The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Favorite "Oops" moment?

tinythinker
tinythinker
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Whether because of accidents, player error, or just plain bad luck, everyone is going to encounter some unexpected challenges now and again, whether going solo or playing with a group. I was reminded of this recently with a reference to an infamous incident in another MMO that went viral.

So what clumsy, foolish, or naive things have you done in ESO?

It's only fair I volunteer something first. I was in a VR version of a public dungeon and joined a small pug to work through some mobs when we took on a gargoyle. My character was knocked off a ledge during the fight and landed next to two more gargoyles, who I expected to attack and kill my character immediately. Instead they ran after the other two players in my group who needless to say weren't expecting our opponent to get reinforcements. We did manage to beat all three mobs but it wasn't how things were supposed to happen.
Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
(And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • lecarcajou_ESO
    lecarcajou_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

You mean aside from dropping $20 on the Imperial edition?
    "Morally Decentralized."
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean aside from dropping $20 on the Imperial edition?

Ouch. I looked at imperial but it seemed to me like paying $20 to get a horse on day one.

But yeah, I was thinking "in game".
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • lecarcajou_ESO
    lecarcajou_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, to be honest, I'm half kidding... it is $20 bucks for a horse, but I'm sure enjoying that horse.
    "Morally Decentralized."
  • trahe
    trahe
    ✭✭
    I have a few:
    • Not realizing that giving my horse an apple made it faster
    • Selling stuff to a vendor instead of thinking of a mule character
    • Deleted hundreds of weapons and armor pieces that I thought were useless without realizing I needed to learn the traits off them
    • Stood at the edge of a keeps battlement to get a better view of the attackers. Turns out that Dragonknights can pull you off the ledge down to the ground...where you will die from all of her buddies attacking you
    • Kited some blood fiends and backed into an even larger group of blood fiends
    • Entered a dungeon solo without realizing that it was a group dungeon until halfway through it. Turns out a large group was moving ahead of me killing everything but the wanderers.
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was just starting using a bow in VR1 and went to a Dolmen were people were waiting for the cultists doing their ritual. I shot an arrow by mistake and canceled the event or something. :s
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forgetting magnumshot also knocks myself around, eager to make a cool kill, used magnumshot, knocked off a cliff ... and died ... guess it was a cool kill afterall.
  • lecarcajou_ESO
    lecarcajou_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Accidentally going with "Covenant" for my Dunmer DK and then realizing I had to make common cause with orcs (shudder). I rerolled.
    "Morally Decentralized."
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Making a wood elf and then learning of the "Green Pack"....... Wood elfs are nuts!
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP, those who have been to Cyrodiil will know.

During a keep defence there are little ledges along the walls to stand on .... DK's like to pull people off them.

Anywhoo....

I was stealthed and there was a sorc up against the wall so I was trying to edge forward and get a shot .... and double tapped .... and rolled off the wall .... and got jumped on by 20 AD.

Damn double tap roll.
  • Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deciding to swim around the rocks instead of climbing them only to get "Slaughtered". At least I got an achievement out of it but I really didn't need the long walk back from the wayshrine.
    Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
    Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
    Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
    Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
    Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
    Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
    Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
    Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
  • misterme2011
    misterme2011
    ✭✭
    I'm used to doing the anchor scenarios with about 20 other PCs and arriving late. So once I actually showed up a bit early, though about 5 PCs were standing about waiting for the action to start. I sauntered on over to join them, and then realized these were the bad guy wizards initiating the anchor ceremony. I was unceremoniously slaughtered and deposited at the nearest wayshrine. Oops. But made it back in time to help disrupt the anchor with 19 of my closest friends, who had finally arrived after my untimely death. :-)
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    faught through countless enemys as a healer...took 45 mins only to double tap W and roll off the cliff at the npc i was suppose to speak to....that is my top oh..S*** moment
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • lePoissonRouge
    lePoissonRouge
    ✭✭✭
    I decided I wanted to redo my skill points so I went to the shrines in Mournhold to do so, but for some reason I got confused between skills and attributes, so I decided to refund my attributes, only to put them back exactly as they were before >_> I also bought an armor set from a guy for 1k and ended up not doing anything with it, and just letting it sit in my bank until I finally decided to deconstruct/research all of them.
    And this one isn't really an "oops" moment, more like a "that's karma for ya, ***" moment. On launch day, I was looking everywhere for enchanting runes, and when I found one I saw another guy running for it and was like, "Oh no you don't!" I sprinted and got to it at the same time he did, except I was mashing the E button and got it less than a second before he did. The loot box thing popped up, it was a special rune, and I was so happy! ...But right before I could collect it the game crashed. I quickly logged back on to see if it was still there, and sure enough, it was gone. Karma sucks T_T
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dropping my standard in the bank trying to reply to a whisper.

Wolfing out trying to reply to a whisper.

Popping overload trying to reply to a whisper.

Getting a target circle trying to reply to a whisper...

I just use yahoo messenger now. ><
  • lePoissonRouge
    lePoissonRouge
    ✭✭✭
    PvP, those who have been to Cyrodiil will know.

During a keep defence there are little ledges along the walls to stand on .... DK's like to pull people off them.

Anywhoo....

I was stealthed and there was a sorc up against the wall so I was trying to edge forward and get a shot .... and double tapped .... and rolled off the wall .... and got jumped on by 20 AD.

Damn double tap roll.

Dude I did something almost exactly like that but on the DC starter island. I was trying to jump over to a rock that was perched high on a cliff, but my foot-to-surface area wasn't exactly good, so I was really quickly tapping the WASD keys in an effort to move without pushing myself off. I eventually got to the rock, but as soon as I did, I did an extra little tap on one of the movement keys and sent my character flying off the cliff to her death in the water below ^^;
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    My first Dark Anchor - cultists spawned on top of me (pre-ritual) and insta gibbed me.
    Group Dungeon - started to buff my group, boss started massive AoE same time, instagibbed.
    World Boss - 7 levels above me with a player who was 10 levels above the boss, the player initiated and then timed out, instagibbed.
    Anchors/Group Dungeons/World Bosses - grouped up but missing one, tank initiates anyway then realizes the mistake and leads mob(s) back to rest of partial group.
    Crafting - accidentally used a Motif on a noncrafting character (dont ask).
    Gathering - horded Nirnroot assuming it was still rare as in other TES games (lol)
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild
  • Kadigan
    Kadigan
    ✭✭✭
    My very first ESO death was accidentally falling off a tower in the Aldmeri Dominion starting area (back in beta) before I had even finished the tutorial or reached the other people playing the game. Somehow I managed to fall out of the tutorial area and right into the player zone, where I then died in plain sight of everyone on the beach.

Oops.
    Daggerfall Covenant: Fork-Stealer, Argonian Dragonknight
    Aldmeri Dominion: Kadigan, Bosmer Nightblade
    Let's be civil, shall we?
  • Aballister
    Aballister
    ✭✭✭
    Using bolt esc when my camara is pointing the way I want to go, but my character isn't and bolting straight off a cliff to my doom, made by chuckle :smiley:
    Dark Elf Sorc(AD)
  • snigernissen
    snigernissen
    ✭✭
    trying to help people creatively on the forums!!! xD naj joke :D
    havent really had any Oops moments yet but they will come :)
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only some casual oops moments like accidentally aggroing group of mobs when I wasn't prepared and of course died. Think I dodged off cliff once by accident. And also like to jump down from high places to shortcut usually hitting ledge or too on the way so I don't die, well once I was trying to hit ledge but went too far missing it and splat.

