The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Favorite "Oops" moment?

• Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have rebound dodge to B, interrupt to R, quickslot to f2 and ultimate to f4 ... helps eliminate at least some of those oopsies.
  • pinkempyreal
    pinkempyreal
    ✭✭✭
    Depositing a ton of crafting materials, to include two purple refining mats and runes, into a guild bank that I do not have access to withdraw from instead of my own personal bank... I was too ashamed of my mistake to contact a guild leader about it, but man was I angry at myself.
  • zoetaz1616
    zoetaz1616
    ✭✭
    I've had many, some listed here. In particular, double tapping and rolling off cliffs. Usually during the key conversation moment in a quest. My favorite, however, is my finest pvp moment. I frequently switched skills around to level/try out combinations. When I started pvp, I mapped stampede next to fiery chain on my bar. I then proceeded to charge into huge groups of enemies instead of pulling one victim to me. I died a lot and badly.
  • Tabia
    Tabia
    Depositing a ton of crafting materials, to include two purple refining mats and runes, into a guild bank that I do not have access to withdraw from instead of my own personal bank... I was too ashamed of my mistake to contact a guild leader about it, but man was I angry at myself.

Ive done that, twice... Second time was a set of low level gear that i was saving due to the look it had. After having to explain to an officer what i had done, while waiting for him to mail it back to me, i found that set was nothing special and that i could already craft it. Id been wasting 6 precious bank storage slots on trash...
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of my oops's consist of doing the quests on the AD noob island areas in zombie mode since I've done them so many times in beta, only to find that I forgot to activate a portion of the quest before running off to the next only to wonder why the quests was "bugged". Then realizing oops I forgot to talk to so and so back there guess i gotta run back. :\
  • ClaudiaMay
    ClaudiaMay
    ✭✭✭
    Kind of an epic "oops" moment, but for me it was finally learning the difference between a standard solo dungeon and a real "public" dungeon.

I wandered into the public dungeon in Stormhaven (I think), thinking it was just a normal delve. Huge packs of 4-8 mobs, much more than I was used to. Well, I just pulled out my Clannfear and resto staff and started working my way through. Somehow, miraculously, I lived through the whole dang thing, even soloing one of the bosses and an ogre-thing that decided to pull too.

Finished my quest, got out and only then did it dawn on me that I should have done the thing in a group. :blush:
    Currently Playing:
    Sorcerer Claudia Warren May, lvl 40. Woodworking 25/Clothing 25/Provisioning 50.
    Dragon Knight, lvl 8. Blacksmithing/Enchanting.
    Nightblade, lvl 3. Alchemy.
    Templar, lvl 7.
  • GeeYouWhy
    GeeYouWhy
    ✭✭✭
    Forgetting to turn my toggle ability back on after dying ... which usually leads to another death.
    Konrandir, Vampire Sorcerer
  • Ganacampo
    Ganacampo
    ✭✭✭
    Accidently typing /stuck instead of /played when I wanted to see my playtime. :o
  • Muletide
    Muletide
    ✭✭✭
    Part A ) Letting my girlfriend create a character on my account, instantly making her an ESO addict and computer hog when she comes over.

Part B ) Checking out girlfriend's said character and having so much fun as a sorcerer I leveled her to 25.

Oops...
    Edited by Muletide on May 13, 2014 4:55PM
  • Draaconis
    Draaconis
    ✭✭
    The first time I bought the Impulse Destructive Staff skill, I ran around for an hour thinking it was bugged because it was greyed out. I had forgotten that I put on a purple healing staff two hours before that.
  • OrangeTheCat
    OrangeTheCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out in PvE I jumped off a small cliff without looking what might be below. Turned out to be a troll that I could not possibly solo at my level.
  • devolutedub17_ESO
    devolutedub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I was in the middle of putting on my robe and wizards hat when King Cassimir walked in, talk about an awkward explanation of how I saved the king.

but really, my biggest one so far was running over to grab a chest on a beach. Apparently someone had just run through and cleared out the pirates so it was quite devoid of them. Until they started beating me while trying to pick a lock, as they had respawned just as I started to pick it.
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Run up to a chest to lock pick it, see someone already standing there so I wait a distance away to see if they are opening it or going to leave it. After a few mins, they seems to be taking forever and I walk up closer, turns out to be an NPC who attacks.

Then while I am killing the NPC, another player runs up and unlocks/loots the chest.......
    Edited by Natjur on May 13, 2014 11:08PM
  • drschplatt
    drschplatt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if it really counts as a "whoops" or not, but I'm constantly going into public dungeons and as a sorcerer I keep backing up into the mobs that spawn right behind me because someone else ran through 5 min before I got there. I mean, how many times have we all walked into a room that was empty, started reading bookshelves, and the have 20 enemies spawn on top of us?

