Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Favorite "Oops" moment?

• Thralgaf
    Thralgaf
    ✭✭✭
    Level 30ish AD instance. Beginning. Hey gaiz, I think this boat is a portal to the dungunz! Derp.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just now, sent a bug report and figure out the issue 5 seconds later. Anyone else feel like that's an OOPS, given how many bug reports they must get? I really do try to make sure an issue is report worthy before firing off a note. And does anyone else close with something like "Thanks!" or "Have a nice day"?
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • cjmarsh725b14_ESO
    cjmarsh725b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rest of my group wiped in the Trials on the first boss. I'm a sorc and I'm bolt escaping around avoiding the big aoe and the insta-kill mechanic and soloing the boss all the way down to 3% health. Then I bolt escape off a cliff.
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    running a dungeon but accidentally had equipped a restor staff in my dps action bar, couldnt figure out why most of my skills were gray.. till i died. heh

went to look over a cliff for the view, then promptly fell off and died

in kiting glory, thinking i was da bomb till I aggrod a whole herd of mobs by backing into them

Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    Dodging backwards off a cliff from an attack. Result = Death :neutral_face:
    Asira Avalis - Mage
  • Lalaeith
    Lalaeith
    ✭✭✭
    Just yesterday I saw someone fighting a world boss alone. He hadn't gotten him down very far, so I thought I'd help, starting with a ranged snipe attack from farther away. Well the boss immediately switched to me, conjuring several skeletons where I was standing. I backed off, because I'm not good fighting several enemies and a boss...Aaand I was out of range, the boss' health reseted and he ran back...

I felt really bad for the other guy, but luckily it didn't take very long to kill him afterwards.

Later, I ran into the same boss battle again, because the person who triggers it looks pretty much like a bloodthorn necromancer, wich I can 'one-shot' from behind.

I really feel sorry for the people having to play with me sometimes :D I' m not that bad, just incredibly good at accidently doing stupid things...
    Edited by Lalaeith on June 1, 2014 2:38PM
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice stories, everyone.

But try this.

Played the last few weekends of Beta. Started in the first hour of early access. Have a VR6 and a VR12.

Just found out there are chests with loot after you complete a dolmen.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • KoroLahk
    KoroLahk
    Most of my 'Oops' moments involve me kiting mobs into other mobs, but I think to date my best one was on my first expedition to Cyrodiil.

I wasn't very high level, I'm not an experienced PVPer either, so I figured I'd go off and stealth around and do some quests and the scouting missions to get a feel for the place.

I was just about to reach my scouting target when I must've snuck right into the stealth area of an enemy faction player, who was also low level and sneaking about. We both immediately began sneak-backpeddling away from one another.. I just happened to reverse myself right into the enemies entire zerg and was squashed before I even noticed them.
    Edited by KoroLahk on June 21, 2014 10:51AM
  • Baythoren
    Baythoren
    Soul Shriven
    Running towards battle. Came in from wrong side. Got a warm welcome from enemy platoon running / galopping towards you..
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baythoren wrote: »
    Running towards battle. Came in from wrong side. Got a warm welcome from enemy platoon running / galopping towards you..

Yeah, I prefer it when invites to a siege actually give directions (near the mine, west wall, etc).

• Sallakat
    Sallakat
    ✭✭✭
    Nice stories, everyone.

But try this.

Played the last few weekends of Beta. Started in the first hour of early access. Have a VR6 and a VR12.

Just found out there are chests with loot after you complete a dolmen.

