Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Radiant ********* Destruction... Seriously

• Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar has needed a burst option for a long time, however I'm still acclimating to the relative damage output for Damage Spiking instead of Burst and reset. Burst is one thing, DPS is another, but going from 3-4k DPS to a damage spike in the 15-20k range presents a far more complex set up to counter. Almost seems like temporary damage limiting abilities would be a good route (ex: Choking Talons).

It's too early to jump to conclusions. I have a battery of things to test against it:

• Does using Break-Free end the channel?
    • Can it be reflected?
    • What's the effect of Damage debuffing it?
    • Can Harness Magicka be spam soak the damage?
    • Does breaking LoS end the channel?

Suffice it to say I stick to interruption for channel/long cast time attack countering. Things however seem to need a more well rounded assortment of counters than only the fast twitch interrupt. Reminds me of way back when folks were raging about Soul Assault. This skill has the same arguments for and against nerfing, and still very few attempting to find tools that already exist in the game that can deal with it. First test the counters, if they are found lacking in general, buff the counters, if they are found lacking in regards to Radiant Destruction specifically, nerf Radiant Destruction. Playing wack-a-mole with the nerf hammer is how the game balance got so out of hand before.
  • Phaedrus
    Phaedrus
    ✭✭✭
    Obscure wrote: »
    Templar has needed a burst option for a long time, however I'm still acclimating to the relative damage output for Damage Spiking instead of Burst and reset. Burst is one thing, DPS is another, but going from 3-4k DPS to a damage spike in the 15-20k range presents a far more complex set up to counter. Almost seems like temporary damage limiting abilities would be a good route (ex: Choking Talons).

It's too early to jump to conclusions. I have a battery of things to test against it:

• Can it be reflected?

Suffice it to say I stick to interruption for channel/long cast time attack countering. Things however seem to need a more well rounded assortment of counters than only the fast twitch interrupt. Reminds me of way back when folks were raging about Soul Assault. This skill has the same arguments for and against nerfing, and still very few attempting to find tools that already exist in the game that can deal with it. First test the counters, if they are found lacking in general, buff the counters, if they are found lacking in regards to Radiant Destruction specifically, nerf Radiant Destruction. Playing wack-a-mole with the nerf hammer is how the game balance got so out of hand before.

I have tested and can answer your questions.

• Does using Break-Free end the channel? -- No, not a CC or stun attack so Break-Free is not applicable.
    • Can it be reflected? -- No, not considered a projectile so no to dragon scale and no to defensive stance.
    • What's the effect of Damage debuffing it? -- Same as any other spell, choking talons affects damage by -15%
    • Can Harness Magicka be spam soak the damage? -- Yes, and igneous shields, barrier, etc.
    • Does breaking LoS end the channel? -- No, goes through trees, rocks other terrain features. Some have reported walls but I haven't seen that first hand. You can get out of range and break the beam in the same way as Soul Assault.

One question you may add.
    • Can it be purged/cleansed/purified? -- No
    Phaedrus Wolf
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phaedrus wrote: »

• Can it be reflected?

• Does using Break-Free end the channel? -- No, not a CC or stun attack so Break-Free is not applicable.
    • Can it be reflected? -- No, not considered a projectile so no to dragon scale and no to defensive stance.
    • What's the effect of Damage debuffing it? -- Same as any other spell, choking talons affects damage by -15%
    • Can Harness Magicka be spam soak the damage? -- Yes, and igneous shields, barrier, etc.
    • Does breaking LoS end the channel? -- No, goes through trees, rocks other terrain features. Some have reported walls but I haven't seen that first hand. You can get out of range and break the beam in the same way as Soul Assault.

What about eclipse? Eclipse just does single target spells rather than projectiles.
  • firewatch
    firewatch
    ✭✭✭

• Can it be reflected?

I was told that it can be purged, but have not been able to test it myself. I have seen the visual effect go through keep walls numerous times. I cannot say if the dot continued since it did not happen to me, but i suspect it did.
  • AbraXuSeXile
    AbraXuSeXile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    w8qB9A9.jpg

These screen shots are worthless without seeing armor and spell resist values these days. Not just to see if that has anything to do with it, but I just want to see how it stacks up vs each different type as well.

