The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templar Update

• ARtChi
    ARtChi
    ✭✭✭
    [HS]Switching your stuff and skills is a convenience, not a gameplay issue.
    I'm not found of addons either, but this feature, as you mentionned, is definetly missing in ESO. It saves precious time ;) [/HS]
    Edited by ARtChi on June 24, 2014 10:31AM
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mortosk wrote: »
    Sun Shield (323 Magicka)
    Blinding Light (404 Magicka)
    Eclipse (457 Magicka)
    Backlash (189 Magicka)

I will add Javeling almost 400 magicka.

I agree with you.

The issues with the Templars spells is straight forward and many who havent looked at the numbers in beta phases, they are just scratching their heads why their Templar on "live" sucks to much compared to beta.

Our spells were cheaper in beta initially.

Then their costs were doubled and tripled, to mitigate the Ritual passive we had that returned 2% of our max magicka back, every time we cast a spell.

This passive was deemed OP. And few days before release was removed.

However the high costs of our spells remained. That is why we need 400 magicka to cast a spell similar to the one a Sorcer or a DK which cost them less than half.

I remember the days in Heavy and medium armour, spamming spells all the time and never run out of magicka while I was level than level 20 with barely any knowledge on soft carps and buffs.

I would live with all the others issues we have. Seriously any shortcomings the Templar has, if they give us the ability with the Eclipse to shut down AoE.

Because

a) we will not need to spam ritual to remove CC (magicka saved)
    b) we will not need to spam breath of life as much to quickly heal the CC removed on the previous spell (magicka saved)
    c) We can use weapon and stamina to do damage, not try to outdamage the enemy with more magicka consumption.

That only ability, will make our class the proper "Templar" paladin/warden you name it type.
    It will give us high value both in PvE and PVP, and it will make all melee players happier (not only templars), while at the same time it will make the Destro staff 1 button hit monkeys to either adapt and L2P, or die quickly by their own doing.

• ARtChi
    ARtChi
    ✭✭✭
    For me : Blazing shield is 202, blinding light is 266, Eclypse is 305, Backlash : 112, Blinding jalevin is : 266... and I could go lower than that.

Of course you will complain because it costs more in heavy armor, but isn't it normal to have a better magika management when you are in light armor ?
    (actually, light armor is too strong because it provides you the most important resist in the game, which is magika resist and not enough on heavy armor, but it's not a templar problem, it's global. Give 20% mitigation on all damage received when wearing 5 pieces of heavy armor, you will see many people going back to its real purpose : tanking)

So yeah, let's lower all templar skill cost so we can spam them, it will help the game balance... Really ?

Again lack of big picture here... You fail to see that problem is magika regeneration in PvE situation. It's not in pvp, and not a problem of magika cost of spells either
    Edited by ARtChi on June 24, 2014 11:26AM
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ARtChi wrote: »
    For me : Blazing shield is 202, blinding light is 266, Eclypse is 305, Backlash : 112, Blinding jalevin is : 266... and I could go lower than that.

Of course you will complain because it costs more in heavy armor, but isn't it normal to have a better magika management when you are in light armor ?
    (actually, light armor is too strong because it provides you the most important resist in the game, which is magika resist and not enough on heavy armor, but it's not a templar problem, it's global)

So yeah, let's lower all templar skill cost so we can spam them, it will help the game balance... Really ?

Again lack of big picture here... You fail to see that problem is magika regeneration in PvE situation and not magika cost of spells

Look, for me the costs aren't that high either in 5 MA/ 2LA with cap on Magicka regen.

But they are not as powerful as the DK & SC ones, while costing more than double.
  • ARtChi
    ARtChi
    ✭✭✭
    Look, for me the costs aren't that high either in 5 MA/ 2LA with cap on Magicka regen.

But they are not as powerful as the DK & SC ones, while costing more than double.

Problem is not how much cost of other classes skills but to know if templar is on par with others when it comes to fullfil a role in the game.

