Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 14:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 16, 18:00 UTC (2:00PM EDT) - 20:00 UTC (4:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667442

Lore-breaking crown shop mounts?

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uviryth wrote: »
    Question:

In a world where magic can pretty much do anything (summon whatever you want from wherever you want / Fly / Levitate / travel in time / travel into alternate realities / bend elements / bend space / ignore the laws of physics / build giant machinery etc...) is there actually anything considered lorebreaking?

No... anything can be justified. It would be nice to have that justification.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Snowstrider
    Snowstrider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh please,alot of players including me is so happy that they are finallty done with the old dull horse thing,There is lots of crazy mounts in TES Lore,Maybe not so overkill stuff like in other game worlds but there is still alot of stuff to add if they feel like it.

In a world of magic and all sorts of crazy stuff this is by no means lore breaking,If you are picky with the lore so much things could be considered lore breaking,Like why all people in the world have exactly the same mounts? isnt that kinda weird?

Its an mmo :) calm down.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I for one, was delighted to find the nightmare available. My main guy, Basil Ieya-Sil, has ridden his nightmare since Morrowind, through Oblivion and into Skyrim. I was the one who modded them into those games and they were highly popular too. In my various fictions involving this character, I described the nightmares as daedric in origin, and used by dremora as mounts.

Basil is thrilled to have his old friend back.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uviryth wrote: »
    Question:

In a world where magic can pretty much do anything (summon whatever you want from wherever you want / Fly / Levitate / travel in time / travel into alternate realities / bend elements / bend space / ignore the laws of physics / build giant machinery etc...) is there actually anything considered lorebreaking?

There's some mods for the single player games that probably step outside the lore a bit too much. Then again, stuff like the Magna-Ge mod for Skyrim are technically lore friendly. And The Elder Scrolls gets weird as shank when you start getting out into the more metaphysical elements. So, yes there is stuff that's lorebreaking. Sticking a motercycle in the cash shop would probably do it. But, you have to work pretty hard to get there.
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't find the Mare so lore-breaking, even with the fire things.

GV-Arvak-Horse.jpg

I was riding this one in Skyrim Dawnguard :)

That's not a daedric horse, that's Arvak, a once-mortal horse made undead horse in the Soul Cairn. Yes, he's cooler than Shadowmere by leaps and bounds, in large part because he really can't die.

Also you could summon him which by far made him the most convenient horse in the game. :smiley:

How many crowns for this one ?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roechacca wrote: »
    I don't find the Mare so lore-breaking, even with the fire things.

GV-Arvak-Horse.jpg

I was riding this one in Skyrim Dawnguard :)

That's not a daedric horse, that's Arvak, a once-mortal horse made undead horse in the Soul Cairn. Yes, he's cooler than Shadowmere by leaps and bounds, in large part because he really can't die.

Also you could summon him which by far made him the most convenient horse in the game. :smiley:

How many crowns for this one ?

Well, he's part of a $20 pack. :p
  • WhimsyDragon
    WhimsyDragon
    ✭✭✭
    Comparatively to the other horses, the one on fire does seem a tad out of place, but not completely crazy in a world full of magic and strange creatures. Plus the coloration isn't crazy, so it doesn't really bother me -- though when there are pink pegasus unicorns with rainbows trailing behind them, I'll be a little worried.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adoryn wrote: »
    Comparatively to the other horses, the one on fire does seem a tad out of place, but not completely crazy in a world full of magic and strange creatures. Plus the coloration isn't crazy, so it doesn't really bother me -- though when there are pink pegasus unicorns with rainbows trailing behind them, I'll be a little worried.

Wait are we talking about the Nightmare or Arvak... I think I've honestly lost track of this conversation.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh please,alot of players including me is so happy that they are finallty done with the old dull horse thing,There is lots of crazy mounts in TES Lore,Maybe not so overkill stuff like in other game worlds but there is still alot of stuff to add if they feel like it.

In a world of magic and all sorts of crazy stuff this is by no means lore breaking,If you are picky with the lore so much things could be considered lore breaking,Like why all people in the world have exactly the same mounts? isnt that kinda weird?

Its an mmo :) calm down.

Different kinds of horses aren't the same mounts....
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay lets have some lore-specific mounts:

Wamasu after being in the swamps/fens (EP)

Giant snake after fighting maomer (AD)

Mammoth after Windhelm - no wait -thats EP again.... I can't think of a good DC one
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »

Mammoth after Windhelm - no wait -thats EP again.... I can't think of a good DC one

You're being sarcastic right?
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Raash
    Raash
    ✭✭✭✭
    I kind of like the new mounts, especially the nightmare since it really opens up for more fantastic mounts. Hopefully they will introduce more of the kind like unicorns, warebears, dremoras and hopefully flying mounts of different kinds. Dragons would be possible to bring into the game aswell! Not to mention magic gear like flying boots or simple levitation spells and what not, that would be cool aswell =)

And zenimax, please add ridable camels and boars - i would take any of those over all others. Ever.
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lore and storyline are the most important things to me in keeping me interested in playing a game.

But when it comes to MMO's I don't factor in what other players do, look like, say, etc, to my enjoyment of the game's immersion because that would be like sticking your hand in a sea of slaughterfish hoping for them to not bite it off. Every MMO - every game in general - is going to have tons of people who don't care a bit about the lore or story, so factoring other players in, considering that the majority could be those types of people, is only ever going to end badly for immersion.

So, I just don't. A Khajiit could dance on top of a statue of Ysgramor in the middle of Skyrim for the Ebonheart pact on the back of a flaming Guar juggling the severed heads of Companion members, in their underwear, spouting out how great Tiber Septim is when he hasn't been born yet, with no Pact NPC batting an eye, and as far as I'm concerned that wouldn't hurt my immersion a bit - because it's another player, and players do silly things if they feel like it. They're going to break the lore as much as they want with or without knowing they're doing it, and by all means they can go right ahead.

I'll sit back and read my books in peace, paying attention to every bit of dialogue in quests, staying in character and researching interesting pieces of Tamriel's history to expand my knowledge of the world, and no amount of flaming horses or Argonians riding Senches with names consisting entirely of numbers is going to change that for me.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had requested:
    newtinmpls wrote: »

And was asked:
    Gidorick wrote: »
    You're being sarcastic right?

No, really I'm not. In Morrowind there was a whole section of lore on how mammals did not do well on Vvardenfell (anyone recall how sickly the rats were?). Add to that the .. extreme unlikeliness of riding a horse in say, a swamp (Shadowfen, anyone?) and it's pretty clear that an EP character riding a horse is ... well just not really in the lore.

I think there are great possibilities within the lore, but I also think that the only "stables" that sell actual horses should be ... oh maybe in Auridon. If you are buying a mount in the desert (sp?) it should be a camel. Or something.

Same goes for pets.

But that's just me.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis