Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dissapointed That Nocturnal Looks Like a Budget Cosplayer

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    Look at Nocturnal, the main antagonist of the summerset chapter
    y71ij2klu1bz.png

Now look at Mephala, she slays nocturnal completely.
    atpqsiqk05dw.png

And Clavicus Vile
    wlq5g4mrvmwe.png

And finally Hircine
    68a33893510406ab77c401f08f3bb866.jpg
    All outshine nocturnal who has a simple bathing robe.

Are we gonna have a dev comment on this?

Clavicus wasnt too bad but I feel like hes right there with Nocturnal in that both of them dont have unique Models. It really annoys me that theyre taking the lazy approach to these characters that have such important roles not only in this story but their part in the lore and history of Elder Scrolls. Clavicus has what looks to be the Covenant War-Locks, the Elder Council Tunic and Sash, Male Bosmer body and his basic minion skaafin horns. Granted Clavicus is always portrayed as a small male. It just seems odd that they didnt attempt to give him something more unique and noteworthy.

As you say, Clavicus is always depicted like this, they did a very faithful job with him. What makes him stand out is Barbas, who was also great. They could have given him his masque, but I don't think they needed to.

Hircine seems a bit odd to me, though. He's too fat/muscular compared to his previous agile representations, and the deer head is usually only a skull. But at least he did get a special look, unlike Nocturnal.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We understand what Gina is saying, and I will say that overall Summerset is great, but it’s not perfect. The devs need to know if something is wrong with what they are doing, and the Nocturnal character graphics was poorly done. It’s too late to change it, but at least they will know next time that if you are going to portray a Daedric entity, and the main character in the storyline, you had better do it right.
    Edited by Ashtaris on 12 June 2018 05:33
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one time I decide to come back to the forums, I am now reminded why I left.....I'm just gonna leave this here...

Listen, we are not telling the devs that they should feel bad because they made one mistake out of many good deeds...many of us are also passionate about the game and want to see eso in the best shape as possible. Nocturnal was presented as the main villain of the story and I want to hear if they plan to update nocturnal or not. I am sure they had to meet deadlines meet and just because it released like this state doesn't mean that they cant go back and fix it, its an mmo and they can go and backtrack and update models just like they did in the past.
    Edited by Aliyavana on 12 June 2018 05:27
  • AefionBloodclaw
    AefionBloodclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    I honestly do not believe whoever did the terrible quality Nocturnal design put their heart into it. Who would put their heart into it, with that model? Personally I feel like ESO is a great game due to the art team and writers but I would rather have had Summerset pushed back a couple months in order to get a decent quality villain done for the chapter. That said, I think we as a player base, deserve a little acknowledgement, like even just something confirming that they didn't have time or budget or something and that they plan to go back and update Nocturnal at a later stage.
    'For love, for friendship and for valour, I stand with the Aldmeri Dominion.'

Zephyrle Starbreeze, Bosmer Nightblade
    Aefion Bloodclaw, Bosmer Sorcerer
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one time I decide to come back to the forums, I am now reminded why I left.....I'm just gonna leave this here...

Should I feel ashamed?
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If they don´t meet our expectations... It´s their deal if they can´t stand criticism. On the other hand, that tweet is so lame and prude...
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I can’t help but think you took that post out of context. I sincerely doubt that they poured their heart and soul into putting a costume on a generic character model for the main antagonist. That was more of a “let’s get this done quickly” decision.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Meh. It could use some work, but not Andromeda bad.

Im more concerned with the seizure inducing frame rates/lag and cyrodiil load screens (in combat).
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Meh. It could use some work, but not Andromeda bad.

Im more concerned with the seizure inducing frame rates/lag and cyrodiil load screens (in combat).

Lmao its definitely not andromeda bad. I doubt anything could be that bad.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Aebaradath
    Aebaradath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    y71ij2klu1bz.png

atpqsiqk05dw.png

And Clavicus Vile
    wlq5g4mrvmwe.png

And finally Hircine

Clavicus wasnt too bad but I feel like hes right there with Nocturnal in that both of them dont have unique Models. It really annoys me that theyre taking the lazy approach to these characters that have such important roles not only in this story but their part in the lore and history of Elder Scrolls. Clavicus has what looks to be the Covenant War-Locks, the Elder Council Tunic and Sash, Male Bosmer body and his basic minion skaafin horns. Granted Clavicus is always portrayed as a small male. It just seems odd that they didnt attempt to give him something more unique and noteworthy.

Clavicus was pretty good imo, but not excellent
    Clavicus looks like a drunkard sent by Sanguine with ice cream cones glued to his head.
  • A_Silverius
    A_Silverius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the moment I think a quick fix for this is to replace her current model with one of the shrikes. Please Zos :) They look better than the nocturnal we have atm which looks just like another player character.
    28kqyd1.png
    I'm not sure what she's trying to do here because of that poker face.
    Edited by A_Silverius on 13 June 2018 15:43
    All over Tamriel, theres a sudden spike in Bosmers getting caught for their crimes. A sad day indeed... #FightForYourRite Give Bosmers back our stealth!
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the moment I think a quick fix for this is to replace her current model with one of the shrikes. Please Zos :) They look better than the nocturnal we have atm which looks just like another player character.
    28kqyd1.png

rpzka78nfd8u.png
    A reskin of this would be sufficient
    Edited by Aliyavana on 13 June 2018 20:46
  • Menelaos
    Menelaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, words can hurt. But that is only one side of the coin as we can clearly see on nine pages of criticism that also design decisions (or the lack thereof) can hurt. ZOS should take this very, very seriously as we are not talking about a minor sidekick NPC here but about the rewarding closure of a major plot that spanned multiple DLCs.

ZOS may feel deeply insulted by the remarks but

2c78jo.jpg
    ...und Gallileo dreht sich doch!
  • A_Silverius
    A_Silverius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Menelaos wrote: »
    Yes, words can hurt. But that is only one side of the coin as we can clearly see on nine pages of criticism that also design decisions (or the lack thereof) can hurt. ZOS should take this very, very seriously as we are not talking about a minor sidekick NPC here but about the rewarding closure of a major plot that spanned multiple DLCs.

ZOS may feel deeply insulted by the remarks but

2c78jo.jpg

Can't see the picture.
    All over Tamriel, theres a sudden spike in Bosmers getting caught for their crimes. A sad day indeed... #FightForYourRite Give Bosmers back our stealth!
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She kinda looks like the exec from westworld... Tessa Thompson

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.hellogiggles.com%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F09%2F03042843%2Ftessa-thompson-e1504463350226.jpg&w=700&q=85
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • A_Silverius
    A_Silverius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Argh a living bobblehead!
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necrus011 wrote: »
    I agree the Nocturnal's appearance was pretty bad, but even worse, her role didn't make much sense or mesh with established lore.

If anything, Mephala should have been the one who betrayed the triad, given she is associated with murder, betrayal, and fate.

Moreover, the whole primordial darkness/preceding the creation of oblivion angle didn't previously apply to Nocturnal. That is Namira's domain.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Namira

Granted, Nocturnal is the Daedric Prince of night and shadow, but she has always been more associated with thieves and luck rather than inter-planar domination.

Nocturnal's characterization and appearance leave much to be desired. I am not sure why ZOS has decided to give her the traits of already established Princes. It is almost like they had plenty of crow, swamp, ghost, and wisp assets and didn't want to develop something more unique that would fit a more appropriate choice of Daedric Prince.

I totally agree. I've been avoiding this thread until I had completed the Summerset main story; and, I honestly thought Mephala would be the one to betray The Triad and become the main villain. Mephala is the web-spinner and betrayer, after all. The Summerset story would have been better if Nocturnal and Mephala's roles were simply swapped/reversed, in my opinion. ESPECIALLY since Mephala is probably one of the most evil-looking characters I've ever seen. And, Nocturnal, is, well, as everyone else said -- plain, and boring. Noctunal looked cooler in Skyrim, and probably any other TES in-game source material.

Just imagine if it had been Mephala's projection and her 8-legs creeping over you on the Crystal Tower, instead of Nocturnal and her .. fisticuffs? *Sigh* What a major disappointment, I'll try to not let it get to me.

I also thought it was really funny that Clavius Vile slaughtered his own cultists after Nocturnal's betrayal, lmao. I'd only expect that behavior from Boethiah/Sheogorath/Mehrunes Dagon/Molag Bal/Mephala.

I wonder what Mephala and Sotha Sil's "private meeting/conversation" was about. This probably won't be the last we see of Mephala. Just a hunch.
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Darkmage1337
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,900.
  • Lyserus
    Lyserus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wonder if we can get a model change for Nocturnal when the "official release" come out?
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lyserus wrote: »
    I wonder if we can get a model change for Nocturnal when the "official release" come out?
    Wasn't Summerset officially released already?
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    logarifmik wrote: »

It was, two weeks ago.

Man I just did the quest today. How can you make a Daedric Prince so ugly? Not that she's looking like an ugly Redguard, she's wearing a cheap-ass robe on top of that.
    Edited by Seraphayel on 18 June 2018 20:38
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

It was, two weeks ago.

Man I just did the quest today. How can you make a Daedric Prince so ugly? Not that she's looking like an ugly Redguard, she's wearing a cheap-ass robe on top of that.

she should have atleast looked like a beautiful redgaurd
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

It was, two weeks ago.

