The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Community Vision and Increased Moderation

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
Hello everyone,

One of the goals of the official ESO forums is to provide a safe, welcoming place for our players and developers to read and talk about the game. We want to foster healthy and constructive discussions, debates and feedback, and with The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited quickly approaching, welcome new and returning players.

Effective immediately, we will be enforcing stricter moderation of the existing rules on our forums, and will be much less tolerant of any type of behavior that hurts everyone’s experience. We will not tolerate trolling, demands, abusive or insulting language toward our community members, developers, company, or ESO itself. Once you receive a warning for any moderation action, you will be suspended for 72 hours on your next offense. Any violation after your suspension will result in a permanent ban from our forums (note that this will not affect your in-game status).

We’d love for everyone to take another look at How to be an ESO Community Hero to really embrace the type of behavior we’d like to see. We also want to encourage you to continue using the Report button for any posts or threads that may require a moderator’s attention. We recognize this may require some adjustments in the way you communicate and interact with each other, but with your help, it will make for a healthier and more constructive community. If there’s any doubt about what you’re about to post, please double check the rules.

Thanks for your continued support and understanding!
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I may advise to not only increase moderation, but developer and CSR participation as well. I am certain this would help much more in fostering a healthy community than any crack down on trolls.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    If I may advise to not only increase moderation, but developer and CSR participation as well. I am certain this would help much more in fostering a healthy community than any crack down on trolls.
    We completely agree. Once the dust settles a bit from this change of direction, you should expect to see increased participation from the developers. They would love to chime into constructive threads and provide some feedback!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spamming: Please do not post spam on the official The Elder Scrolls Online forums. Below are a few examples of what we define as spamming:

Posting the same message more than once
    Posting messages that are nonsensical or have no real content
    Posting messages or images large enough to disrupt the normal flow of conversation
    Reposting material that has been removed by a member of the ESO Team
    Also, please refrain from posting the same topic in multiple areas of the forum, or cross-posting in an attempt to gain further views or replies. This is considered spamming, and the duplicate threads will be removed.

Just to put this out there. Is posting an image say a cat meme or some such within the confines of a thread considered spamming? At what point are we not adding anything to the discussion?

I am 100% seriously asking because there may be quite a few people getting the ban hammer for spamming if they are not told ahead of time.

Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I am sure some may be caught by surprise by tighter than "usual" moderation, May I suggest a clear reference to the part of the rules that were broken? This is especially important where enforcement has been more forgiving in the past.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    We definitely need a subscribers only forum where we can voice concerns that apparently will result in bans if submitted on the free for all forums where we all have to march in lock step with smiling faces.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    yodased wrote: »
    Spamming: Please do not post spam on the official The Elder Scrolls Online forums. Below are a few examples of what we define as spamming:

Posting the same message more than once
    Posting messages that are nonsensical or have no real content
    Posting messages or images large enough to disrupt the normal flow of conversation
    Reposting material that has been removed by a member of the ESO Team
    Also, please refrain from posting the same topic in multiple areas of the forum, or cross-posting in an attempt to gain further views or replies. This is considered spamming, and the duplicate threads will be removed.

Just to put this out there. Is posting an image say a cat meme or some such within the confines of a thread considered spamming? At what point are we not adding anything to the discussion?

I am 100% seriously asking because there may be quite a few people getting the ban hammer for spamming if they are not told ahead of time.
    Use your best judgement. :) As long as the image is generally on-topic, isn't vulgar or gigantic (no long cats, please!), you'll be fine. We're not trying to strip all the fun from the forums.
    Since I am sure some may be caught by surprise by tighter than "usual" moderation, May I suggest a clear reference to the part of the rules that were broken? This is especially important where enforcement has been more forgiving in the past.
    Yes, absolutely. We will always let you know which rule has been broken and why you're being moderated via a PM.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • BillyMailman
    BillyMailman
    ✭✭✭
    We also want to encourage you to continue using the Report button for any posts or threads that may require a moderator’s attention.

In that case, I'd like to re-raise a point I brought up months ago. Can we please get some sort of feedback after reporting things? I tried helping out by reporting things early on, but there's absolutely no way to know if I was reporting the sort of things that needed removal or not. It's more than a little bit discouraging, not having any idea whether or not you're helping.
  • ashlee17
    ashlee17
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow - I'm kind of happy about this news :) looking forward to more developer responses :) and more encouragement for people to leave constructive thread feedback!