Once we were casually exploring with 2 friends in Greenshade and just happen to walk middle of the world boss in the swamps (the crocodiles) and we thought they were just the normal ones, well that didn't end well.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Lalaeith
    Lalaeith
    ✭✭✭
    Just yesterday on my way to killing molag bal. I didn't really care for the mob groups, because I was quite exited about the end fight. So I just kept moving because I didn' t want to die from one of those one hit fireballs and only eventually shot something at the mobs, hoping they would lose aggro once I get to molag bal. Just that I was so keen on keeping moving and avoiding mobs, that I jumped off a cliff in full run and died because I didn't notice the last wall I had to break down and figured that must be the way :D so I had to start over.

I'm really relieved that I'm not the only one who constantly has these ooops moments :D
  • AreoHotah
    AreoHotah
    ✭✭✭✭
    You guys are so freaking funny i just had to give you all a LOL
    Hota'h, Dual-wield/bow full medium armor NB Khajiit from day 1.

https://imageshack.com/i/p2rF313Qj/b]
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think hitting your ultimate (R) instead of looting (E) is already a classic :p
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moving forward an empty public group dungeon, then stop to loot and all the enemies respawns around you.

Attacking two dot world bosses thinking they are normal mobs.

Coldharbor has lots of hostile clanfears and winged twilights who look just like the summoned and this can cause stupid moments.
    In Coldharbor you can also fall off the map.

PvP tend to have lots of oops.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leaving my husband alone with the keyboard for oh, about two minutes.

This was during that low-level (3? 5?) "quest" where you just follow the Prophet around and watch the story of the Companions. There's nothing to fight, no reason to die, right? Just before I handed in the quest at the end, I decided to go to the bathroom and do stuff just in case there was more than that.

My husband decides to try to see if he can make my character walk. He does that occasionally in WoW, when I'm in a city or something. He's not computer literate, has never had much reason to use computers in his working life - he has to learn somehow, and the hardest thing about learning computers any more is learning to use the mouse.

However, unlike in WoW, I play ESO in first person. He neglected to watch WHERE he was walking, and walked my character off a cliff.

When I came back into the room, I saw a glum man and heard "Sorry dear, I think I did something ..."

I wasn't upset until ........ I went back to see the prophet and the whole thing was bugged the hell out. He wouldn't let me hand in the quest OR port back to where we were. :open_mouth:

I put in a ticket, and we did other stuff instead. I think the GMs reset me, because the next time I went back, I was allowed to go through the whole thing again and complete it - without dying this time.

Otherwise, I've done most of the rest of this, wandered into anchors, had anchors drop on my head, mistook world bosses for schlumps, etc. :P

Edited by isengrimb16_ESO on May 13, 2014 11:01AM
  • Keffertjes
    Keffertjes
    ✭✭
    Oops i had to buy 30 days to get my *free* 30 days
  • KleanZlate
    KleanZlate
    ✭✭✭
    Sneaking behind an enemy with my bow equipped instead of my blades and pressing Snipe instead of Concealed Weapon for less than dramatic results ;)
  • Lalaeith
    Lalaeith
    ✭✭✭
    Sneaking behind an enemy with my bow equipped instead of my blades and pressing Snipe instead of Concealed Weapon for less than dramatic results ;)

I had to change the order of skills on my bars for that exact reason :D now at least the difference is not thaaat bad if I accidently have the wrong bar active. (Still expecting your char to perform Snipe undetected for 2.5 seconds and instead immediatley aggroing a group of mobs with some other skill can make things a bit more challenging sometimes^^)
    Edited by Lalaeith on May 13, 2014 12:10PM
  • Duckfather
    Duckfather
    ✭✭
    Gisgo wrote: »
    I think hitting your ultimate (R) instead of looting (E) is already a classic :p

Yup. Done this so many times I re-mapped it to '6' in a fit of pique ;)

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duckfather wrote: »
    Gisgo wrote: »

Yup. Done this so many times I re-mapped it to '6' in a fit of pique ;)
    Another oops, as in why has I not done that? I tend to press e to loot then r to take all. sometimes i miss and is not in container mode then pressing r

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.