Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Overland Content Feedback Thread

• SacredNym
    SacredNym
    ✭✭✭
    I think the that the buffing of World Bosses and the addition of Bastion Nymics, as much as I personally love them, was sort of like treating the knee for a shoulder injury. The real problem was never the vents, harrowstorms, world bosses, or other supposed "group" content in the overland. The problem for me at least, was and still is, the main story. Especially since it devalues the threat level that the villains ostensibly provide.

Still, I'm not so sure just targeting "harder" really solves anything on its own. The various "boss fights" you encounter across the story should rather be made more engaging and mechanic focused. I would say a relatively slow pace, but including both mechanics that are very easy to execute with extensive punishment for failure, and mechanics that are tight but can easily be bounced back from.

The bosses also need more Health so they don't just get nuked in 20 seconds. Even the earliest fights should probably aim for 1m health or more, but to help out lesser skilled players and players with lower damage builds, I would personally make a standard of increasing the boss' incoming damage with a stacking debuff over time, preferably by mechanic cycles. That way, the difference in kill time can be made much less insane than it even is in game right now. Instead of a kill time spread of 0:20-6:00, it could be more like 2:00-3:30.

Of course the elephant in the room is that the game makes basically no attempt to teach players how to play it. The combat tutorial not only fails to teach important tells for why you're doing things (who else didn't notice that interruptible enemy casts had a red charge animation for the first 500 hours+ of play?), it also teaches bad and ultimately useless habits (heavy attacks to stun off-balance enemies is something that is never relevant in PvE, and I'd be surprised if it was in PvP. Also not tutorializing the use of skills in combat pushes a lot of new players in my experience to treat light attacks as their "spammable"). Much of Balfiera is wonderful but the combat tutorials leave a lot to be desired.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SacredNym wrote: »
    Of course the elephant in the room is that the game makes basically no attempt to teach players how to play it. The combat tutorial not only fails to teach important tells for why you're doing things (who else didn't notice that interruptible enemy casts had a red charge animation for the first 500 hours+ of play?), it also teaches bad and ultimately useless habits (heavy attacks to stun off-balance enemies is something that is never relevant in PvE, and I'd be surprised if it was in PvP. Also not tutorializing the use of skills in combat pushes a lot of new players in my experience to treat light attacks as their "spammable"). Much of Balfiera is wonderful but the combat tutorials leave a lot to be desired.

This is assuming that all players want to increase their combat abilities and engage in challenging content. But the truth is that a lot of players just want to quest and enjoy the story, and do housing and crafting and antiquities and trading and many of the multiple other activities available in this game.

There are ways to learn these things, such as joining guilds, looking up builds on the Internet, and talking to other players. It's been like this in every MMO I've ever played. But first the players have to want to do it, and that is not everyone's goal.
    Edited by SilverBride on 28 June 2023 16:23
    PCNA
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is assuming that all players want to increase their combat abilities and engage in challenging content. But the truth is that a lot of players just want to quest and enjoy the story, and do housing and crafting and antiquities and trading and many of the multiple other activities available in this game.

I guess some people do indeed want to simply walk into Mordor. I think that would have made for a very boring trilogy.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at my age, state of (not very good) reflexes, and mega satellite ping, I don't enjoy the combat at all - "easy" as so many say it is.

Right now, I'm not interested in killing anything, especially if forced into it. And considering how almost impossibly hard I found the last couple of zone MSQ bosses (Vandacia and Ascendent Mage), I won't be doing any questng much at all any more.

So go ahead devs - ramp overland up 25 times. I'm not playing it now, and won't be playing it then.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »

I guess some people do indeed want to simply walk into Mordor. I think that would have made for a very boring trilogy.

Ubisoft did something like this in their AC series with discovery mode.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It isn't as simple as you make it out to be. There are players like me who can't really improve for whatever reasons.