I don't think they have had it very long. I've played beta and early access too but I think they implemented that around the same time than Craglorn, or sometime similar. That being said, I still very often forget to get the chest and remember that when I'm already a half a zone away -.-

Rebuilt - Aldmeri Dominion

Kaia Linnea - templar
    Ruusu - sorcerer
    Aino - nightblade
  • ebondeath
    ebondeath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first character, playing for the first time in the prison tutorial area. Had just defeated the big bone guy with the Prophet and listened to his speech before our return to Tamriel. I got antsy when he told me to hurry and didn't see the prompt to hit X to port, so I ended up jumping into the pit and dying my first shameful death. :neutral_face:
    ╔═════════════⌈Alannah Corvaine⌋══════════════╗
    Rise, rise! To freedom, rise! Arise, ye Breton sons and daughters.
    Ride, ride! To freedom, ride! Truth and glory to the brave!
    ╚═════════════⌊VR 12 Breton NB⌉══════════════╝
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    I have an OOPS moment every other time I engage mobs in the vet area. God I suck.
    Ulyn Andrano

VR3 Dark Elf Dragonknight

Ebonheart Pact
  • wayfarerb14_ESO
    wayfarerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sneaking behind an enemy with my bow equipped instead of my blades and pressing Snipe instead of Concealed Weapon for less than dramatic results ;)

Lol, I've done this so many times that it's stupid. Glad I'm not alone. ;)
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my first anchor in ebonheart pact, I'm kicking daedra butt... oh yeah, I'm here & there & everywhere, helping my fellows & dispatching the evil!

& naturally I'm all impressed by my own awesome.... right up to the instant I dodge-rolled myself off a CLIFF!
    *falling scream followed by a loud splish as I hit the water*
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Cynnalia
    Cynnalia
    ✭✭✭
    Sneaking behind an enemy with my bow equipped instead of my blades and pressing Snipe instead of Concealed Weapon for less than dramatic results ;)

Lol, I've done this so many times that it's stupid. Glad I'm not alone. ;)

I have also done this so many times! >.<

My worst "oops" moment is more of a facepalm, but I was about level 30 before I realized on the map screen I can click on an area's name to see that zone's map and travel directly to any of its wayshrines I'd previously visited. Until then I had been backtracking on foot to the entry/exit of each zone to wayshrine-hop back to Harborage every time I need to do the next step in main quest. Discovering I could teleport directly to Daggerfall from Rivinspire was a huge relief! LOL
    NA PS4 Daggerfall Covenant Characters -- CP 755

Sulin Shadowdancer -- Redguard Nightblade -- Dragonstar Arena Champion, General Executioner, Tamriel Hero
    Ysorya Traven - Breton Sorcerer -- Monster Hunter, Master Angler, Explorer, Maelstrom Arena Champion, Tamriel Hero
    Eriah A'kiranya-- Redguard Dragon Knight, tank
    Sybilline Travadon -- Altmer Templar -- Maelstrom Arena Champion
    At-Sixes-and-Sevens -- Argonian Templar, healer
    Mercurial Malice -- Dunmer Nightblade
    Fern Gullie -- Bosmer Warden, level 45
    Ghareshi-ri - Khajiit, Necromancer, level 9
  • VampiricOmen
    VampiricOmen
    ✭✭✭
    ebondeath wrote: »
    My first character, playing for the first time in the prison tutorial area. Had just defeated the big bone guy with the Prophet and listened to his speech before our return to Tamriel. I got antsy when he told me to hurry and didn't see the prompt to hit X to port, so I ended up jumping into the pit and dying my first shameful death. :neutral_face:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has done that. "Hold on Prophet, I''ll be there in a mome-argggggh!" Splat. I was grouped with a friend too, so either I died against a pretty easy to kill boss (it was my third character), or died because I tripped up the stairs and over the ledge... good thing that part is solo.
  • willowfey79
    willowfey79
    Soul Shriven
    I'm new to MMO's, so I have a few.
    -had no idea how to group, chat or guild for like a month.
    -sold a crapload of armor and weapons before knowing I should be deconstructing them for crafting
    -went back to lower level areas to get the materials to craft because I didn't know about deconstructing.
    -rushed through coldharbour at first so I ended up with zero armor before realizing I should replay it and could get some armor so I didn't die several times with nearly every quest I tried.
    I'm sure there is more, but can't think of them at the moment.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my worst ooops moment:

i was following a DC member trying to wait for my stamina to build up and the perfect moment to try and assassinate him, but he went into a cave so i knew was the perfect time. so i entered the cave ....