Pretty please have them read this one -
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/145742/help-we-need-more-guild-management-tools#latest

Fingers crossed for a dev response- but I will continue to give zos as much helpful feedback as I can and rally others to do the same!
    Administrator of More Than Fair Guild- North American Server- Come and Join us for a fun and friendly experience - 480+ members and great trader location- all factions welcome - mail me @ashlee17 in game for an invite.
    Join the crusade for better guild management tools!
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/145742/help-we-need-more-guild-management-tools/p1
    Please comment and support this cause!
  • Xexpo
    Xexpo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Disagree button could really help cut down on all the trolling. :trollface:
    (and maybe removing the troll face emo)
    Kiki Dickson ~~~ Dixmanian Devil ~~~ Cornelius Buckshank Jr.
    Histy-Fitz ~~~ Boozemer ~~~ Chace X'expo
    Lluvia De'Fuego ~~~ Shakes Spear
    Macro and Cheese NA/PC
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    We also want to encourage you to continue using the Report button for any posts or threads that may require a moderator’s attention.

In that case, I'd like to re-raise a point I brought up months ago. Can we please get some sort of feedback after reporting things? I tried helping out by reporting things early on, but there's absolutely no way to know if I was reporting the sort of things that needed removal or not. It's more than a little bit discouraging, not having any idea whether or not you're helping.
    Definitely understand where you're coming from, but keep in mind we never discuss any action taken against another player's account. We can assure you that every reported post is reviewed entirely within the context, and acted on appropriately.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If one has a complaint about some aspect of the game or company policy is one still allowed to bring that to the forums? Or must all dissatisfaction now be handled privately via customer service?
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lordrichter has an excellent point. Any time the way moderation is performed changes, it is very important to make it clear to people exactly why moderation is being performed. This is the only way to avoid making it look arbitrary, which (naturally) leads to resentment.

I'd suggest when a post is moderated a private message be sent to the poster with details on the rule broken, and why the post was considered a violation of that rule. At the same time, the moderated post should be left in the thread rather than vanishing (with edits, naturally, up to and including removing the entirety of the text), with a message stating what rule the post broke. That way, not only does the person who posted it know exactly what he/she did wrong, but others are aware of what sorts of offenses are resulting in moderation. You also avoid vanishing post syndrome by doing this. I've seen a couple of forums implode due to community irritation over vanishing post syndrome. Granted, they were smaller forums that weren't the official forum of any company, but still I think it's important to have that kind of transparency.
    LonePirate wrote: »
    We definitely need a subscribers only forum where we can voice concerns that apparently will result in bans if submitted on the free for all forums where we all have to march in lock step with smiling faces.
    The announcement above certainly doesn't say anything about "voicing concerns" resulting in bans. Mind you, if those "concerns" are voiced as demands, or using "abusive or insulting language toward our community members, developers, company, or ESO itself" that's another story. It sounds like with this increased moderation they are essentially forcing people to act like adults, and voice any concerns in a reasonable manner, instead of in the manner of petulant children which is so often seen on these forums. And for the record, that is not directed at you @LonePirate - I don't recall seeing you acting childish on the forums. It might have happened, but if so I don't remember seeing it :) .
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • BillyMailman
    BillyMailman
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely understand where you're coming from, but keep in mind we never discuss any action taken against another player's account. We can assure you that every reported post is reviewed entirely within the context, and acted on appropriately.

Then don't tell me what happened to that person's account. I couldn't care less about that account. Tell me what happened to that post, if you're willing (a post vanishing, after all, isn't exactly hidden information). If not, at least just give me a simple "Yes, that flag was helpful." vs. "No, that flag wasn't helpful.". Something to encourage those members of the community who really do want to help out, who really do want the forums to be something better than they have.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    If one has a complaint about some aspect of the game or company policy is one still allowed to bring that to the forums? Or must all dissatisfaction now be handled privately via customer service?
    You are certainly allowed to voice any disagreements or complaints, but it must be done in a constructive manner. For example, just saying "this game sucks" doesn't help anyone or foster any sort of discussion, but letting us know what you're unhappy about, what's broken, what you'd prefer to see, etc. is perfectly fine.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am guessing it will be used to keep the forums more positive for incoming players, meaning threads that point out the games/companies shortcoming will be moderated.

I do look forward to more developer/CSR feed back but I have a feeling they will continue to ignore subjects that make them uncomfortable or cast a disparaging light on game direction.

I hope this means the doors of communication will open up as it would greatly help ease a lot of tensions that exist currently.

I also hope this means they will at least try to be honest about future changes IE the B2P announcement. That was handled very poorly and this new developer/CSR heavy forum will handle such things with a little more grace and a lot more openness and honesty than before.

