The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Weird mini lags midfight - caused by animation canceling?

Fasold666
Fasold666
✭✭✭
Hello folks,

anybody else get "mini lags" midfight sometimes? I don't talk about latency issues because of a bad internet provider or the usual server lag but about specific small lags that occur in the heat of battle. It bothers me pretty much since the game launched.
I mostly get them when dueling specific people and it signifcantly often occurs against magsorcs or stam dks. Especially against people who are able to animation cancel really good and also significantly often against single people I have a hard time against in a duel. When it occurs I can - for example - not reliably use light attacks anymore (and can totally forget about trying to use heavy attacks). As a magsorc most of my skills have a delay also, for example the damage shields. I lose a lot of dps and it gets me mad everytime it occurs.

The most weird thing is: Whenever the fight ends, the mini lags are over. When I duel the same person again - who pretty much made me lag out: I get the same lags again. But if i just duel somebody else or just kill some mobs I have no lags anymore.

I have done the following steps trying to reduce it (without success):
- disabling addons
- set graphics low
- trying it on a different internet provider
- trying it on different computers

I would say I get it against around 1 out of 25 people I fight against. So its not that often. What I was asking myself now is the following:
1. Might it be caused by people who animation cancel a lot?
2. Might these people actually even use macros? That would explain why it occurs pretty seldom and only when I duel/fight people that I struggle with in the fight and that animation cancel almost perfectly. One of the guys I duelled against that gave me these kind of mini lags already got banned. Thats why I came to that idea.
3. Might it be the combination of me animation canceling a ***-ton and my opponent doing so also? Especially as s mag sorcs vs a mag sorc.
4. Might it be specific skills or skill combination that lead to the lags?

Or what is it? Anybody has an idea?

Greetings
Edited by Fasold666 on 7 September 2016 00:17
  • Fasold666
    Fasold666
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody has an idea or similar experiences?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting lag in a fight probably has more to do with your rig. I do t see mention of a platform so I will asume PC.

With PC it depends on where your bottleneck is. ESO is GPU intensive but the bottleneck could also include memory and other aspects of the PC design. Also, general latency to the server could still play a role. A pi for less than 100 is great but anything less than 300 should be fine. Scaling up from there can bring about some issues.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The above is if these pages are very consistent. If it happens randomly then the server may have lag.
  • InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, i had some strange situations as well against certain opponents. might be described as mini lags or a less responsible game.

it did depend on the opponent and i doubt it was related to other performance issues, like fps drops or server side lag (fps are 30+ in cyro when huge battles take place, ping is usually good as long as the server performs well)(but of course, i might have been unlucky against the same opponents of the same time... some statistics would be great:P)

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying animation canceling is the cause. but it might be related, at least to a certain degree.
    We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    You know you don't have to be here right? - Rich Lambert
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
    RdK Group Tool: esoui DE EN FR
    Port to Friend's House: esoui DE EN FR - Library: DE EN
    Yet another Compass: esoui DE EN FR
    Group Buffs: esoui DE EN FR
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been times in game where I cannot target a player thus not being able to cast. The player can be well within range of my skills and them even showing castable yet nothing fires off. I've often wondered about what could possibly cause this and usually chalk it up to them using CE or something but have no real proof so they've never been reported. It sure makes you think something is funky tho when you have things happen over and over with certain people.....

Probly the invisible negate or something that's unseen. There's so many problems with this game and coding that it's just really hard to know what the root cause is.
    Edited by Robbmrp on 15 September 2016 17:26
    NA Server - Kildair
  • clayandaudrey_ESO
    clayandaudrey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fasold666 wrote: »
    Hello folks,

anybody else get "mini lags" midfight sometimes? I don't talk about latency issues because of a bad internet provider or the usual server lag but about specific small lags that occur in the heat of battle. It bothers me pretty much since the game launched.
    I mostly get them when dueling specific people and it signifcantly often occurs against magsorcs or stam dks. Especially against people who are able to animation cancel really good and also significantly often against single people I have a hard time against in a duel. When it occurs I can - for example - not reliably use light attacks anymore (and can totally forget about trying to use heavy attacks). As a magsorc most of my skills have a delay also, for example the damage shields. I lose a lot of dps and it gets me mad everytime it occurs.

The most weird thing is: Whenever the fight ends, the mini lags are over. When I duel the same person again - who pretty much made me lag out: I get the same lags again. But if i just duel somebody else or just kill some mobs I have no lags anymore.

- disabling addons
    - set graphics low

I would say I get it against around 1 out of 25 people I fight against. So its not that often. What I was asking myself now is the following:
    2. Might these people actually even use macros? That would explain why it occurs pretty seldom and only when I duel/fight people that I struggle with in the fight and that animation cancel almost perfectly. One of the guys I duelled against that gave me these kind of mini lags already got banned. Thats why I came to that idea.
    3. Might it be the combination of me animation canceling a ***-ton and my opponent doing so also? Especially as s mag sorcs vs a mag sorc.

Greetings

Could it be from so many computations due to Champion Points.

