The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Post Release Console Poll: Gamertags/PSN ID's or Character Names be shown?

Zazaaji
Zazaaji
✭✭✭✭
Now that everyone has had a chance to try it out, let's see what the people think.
PLEASE DO NOT ARGUE WITH OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINIONS WITH PERSONAL ATTACKS OR INSULTS OF ANY KIND.
To get the most votes possible, this thread can't get closed for flaming/insulting others.
-
Edited by Zazaaji on June 10, 2015 12:32AM
English is not my first language, Finnish is.
Please don't heap on me for grammar problems.

Post Release Console Poll: Gamertags/PSN ID's or Character Names be shown? 602 votes

The current system is horrible, I want to always see charcter names and not Gamertags/PSN names in proximity, group, etc.
51%
Mat_Cauthondantetifosi_ESOMoloch1514Clansman2013Elventthomblf_ESOCupp21Sauahedrick777b14_ESOArvakBobbyParadoxchefhennigb14_ESOCjfowler66b14_ESOverzwicktdcorsiukb14_ESODiviniusDcaliberMirra_HalfelvenTimeLord75 308 votes
I want an optional toggle to switch between Gamertags/PSN names and character names at will to be displayed.
41%
ZazaajiQuaffleRosetallennSolarikenGidorickNaivefanboimikec1781_ESOizenkim_ESOOrontosRook_MasterMissionskttlmn13_ESOKaprielSythiasadilesarub14_ESOUglyTriangleCherryMalivionkarmamuleCapnPhoton 251 votes
I like seeing Gamertags/PSN names instead of character names, do not change it or add an optional toggle.
7%
NerioThymosLawfulEvilNewBlacksmurfcoryevans_3b14_ESOdefcon.dealer1b14_ESOMercyKillingBigMStaticWaxgranty2008cyb16_ESOBarsidkWickedGenesisBloodStormJeraziahBallzy321evogajybgessGrimnaurTostiee 43 votes
  • izenkim_ESO
    izenkim_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I want an optional toggle to switch between Gamertags/PSN names and character names at will to be displayed.
    After 7 hours of work, I just want to play more. I don't care how many l33t, drug, or sex references I encounter... need to play.
  • Funkopotamus
    Funkopotamus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The current system is horrible, I want to always see charcter names and not Gamertags/PSN names in proximity, group, etc.
    Never thought I would be playing an ElderScrolls game and sex666, or luvdahoes45 anywhere near my screen

MMaahhhnnn how far they have fallen lol.
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!" Sallington
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never thought I would be playing an ElderScrolls game and sex666, or luvdahoes45 anywhere near my screen

xSwagMasta420x is a real Gamertag on XBL.
  • Turkeysammich
    Turkeysammich
    ✭✭✭
    Way to many druggy or sex refference names, i could also do without the random 5 guys on mic calling each other the N word, and not have to turn voice volume down, really needs a text chat, at least for the logs for reporting. I might switch to Euro side, im not sure, but i doubt there would be so many "xX" or "420" in thier psn names, i can only blame bad parenting
    Edited by Turkeysammich on June 9, 2015 11:31PM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like seeing Gamertags/PSN names instead of character names, do not change it or add an optional toggle.
    Keep it simple. I want to know who I'm playing with on console which is why I play on console.

If I want to be confused I'll go back to PC
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Given the PSN tag is half the log in displaying it is a security fail .. correct me if I am wrong.
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Dahkoht
    Dahkoht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep it simple. I want to know who I'm playing with on console which is why I play on console.

If I want to be confused I'll go back to PC

Yeah , the console players get confused easy so they can't have options, forgot about that.

Ridiculous.
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    PLEASE DO NOT ARGUE WITH OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINIONS WITH PERSONAL ATTACKS OR INSULTS OF ANY KIND.
    To get the most votes possible, this thread can't get closed for flaming/insulting others.
    -
    Edited by Zazaaji on June 10, 2015 12:32AM
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Trouble is, on PS4 there is no way to ever change your gamer tag. So if you were 12 and chose a stupid name 8 years ago, you are now 20, and stuck with it.

With digital downloads, PS Plus, trophies, creating an entire new account isn't an option.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite simply, in any case related referring to a PLAYER, the MS or Sony account names should be used.

In any case related to referring to a CHARACTER, the character name should be visible. Alternately, both are acceptable.

None of the poll options really reflect this.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • coryevans_3b14_ESO
    coryevans_3b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really just want more polls.
  • Funkopotamus
    Funkopotamus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know Cryptic got a lot of things wrong with NeverWinter...

But they did get the character naming thing right. I do not think they can TM that can they lol?
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!" Sallington
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's what IGN says about it in their review in progress so far:
    About those names... One quirk of The Elder Scrolls Online for consoles is that other players don't see your name as whatever cool roleplay-inspired name you made for yourself at character creations; instead, they see it as your gamertag. Happily, mine's not so bad, but it's not uncommon to see the likes of NinjaBustexxx345 running around Riften and Mournhold, which claws at some of the sympathies of the roleplayer inside me.
  • BloodStorm
    BloodStorm
    ✭✭✭
    I made a new PS plus account a year ago to fit into the ES world because I knew this would be the case most likely. I truly am a master strategist. Molag bal would be proud of my forsight. Still seeing character names in party though is still nice.
    Edited by BloodStorm on June 10, 2015 12:48AM
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Funniest comment I have read today. Thank you for that.
  • lsneakl
    lsneakl
    ✭✭✭
    OzJohnD wrote: »
    Given the PSN tag is half the log in displaying it is a security fail .. correct me if I am wrong.

Your wrong people can still get to your gamer tag if you play any other game or go to recently played on Xbox or PS.
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    But they did get the character naming thing right. I do not think they can TM that can they lol?
    What does TM mean in this context? I can't figure it out.
  • PoseidonEvil
    PoseidonEvil
    ✭✭✭
    yeah i definitely fell like not being able to see character names takes away the heart and soul of elder scrolls lol.
    In-game ID: alchelvly
    Phixeon Maghi -- Breton Healer
    Harrow the Souleater -- Breton Necro Healer
    Krogyle dro-Smoketh -- Orc Stamdk
  • Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭
    Zazaaji wrote: »
    What does TM mean in this context? I can't figure it out.

@Zazaaji TM = Trade Mark
    Edited by Mirra_Halfelven on June 10, 2015 2:10AM
    Mirra Halfelven, Templar Troublemaker
    Daggerfall Covenant - PS4 NA
    PSN: Scooby_609
  • Orontos
    Orontos
    I'd like a toggle so I can see people's character names for immersion sake. While at the same time being able to toggle the PSN name of a troll or similar and block them and all their characters. In an ideal world.
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bumping from page 2
  • Tre_775
    Tre_775
    ✭✭✭
    TESO can take a lesson from how Battle.net implements BattleTag and Real ID. You can still block trolls and all of the respective account's characters via BattleTag , you can recognize your friend's characters through either BattleTag or Real ID, and do all this without ever knowing their log-in name. Bottom line is that it gives people choices and provides levels of security. Seeing player's Gamertags/PSN names in-game flat our ruins immersion and RP.
    "He was already insane before he left Tamriel. Mad as a box of frogs..."
    - Lyris Titanborn in reference to Sir Cadwell
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tre_775 wrote: »
    Seeing player's Gamertags/PSN names in-game flat our ruins immersion and RP.
    Exactly why so many are against it.
  • BTimony
    BTimony
    Soul Shriven
    Not being able to show my character name is a huge let down. I guess I just assumed I'd be able to do that, since not being able to do that makes no sense. Why take the role play out of RPG?
    It's mind boggling. How was this allowed to happen?
    Edited by BTimony on June 10, 2015 9:45AM
  • ChillsSilvertail
    ChillsSilvertail
    ✭✭✭
    BTimony wrote: »
    Not being able to show my character name is a huge let down. I guess I just assumed I'd be able to do that, since not being able to do that makes no sense. Why take the role play out of RPG?
    It's mind boggling. How was this allowed to happen?

I know right? Whoever thought this was a fine decision must've never played an mmorpg before. This does not bode well for the future of ESO if that person is still in charge
  • tengri
    tengri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been countless of such questionable, no wait... stupid decisions made over the last months... it really feels that everyone involved in creating the original, immersive experience that is/was TESO has been canned.
    And all who are left in charge are a few empty marketing suits who are making decisions without any interest in the game itself at all.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character names should definitely be visible somehow in the world. Whether that's a complete change from Gamertags/IDs to character names, a toggle option, or displaying both the gamertags/IDs and the names, they should be there somewhere in the nameplate. That's why it's called a NAMEplate.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Naivefanboi
    Naivefanboi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Current system IS HORRIBLE! But i really dont understand why the fans and devs cant COMPROMISE.

Make it OPTIONAL, every 1 wins.

But same could be said for chat logs, we all know how that went. Lol.
  • lsneakl
    lsneakl
    ✭✭✭
    Current system IS HORRIBLE! But i really dont understand why the fans and devs cant COMPROMISE.

Make it OPTIONAL, every 1 wins.

But same could be said for chat logs, we all know how that went. Lol.

Never got a response to this over the last couple weeks but is there any game on Xbox/PS that has user created names just for that game?

I always feel that it would cause issues with user reporting on consoles.
  • WelshAssassin1987
    I'd like a Toggle option. I take pride in naming and developing some of my characters from an RP perspective so not seeing the name is a pain. Hopefully the option will be introduced in the future.
    PSN: Welsh_Assassin26

EU Server: Ulfmark Ironwolf - Nord - Stamina Sorcerer - EP