Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Dissapointed That Nocturnal Looks Like a Budget Cosplayer

• Aebaradath
    Aebaradath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She looks like crap in Skyrim too though...

I would've taken her Nazgûl cosplay in the cinematic trailer over what we got in both games.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would've taken her Nazgûl cosplay in the cinematic trailer over what we got in both games.

she does look more unique in skyrim, although Nordic in appearance.
  • Incognitius
    Incognitius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

True, also in Skyrim she comes no where near the splendor of Lady Mephala. But both her pose and her frock look a lot more elegant there than... whatever this is:

4w6zuywpbrvd.png

:s:#
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a review about this as well. while the costume is appalling, I'm more disappointed that mephala wasn't the main villain. She had more work put into her promotional art and statue only to be a side character.
  • Shawn_PT
    Shawn_PT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be a case of putting more attention and effort into what we like and half-assing what we don't enjoy. In this case I can totally relate. It's still no excuse.

Might also he a case of 'we need to make a statue that people will want to buy, so we have to at the very least make one truly awesome figure. Attention to detail on that one. The rest we can save on time and resources by using old assets.' If they had chosen to make Nocturnal a fantastic model and pick her for the CE statue, Mephala would likely be represented by a regular spider daedra.

Was looking at some footage of a 5 year old game some days ago and I couldn't help but find ESO extremely underwhelming by comparison. It made me feel sad.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shawn_PT wrote: »
    Might be a case of putting more attention and effort into what we like and half-assing what we don't enjoy. In this case I can totally relate. It's still no excuse.

Might also he a case of 'we need to make a statue that people will want to buy, so we have to at the very least make one truly awesome figure. Attention to detail on that one. The rest we can save on time and resources by using old assets.' If they had chosen to make Nocturnal a fantastic model and pick her for the CE statue, Mephala would likely be represented by a regular spider daedra.

Was looking at some footage of a 5 year old game some days ago and I couldn't help but find ESO extremely underwhelming by comparison. It made me feel sad.

Yep, I agree with the theory if nocturnal was the daedric prince that would be represented in the statue, Then she would have had a great character model.
  • Lunatic_Dizzy
    Lunatic_Dizzy
    ✭✭✭
    Well, ZOS is a business and that's how all businesses work. Spend the least amount of money for the highest possible return. This is why most businesses spend more money on marketing and hyping up than they do on the actual product. And these are the results we get. And in return if we yell loudly enough about it, a QoL patch will come to fix an aesthetic issue. And not fixing actual performance issues with the game such as lag, frame rate, freezing, and bugs and glitches.
    Edited by Lunatic_Dizzy on 27 May 2018 23:51
    XB1 / NA
    Lunatic Dizzy (Breton Mag Sorc DPS) *Main
    Lilith the Gilded Flame (Dunmer Mag DK DPS)
    Varissa the Black Widow (Dunmer Mag NB DPS)
    Soraya the Midnight Blade (Khajiit Stam NB DPS)
    Heals-with-the-Heavens (Argonian Templar Healer)
    Scales-of-Stonework (Argonian DK Tank)
  • Wabu
    Wabu
    ✭✭✭
    When I got to this part I thought: "Did some one put a sticker on my screen.." Stood out too much. Is nocturnal hiding a bald head under the hood? Looks like they used a t-pose and moved the forearms down, wiped hands clean and cheered done.
    EU PC | CP 1,000+
    NA PC | Level 10
  • Chicharron
    Chicharron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Nocturnal is a Red Guard...

Nocturnal = Night = Dark = Black

ZOS you diabolical
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

True, also in Skyrim she comes no where near the splendor of Lady Mephala. But both her pose and her frock look a lot more elegant there than... whatever this is:

4w6zuywpbrvd.png

:s:#

Lady Mephala didn't even have a character model in Skyrim
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is specially sad considering the Mephala design is quite fantastic, and the Clavicus Vile design is simple, but fitting.

Hopefully they can at least change her skin. I dunno, give it a unique texture, give her some glowing eyes... Anything, really.
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • Teridaxus
    Teridaxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more annoyed with the voice acting of her.
    4 years later and i still enjoy molag bal taunting me. Even vile or barbas sound more intimidating than her.

Also yeah i'm confused why she is a redguard while being associated with the night. I guess meridia is probaly white as snow then because the moon gives you a tan, doesn't it?
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teridaxus wrote: »
    I'm more annoyed with the voice acting of her.
    4 years later and i still enjoy molag bal taunting me. Even vile or barbas sound more intimidating than her.

Also yeah i'm confused why she is a redguard while being associated with the night. I guess meridia is probaly white as snow then because the moon gives you a tan, doesn't it?