Preferably with long black hair. But nevetheless I fail to see why she should appear as a black women. I don't have nothing against black people, but it looks almost like a black Achilles to me.
    Edited by logarifmik on 18 June 2018 23:38
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I dunno, she could have looked remote and untouchable and that would have been cool too IMO. Or if they were going to make her ugly, make it obvious they were doing it deliberately like the Hagravens. But as-is the Daedric Prince of Pixelation just looks kind of dumpy and unintimidating. :\
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.hellogiggles.com%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F09%2F03042843%2Ftessa-thompson-e1504463350226.jpg&w=700&q=85

If Nocturnal looked like Tessa Thompson people wouldn't be complaining.

The model did stick out like a sore thumb in this scene so I hope they improve it. Vile wasn't very good either. It's readily apparent all work went into Mephala who looks great.
  • A_Silverius
    A_Silverius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But as-is the Daedric Prince of Pixelation just looks kind of dumpy and unintimidating. :\

giphy-downsized-large.gif
  • Mannix1958
    Mannix1958
    ✭✭✭✭

Listen, we are not telling the devs that they should feel bad because they made one mistake out of many good deeds...many of us are also passionate about the game and want to see eso in the best shape as possible. Nocturnal was presented as the main villain of the story and I want to hear if they plan to update nocturnal or not. I am sure they had to meet deadlines meet and just because it released like this state doesn't mean that they cant go back and fix it, its an mmo and they can go and backtrack and update models just like they did in the past.

Told ya you were beating a dead horse....
  • Sasyk
    Sasyk
    ✭✭✭
    I was kinda hoping nocturnal would look like a dark silhouette that's never really in focus.
    Sasyk Ik-ce - Spacey Ricochet - Swaggette - Andrea Ik-ce - Avari Lebe - Rubi Malone - Amaryllis Fox - Sergeant Moxy - Moon Unit Zoey - Retro Betty - Emmanuelle Sinclair
    Nightfighters - Sempiternal Way - Macro and Cheese
  • Esha76
    Esha76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find myself wondering… Have ZOS overburdened themselves with their goals of yearly content releases?

For example, just looking at the random wildlife in Summerset… Things like welwas and fellrunners. Obviously pulled right from Craglorn. Though, the lore guy was on ESO Live and stated that welwas apparently originated in Summerset and were removed due to ferocity and just plain being uncivilized… Whether that’s true official Tamrielic history, or just the writing they came up with to shorten development time, who knows or cares.

The point is, there is only so much developers can produce in “X” amount of time. And with the likes of 2 dungeon DLCs, a QoL update, a story DLC, and a chapter being pumped out each year… Can devs and the art team reasonably be expected to create so many unique aspects in all this content in such a specific amount of time?

I am still disappointed to see they cut corners with the main antagonist appearance, yet they certainly found time to make a gorgeous Nocturnal statue for the RNG crates….

TL/DR: I’m not trying to make a back-handed point. I am sincerely asking if all this content each year is a reasonable expectation, and goal, for a top-quality video game?
    "There is no moisture in your angry stares." - Laughs-at-All
    "I don't know why I bother guarding you horrible people." - Orama Sadas
    "Scales here is about to have a really bad day..." - Valeric
    "Just tell me what you're doing here before I turn your heart into a tomato..." - Sereyne
    "Break those rocks! Dig those ditches! Why??? Because I want you to!!!" - Ifriz the Unraveller
    "There are worse masters than I. Far worse." - Molag Bal
    "I humiliated the Daedra in Mehrunes Spite." - You, when turning in a specific Undaunted Daily.
    "I'm not finding you very pleasant!" - Adla the Brewer
    "Old Ri'hirr likes his birds slow and stupid!" - Old Ri'hirr
    "When things get dirty... Oh, I get so flustered." - Meredil the Archivist
    "Too many Argonians about these days..." - Davon's Watch Guard (though I think this one has been removed from game)
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    y71ij2klu1bz.png

atpqsiqk05dw.png

And Clavicus Vile
    wlq5g4mrvmwe.png

And finally Hircine

As you say, Clavicus is always depicted like this, they did a very faithful job with him. What makes him stand out is Barbas, who was also great. They could have given him his masque, but I don't think they needed to.

Hircine seems a bit odd to me, though. He's too fat/muscular compared to his previous agile representations, and the deer head is usually only a skull. But at least he did get a special look, unlike Nocturnal.

My point was actually that they didnt do a faithful job. Hes a generic model. Uses the same horns as his minions and uses Crown Store costumes/hair. The only thing they got right was his stature in which they simply used a Bosmer model for.

He only gets away with it because Nocturnals appearance is far worse thanks to it coming across as a partial rendering.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    y71ij2klu1bz.png

atpqsiqk05dw.png

And Clavicus Vile
    wlq5g4mrvmwe.png

And finally Hircine

My point was actually that they didnt do a faithful job. Hes a generic model. Uses the same horns as his minions and uses Crown Store costumes/hair. The only thing they got right was his stature in which they simply used a Bosmer model for.

He only gets away with it because Nocturnals appearance is far worse thanks to it coming across as a partial rendering.

or maybe his minions look like him? :P
This discussion has been closed.