Templar in medium armor with 2H is one of the strongest duelist in the game atm. You know as well as I do that you can just stun lock people to death.
    Adding critical strike to aedric skill line will make it even stronger in the near future. But as any class in medium armor, it will just pigeon hole you in an assassin role.

Except for full heavy armor build (which again is not a templar issue but an heavy armor design problem because it doesn't tank enough compared to light armor), There are awsome builds as a templar to be fine in any PvP situation as healer, aoe dps, assassin or tank.

When it comes to PvE, we all know that medium armor is crap, again not a templar problem but of stamina mangement with a lack of dps sustainability.

The only real problem of templar class is lack of mono dps spec in PvE situation and lack of magika sustainability in long run fights for both healing or dps. Other wise, templar is really strong.

• Drake81
    Drake81
    ✭✭✭
    Just a view thoughts added to the others.

- Backslash:
    - - Tooltip: Info about the max. amount of damage who can be stored
    - - Casttime: Please make it an Instant dot
    - - Activation: When reached the max amount of damage, or a recast, activate the ability to do the damage.

- Solar Flare:
    -- Side Note: Reducing the time to cast by 0.2sec. is nonsense and dosnt have much of an impact!
    -- Instead of a time reduction by 13% (0.2s) - increase the damage by 13%

Well i cant say much more what others havnt sayed, just this:
    This is a small part of our ongoing class and skill line efforts, and there will be more to come.

I realy hope so.

Drake
    Edited by Drake81 on June 24, 2014 1:16PM
  • Paladin_echo1
    Paladin_echo1
    ✭✭✭
    Templar MP recovery and mp sustainment is the most terrible part of the class. Its as if people don't want Templar to use any of its skills because of how much mp they don't get... Ran out of mp and had to wait about an entire minute for it to recover before the next mob... If stamina wasn't so bad I would be using that instead of magic because at least you can absorb stamina with repentance... It be nice if they added magic recovery to Repentance though! That actually sounds pretty reasonable.
    Edited by Paladin_echo1 on June 24, 2014 3:02PM
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem is not how much cost of other classes skills but to know if templar is on par with others when it comes to fullfil a role in the game.

Templar in medium armor with 2H is one of the strongest duelist in the game atm. You know as well as I do that you can just stun lock people to death.
    Adding critical strike to aedric skill line will make it even stronger in the near future. But as any class in medium armor, it will just pigeon hole you in an assassin role.

Except for full heavy armor build (which again is not a templar issue but an heavy armor design problem because it doesn't tank enough compared to light armor), There are awsome builds as a templar to be fine in any PvP situation as healer, aoe dps, assassin or tank.

When it comes to PvE, we all know that medium armor is crap, again not a templar problem but of stamina mangement with a lack of dps sustainability.

The only real problem of templar class is lack of mono dps spec in PvE situation and lack of magika sustainability in long run fights for both healing or dps. Other wise, templar is really strong.

I agree. However when I play the assassin role, the follow up from my opening hit, is always the Executioner because it does actually finishes off the opponent. (in PvP also)

Hardly any Templar abilities involved. Maybe the Balanced Warrior one :blush:
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭

(actually, light armor is too strong because it provides you the most important resist in the game, which is magika resist and not enough on heavy armor, but it's not a templar problem, it's global. Give 20% mitigation on all damage received when wearing 5 pieces of heavy armor, you will see many people going back to its real purpose : tanking)

Again lack of big picture here... You fail to see that problem is magika regeneration in PvE situation. It's not in pvp, and not a problem of magika cost of spells either

That was their actual unreduced by bonuses cost. I only wear 2 light armor because I was silly and wanted to play a melee dps in the wrong game.

"Now I stand, the lion before the lambs and they do not fear. They can not fear." --Arthas Menethil (aka, The Lich King)
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Drake81 wrote: »
    Just a view thoughts added to the others.

- Backslash:
    - - Tooltip: Info about the max. amount of damage who can be stored
    - - Casttime: Please make it an Instant dot
    - - Activation: When reached the max amount of damage, or a recast, activate the ability to do the damage.