when i got inside i waited untill he was long and deep into the cave so he would be very surprised and i might have an advantage cause he would have thought i wasnt there. well it did not work out quite as i had planned.

when i found out where in the cave he was headed i went into stealth and then tried to go ahead of him cause it was getting harder and harder to stay stealthed, but i somehow got messed up and started drawing the aggro of the mobbs so i kinda got freaked out and slowly began running faster and faster and gaining more and more mobbs chasing me untill it was overwhelming and had like 20 mobbs chasing me so i spazzed out and tried to run back to where he was so atleast i could BY CHANCE get some of those mobbs looking at HIM instead of me but just then i saw the reason he came to the cave in the first place was obviously cause his friends were there. there was about 20 DC members there he was going to meet and they were all farming xp points together ....

i then just freaked out and stood still and stood up from stealth because, at that point i knew i was a dead man! not only did all those mobbs eat me alive but so did his entire group he was with ...

:(
  • Cynnalia
    Cynnalia
    ✭✭✭
    My other "oops" moment was in PvP. I was at a town questing where I saw a fellow player getting wailed on by an NPC. He was just standing there, so I thought he just wasn't at his toon at the moment, so I swoop in to save the day. After killing the NPC, he whispers, "Thanks, but I was trying to get killed to port back to the wayshrine." Oops! Sorry...carry on, then!
    NA PS4 Daggerfall Covenant Characters -- CP 755

Sulin Shadowdancer -- Redguard Nightblade -- Dragonstar Arena Champion, General Executioner, Tamriel Hero
    Ysorya Traven - Breton Sorcerer -- Monster Hunter, Master Angler, Explorer, Maelstrom Arena Champion, Tamriel Hero
    Eriah A'kiranya-- Redguard Dragon Knight, tank
    Sybilline Travadon -- Altmer Templar -- Maelstrom Arena Champion
    At-Sixes-and-Sevens -- Argonian Templar, healer
    Mercurial Malice -- Dunmer Nightblade
    Fern Gullie -- Bosmer Warden, level 45
    Ghareshi-ri - Khajiit, Necromancer, level 9
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there is a "repeat" category, for me my most common oops would be forgetting a load-out change for my bar or having the wrong weapon equipped before charging into a crowd of mobs and getting beaten down very fast.

• Chatoyancy
    Chatoyancy
    ✭✭✭
    My biggest oops was when I was trying to do the quests at North Beacon in Auridon. It was a huge struggle for me at the time, and I was constantly dying trying to get around the mobs to be able to do the actual quests. Had no soul gems, didn't have the gold for soul gems, and didn't realize I could find places with enemies that I could loot for soul gems, so I would have to go back to the wayshrine and start over every time.

Finally, finally after many deaths and trying over the course of three days, I managed to fight my way through and reached the end of the last quest there at the North Beacon Lighthouse. I'm not 100% sure what happened... I think the people I needed to talk to were on the bottom floor of the lighthouse, but I either didn't notice them or my game didn't load them immediately. In any case, I knew there was supposed to be a skyshard there, so I ran straight through to the doors to the overlook, grabbed the skyshard, sort of jumped in excitement... and fell off the lighthouse. And died.

So yeah, I had to fight my way through the whole area again to turn in the quest I had finished.
    Edited by Chatoyancy on June 29, 2014 4:27AM
  • Hathei
    Hathei
    ✭✭
    While waiting for the rest of my group at a dolmen, I accidentally shot some lightning at the cultists while trying to summon a familiar. My poor mage didn't last long against them.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wanted my current PC to catch up to my original by doing Cyrodiil Hero, but I got stuck on the last quest needed, "Overdue Supplies", because you have to fight two trolls at once who won't kite very far and who always pull together. Basically gotta fight 'em in a small space in this crumbling tower. Current PC is a templar, so I tried Blazing Shield, Blinding Flashes, Luminous Shards, etc to try to get either damage mitigation or some kind of CC. Died. Died. Died. Died. Died a lot. Used soul gems to rez, build ultimate with nearby single trolls, and tried again. Tried and died. Over and over. Lots of strategies. No luck.