Another whoops is have 20 soul gems stored up only to level out of them, forget you don't have any, fight your way through a dungeon, get to the boss, die and have to start over because all your soul gems are for the wrong level now.
    Foräois - Imperial Sorcerer of Ineptitude.
    Widoch - Nord Dragon Knight of Ignorance.
    Billy Bob - Dunmer Templar of Chicken and Noodles.
    Blades of Vengeance
  • VampiricOmen
    VampiricOmen
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to sneak past mobs in a group dungeon thinking that I'll get away with it. Legging it once I realise I aggro'd a group of mobs, only to run into another group. Bonus points if another player sees my death.

Walking to the edge of a cliff and pressing any of the movement buttons for a fraction too long, promptly falling off the cliff to my death. Bonus points for landing in a group of mobs with low health.

Jumping off a cliff into water that looked deep, but was actually shallow. Bonus points if someone follows me like a lemming.

Pressing R with full ultimate instead of pressing E, bonus points for using it in a bank.

Pressing F instead of D and sending someone a trade request (I'm usually moving my mouse at the same time so the mouse wheel moves).

Attacking enemies head on thinking that they were facing the other way, only to die as my NB relies on the hidden/back critical bonus burst damage.

Pressing 1 after pressing E to talk to an NPC and select the first option (generally bankers) but pressing it too early, thus "attacking" the NPC.

Trying to solo a world boss because I think I'm high enough level. Death ensues with a res of shame at the nearest wayshrine, or if I nearly killed the boss, a rage revive on the spot. Bonus points if another player arrives near the end of fight and sees me die.

I'm an accident waiting to happen in just about every aspect of this game, but that's what makes it so much fun!
    Edited by VampiricOmen on May 14, 2014 1:50AM
  • lioslinn
    lioslinn
    ✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    Run up to a chest to lock pick it, see someone already standing there so I wait a distance away to see if they are opening it or going to leave it. After a few mins, they seems to be taking forever and I walk up closer, turns out to be an NPC who attacks.

Then while I am killing the NPC, another player runs up and unlocks/loots the chest.......

hahaha yes I've done exactly that!

Here's mine... Spend lots of time creating a character just so, go through starter island, run around Davon`s watch, explore Stonefalls.... and countless hours into this character run smack into an npc with the SAME NAME AS ME. *facepalm* I am seriously considering starting over because of this because it looks like I just lazily stole that npc's name. And here I thought I had an original name. What were the odds !

The only tiny upside is when people ask in chat where the anchor is, I can reply 'Just west of my camp you can't miss it' and get a few chuckles =p

I've also tried to carefully move around on a ledge to get just that perfect screenshot... and fall down to certain death. Bonus points for doing so in lava. Twice.

Running into a fight... only to realize I haven't resummoned my pet yet. Ouch.

Looking for a treasure location from one of those nice hand-drawn maps telling myself I can ALMOST line up the elements in the drawing if I stand around here... or maybe here... only to realize an HOUR later I was in the wrong zone completely. sigh.

reality.sys corrupted-reboot universe [y/n] _
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swimming fast across a river in Cyrodiil knowing there are slaughterfish but also knowing as an Argonian you will get to the other side fine. But forgetting you have a whole group of mates following you... Opps
  • Shyrith
    Shyrith
    Was waiting with one other for more people at a level 23 Anchor. Decided I'd shout in zone after a few minutes to announce that it was up.

Stood there for about 3 minutes with just us 2. Was going to wait for 2 more minutes.

In another game I play, to rotate the camera you press left or right on the mouse and drag. So out of habit, I clicked the right button on my mouse and let go as soon as I realized what I did. Then much to my embarrassment, as the fire spell took off, I tried to stop it myself by raising my hand from the mouse to.. I don't even know. Catch it before it could hit one of the bad people?

Well it hit, despite my effort to stop it. The other person decided to attack them instead of letting me just die. And then luckily for both of us, 4 people showed up out of no where.

But yeah. Oops. And derp.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll add two from last night.

There was a protracted battle for a keep controlled by my character's alliance because it held an Elder Scroll. One enemy faction would attack en mass, then the other, then one, then the other. Eventually both opposing alliances teamed up and again a long, drawn out sort of battles ensued.

First, I was with a smallish zerg near a resource keep when an even smaller zerg showed from another faction. There was a lot of tentative skirmishing and backpeddling on both sides. Often if you /yell something like "Attack!" or even just charge, your own faction's zerg will respond by following you since someone has made a choice. It's all about social psychology. So I charged, thinking the others who were right behind me would also attack. I rezzed my character 10 seconds later. Apparently the others had decided to start a redeploy a second or two before my charge when I wasn't looking :p

Second, one the other side of the keep was another resource keep that saw a good bit of action. A decent size group from another faction kept getting overwhelmed by our defending zerg and retreating inside the resource keep. Group leaders and others would /zone and /yell about not CAPing (i.e. standing or moving close to the flag of that resource and therefore capturing it). The logic for this is that once a larger group of enemy players is inside a resource keep, attackers rushing in after then get killed upon entry by massive attacks aimed at the inside of the door. This leaves a much a much preferable siege option. But you can't knock down the walls of your own alliance's buildings, which is what that resource keep is after you capture its flag. Hence zone chat was periodically filled with "Don't cap!" and "Stay away from the flag!" as well as explanations of why. Repeatedly. But every time it would happen. Finally after 3 or 4 iterations of this (retreat, let the resource keep officially turn over the to other faction, chase them back into the resource keep, have our players capture the resource) someone apparently got too close to the flag...