Most magicka users are still going full light or maybe 2 pieces heavy tops? Maybe thats not the best route to go any more.
    So... let me understand this, you dont care if someone is able to submit proof that iits hitting 20ks? Why should anyone care about what you type then?
    If i walk into a pvp fight buttnaked i get shot to smithereens.
    If i walk in with capped Magicka resistance they might not even tickle me.

Ill leave 2 pictures here:
    w8qB9A9.jpg
    Screenshot_20150305_021500.png

One of these guys is made for PvP in 1.6, one is not.
    If i were to jump into PVP, i would be destroyed. Is that because every class is OP, and my Templar is not? Nope, its because i'm not build for PvP. Were i to change my equipment then i might stand a chance. If i don't change my equipment, just go in there, get my face smashed in, take a picture of the damage charts, and come here to ask about nerfs for every other class... would that be a valid reason to nerf classes? No, because i wasn't made for what i was trying to do, and everyone else was.

The last pic was my jesus bomb squad last night!
    AbraXuS
    Grand Overlord Rank 50 [First EU]
    Clan Leader of eXile
    Gaming Community - Est. 1999
    Crashing an EP Wedding | DK Emp | 1vX | Between Enemy Lines | Hate Video | 5 v Many

• Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Phaedrus

Then it would appear it's the counters that are lacking. @ZOS should include a Purge option and a Break Free option, providing viable counters for both Magicka and Stamina cost. Combined with well timed interrupts being the "skill check" option for advanced players, I'd say the skill need not be touched. Balanced Counter Play > Nerfing.
  • Phaedrus
    Phaedrus
    ✭✭✭
    @Phaedrus

Then it would appear it's the counters that are lacking. @ZOS should include a Purge option and a Break Free option, providing viable counters for both Magicka and Stamina cost. Combined with well timed interrupts being the "skill check" option for advanced players, I'd say the skill need not be touched. Balanced Counter Play > Nerfing.

Ya I would agree with you with one exception. It's bugged in it's current form.

Hi folks,

As promised, we have an update on Radiant Destruction. We've confirmed that there is not a damage-stacking bug with the ability, but there is a bug that is allowing Radiant Destruction to deal full execute damage on a target much earlier than is intended. We're testing a fix now, and hope to have it in the next incremental patch.

So, fix the bug first and then provide the counters you mention above.
    Phaedrus Wolf
  • Fizzlewizzle
    Fizzlewizzle
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Phaedrus

I have been saying the same in a topic i made myself.
    Mending-The-Wounded, Aldmeri Dominion, Templar.
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Phaedrus

Interesting. Well aside from bug fixing they should leave it alone =P

It's astonishing that anyone can distinguish their bugs from their features, but I should be glad at least someone can.
  • Phaedrus
    Phaedrus
    ✭✭✭
    @Phaedrus

It's astonishing that anyone can distinguish their bugs from their features, but I should be glad at least someone can.

Ya for sure. The only other change I might suggest is reduce the range to gap closer range (I think someone mentioned this somewhere already.) The only non-class interrupts (that I know of) with the same range as R.D. are venom arrow and crushing shock. Although that's nice because it covers both stam and magicka options it doesn't provide a "mid-range" interrupt to players. If I'm s/b and dual weilding or 2h and resto staffing or any number of other combinations I don't have an interrupt available at the same range as Radiant Destruction.

So I would reduce the range to 22m so shield charge, crit charge, DK chains and probably some other skills I'm not thinking of have a viable option of either immediate interrupt or gap close into a melee interrupt.
    Phaedrus Wolf
  • mortuusbae
    mortuusbae
    ✭✭✭
    It should be able to be dodged, purged, bashed, cloaked, evaded just like every other *** execute and more importantly not execute at 40%
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mortuusbae wrote: »
    It should be able to be dodged, purged, bashed, cloaked, evaded just like every other *** execute and more importantly not execute at 40%

Its not every other execute, its a different execute to make it different. The fact that it is channeled has pros and cons as compared to the instant executes in game already. You can't compare them and say hey it should have ALL THE WEAKNESSES of the instant executes as well as all the weaknesses of channels... that makes no sense.