Yes, I'll freely admit to have no desire to ever get into challenging stuff like vet dungeons or even normal dungeons, trials and arenas. I am completely content with being able to do most quest content and overland stuff (including world bosses, but I'll never be able to solo them) and public dungeons.

Yes, certain things could be changed (and maybe should be) such as:

Low level buff: There is no need to buff low level characters to high heaven. A buff needs to exist, sure, but it could be lowered. Maybe to just the equivalent of what a level 50 character without CP would be.

Overland enemies: Some creatures need to be buffed, that's basically unavoidable. Giants, trolls, ogres, mammoth and bears could use a buff.

CP: Disable the application of CP on any sub-50 characters.

They could add a hard-mode scroll to story/bosses, but then the normal versions need to be brought down somewhat. At least the more recent end of storyline bosses like Lady Belain, Rada al-Saran or the Ascendant Magus. Those were just frustrating to fight.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • SilverBride
      SilverBride
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a huge difference between watching a movie and what we find enjoyable to take part in ourselves.
      PCNA
    • CameraBeardThePirate
      CameraBeardThePirate
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Kendaric wrote: »
      Overland enemies: Some creatures need to be buffed, that's basically unavoidable. Giants, trolls, ogres, mammoth and bears could use a buff.

This (and of course quest bosses) are the biggest example of what I personally view as "wrong" with the Overland.

Bears, Sabre Cats, Giants, Dremora, Daedroths, Trolls, etc. are supposed to be tough fights - they've always been tough in Elder Scrolls games and there's oodles and oodles of in-game text supporting this.

Yet, for a lot of players, these "dangerous enemies" die in a cool 3 seconds. It just makes things feel bland, underwhelming, and unrewarding.

Like, I get that your everyday mobs are just fodder - that's the point of them. But if I hear an adventurer/quest giver lamenting their defeat at the hands of an ancient Daedroth inside a delve, and said Daedroth dies from a gust of wind, I leave feeling unfulfilled.
      Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on 28 June 2023 18:11
    • SilverBride
      SilverBride
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Bears, Sabre Cats, Giants, Dremora, Daedroths, Trolls, etc. are supposed to be tough fights - they've always been tough in Elder Scrolls games and there's oodles and oodles of in-game text supporting this.

Yet, for a lot of players, these "dangerous enemies" die in a cool 3 seconds. It just makes things feel bland, underwhelming, and unrewarding.

Like, I get that your everyday mobs are just fodder - that's the point of them. But if I hear an adventurer/quest giver lamenting their defeat at the hands of an ancient Daedroth inside a delve, and said Daedroth dies from a gust of wind, I leave feeling unfulfilled.

in real life bears and sabre cats etc. can rip a man to shreds, but it only takes one shot of a man's rifle to drop them. Why should this be any different?
      PCNA
    • CameraBeardThePirate
      CameraBeardThePirate
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭

in real life bears and sabre cats etc. can rip a man to shreds, but it only takes one shot of a man's rifle to drop them. Why should this be any different?

Because this isn't real life. It's a video game.
    • Braffin
      Braffin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭

Well, bears, sabre cats etc. can't rip anything to shreds in eso. That's the major problem.

At least enough incoming dmg to force players to respect mechanics would be the bare minimum to don't get pushed out of immersion.
      Edited by Braffin on 28 June 2023 18:28
      ---
      Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    • SilverBride
      SilverBride
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly. And in this video game I am a hero who should be able to kill trash mobs with ease.
      PCNA
    • Braffin
      Braffin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭

It isn't as simple as you make it out to be. There are players like me who can't really improve for whatever reasons.

Yes, I'll freely admit to have no desire to ever get into challenging stuff like vet dungeons or even normal dungeons, trials and arenas. I am completely content with being able to do most quest content and overland stuff (including world bosses, but I'll never be able to solo them) and public dungeons.

Low level buff: There is no need to buff low level characters to high heaven. A buff needs to exist, sure, but it could be lowered. Maybe to just the equivalent of what a level 50 character without CP would be.

