Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Post Release Console Poll: Gamertags/PSN ID's or Character Names be shown?

• Cjfowler66b14_ESO
    Cjfowler66b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    The current system is horrible, I want to always see charcter names and not Gamertags/PSN names in proximity, group, etc.
    Please for the love of God let us see character names I feel like I'm killing accounts in PvP, not people
    Options
  • Neirymn
    Neirymn
    ✭✭✭✭
    The current system is horrible, I want to always see charcter names and not Gamertags/PSN names in proximity, group, etc.
    Dahkoht wrote: »
    Because it exactly describes how I would set it for me. I don't take the first choice as saying it wouldn't allow others to have the option to have always the gamer tag or taking it out.

I've posted multiple times that options for people , be it text chat , character names , remapping controls and so on are always good.

I would never choose to see the gamertags thus that was my choice , no where does it say to take it away for others.

If that was the purpose of the first choice then I wouldnt have chosen it.

Same goes for me, I said I want to see character names but I will be happy with an option to toggle between IDs/names as well. I don't care if players can see my PSN ID as long as I can see their charcater names instead. :p It's seeing the gamertag when aiming at another player that disturbs me the most. I can't help it, it's so illogical, weird, immerssion breaking in a MMORPG and especially in a TES game... ^^' They can choose stupid names or whatever they want, as long as it's not a code like thing with numbers, caps everywhere and that thing "_". lol
    Edited by Neirymn on June 14, 2015 5:43PM
    Options
  • DeanWinchester88
    DeanWinchester88
    ✭✭✭
    I want an optional toggle to switch between Gamertags/PSN names and character names at will to be displayed.
    This doesn't really bug me, but I do hope they add this option. What exactly makes you guys think that people won't name their characters stupid names that ruin your immersion? lol
    Edited by DeanWinchester88 on June 13, 2015 11:20PM
    Xbox One/PC, North America.
    GT: Casper Fallout3
    Options
  • rottingprimate
    I want an optional toggle to switch between Gamertags/PSN names and character names at will to be displayed.
    Thanks for this thread, it would be so great if a change could be made on this issue....it is really my only gripe about the game so far.
    Options
  • Neirymn
    Neirymn
    ✭✭✭✭
    This doesn't really bug me, but I do hope they add this option. What exactly makes you guys think that people won't name their characters stupid names that ruin your immersion? lol

They will! lol But at least we could display ours and get rid of numbers (1,2,3...) and symbol (_) that is never used to make a real or fantasy name. :)
    Options
  • djnapstyb14_ESO
    djnapstyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Bad poll. Just add player names to the display on top of gamertag. Would rather see player names but if gamertag is needed for functionality with the console network, Just display both.
    EP FOR LIFE
    Options
  • UTG_Zilla
    UTG_Zilla
    ✭✭✭
    Im just sayin, I don't want my khajit to be named "q'iam the liar1111111" or something like that
    Options
  • Locket
    Locket
    I'd like both options. Personally I wanna see the characters name but still be able to easily identify the PSN so I can add them if need be. I didn't realize I was looking at PSN names at first and was flying into a nerd rage seeing all these horrible names like AcidicRain. Then it dawned on me that I was looking at the usernames and everyone saw me as BagOfBoots.
    Options
  • Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will always accept a toggle, choice is good; but, I am really tired of flashing by coded letters and numbers that make me pull back to read them again or following BigBalz4U down the road. Yes, I did that tonight while on the EU server.
    Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
    Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
    Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
    Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
    Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
    Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
    Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
    Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
    Options
  • pookus
    pookus
    Soul Shriven
    Locket wrote: »
    I'd like both options. Personally I wanna see the characters name but still be able to easily identify the PSN so I can add them if need be. I didn't realize I was looking at PSN names at first and was flying into a nerd rage seeing all these horrible names like AcidicRain. Then it dawned on me that I was looking at the usernames and everyone saw me as BagOfBoots.

Bag of boots works as an Argonian name at least
    Edited by pookus on June 14, 2015 1:39AM
    Options
  • IXI_WiCKeD_IXI
    IXI_WiCKeD_IXI
    ✭✭✭
    Sucks not being able to send someone in game mail because you don't know their character name
    Options
  • Sevec
    Sevec
    ✭✭✭
    I expect crap like this from the makers of Halo. But not from Zenimax!

My gamertag is a very masculine name that I made up, because it's supposed to represent ME.

I HATE the idea of others seeing that ridiculous name over my female characters' heads. I NEVER play as myself, it's dull and boring and repetitive (to me). So this annoys the hell out of me. This system does not accurately represent who my characters are or who I am. It's actually a tad embarrassing.