Robbmrp wrote: »
    There have been times in game where I cannot target a player thus not being able to cast. The player can be well within range of my skills and them even showing castable yet nothing fires off. I've often wondered about what could possibly cause this and usually chalk it up to them using CE or something but have no real proof so they've never been reported. It sure makes you think something is funky tho when you have things happen over and over with certain people.....

Probly the invisible negate or something that's unseen. There's so many problems with this game and coding that it's just really hard to know what the root cause is.

I have seen a lot of what CE can do and making oneself not target able is not one of them.
    Edited by clayandaudrey_ESO on 15 September 2016 17:55
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the last Maintenance on Monday (not the downtime from yesterday) my game has been...'off'. Something isn't the same.

No change in Addons (run a rather minimal setup, tested with no Addons as well).

2700K @ 5.5GHz

970 SC

8GB RAM

840 Pro SSD

PC / NA

I rebuild the machine every 6 months to keep it 'fresh' so this isn't a case of "OS Rot". Most recent rebuild was timed with the release of Windows 10 1607.

It's not a massive difference but it is 100% there.
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting lag in a fight probably has more to do with your rig. I do t see mention of a platform so I will asume PC.

With PC it depends on where your bottleneck is. ESO is GPU intensive but the bottleneck could also include memory and other aspects of the PC design. Also, general latency to the server could still play a role. A pi for less than 100 is great but anything less than 300 should be fine. Scaling up from there can bring about some issues.

Funny you mention ESO being GPU intensive yet a gaming site built a PC with components meant to mimic the PS4 Pro and of all the games they tested at 4k they specifically mention that ESO is the least GPU intensive game and as such should be able to easily run in native 4k on the Pro without any issues.

Edited by itscompton on 15 September 2016 18:56
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fasold666 wrote: »
    Hello folks,

- disabling addons
    - set graphics low

Greetings

Could it be from so many computations due to Champion Points.

Robbmrp wrote: »

I have seen a lot of what CE can do and making oneself not target able is not one of them.

@clayandaudrey_ESO Thanks for the information. That's really good to know.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Magus
    Magus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran across a bot in a grind spot before. It was a magicka templar, it was pretty sophisticated. I tried to pull mobs onto the bot to have it get overran and killed like you could to bots at launch but it healed itself. So, then I would mess with it and screw up it's grind run so it didn't get any XP and it just kept on doing the same path - doing the same loops. Wish I had recorded it.

That said, if you attacked the mobs at the same time as the bot and killed the mobs too fast, it would cause my client to lag out for a second or two and there would be no visuals from the puncturing sweep animation from the bot. I've seen this type of mini-lag from PVP opponents before, only a select few, so I would not put it out of the realm of possibilities that they are using a macro or some form of automation like the bot I ran across did. This is not something widespread that I've seen though.

Edit: No I don't believe animation cancelling on its own will cause lag aside from the heavy attack combo that locks out your bar.
    Edited by Magus on 15 September 2016 19:29
    Duraeon / Maoh
    Former Emperor of Haderus, Trueflame, and Azura's Star
    PC/NA
  • Soundwave
    Soundwave
    ✭✭✭
    It happens to me alot, especially in melee range and my rig is Xbox one. I run 60-70mbps, but again i blame the game and the opponents connection.
  • Mic1007
    Mic1007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been having problems with combat animations since Thieves Guild. I don't even get fazed when it happens anymore.
    @Mic1007
    Champion Rank 900+
    DC/AD/EP
    PC NA

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion ESO has been CPU & memory intensive for the last year or so. I can't pinpoint the date exactly (maybe around the infamous lighting patch lol ).

My rig has 8gb of ram. When everything is closed the system sits between 1.9 - 2.2gb used
    When I first start eso it sits at around 4-4.5gb's used but the more places in tamriel I travel too the more things stay in memory. Ultimately I will be in the 6-7gb's of usage after a while of playing & anything over 6.5 the game just naturally seems to slow down or glitch or lag. If my total ram utilization reaches much over 7gb's then it's likely my computer will bluescreen.
    I've run ram test before & never had any issues. This is a 10 year old system but of course it was top of the line in it's day & I do have a new gtx 1080 superclocked graphics card.

The big problem I run in to is that sometimes player opponents are so good at animation canceling that I do not see or hear the attacks. A combo is performed with the outcome of hitting so hard that if you are not blocking or have a shield up then you are just going to die & there is nothing you can do about it.
    In these situations I will have likely have already restarted eso to be utilizing the least amount of ram & I typically try to block & keep shields up for their initial burst of attacks. If I can figure out a way to survive the burst then I can look to running them out of resources or finding an opening; but the key here is to not have been run out of resources yourself while being defensive!
    Edited by kaithuzar on 16 September 2016 02:26
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean like getting stuck in a heavy attack animation for 2-3secs? I think it's packet loss personally, but I can't prove it or even argue it, so I'll just leave it there.
    PC | EU
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you can skill +light attack + bash in rapid succession with proper timing it puts almost a mini negate on you. It will prevent you from swapping weapons and in some cases even lock your skill bar

This all started with the 1.6 PTS where folks like myself and Ezareth protested heavily against this cooldown they put on weapon swap this is what led to this unresponsive was you get sometimes due to this. It's simply a long standing bug I doubt they ever fix, if they were going to fix it they would have by now
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak