 decades....) I played chess competitively. Not on a "world stage" level, but locally. I nearly gave myself ulcers.... and that was about when I discovered computers - and CRPGs. And I realized at that point that I'm simply not suited for competition - especially in the games I play for fun.

There needs to be a solution that gives everyone who plays ESO the game they will really enjoy.

I'm not sanguine that ZOS will (or is even willing to) provide that. Sad.

• spartaxoxo
      spartaxoxo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      What no gear and skills looks like on a character not being uber buffed with the low level bolster.

https://youtu.be/EN-Ixn0tFzs

Close to what it should be but not quite. You can't use your gear. That's still not enough damage. And resource with no gear isn't fun. But, closer than running around with great gear.
      Edited by spartaxoxo on 22 June 2023 01:52
    • Braffin
      Braffin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      TaSheen wrote: »
      I don't think the "nerf yourself" thing is a good idea. Truly the point to this game for many (any game) is to make oneself more powerful over time (those like me who just don't care about that are pretty few and far between, I have to say).

Years ago (eh, hmmm.... how long has it been? Probably 4 decades....) I played chess competitively. Not on a "world stage" level, but locally. I nearly gave myself ulcers.... and that was about when I discovered computers - and CRPGs. And I realized at that point that I'm simply not suited for competition - especially in the games I play for fun.

There needs to be a solution that gives everyone who plays ESO the game they will really enjoy.

I'm not sanguine that ZOS will (or is even willing to) provide that. Sad.

You're right, that's indeed a central point in this discussion. Everyone in a mmo is looking for character progression, at least to an extent. It's a common argument, even from the most radical opponents of any form of higher difficulty areas. So it's indeed nonsense to literally trying to punish people for being good at it. That's the whole point of the discussion.

Although I stated otherwise several times, I don't think increasing difficulty in overland content is the only viable option. Another variant would be to restore the original state of PvE endgame (and PvP, if that's even possible anymore). Things go south since zos tried to "raising the floor and lower the ceiling" especially in this content, which was an error.
      I remember, when vMoL was the most recent trial, it took my prog group 3 month to clear it and 3 more to do HM, after that we showed others how to clear it, while waiting for vHoF. In between we were happily questing in overland as everyone else, while helping out with WBs on the way.
      Nowadays it's different: Uncoordinated craglorn pugs without voice chat and knowledge of mechanics cleared vSE on day one due to cheesy builds, which are so overtuned that no proper learning process is necessary anymore. That's not what I call a healthy endgame.
      It could be so easy: Leave veteran modes of dungeons and trials for veterans, so they have something to work on and play normal mode for a casual experience. As a lot of you said, it's fine not to be interested in challenges.

It's my honest opinion that all of this started because some players couldn't live with the fact, that not every shiny is for everyone.
      ---
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It could be so easy: Leave veteran modes of dungeons and trials for veterans, so they have something to work on and play normal mode for a casual experience. As a lot of you said, it's fine not to be interested in challenges.

It's my honest opinion that all of this started because some players couldn't live with the fact, that not every shiny is for everyone.

The problem is a bit deeper than that though: many of those doing veteran content are not happy about that being their only percieved option. I really hate to recommend you read this entire thread.... but there are a fairly large number of posts where long time players are not happy that they are "relegated" to "vet content".

The bottom line is that there's a fairly significant population of veterans who want harder overland because they WANT to experience the story questing. I would just like to manage a zone MSQ - which isn't really possible for me (nope - not even talking about Kaalgrontiid, or Dagon, or Rada; I haven't even attempted them because I know that with my mega-ping whatever "help" I'm offered by NPC mechanisms I won't be able to utilize; ask me sometime about the Mulaamnir fight in N Elsweyr.... or Vandacia in Blackwood.... or today's "nerfed" Doshia.... or even Molag Bal in the MQ - which is when I just sighed, shrugged, and bagged ever doing chapter story quests again.)