By it being channeled it has the benefit of not being dodgeable (for example), but it does have the weakness of being interruptable. See the give and take here? Can't interrupt the other executes. Now I am sure you along with others will want to argue semantics over the pro's and cons, but regardless saying it should have all the weaknesses of the other executes along with others is childish, short-sited, and just plain stupid. If I have to write out all the pro's and cons for you because you can't see beyond your bias and think game balance here I'm going to kick a dog.
    Edited by Huntler on 5 March 2015 20:02
  • mortuusbae
    mortuusbae
    ✭✭✭
    Also if you didn't know radiant destruction also negates your armor spell resist, and anything that affect the amount of damage you take like magma armor, once you hit execute range you instantly die, and it's like that for every single person in cyrodiil.
  • Fizzlewizzle
    Fizzlewizzle
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also if you didn't know radiant destruction also negates your armor spell resist, and anything that affect the amount of damage you take like magma armor, once you hit execute range you instantly die, and it's like that for every single person in cyrodiil.
    You do know that Nirphoning is currently bugged, which makes all spells ignore all magic resistance?
    Mending-The-Wounded, Aldmeri Dominion, Templar.
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Phaedrus

Ya for sure. The only other change I might suggest is reduce the range to gap closer range (I think someone mentioned this somewhere already.) The only non-class interrupts (that I know of) with the same range as R.D. are venom arrow and crushing shock. Although that's nice because it covers both stam and magicka options it doesn't provide a "mid-range" interrupt to players. If I'm s/b and dual weilding or 2h and resto staffing or any number of other combinations I don't have an interrupt available at the same range as Radiant Destruction.

So I would reduce the range to 22m so shield charge, crit charge, DK chains and probably some other skills I'm not thinking of have a viable option of either immediate interrupt or gap close into a melee interrupt.

I think the range advantage creates good interplay, forcing the Purge or Break-Free while outside of interrupt range. Suffice it say I'd prefer they start with adding the Purge and Break Free option, and then reasses from there. Not that reducing range would be off the table, but I'd rather they baby step to balance.
  • Itoq
    Itoq
    ✭✭✭✭

Or at that in between range you could instead block, dodge roll or sprint away from the caster, cast a heal or cast a shield.

DK's are having an especially hard time with this since they are used to being able to stay in that in between range with near impunity.

• yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All these threads are the same thing.

Templars defending the skill like it was their first born. Some to the extent of threatening animal cruelty.

A lot of DK's butthurt they are getting roflstomped by broken ability, even though they have been roflstomping people with broken abilities for the better part of a year.

Then there are the even keeled, level headed people being completely ignored over the hype.

Templars, you know this skill is broken right now.

DK's deal with it. :trollface:

Level headed people <3

Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • jopeymonster
    jopeymonster
    ✭✭✭
    You should not be able to purge or break free. There is no CC mechanic (soft or hard).

-RD should not go through walls. If you can Snipe/LA it, then you can RD it. So trees/rocks/terrain should not force it to stop unless the target is not in LOS. If it is going through walls, this is a bug and does not require a nerf to anything else about the skill. Fix it first before you nerf it. This was the bug that was supposed to be fixed in 1.6.1.

-Reports are that the execute damage is being initiated too early. This is a bug, not an OP feature. Calling for a nerf because of this is asinine. Once again, this bug was found during PTS testing, but somehow made its way into Live.

-RD will do high level of execute damage when compared to other execute skills. All other executes are instant cast without any other requirement other then being in range for the cast. RD you have to be in range for the cast and the channel. If you let someone get RD off on you without actively countering it within 2 ticks, you deserve to get hit with the 300%+40% for being a l2pNub. Same for any T5 DPS ability in any other class.

So, what you're seeing here are mostly bugs that should not be in Live, that are in Live, and now everyone is clambering for the nerf bat instead blaming ZOS for lack of quality control. If you don't like that right now there are Templar players abusing the bugs, well, DEAL WITH IT. Isn't the first time this has happened (Bats, Ult Gen, Streak, Snipe, Standard, Talons, etc)

Stop throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    #nerfkeyboards
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is also false misinformation, you keep posting very bad info/ideas my friend. Radiant is affected by spell resists (not armor its a spell). However, currently there is a bug with nirn that makes all abilities bypass spell resists, its not radiant, its a nirn bug.

Get your information straight, its people like you that make fixing bugs a nightmare.
  • Phaedrus
    Phaedrus
    ✭✭✭
    @Phaedrus

I think the range advantage creates good interplay, forcing the Purge or Break-Free while outside of interrupt range. Suffice it say I'd prefer they start with adding the Purge and Break Free option, and then reasses from there. Not that reducing range would be off the table, but I'd rather they baby step to balance.

Ya I might go with one or the other. I like the reduced range but admittedly that's because of my play style. When I see this skill or skills like it I would rather gap close to the enemy and make them pay for trying to range me down. However if I was more ranged play style I would definitely prefer the purge option.
    Phaedrus Wolf
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Phaedrus

Ya I might go with one or the other. I like the reduced range but admittedly that's because of my play style. When I see this skill or skills like it I would rather gap close to the enemy and make them pay for trying to range me down. However if I was more ranged play style I would definitely prefer the purge option.

Think the purge option is the better option for game balance. You need to give the ability long range because of the massive vulnerability it makes the caster using it. Too short of range and basically anyone using that beam is a big HEY KILL ME NOW I AM AN EASY CC/BLOW UP TARGET. Given that for the execute to compare to the instant executes you need to channel it, it puts you in a very risky, but possibly beneficial position (high damage for high risk) you remove the range it just isn't going to be very viable. Purge is an easy option everyone has access to and regardless of range would be a counter.
    Edited by Huntler on 5 March 2015 21:43
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way out of RD ruining your day right now is an interrupt, and the downside to that is the RD is being spammed by damn near every Templar with that skill, so as soon as you interrupt one RD you get tagged with another. To put it another way, I don't know of one Templar not using RD at the moment. 1v1 it's no biggie, when it's 20v20 then RD is a tough, near on impossible skill to counter.

The only way I've been able to get away from RD is using venom, popping cloak, keep in cloak and bugging out.

I haven't tried, but does popping mist form stop RD? I never tried to be honest, but am curious. :blush:
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• olemanwinter
    olemanwinter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »
    15,000 damage with a full radiant destruction comes up to about 5k dps since it takes 3 seconds for it to cast if you have enduring rays. 5k dps is not out of the norm in 1.6. In fact, it is pretty low for an execute.

Perhaps, but I don't anyone that just stand's there and takes 5k DPS to the face for 3 seconds. They dodge, they block, they interrupt, etc.

Which can't be done with this unbalanced skill.

Compare this to my NB finisher. With max Weapon Damage(2729) gear Killer's Blade does 2879 damage. X300% against low targets. For a total of 8637 damage (if unmitigated)

SO LETS COMPARE:

MINE: Not ranged. 5 Meter Range. 15m if you use the other morph - wich would aswell negate your last point entirely
    RADIENT DEST: Long Range.

MINE: 8637 damage. = 28-40k dmg within 3 sec
    RADIENT DEST: Reports of 20k - 30k damage can be rupted

MINE: Only procs on low health targets
    RADIENT DEST: Procs on all targets WRONG!

Oh, and to achieve that damage I had to go stamina and lost most of my ability to escape and evade. But hey, at least I have lots of self-heals. ....Oh wait. nvm. oh and to achieve this he has to give up all escape tools as templars got none, making him extreamly vulnurable thx to the channel time, opened for everybody to rupt him with either bash or one of the range rupts dealing alot of additional dmg towards him
    [Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Rude and Insulting comments]

Cute. Except wrong.

If you go with the ranged morph it doesn't do as much damage. Magica melee NB build was severely nerfed. If you are a melee NB you must be Stamina.

Where ON EARTH do you come up with 40k damage in 3 seconds from Killer's Blade, much less the weaker Impale version you are suggesting?

And Finally Radient destruction procs for the big damage if the target EVER falls to low health during the entire 3 seconds of the attack, which is pretty much guaranteed unless you are dealing with someone with max health and shield stacking.