They could add a hard-mode scroll to story/bosses, but then the normal versions need to be brought down somewhat. At least the more recent end of storyline bosses like Lady Belain, Rada al-Saran or the Ascendant Magus. Those were just frustrating to fight.

I can agree with most of your ideas.

And out of interest: How is your opinion about less but in return more meaningful/impactful mechanics? For example not blocking when told to do really hurts the character.
      ---
    • Agenericname
      Agenericname
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭

I seriously doubt that a sabrecat, or sabretooth cat, has ever died to a gunshot.
    • Braffin
      Braffin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭

Exactly. And in this video game I am a hero who should be able to kill trash mobs with ease.

Unfortunately it doesn't take a hero to do so. Every hero in this walking simulator is damned to die out of boredom. No wonder our toons dialogue options are somewhat wierd. They simply don't pay attention anymore :wink:
      Edited by Braffin on 28 June 2023 18:54
      ---
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I'm not dying of boredom. It depends on what is fun for me, which isn't going to be the same as anyone else playing the game.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

• CameraBeardThePirate
      CameraBeardThePirate
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭

Cool, and I don't disagree with that at all. No one is suggesting any sort of difficulty increase be forced on everyone. People are wanting some form of toggle.

You might want to kill everything with ease, but myself and many others want a bit more challenge, and we have the right to that just as much as you have the right to vaporize mobs.
    • Kendaric
      Kendaric
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Braffin wrote: »

And out of interest: How is your opinion about less but in return more meaningful/impactful mechanics? For example not blocking when told to do really hurts the character.

Mechanics are double-edged sword for me... while I try to respect them, it's not always possible for me. Also, the fact that every counter to mechanics requires stamina makes it somewhat hard for pure stamina users like me (yes, were it for me they could just delete magicka entirely :) )

Another problem I have with many mechanics is how strongly they are affected by even a bit of lag... dodge to avoid that clannfear pouncing on you? Well, better not have lag or you'll find yourself on the floor, having to break free.

Also, most overland enemies have actually mechanics. It's just that a player's damage output is too high, so in most cases you don't even see them.

Edited by Kendaric on 28 June 2023 19:17
        PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      • Braffin
        Braffin
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭
        TaSheen wrote: »
        I'm not dying of boredom. It depends on what is fun for me, which isn't going to be the same as anyone else playing the game.

Yes, I know that. And I also respect that.

Thing is, you aren't trying to sacrifice the fun of a lot of other players by blocking off every rational argument.

I want fun for as much players as possible too. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with thinking about solutions but simply conter "I want it as easy as it is" with "I want it harder".
        ---
      • Muizer
        Muizer
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I don't think it is unreasonable for ESO to provide overland difficulty that is somewhat in line with an elder scrolls game. At least those games give you something to figure out: how do I get past a bunch of foes. Do I pick them off one by one? Which do I kill first? Do I sneak past? Is there some way to use the environment to my advantage? That should matter

In ESO overland quests there's just none of that. It's actually hardly possible to die to most (packs of) overland mobs. Even as a glass canon you can stand there and passively heal faster than the incoming damage. Might as well remove them, if it weren't for the fact that the quests themselves all revolve about there being enemies that need defeating.

Without any opposition worth taking into consideration, no quest matters. No achievement matters. Nothing matters. There's only trinkets left to hoard and achievement boxes to tick. Evidently that's good enough for many players (whether it's good for them is debatable) but it's really remote from what the ES series stands for, and that just happens to be an important consideration for this MMO.

Edited by Muizer on 28 June 2023 19:41
        Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
      • Braffin
        Braffin
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭
        Braffin wrote: »

Mechanics are double-edged sword for me... while I try to respect them, it's not always possible for me. Also, the fact that every counter to mechanics requires stamina makes it somewhat hard for pure stamina users like me (yes, were it for me they could just delete magicka entirely :) )

Another problem I have with many mechanics is how strongly they are affected by even a bit of lag... dodge to avoid that clannfear pouncing on you? Well, better not have lag or you'll find yourself on the floor, having to break free.