I have other things I truly enjoy about this game so not doing zone MSQ isn't the end of the world. But.... I never actually realized how age, reflexes, and quality (or not) of connection can impinge on things I really want to do in a game. Especially when what I truly love about games is the questing.

Bummer for me. I've played CRPGs (including two other MMOs - WoW and RIFT) starting in 1984. So having to admit that I'm just not capable any more.... is very very sad for me. And - TES is my "home" universe. So just one more layer of "not happy"....
      Edited by TaSheen on 22 June 2023 02:18

• Braffin
      Braffin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭

The problem is a bit deeper than that though: many of those doing veteran content are not happy about that being their only percieved option. I really hate to recommend you read this entire thread.... but there are a fairly large number of posts where long time players are not happy that they are "relegated" to "vet content".

I read about that (didn't work through the whole thread yet, but got quite a bit done already) and I'm also one of the players which is feeling this way. That was not always the case tho, so I thought about that.

Thing is, the distinction casual/veteran is far too simplified. Almost nobody is doing veteran content exclusively, most of us also like playing casual. I do like to go fishing for example or simply enjoying the atmosphere. But I also want some content to push my limits. This content was available plenty times ago and was gutted year after year. The remaining veteran content got nerfed over and over again, all in the name of accessibility. Not to help disabled people, but to satisfy players of lesser skill. And yes, I'll say it blunt: The most difficult content in a game must not be accessible, but encouraging, otherwise difficulty is gone, as well as the players, which are looking for it, are.

The veteran players, which are still around, are of course bored, as they is not enough content for them around. So one is thinking about options how to change that. And you don't have to think long before the idea of a toggle for existing content is coming in mind. This way "veteran overland" was born in my opinion. It's not the case that veteran players are demanding suddenly a "bigger part of the cake" out of nowhere. They feel marginalized and not welcome anymore. And they adress this for years meanwhile.

Maybe the endless dungeon mode in Q4 will relax the situation to some extent. At least I hope so, as with the release of Necrom and the implemented difficulty changes to WBs and world events can be seen, zos is at least trying to do something. I'm not a fan of the idea to enforce this on everybody tho, that's clearly an error.

But something has to change, and I honestly don't care if it's by "veteran overland", more meaningful endgame content or any other viable solution. It's simply about don't feeling pushed out of this game.

On a sidenote: I always enjoyed to help out other players, be it by lending a hand if I see someone struggling in a fight with a WB, running some dungeon with more casual players to let them experience the story at their own pace and similar things. But with every "just nerf yourself", every "take it or leave", every "this game isn't for you" (while framing developer interviews, like it was done in another thread today for example) I'm less incentivized to do so. I rarely help randoms meanwhile and I'm not alone with this. That's also something the people, which are opposing every viable compromise should think of. Everyone is affected, if the community is fighting each other instead of cooperating, as we already see in forums, when people are reporting it's getting harder to find help for various activities.
      Edited by Braffin on 22 June 2023 03:18
      ---
    • BasP
      BasP
      ✭✭✭✭

The bottom line is that there's a fairly significant population of veterans who want harder overland because they WANT to experience the story questing.

Admittedly that applies to me too, sort of. ESO is the first (and only) MMO I've really played and I only started playing it because I got bored of modding Skyrim for the 1000th time. I basically play ESO as a single player game however, mostly due to being an introvert, insecure in group content and experiencing some weird online social anxiety, so I don't do any Trials or other content for "end-gamers".

But I do enjoy doing more challenging content like the solo veteran arena's, attempting DLC dungeons on my own and doing World Bosses in the DLCs. Hence I actually like that the Bastion Nymics and some of the WBs in Necrom pose a slight challenge (while they can still be done solo if one does the mechanics). So when a small number of other players are calling for flat out nerfs to them (because "they are way too difficult for the generic player", "can't be done solo" etcetera), and the only choice is between a nerf or keeping them the way they are, my vote goes to the latter.

