Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 14:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 16, 18:00 UTC (2:00PM EDT) - 20:00 UTC (4:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667442

Lore-breaking crown shop mounts?

• Mataata
    Mataata
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's very lorebreaking. It could very easily be a daedric horse from the deadlands, as it implies in the description.
    ElliottXO wrote: »
    Lore breaking? Like getting your ass whooped by mudcrabs after defeating Molag Bal?

That is actually 100% canon.
    Edited by Mataata on March 17, 2015 12:15PM
    I love the Power Glove! It's so bad!
    i also do art and stuff i guess, here's my twitter
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mataata wrote: »
    I don't think it's very lorebreaking. It could very easily be a daedric horse from the deadlands, as it implies in the description.
    Lore breaking? Like getting your ass whooped by mudcrabs after defeating Molag Bal?

That is actually 100% canon.

But we didn't get it from the dead lands. Would have been better if the purchase was a quest that rewarded the mount.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • golfer.dub17_ESO
    golfer.dub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not lore-breaking. By that logic having a million chosen ones is lore breaking.

Immersion breaking? Sure. Doesn't make sense to have a ton of flaming horses everywhere.

It still makes sense from a lore standpoint though, so shouldn't be referred to as lore-breaking.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RedTalon wrote: »
    My male orc werewolf wears a wedding dress while riding that in game, see you lore masters in-game.

Nothing lore breaking about Sheogorath touching you.
  • Dekken_Blake
    Dekken_Blake
    ✭✭✭
    Lore-breaking mount idea:

Reverse Talos Mounts. Talos rides on your shoulders wearing oven mitts, eating cottage cheese out of a martini glass.
  • Naor_Sarethi
    Naor_Sarethi
    ✭✭✭
    Lore-breaking mount idea:

Reverse Talos Mounts. Talos rides on your shoulders wearing oven mitts, eating cottage cheese out of a martini glass.

ha !

We will see a LOT more lore breaking things in the future i am sure of it.
  • seaef
    seaef
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »
    Honestly, find the regular black horse more visually appealing.

Yep, but I'm not spending 41K gold for it so flamey black horse it is...

"The Illuminati are very achievement focused. It's like Xbox - only everything is hardcore."
    - Kirsten Geary
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I WANT MY FLYING DRAGON MOUNT AND I WANT IT NOW!!!!!

seriously though, at least this fits with stuff we have seen in the series already, expect to see MUCH, MUCH worse as the game goes on.
  • seaef
    seaef
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »
    I'm not an RPer at all, but it is quite annoying seeing 20 people go by and 15 of them have a flaming horse.

I saw six male orcs this afternoon running around in wedding dresses.

No matter what you do, someone will conjure up something in-game that breaks lore.

Besides, it's just a game. Lighten up and have some fun.

Some of you are starting to sound like The Red Shirt Guy.

Edited by seaef on March 21, 2015 2:02AM
    "The Illuminati are very achievement focused. It's like Xbox - only everything is hardcore."
    - Kirsten Geary
  • ThirtySevenCoins
    ThirtySevenCoins
    ✭✭✭
    Flying Thomas the Tank Engine.
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.
  • MisterBlue
    MrGhosty wrote: »
    Don't forget Arvak, he's official "canon" so I fail to see how this sort of mount would count as lore breaking. If anyone managed to play through the main quest still believes in continuity they're simply deluding themselves. Every single player in this game is the savior of nirn, and it's the same problem that has happened in many MMOs. In their attempt to keep the game as Elder Scrolls as possible they gave us a ridiculous set of circumstances which if you take the time to think it all out is incredibly immersion breaking.

I remember when dyes were announced "everyone" was up in arms because they didn't want to see someone running around in bright pink armor because it would ruin the game for them. Yet everything seems fine, the more options they have out there for mounts means the greater variety we see, and if we're all Molag Bal slayers I'm pretty sure we could take the time to train a senche mount, find a rare flaming horse, or whatever fun silly options they provide for us. If this is such a problem, I would recommend going back to the single player games where you have full control over your environment.

Personally I would love to see a mount like this or a ridable dwemer construct, etc. Your immersion in a game is only as unbroken as you make it, the roleplayers don't let the random people around them spoil a good scene and I certainly don't feel my immersion in the game can be broken by something strange that happens across my path. I don't personally want to see stuff like super skimpy outfits or what have you either but the precedent is there in both traditional ES and the mmo ( aela in Skyrim, Almalexia in ESO) so as long as they stick to the core of the idea and people want that stuff I say more power to them.

Money made in the cash shop will keep the game alive, and if you think seeing a flaming horse will break your immersion just wait until you can't even "inhabit" your character because they shut down the game.

I logged in just to say "I love you".