A toggle option makes some sense, especially for those who are looking for their friends and can't be bothered to ask them for their toon's name. It could also help in identifying people you wish to avoid. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of faith in them to implement something as complex as a toggle option.

As it stands, with no confirmation about whether this is a bug or a moronic decision, all I can say is that this is pure and utter incompetence.

EDIT: After a bit more searching, it appears as though this was an intentional move on the developers' part.

Apparently they decided that its was a bad idea to stick with what makes sense, and instead chose to copy other console games. After all, why would we want to use the names we have to pick? Why bother since us dumb console players are just a bunch of sex-obsessed teenagers who prefer quality names names like XXXNoobBewb3zXXX over anything that's not insanely stupid. I'm just shocked that they didn't eliminate character creation and turn all weapons into machine guns.
    Edited by Sevec on June 14, 2015 3:50AM
    Options
  • FancyTuna8
    FancyTuna8
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone thinks stupid names are going away just because we could see character names. But as it is, almost NO gamertags/psn account names fit this game and it is annoying.

Oh, and I would like the option, if I wish to spend my valuable time doing so, to somehow blur a name I don't want to look at. I plan on playing this game a lot, but when I see someone with vulgar names I can't play with any of my kids in the same room if that character might be paralleling the same quests I'm doing. Just let me choose something that makes their name look like the old comic strip swearing (#*#&, etc.)
    Options
  • X-XIII
    X-XIII
    Soul Shriven
    What is the point of the rankings in Cyrodil ? The character names are the ones written in the Emperorships (rankings) but the PSN names are used for everything else? we wont know who the Emperor is, or any of those top rankers that are in the rankings, even if you are already fighting beside/ or against them....... unless ofc you know them personally (PSN)

for example, we wanted to try and form a small raiding/siege party with the top 5 ranked (most active) in the campaign, (send them a party invite) but it is almost impossible to figure out who they are. (PSN)

Edited by X-XIII on June 14, 2015 2:34PM
    (EU) PSN: Jah-XIII
    IGN: Sir Justice Leone XII
    Options
  • Ruthven
    Ruthven
    ✭✭✭
    Crazy idea: show character name in-game and show gamertag/PSN name in the details when you interact with the character.
    Options
  • Neirymn
    Neirymn
    ✭✭✭✭
    X-XIII wrote: »
    What is the point of the rankings in Cyrodil ? The character names are the ones written in the Emperorships (rankings) but the PSN names are used for everything else? we wont know who the Emperor is, or any of those top rankers that are in the rankings, even if you are already fighting beside/ or against them....... unless ofc you know them personally (PSN)

for example, we wanted to try and form a small raiding/siege party with the top 5 ranked (most active) in the campaign, (send them a party invite) but it is almost impossible to figure out who they are. (PSN)

It is actually a bug the character names displaying instead of gamertags in the ranking. It's in the known issues list.
    Ruthven wrote: »
    Crazy idea: show character name in-game and show gamertag/PSN name in the details when you interact with the character.

I'll be cool with that, or character names in the name plate at the top of the health bar and PSN ID on the aiming point in the middle of the screen instead of IDs everywhere... we're seeing twice the same info when targeting another player without even interacting with it. :neutral:
    Options
  • defcon.dealer1b14_ESO
    defcon.dealer1b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like seeing Gamertags/PSN names instead of character names, do not change it or add an optional toggle.
    The thing that's silly is that a character can be named the gamertag based on the naming rules so all of this back n forth doesn't resolve the issue.

The issue is that some of you want to force a role play only naming limitation.
    It's not the gamertag that's the issue.

Why do you hate allowing others to have options so much ? How would it hurt you if they allowed others to see character names instead ?

What is it about a certain , very small , minority of players who don't want to be given options like this or others ?

It just seems odd and illogical to me to prefer no options vs options.

Very easy to understand poll options to vote on...very very easy to understand. Good job on making the 3 choices extremely easy to understand wat each one means. B)

Poll option 2) I want an optional toggle to switch between Gamertags/PSN names and character names at will to be displayed.

Poll option 1) The current system is horrible, I want to always see charcter names and not Gamertags/PSN names in proximity, group, etc.

But yet, you chose the no option one..... lol It's ok, some folks are scared of options I heard that from someone on here...
    Edited by defcon.dealer1b14_ESO on June 14, 2015 6:22PM
    I'm offended that ur offended....

PC NA
    PSN NA
    Options
  • X-XIII
    X-XIII
    Soul Shriven
    senhavran wrote: »
    It is actually a bug the character names displaying instead of gamertags in the ranking. It's in the known issues list.

Thank you.
    (EU) PSN: Jah-XIII
    IGN: Sir Justice Leone XII
    Options
  • Merkabeh
    Merkabeh
    ✭✭✭
    The ability to see character names or PSN IDs is the best option I think.