I'd be all for something that gives us a choice between multiple difficulties though, like "Hard Mode" toggles in front of bosses or a Veteran Overland instance.

On a sidenote, while I like the idea of challenging Main Quest bosses, I of course feel that everyone should be able to do these quests regardless of ping, age, disablities and so forth. If some aren't doable at the moment that's a shame, and a story/easy mode toggle or whatever would be nice to have.
    • colossalvoids
      colossalvoids
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

On a sidenote: I always enjoyed to help out other players, be it by lending a hand if I see someone struggling in a fight with a WB, running some dungeon with more casual players to let them experience the story at their own pace and similar things. But with every "just nerf yourself", every "take it or leave", every "this game isn't for you" (while framing developer interviews, like it was done in another thread today for example) I'm less incentivized to do so. I rarely help randoms meanwhile and I'm not alone with this. That's also something the people, which are opposing every viable compromise should think of. Everyone is affected, if the community is fighting each other instead of cooperating, as we already see in forums, when people are reporting it's getting harder to find help for various activities.

Not that I'm heated by any of it (I probably was when thread was created as even wrote Rich about the issue like a week prior 😂) but I've catched myself on the same page recently when talking about it with one of my ig friends. He mentioned that with all the things he read about vets existing to help new and unable players and not to enjoy the game they want he kinda lost any interest in helping people out and just runs past nowadays doing his own thing, why obviously it's not everyone's stance. Then I've reflected on why I'm doing the same exact thing nowadays and yeah it lead back to this topic on forums lol. Personally I'm taking my own enjoyment more seriously now rather than offering hours every day to strangers, which was different kind of fun.
      Still one of the best related memories was the guy that insisted on his inability to weave and having his 600+ ping would never let him get xyz, then after weeks with him going over everything I can, met him after like half a year with dro-m'athra skin. The man did it 🥲

This aside one thing made me happier about ESO overland, it's that I'm back to not "maining" eso and playing (catching up?) different games way more, so I'm not in overland that much as previously haha.
    • Mandragon
      Mandragon
      ✭✭
      Currently I am doing overland naked with only decent weapons, No CP other than some select movement / harvesting / crafting lines. Overland content is now Very Easy vs VERY VERY Easy at lvl 19. Still it is an improvement. I feel bad using companions but honest I want to experience that content. Still it sucks that using companions may make the combat experience worse in Overland (where I spend most of my time).

I am:
      - Not a a hardcore player
      - Don't have maxed everything.
      - Casual player with a busy life style.
      - I love good stories but also like the combat to match the story to maximize immersion in it.

I have quit and come back to the game multiple times hoping that it the overland wouldn't make me fall asleep. This time I'm doing it naked... let us hope I can still to enjoy the story lines without melting everything before they finishing saying "Hi" as I continue to level up my character.

Dont think I need to offer ideas or solutions since based on my read of the thread many many very reasonable compromises and ideas have been presented. Reddit, the media and these very forums are often highlighting the issue and this is the number one thread on the forum from what I can see.

Really hoping the devs take action but hey.... they may not. I am a customer like all others and represent what I believe is a large segment of potential market share for Zenimax. They just need to find a way to keep this segment interested in ESO and keep playing.

Fun times!!!
    • spartaxoxo
      spartaxoxo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually there were about a half dozen posters (quite far back IIRC - like maybe in the first 20 or so pages) who actually stated unequivocally that overland should be made a lot harder and those who weren't on board could just tough it up and learn how to play (paraphrased - I'm not going to go looking either).

AFAIK, by the time the thread was at 50 pages or thereabouts, those posters had left the thread. A couple of them I think might have reappeared for a post or so later.

Yup. It popped up way more often the first 50-75 pages but then died down. It comes back up every now and again. I also remember ideas that would defacto make it mandatory like enemies automatically scaling to your cp up to 3k.
    • Braffin
      Braffin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      As the original thread was closed during video processing I'll post my personal experience with "fighting the troll" in this thread.

For this attempt following rules apply:

- Toon is lvl 50, all points in stam, no CP slotted.
      - No armor, jewelry, buff food, pots and further unnecessary paraphernalia are applied.
      - Weapons: 2x dagger CP 160, white, no trait, no enchants
      - It's strictly a one-bar-"build" to keep things simple.
      - Used skills: LA, HA, bloodthirst
      - Mechanics of the troll were respected, as I refuse to simulate a complete moron. Scuttler avoided AoE quite well too (he is a veteran in the end)

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/GW_jTlNvqd8

Result: Definitely more tedious, but still braindead easy :wink:
      Edited by Braffin on 22 June 2023 17:51
      ---
    • CameraBeardThePirate
      CameraBeardThePirate
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Ok, seems I was wrong and that there have been dev updates (at least somewhat recently). Please just keep this topic in mind. Going on 2 years now with no real plans announced is frustrating for a lot of players
      Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on 22 June 2023 18:11
    • Kendaric
      Kendaric
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      As the original thread was closed during video processing I'll post my personal experience with "fighting the troll" in this thread.

For this attempt I following rules apply:

- No armor, jewelry, buff food, pots and further unnecessary paraphernalia are applied.
      - Mechanics of the troll were respected, as I refuse to simulate a complete moron. Scuttler avoided AoE quite well too (he is a veteran in the end)

Enjoy!

Result. Definitely more tedious, but still braindead easy :wink:

And that is what a "veteran overland" would be like, if ZOS ever implemented it.

Well.. almost. They'd probably make it even more tedious by tripling mob health.
        PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      • SilverBride
        SilverBride
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Please disregard as the concern is being addressed below.
        Edited by SilverBride on 22 June 2023 18:20
        PCNA
      • Braffin
        Braffin
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭

For this attempt I following rules apply:

Enjoy!

Result. Definitely more tedious, but still braindead easy :wink:

And that is what a "veteran overland" would be like, if ZOS ever implemented it.

Well.. almost. They'd probably make it even more tedious by tripling mob health.

Well, at least I could use all the other functions this game offers, like crafting, sets, character development and so on :wink:

But I think you get what I try to show: The issues we have is not about builds or dps, but only about mechanics, which are turned down at a hilarious state nowadays.

This is harmful for newer players as well as veterans, the only profiteers are the brainless farmers, which need to get to the rewards asap, so they can convert them in crown crates to feed onto their gambling addiction.
        ---
      • ZOS_Kevin
        ZOS_Kevin
        Community Manager
        @CameraBeardThePirate This was the last full statement on this issue and there hasn't been a change. The team is aware and constantly talking about ways to address this. As some others also stated, Rich did expand on this at our community meet-up in Vegas, but the core message was the same. However, we'll add the recording at some point in the future. That way, everyone can get access to that as well.
        ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
        Hi All, as many of you have noted already from Rich's interview, there are no current plans for changing the structure of overland content. It is something we will continue to look at, so constructive feedback is always appreciated.

[...]

IKYMI: Rich's Quote on Overland Content
        "That's a difficult one because difficulty is definitely subjective. We have millions of players that play The Elder Scrolls Online, and a large portion of them find the game hard and the Overland content challenging, especially as a new player when you don't have gold, all the gear, and Champion Points. Ultimately it comes down to, if we make the game harder, what are the incentives for players to play it at the harder level? That opens up a whole huge can of worms. I also look back and remember we had harder Overland content. We had Cadwell Silver, we had Cadwell Gold, and players really didn't like it. It was too hard for them, and when we did One Tamriel, we ripped all that out based on player feedback. Like, nobody did it. So it's a challenging subject and a difficult question to answer. All I can really say is we're definitely looking at it, but we don't have any major changes planned for the Overland difficulty."

Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
        Staff Post