Or more accurately, thank you for this lovely injection of sense, reason, logic, and aptly applied standards.

Were this twitter, and twitter only TESO related, I'd be retweeting the heck out of this.
  • Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PKMN12 wrote: »
    I WANT MY FLYING DRAGON MOUNT AND I WANT IT NOW!!!!!

seriously though, at least this fits with stuff we have seen in the series already, expect to see MUCH, MUCH worse as the game goes on.

Hi I'm Puma!
    Caius
    Pack Leader of Scourge Alliance- First Fang of Hircine, The Beast of Bruma
    PC NA
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not an RPer at all, but it is quite annoying seeing 20 people go by and 15 of them have a flaming horse.

No matter what you do, someone will conjure up something in-game that breaks lore.

uhm... They listed to the red-shirt guy in the end. AND they put him in the game.

wildhammerfactchecker.jpg

So yea... you may be trying to insult and belittle those of us that enjoy and respect the lore but you've just pointed out how ZOS is ignoring the community input on these sorts of things and how other companies respect and listen to their players.

Oh... but regards to the Orcs in dresses... I don't consider that lore-breaking at all. In Tamriel there are Orcs... and there are dresses... there are bound to be an Orc or two that fancies a gown.

Edited by Gidorick on March 21, 2015 2:32PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• ZeroInspiration
    ZeroInspiration
    ✭✭✭
    Zeni can make almost anything they want as a mount and it won't be lore breaking, and anyone who says so probably only has a superficial understanding of ESO lore. Otherwise they'd know that the series lore is extremely flexible, things like Dragon Breaks, CHIM, Kalpas etc allow for the lore to mold according to gameplay and features instead of the other way around. The only possibly lore breaking mount would be dragons, but they could use dragonlings since they are usually regarded as a different creature from dragons (no inmortality, intelligence or a direct connection to Akatosh). I for one hope they come up with more interesting mounts.

Also can we talk for a moment of why there aren't cliffracers or adoring fans in the pet store?
  • Naivefanboi
    Naivefanboi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    This game is now BUY to play and they need money from the cash shop, so we will see a new horse or two almost every month. Its what the game has become. I would not be surprised if we see a robot horse and a spider mount within 6 months.
    69e0e52309169700844c41ef09040cc21359092922.jpg

dude that spider looks awesome! id soo ride that! wooot b2p! :)
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chelos wrote: »
    Thinking about how many people I actually see riding in and hour or two gaming, that'll probably be one or two a day. That I can easily ignore.
    Besides, ZOS needs stuff in the shop that generates money otherwise the game will be shut down eventually.
    With this choce I'd rather see some Ghost Riders in the game than not being able to play any more.

Well I do agree with your last point. The company has to find a way to survive, and that's just not going to go away.

However I see a LOT of people riding. Last night in Shadowfen, while on long enough to do a writ (not long, overall) I saw about 6 senche tiger mounts (enough to start to be disturbing my immersion). This morning, oddly, it was horses - about 4-5 of them. Again, neither horses nor senche seem appropriate for that terrain.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • seaef
    seaef
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »

Oh... but regards to the Orcs in dresses... I don't consider that lore-breaking at all. In Tamriel there are Orcs... and there are dresses... there are bound to be an Orc or two that fancies a gown.

Um, sure. Cross-dressing orcs. So much less lore-breaking than a horse with flaming feet. *boggle*

- Kirsten Geary
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bridesmaids.
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How the heck is that lore breaking? OMG it must be the end of the world! How will the game recover from this?! it's not like there has been magical horses in the Elder Scrolls series before!......o wait.....There is.....

I could write a book on how ridiculous your statement is. So because a previous game didn't have a horse with flaming hooves that YOU know of it's lore breaking? Jesus Christ.....I've come realize it isn't ZoS breaking the game it's the players......
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • FreedomDude
    FreedomDude
    ✭✭✭
    This is Arvak from Skyrim:

Arvak.jpg

That flaming horse seems fine to me, I can't see how you think it is "lore breaking".
  • Raash
    Raash
    ✭✭✭✭
    Olysja wrote: »
    it's b2p, as i said already ''yesterday night you had to say farewell to lore and medieval art, commercial items incoming'' , pure white true black flaming things iced weaps, all are welcome in a f2p game, noone will buy a 10euro black and white horse hahaha : ) i bought this nightmare anyway with my old subs rewards !!! and i'll buy the frost soul spectral tiger aswell for 100 euro if it comes out!!!!!!!