Oops indeed!

No, it wasn't me! But I felt bad for those players who were frustrated and those who were being yelled at as there was clearly a disconnect. It's easy to make a mistake and it didn't really matter in the end as the swarming of the main keep eventually caused it to fall. In the end I think that pattern (not the same individual but the same basic sequence of events) happened at least 2-3 more times.

And for full disclosure, I'll claim something of this second "Oops" since it this is supposed to be about ourselves and not in anyway complaining about others (not trying to complain above just felt it was "Oops"-worthy). When I first started trying PvP last week in Cyrodiil as opposed to just doing PvE there I too was in a zerg that kept "capping" because I didn't know about the game mechanics behind the "rush into the resource keep" ploy. People do eventually learn :) Again, I chose to bring up the second example so those who err or experience bad luck realize they are not the only ones!
    Edited by tinythinker on May 14, 2014 12:09PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Sallakat
    Sallakat
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't the one going 'oops' myself rather than laughing my ass off at the backgroud, but in one of the early dungeons we did with guildies, our DK tank and NB dps started a mob kill by charging to them with their charge skills. Well, the mobs were situated on a bridge type of thing and both tanky and the deepsy just charged right off the bridge on top of a big mob downstairs. Needless to say we wiped.
    Rebuilt - Aldmeri Dominion

Kaia Linnea - templar
    Ruusu - sorcerer
    Aino - nightblade
  • GaBacon
    GaBacon
    ✭✭
    Ok, i was fighting mobs and a few other people showed up, we were all fighting together for a while and i started to run off. They followed. I kept running and noticed a cliff ahead with a huge drop off. I ran to the edge of it and stopped... they didnt lol.

i didnt do it intentionaly but it was kind of funny to see and hear them falling down.
  • Ashenangel
    Ashenangel
    ✭✭
    soo many monements i like to forget theres fall dmg in this game and jump off and land in a mob half dead :blush:
    The worlds gone to hell in a hand basket >:)
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I had my arrow ready in a Dungeon at a boss battle. I thought we where going to kill the boss first but the leader said he was going 5 mins AFK. I accidently released the arrow on the boss and we where wiped. OOPS
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    My most recent favorite "oops" moment was last night, indulging in my favorite sport of cliff diving or base jumping. I was on the highest cliff I'd ever been on, and it felt glorious. Wanted to run up to the edge and look over to see if I was over deep water. Ran right off the edge instead and had a very loooong freefall to enjoy the view as I plummeted to my death in ankle deep water.

On the other hand, I did that once and landed right next to a treasure chest. That was nice.

And then there was the time I told my group to go to such-and-such place directly west of us, and I took off like a hare ... running east.
    Edited by Sue_D_Nim on May 19, 2014 4:32AM
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing an ranged dps and healing sorcerer I tend to have some layouts I shift between, mostly on 3 and 5: well pvp setup uses bolt escape on 5, this is also nice for sending you straight at the boss.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO
    Selling, selling, selling stuff. Crap! Sold gold tempers! :open_mouth:
    "Do you want the book or not? Then go whack some people with Wabbajack!!"
  • sevcik.miroslaveb17_ESO
    In Cyrodiil. I am healer and one enemy was trying to kill me badly. I managed to defend myself until allies arrived, he started to run so I chased him. When I crossed the hill I found like 15 other enemies of the thrird faction and I did not realised that my allies retreated to keep... Me and the guy that tried to kill me were slaughtered together:-).

Never again I chase someone alone:-).
  • SkullTang
    SkullTang
    Soul Shriven
    Was heading back to Davon’s watch to do some crafting thought the gate was down on the other side of this cliff NOPE wrong side I went splat.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not so long ago so not really nuub mistake, but epic blonde moment...
    Keep defense in Cyrodiil...Seeing like 40 EP outside gate and few rezzing, i decided to interrupt them with ''Blinding Javelin''(templar ranged knock back).
    Kinda forget that just before entering Cyro i changed keys, adding 2 new skills, so long story short, instead of throwing spear, i used ''Explosive Charge'' and jumped with ultra speed into middle of mentioned group of EP :D

But more funny is that about 5-6 people, thinking we are charging, jumped after me...Dont think i have to explain how this charge ended...
  • JoeSchlock
    JoeSchlock
    ✭✭
    Hehe - all great so far :)
    I did a Han Solo the other day with my Healer in a public dungeon...
    Ran around a corner following a lone enemy and looking for loot and ran into a large-ish group of enemy spell casters and archers... then my group mates heard me yelling "Aaaaaaaaah" on TS while I ran back out of the room and around the corner with fireballs, ice projectiles and arrows zipping around me B)

dstiebay.jpg
    Edited by JoeSchlock on May 20, 2014 10:19AM