We can show character names for normal play; but if we want to send someone a friend request or something, we can switch to PSN IDs to get that info.

Best of both worlds.
    Crusader of The Knights of the Alessian Order

Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!" - Sallington

#CommunicationEquality
    Options
  • Neirymn
    Neirymn
    ✭✭✭✭
    @X-XIII you're welcome. :)
    Merkabeh wrote: »

We can show character names for normal play; but if we want to send someone a friend request or something, we can switch to PSN IDs to get that info.

Best of both worlds.

Sure, let's keep asking for it and don't give up guys! =D
    Options
  • Merkabeh
    Merkabeh
    ✭✭✭
    senhavran wrote: »
    @X-XIII you're welcome. :)
    Merkabeh wrote: »

Best of both worlds.

Sure, let's keep asking for it and don't give up guys! =D

It is one of 2 issues I don't intend to drop. Character names and Text chat.
    Crusader of The Knights of the Alessian Order

Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!" - Sallington

#CommunicationEquality
    Options
  • Dahkoht
    Dahkoht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing that's silly is that a character can be named the gamertag based on the naming rules so all of this back n forth doesn't resolve the issue.

Why do you hate allowing others to have options so much ? How would it hurt you if they allowed others to see character names instead ?

What is it about a certain , very small , minority of players who don't want to be given options like this or others ?

Very easy to understand poll options to vote on...very very easy to understand. Good job on making the 3 choices extremely easy to understand wat each one means. B)

Poll option 2) I want an optional toggle to switch between Gamertags/PSN names and character names at will to be displayed.

Poll option 1) The current system is horrible, I want to always see charcter names and not Gamertags/PSN names in proximity, group, etc.

But yet, you chose the no option one..... lol It's ok, some folks are scared of options I heard that from someone on here...

You know , I admire that you're not ashamed of your heritage , even if it's a sad one , and even advertise pics of yourself showing it in your twitter signature. Props to you.

59110007.jpg

Edited by Dahkoht on June 14, 2015 9:58PM
    Options
  • xX_BLUDWULF_Xx
    xX_BLUDWULF_Xx
    ✭✭✭
    Not to say one is better than the other, fact is ESOTU is the best MMORPG that I have played in a long time (finally, a real viable alternative to WoW!), but Neverwinter online has a decent solution for this. What they do is: Character_Name@User_Name as the name display over player toons. To be honest though, I would prefer a toggle between the two.
    Options
  • Tennetty
    Tennetty
    PSN names blows.... No RPG depth for an RPG... That's the most base level thing... I mean, really THE first level thing someone thinks of when making a character... Name.

What's in a name? EVERYTHING.

W. T. F.

Please give the real players what they want and let all the pretenders go back to Call of Halo or whatever...
    Options
  • Mr_Bubbely
    Mr_Bubbely
    ✭✭
    Toggle option, making in game character names the default option would be great. I really hope ZoS adds this.
    Guildmaster of The Royal Imperial Legion
    Options
  • defcon.dealer1b14_ESO
    defcon.dealer1b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like seeing Gamertags/PSN names instead of character names, do not change it or add an optional toggle.

You know , I admire that you're not ashamed of your heritage , even if it's a sad one , and even advertise pics of yourself showing it in your twitter signature. Props to you.

59110007.jpg

I to admire you for being so pro options.......then voting for no option. Props for admitting ur fear of options/being consistent.

B)
    I'm offended that ur offended....

PC NA
    PSN NA
    Options
  • Desommettor
    Desommettor
    ✭✭
    Can we get a response from Z.O on this please?
    Options
  • Neirymn
    Neirymn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe in the Ask us anything segment in ESO Live tomorrow. :)
    Options
  • Rimfrost
    Rimfrost
    ✭✭
    What's the default?

I haven't played in a while and I remember having an addon which may alter that. I see the character names only. I guess that's due to the mod, though the reason for my question is that I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway I believe it should be the character name which is displayed when your character interacts with others. It's very immersion-breaking to see account names in-game.
    Options
  • Neirymn
    Neirymn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rimfrost wrote: »
    What's the default?

I haven't played in a while and I remember having an addon which may alter that. I see the character names only. I guess that's due to the mod, though the reason for my question is that I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway I believe it should be the character name which is displayed when your character interacts with others. It's very immersion-breaking to see account names in-game.

We can't have addons on console that's why we are asking to see character's name instead of Gamertag and PSN IDs, a toggle option would be nice, though I voted for no options because, in my opinion, it should have always be character names that display, especially in a MMORPG and a TES game. ;)
    Options