Similarily, the thief constellation is also a redguard in the craglorn storyline, but atleast it is fitting due to craglorn having a ra gada prescence in the history of craglorn. I think nocturnal should have a unnaturally white skin color like the shrikes do or the shadow skin like the cloudrest trial.
    Edited by Aliyavana on 28 May 2018 01:33
  • skyhawk002
    skyhawk002
    ✭✭✭
    I did a review about this as well. while the costume is appalling, I'm more disappointed that mephala wasn't the main villain. She had more work put into her promotional art and statue only to be a side character.

That sure was a plot twist, wasn’t it, eh
  • FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was disappointed as well. I saw Clavicus and Mephala pop up and I was so happy to finally see more princes in the game then Nocturnal popped up and I instantly said WTF is that. Mephala and Clavicus looked unique and awesome and then Nocturnal was just a half-assed redguard. Not gonna let it ruin my experience but if they are gonna take the time with the other 2 why stop with nocturnal
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was disappointed as well. I saw Clavicus and Mephala pop up and I was so happy to finally see more princes in the game then Nocturnal popped up and I instantly said WTF is that. Mephala and Clavicus looked unique and awesome and then Nocturnal was just a half-assed redguard. Not gonna let it ruin my experience but if they are gonna take the time with the other 2 why stop with nocturnal

Yep, biggest dissapointment in the storyline
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't played through the story in Summerset yet, but that is awful. Just plain lazy ZOS, ffs.

They literally just took a random Redguard model and put that generic crown store costume over her. Didn't even bother modelling her hair. I know why player characters don't have hair under hoods (every character is different, so there will be clipping). But this is a one-off NPC. You have no excuse.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't played through the story in Summerset yet, but that is awful. Just plain lazy ZOS, ffs.

They literally just took a random Redguard model and put that generic crown store costume over her. Didn't even bother modelling her hair. I know why player characters don't have hair under hoods (every character is different, so there will be clipping). But this is a one-off NPC. You have no excuse.

The prophet has hair under hood
    Edited by Aliyavana on 28 May 2018 23:14
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »

The prophet has hair under hood

which pretty much proves they could have done a good job on nocturnal if they wanted to
  • DamenAJ
    DamenAJ
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not going to lie... She does look insanely bland. A pose might help, better draped clothes might help, crows/special effects might help...

But, she's just standing there...

Looking super boring...

I mean, so far I love summerset, I thought I wouldn't, but I do. But yeah, she's boring. Graphically, anyway.
  • Zinaroth
    Zinaroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completely agree - I was baffled by this as well.
    The representation of Nocturnal during the final stages of the main quest was completely anti climactic.
    I also think her voice acting is very poor - or at least the way they chose to alter the voice acting.
    When she yells after a geyser event I always cringe a bit.
    Very disappointed with the representation of Nocturnal compared to all other daedric princes in the game so far.
    Luckily I think they managed to nail the other ones perfectly - but Nocturnal was a complete miss.
  • SixVoltCar
    SixVoltCar
    ✭✭✭
    I'm inclined to agree.
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could have been a little better, but in the end did work for her giant background image during the one thing.

Maybe they will improve her look when we head to HammerFall for the next expasion, thinking the adorable toads and her will show up in one of the royalist areas of hammerfall Hope that is where we are heading next

Just my random thoughts on the matter
  • Master_Fluff
    Master_Fluff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finished the storyline today. Barbas, Vile and Mephala didn't disappoint. But Nocturnal. What a letdown. In both appearance and behaviour. Come on, ZOS. You know you can do better than that. :(
    Edited by Master_Fluff on 29 May 2018 08:26
    Halcyon Black
  • Túrin_Vidsmidr
    Túrin_Vidsmidr
    ✭✭✭
    The ESO version is actually better.
    WOLOLOLOL
    The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ESO version is actually better.
    WOLOLOLOL

Did you drink some bad skooma?
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mureel I borrowed your image I hope you don't mind.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That ending was *** tbh.

Could have gone for the CWC true form of shadow instead of an avatar, and it'd work better.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well not had a chance to play through this yet (console pleb) but tbh don't really see the big deal.

Elder Scrolls have never been that brilliant at actually portraying Daedra - I mean, when I got to the end of the MQ to face off Molag Bal, was kinda underwhelming. Oooh horns. Oooh tail. Oooh look a bit like the devil. Ooooh.
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    Well not had a chance to play through this yet (console pleb) but tbh don't really see the big deal.

Elder Scrolls have never been that brilliant at actually portraying Daedra - I mean, when I got to the end of the MQ to face off Molag Bal, was kinda underwhelming. Oooh horns. Oooh tail. Oooh look a bit like the devil. Ooooh.

Well, if you compare Nocturnal, the Ur-dra, to Mephala or Clavicus Vile, you'd see that of the latter two, one had an alright design with golden skin, horns, and the rich imperial tunic (which I felt fit him really well), and the other had an absolutely amazing model that looks like an amped up version of the statue of herself in Oblivion. And then we come to Nocturnal who looks like some redguard sorceror that drunkenly put on the nocturnal robes.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
This discussion has been closed.