I also hope they will desist in treating their players like wallets and more like customers, I know ZOS is better than that and the players deserve better.

I hope this new, stricter forum policy works out for the better and not just an excuse to silence any who speak out abut problems both current and future.
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Console players may not be ready for the damage that MMO forums can do to their psyche, even with tighter moderation. :)

That said, I'm glad to see more effort will be put into developing the ESO community.
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For example, just saying "this game sucks"
    So are you seriously saying that if I post that in future that's a banable offense?

[edit]

Also, please define insulting .. suggesting a developer is totally out of touch with players, does that count?
    Edited by Kragorn on February 16, 2015 6:37PM
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kragorn wrote: »
    [
    So are you seriously saying that if I post that in future that's a banable offense?

Most likely
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What good does it do to say a game "sucks". I believe they would prefer to know why you dont like it and what can be done to fix it.
  • Aimora
    Aimora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is great thank you for implementing this.
    Aimora Gilidhren - 50 Hybrid Sorcerer
    Aimae Gilihdril - 50Templar Healer
    Aimsae Astasia - 50 Templar Tank
    Aimellie Halfpenny - 50 Nightblade spinning DPS
    Sofae Ethelbur - 50 Dragonknight Tank
    Sha'Mash 50 - Nightblade - Former Empress
    Saelenor Wilihfren 50 - Templar No. 3
    Seliene Harbingerin 50 - DK in training
    Aims For Equanimity 10 - Magicka DK

Circle of the Phoenix - Guild Mistress
    Elysium - Guild 2nd in Command
    Auridon Trading Company - Joint GM

Looking for a friendly, progress focused guild check us out at thecircleofthephoenix.gamerlaunch.com/

Check me out at Anook anook.com/aimora
  • Arki
    Arki
    ✭✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »

Nothing stops you from voicing concerns. It's called constructive critisism and is not only allowed but encouraged.

If someone hates the game so much that they cannot voice their concern without resorting to namecalling and crude generalizations I don't think the community as a whole will miss their outcries.

I for one won't miss any of the "ZOS is evil, devs suck and i quit!"-posts.

That said, if constructive posts about the state of the game are being removed, then I'd be very much against it. But then I generally tend to withhold my judgement until I can see for myself how things play out.
  • Arki
    Arki
    ✭✭✭

[edit]

Also, please define insulting .. suggesting a developer is totally out of touch with players, does that count?

I would guess only writing that one sentence would be borderline offensive, as it is in no way constructive and it's namedropping someone as incompetent.

Suggesting that something a developer said regarding some spesific skill or whatnow seem totally out of touch with players, because this and that reason should be no problem imo.

Think soccer: You have to tackle the ball not the man to avoid penalties :smile:
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We will not tolerate ... insulting language toward ... company
    Can I just check I've got this right .. insulting a corporation is now a bannable offense?

Really?

One can't say what one thinks of ZOS if it's unflattering, right?

• Mercutio
    Mercutio
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was unaware there was a problem to begin with. There's a little NerdRage now and then, but we are adults pretending to be elves and talking cats and paying for the privilege. I would think a heated debate about whether Dr. Who could beat up Captain Picard would be expected.

I have to admit to not being comfortable with this change but will take a 'wait and see' approach. As a writer who deals in satire coupled with an odd sense of humor methinks this might not bode well for yours truly.

If I do fall, I rely upon thee, my trusty @Iago , to tell the world my story.
    The problem with arguing with a jackass is that they never stop braying.
    #DwemerLife
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd like to kick off this new age of harmony by saying that mudcrabs and argonian swim speed should be nerfed and that the jester costume is p2w!
    Furthermore I believe we should sack Orsinium.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    In general, don't make it personal. You should focus on the topic, and not personally attacking other people in the thread.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a reminder.. this policy is most likely being clarified BEFORE the B2P players return, so it is clearly in place when they get back or start.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What is the proper amount of emotes required to mark the difference between irony/sarcasm and bannable offense?

Is lore-based hate still allowed? Can we still joke about orcs (pig-children), khajiits (thieves), argonians (slaves), nords (barbarians), altmers (daedra-worshippers), bretons (greedy) and bosmers (cannibals) ?
    Wololo.
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just the other day I prayed at my Houses Waiting Door... Now I see my prayers to the Ancestors are sometimes answered.
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, doing this only leads to trading harassment from players for harassment from moderators. I feel driven away from posting even more now because at least a troll can't ban me.