I decided if I could just kill one of them, I could rez and finish off the other. I ended up with a Templar special: pop Solar Prison and spam the crap out of Biting Jabs. Nearly worked, but I would have a finger slip and accidentally toggle off Inner Light and its crit bonus. Or I would tap Q to drink a potion to regain magicka to cast a heal and it wouldn't work (who knows why). Always some little thing. Tried and died.

Then, I got it. No accidents or mistakes. One troll down. Dodged the other's ground pound attack and swapped weapons to 2-handed sword to spam Executioner as it was under 25% health! Yes! And between the first troll going down and clicking for the swap... friendly PCs swarm in, apparently doing the same quest. The cavalry had arrived. After I had it under control. After so many failures. Hahahaha. OK, well, that's how it goes. Glad to know if I had failed again help was coming anyway. Also glad the other players got to finish the quest. So, now I just need to do my final veteran alliance to get Tamriel Hero.

• Whisper292
    Whisper292
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I had a bug. I would let up on W and my character would keep walking, usually into a wall. A couple of days ago, I was in Coldharbour, and she kept walking right off a ledge and into the abyss below, at which point the game helpfully informed me, "THE CHASM DISCOVERED." Really?? I hadn't noticed...

I decided to ask for help on these forums, and someone told me I was accidentally engaging Autorun. I didn't even know there was an Autorun, bit sure enough, I had it hotkeyed to MB4, and every time I relaxed my thumb on the mouse, I engaged Autorun.
    ---
    Love all, trust few, do wrong to no one. - William Shakespeare
  • someuser
    someuser
    ✭✭✭✭
    My two biggest "opps" moments:

1) spamming /zone for like 20 mins that "dolmen is up" not realizing they were all dolmen and it was the other name that was important.

2) after running a crap load of 4-man dungeons I'm about to quit, I'm dead tired, so I go to dump my loot into my bank and quickly log on to my alt to deconstruct. I get to my alt and nothing is in the bank. I log back to my other toon, and nothing. Write up a bug report only to realize RIGHT AFTERWARDS that I had accidently deposited everything into the guild bank, not my personal one... made another ticket apologizing for my stupidity
    To make ESO look and feel like a PC MMO check out the following:

PhinixUI addon-powered interface for ESO
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latest oops:

There is more resurrecting with soul gems in Cyrodiil without forward camps, and somehow I fumbles the selector when I tried to rez someone and I ended up inviting some random person to group. I didn't realize what had happened at first, but then I saw a group-hat on the map. We actually stayed grouped for a couple of hours for no apparent reason.

• Yusuf
    Yusuf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swapping weapons in pvp so i can use my cloak and think about how to approach these multiple enemies for a few seconds.

Weaponswap didn't work. Accidentally used all my stamina spamming Retreating Maneuver. Now i can't block. Now i'm dead.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yusuf wrote: »
    Swapping weapons in pvp so i can use my cloak and think about how to approach these multiple enemies for a few seconds.

Weaponswap didn't work. Accidentally used all my stamina spamming Retreating Maneuver. Now i can't block. Now i'm dead.

Yeah I did that the other day using Blazing Shield instead of Breath of Life. I mean sure, BS is good but not when spammed and takes up most of your magicka.

• SurprisedFour91
    SurprisedFour91
    ✭✭✭
    okay, i pvp alot for EP, i recently leveled a DC, so im pvping on the said DC toon and i find myself wandering into EP resources and dying, and im in ts like oops.

and when i did my first AA they said watch you don't walk off the cliffs, and what happens, i walk off the cliff :|
    @UrenTelvanni PC/NA
    Characters: ded class Sorc AR 50, Uræn Warden AR 42, Cancuren NB AR 33, Urenaissance Templar AR 31, ded game DK AR 24
    A Normal Bosmer Man NB AR 39, Lūst Templar AR 32, -Uren AR 25, Abęl Necro AR32, ????? Warden AR28

Fair Weather Friends
    Faction Locks Are Stupid