Also, most overland enemies have actually mechanics. It's just that a player's damage output is too high, so in most cases you don't even see them.

I see.

My problem is almost the same, but coming from the opposite direction one could say. I don't play my group or arena builds when questing in overland (so I indeed know about the mob mechanics and do my best to respect them) but a special melee build (not purely stamina, but not flashy either btw) to bring down dmg somewhat (most enemies take 2-3 hits before they die).

My two major problems are:
        1) Every now and then I kill a boss by accident while he's still talking and therefore miss the conversation.
        2) I'm never in any form of danger. Sure, I dodge, block, interrupt and all of that, most of the time even walking and relying on gap closers. But I do that because I want to, not because I need to. That's unsatisfying and immersion-breaking.

I think we're looking for similar experiences in the end. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that a adjustable "battle-scaling-slider" could do the trick without the need of separate "worlds". I mean, it's possible for toons below lvl 50, so there is no reason not to extend this system to veterans (yeah, in the end all players with cp are vets).
        ---
      • spartaxoxo
        spartaxoxo
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I never had much trouble with mobs in the default mode in Elder Scrolls. Elder Scrolls players have modded those games easier and more difficult and have had ez modes for years at this point. Difficulty is not a cornerstone of the ES series. It's something we've always been able to customize with a slider.

• SilverBride
        SilverBride
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Many of us don't see struggling, especially with overland trash mobs, as fun.
        PCNA
      • Braffin
        Braffin
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭

And most of us wouldn't start struggling because of a slight improvement of difficulty. Nobody is suggesting to make all zones a vma scorerun.
        ---
      • CameraBeardThePirate
        CameraBeardThePirate
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭

Again: not a single person I've seen is asking for a difficulty increase for every player.

Every request I've seen is for an option to increase difficulty. If you don't want to struggle with mobs, you don't have to.
      • SilverBride
        SilverBride
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭

Again: not a single person I've seen is asking for a difficulty increase for every player.

Every request I've seen is for an option to increase difficulty. If you don't want to struggle with mobs, you don't have to.

Yes some are.
        PCNA
      • TaSheen
        TaSheen
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        A minority were some months back (or maybe a year ago by now) - and there's one poster (not in this thread) who's called out for that in some thread or other that I saw over the last week maybe.

It never was "many" of them. However.... after years of dealing with how ZOS functions, I am not willing to bet that what ZOS WON'T do is pick up on those posts and absolutely do just that - raise the overland combat level to the serious annoyance of making every fight take forever (because bullet sponges) AND make the mobs so close you can't just get past them without being bothered.

• Muizer
        Muizer
        ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes some are.

In the end it doesn't matter what we ask for in that regard. I think the game should have been more difficult from the start (think lower Craglorn the way it used to be), and I would love it if it were made so now, but I know full well asking for that is pointless. It's not going to happen. The only way an overland difficulty increase can happen is if ZoS decides it is worthwhile adding another dimension to split the player base along. I think there are good arguments for it (would also get rid of elitist gatekeeping for instance) but probably also against it (more resource intensive, low population per shard, reward disparity, technical complexity and so on).
        Edited by Muizer on 28 June 2023 20:22
        Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
      • Vhozek
        Vhozek
        ✭✭✭✭✭

Ain't no guns here, yet.
        The Redguards haven't bust out the pirate pistol and Dwemer haven't left behind a BFG yet.
        𝗡𝗼𝘁 𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗿𝘆, 𝗺𝗼𝗱𝘀. 𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗕𝗶𝗿𝗱 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴.
      • Braffin
        Braffin
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭
        Vhozek wrote: »

Ain't no guns here, yet.
        The Redguards haven't bust out the pirate pistol and Dwemer haven't left behind a BFG yet.

Some say Mora gifted the BFG to arcanists tho. :D
        ---