Indeed, now with b2p and cash shop the step to flying mounts are much shorter. they will come sooner or later, im sure!
    on a more lore friendly note tho, how come camels are not used for mounts in this game? I would choose a camel or a giant boar mount over just about anything really. i would even bury the idea of flying mounts for one of them.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raash wrote: »
    Olysja wrote: »
    it's b2p, as i said already ''yesterday night you had to say farewell to lore and medieval art, commercial items incoming'' , pure white true black flaming things iced weaps, all are welcome in a f2p game, noone will buy a 10euro black and white horse hahaha : ) i bought this nightmare anyway with my old subs rewards !!! and i'll buy the frost soul spectral tiger aswell for 100 euro if it comes out!!!!!!!

Indeed, now with b2p and cash shop the step to flying mounts are much shorter. they will come sooner or later, im sure!
    on a more lore friendly note tho, how come camels are not used for mounts in this game? I would choose a camel or a giant boar mount over just about anything really. i would even bury the idea of flying mounts for one of them.

For me, the real problem is that ZOS isn't even TRYING to be creative with their solutions to these problems. Instead of a flaming nightmare horse, why not sell something like... a stone that provides players with a power that turns their CURRENT horse into a flaming horse... have it last for 30 minutes and a 2 hour cooldown. That way players don't have a fire horse but have instead infused magic into their horse. The same can be said for the Drauger Polymorph.

OR have both of those items come with quests that REQUIRE you to have a fire horse (run across a lake of lava...) or be a Drauger (be a 'spy' to take down a powerful necromancer). That way there's a REASON you have these things.

By just selling these mounts and morphs outright, ZOS has shown us the direction ESO is going. While it's not too late for ZOS to shift how they're doing things, they wont. It's much cheaper to just outright sell things than to give them a meaningful implementation.
    Edited by Gidorick on March 22, 2015 10:23PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• ArconSeptim
    ArconSeptim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Remember this comment, they will implement Deadra Artefacts over Crown Store or Deadric Powers, those "items" will be limited time type of items so nobody can have them forever or something like that. I think it will happen till the end of the year!
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each time I see a flaming mount is another opportunity to use /bucketsplash :) Can't bring myself to ride one because it looks too much like my shadowknight AA mount in EQ. People seem to be enjoying them thogh, and I am enjoying having more people around. So, as far as I'm concerned, ZOS can keep the crowd pleasers coming *shrug*
  • theweakminded
    theweakminded
    ✭✭✭
    k9mouse wrote: »
    Bleakraven wrote: »
    So, after seeing this:
    sSx2GQE.jpg
    I'm left wondering... how much more are they going to push "fancy" and "unique" crown shop items until they break the lore? Yes, we know there's Shadowmere, but everyone is going to go around in a flaming horse now.
    No class, skill or race restrictions. Horses are probably going to be the rarest mounts.

Probably many of you think this is cool, but I find it very disturbing. And yes, from a roleplay point of view, it is highly immersion-breaking. And yes, it's just my personal opinion.

What do you guys think? Do you agree with the unique mounts in the cash shop? Will you be drawing the line at some point (e.g. rideable mudcrab? rideable pink guar with sparkles and flame trails?) Do you find it disturbing at all to see mounts like these or non-khajiit riding senches? Share your opinion. :)

I feel the same way, I HATE RIFT for breaking their lore with stupid mounts for their store. I will HATE ESO much much much much much much much much much much much much MORE, if they do the SAME STUPID LORE BREAKING. I WILL LEAVE ESO IF THEY START TO BREAK LORE!

Its funny...cuz you think you decide what is canon.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember this comment, they will implement Deadra Artefacts over Crown Store or Deadric Powers, those "items" will be limited time type of items so nobody can have them forever or something like that. I think it will happen till the end of the year!

This sounds terrible... but totally sounds like something that would be done.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't find the Mare so lore-breaking, even with the fire things.

GV-Arvak-Horse.jpg

I was riding this one in Skyrim Dawnguard :)

That's not a daedric horse, that's Arvak, a once-mortal horse made undead horse in the Soul Cairn. Yes, he's cooler than Shadowmere by leaps and bounds, in large part because he really can't die.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • FreedomDude
    FreedomDude
    ✭✭✭
    I don't find the Mare so lore-breaking, even with the fire things.

GV-Arvak-Horse.jpg

I was riding this one in Skyrim Dawnguard :)

That's not a daedric horse, that's Arvak, a once-mortal horse made undead horse in the Soul Cairn. Yes, he's cooler than Shadowmere by leaps and bounds, in large part because he really can't die.

Also you could summon him which by far made him the most convenient horse in the game. :smiley:
  • Uviryth
    Uviryth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question:

In a world where magic can pretty much do anything (summon whatever you want from wherever you want / Fly / Levitate / travel in time / travel into alternate realities / bend elements / bend space / ignore the laws of physics / build giant machinery etc...) is there actually anything considered lorebreaking?
  • azoriangaming
    azoriangaming
    ✭✭✭✭

@ElliotXO this nearly made me wet myself haha claps