These conversations become more ridiculous all the time. Everyone protecting their OP build and unwilling to think objectively.

This skill needs to be reduced by 1/3 damage and be mitigated at least somewhat by blocking.
    It's not even AoE. It's directional. It's completely irrational and illogical that you can't block a directional targeted attack!
  • olemanwinter
    olemanwinter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like most of the crying here is DKs that are used to spamming one skill that trumps all ranged attacks.

This is definitely a L2P issue.

Is that a joke? "spamming one skill" is all that templars are doing now. It's the most simplistic playstyle I've EVER seen.

Press 1
    KILL
    Rotate

Press 1
    KILL
    Rotate

Press 1
    KILL
    Rotate

Press 1.....

It shouldn't be called the jesus beam. It should be called the "Jesus Beam Sprinkler" cause watching a Templar play in PvP now is like watching a sprinkler water a lawn.

What a joke.

(and FWIW, I don't play a DK and most of the people I play with in the game that think this skill is stupid unbalanced aren't DKs either).

Now, to be fair to you templars, I see no problem with this skill for PvE. This game in bad need of dividing balancing efforts into PvP and PvE. No way every skill should behave the same in both instances.

The skill is easily 2x too powerful in a PvP environment.
    Edited by olemanwinter on 6 March 2015 02:16
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The skill is currently broke, the 330% extra damage is happening when it shouldn't be, other than that, the ability is fine, so sometimes you get melted by it, and sometimes you don't, as for the people saying it happens over 3 seconds. Sure, it happens over 3 seconds, and if you're not close enough to bash it, there's absolutely no way to negate it, combined with the regular damage you're taking from everyone else, and it becomes Jesus Beam.

They need to fix the bug, and allow us to Purge it off at range, then spam it to your heart's content, but currently, due to the bug, the ability is broke-eh-did.
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • TiberiusTryton
    TiberiusTryton
    ✭✭✭
    HOTFIX PLZ????
    HOTFIX PLZ????
    HOTFIX PLZ????
    HOTFIX PLZ????
    HOTFIX PLZ????
    HOTFIX PLZ????
    HOTFIX PLZ????
    HOTFIX PLZ????

• WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After getting Jesus Beam'd left and right, I did have a few "WTF" moments while running around on Thornblade today.

Started leveling my baby Templar after throwing in the towel.

Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Panda244 wrote: »
    Sure, it happens over 3 seconds, and if you're not close enough to bash it, there's absolutely no way to negate it, combined with the regular damage you're taking from everyone else, and it becomes Jesus Beam.

If you're taking damage from multiple sources, you should die, Jesus Beam or not.
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Panda244 wrote: »
    Sure, it happens over 3 seconds, and if you're not close enough to bash it, there's absolutely no way to negate it, combined with the regular damage you're taking from everyone else, and it becomes Jesus Beam.

If you're taking damage from multiple sources, you should die, Jesus Beam or not.
    If you're taking damage from multiple sources, unless you're a NB, you should be able to simply shield-stack and heal through it, then focus an enemy down.
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • Francescolg
    Francescolg
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fact is HP where severely cutted in this patch and people seem to forget that, not very long time ago, snipe could hit you for 1500 up to 2500 dmg from stealth AND it had been that way a veeery long time. And snipe comes with the widest range and a heal debuff.

In current numbers Snipe would have done 15.000 up to 25.000 damage in 1,5 seconds, combine that with animation cancelling, posion injection, next snipe, that was more than the Jesus Beam does in 3-4 seconds. Now they have nurfed Snipe a little bit back to "normal values". Nonetheless Snipe hits like a truck!

The cut of HP makes people think they are stampeded by one Templar skill but this IS WHAT HAPPENS when the Dev raise damage (cap removal) and remove/nurf HP to the ground AT THE SAME TIME. As the "too strong snipe with heal debuff", these are errors that shouldn't be done by an expert (!) mmorpg-game developer team. Some OP skills could have been identified WAY earlier (DK).

Templars are spamming that skill cause it's new. The skill itself will soon be slightly nurfed. If you take that skill away from templars you can start searching for healers in PvP cause magicka builds make less sense, when everybody is attacking you with Snipes..