- Solar Flare:
    -- Side Note: Reducing the time to cast by 0.2sec. is nonsense and dosnt have much of an impact!
    -- Instead of a time reduction by 13% (0.2s) - increase the damage by 13%

Well i cant say much more what others havnt sayed, just this:
    This is a small part of our ongoing class and skill line efforts, and there will be more to come.

I realy hope so.

Drake

Solar barrage is an exceptionally weak morph. Even more so now. The cast time is already instant so it received no buff. Remove the stupid GCD for starters. Make it do more damage or add a dot or something. Maybe allow it to buff itself?
    "Now I stand, the lion before the lambs and they do not fear. They can not fear." --Arthas Menethil (aka, The Lich King)
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solar barrage is really good and very underrated.

Is cheap, instant, does 250 damage AoE, more if you are magicka spec, ads 60 Power (weapon/spell) on the next hit to be received by affected from the AoE.

Can spam cast and barely notice the magicka. Very very good in Cyrodiil when your team is trying to cast AoE.

To give you a perspective. 60 power is 30% base damage bonus if you are V8. Add all passives, crit damage, damage bonuses, and gets insane.

• Shaggygaming
    Shaggygaming
    ✭✭✭

Is cheap, instant, does 250 damage AoE, more if you are magicka spec, ads 60 Power (weapon/spell) on the next hit to be received by affected from the AoE.

Can spam cast and barely notice the magicka. Very very good in Cyrodiil when your team is trying to cast AoE.

To give you a perspective. 60 power is 30% base damage bonus if you are V8. Add all passives, crit damage, damage bonuses, and gets insane.

There's a delay on solar barrage which makes it difficult to use sometimes.
  • madangrypally
    madangrypally
    ✭✭✭✭

Make the power last for 2 seconds instead of next attack and it would be a nice ability to use. Until they change that ability ill stick to something else.
  • Bullgar
    Bullgar
    ✭✭
    Adonikam wrote: »
    Do any Templars use restoring light class skills in PVP except for Breath Of Life? Just curious..I don't. I only need Breath of Life and a couple Restoration skills.

That's exactly what I use. Every now and then, I use Cleansing Ritual to remove effects. Otherwise, and I'm rather new to PVP, I just use Breath of Life and 2 Resto Staff skills.
    Bullgar, Orc Templar - DC
    Boglar, Imperial Templar - DC
    Paja Blackmane, Khajit NB - DC
    Bullgara, High Elf DK - DC
    Bull-gar, High Elf Warden - DC
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭

But spam casting it is wasteful as it does not buff itself. And there is a noticeable GCD if you try doing that.
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭

Make the power last for 2 seconds instead of next attack and it would be a nice ability to use. Until they change that ability ill stick to something else.

I totally agree, and actually suggested this in another post. Can't even use this ability with biting jabs because it only effects the first jab.

It should be a timed buff that lasts a few seconds. 6 seconds seems to be a popular theme with Templar skills. In this case it would work.
  • Fuxo
    Fuxo
    ✭✭✭✭
    That would be a bit too much as it applies to all attackers. Maybe give bonus to 1 weapon attack and 1 spell attack within 2 seconds.

Anyway, in its current state it is a very weak morph since it does not work with channeled abilities and the bonus is usually wasted on a weaved weapon attack and is actually halved, since damage bonus from weapon power = bonus from spell power / 2.
  • bruceb14_ESO5
    bruceb14_ESO5
    ✭✭✭
    My VR12 Templar is my main, former emperor and all trials completed as DPS/Tank.

The state of Templars before 1.2 was that they were good healers, bottom-tier DPS for single target as well as for AoE, lackluster tanks due to no %based damage mitigation and mid tier for solo play. All roles were very much effected by poor sustain and bad ultimates (except for Remembrance for PvE). My tank build and all of my PvP builds were usually only using 1 or 2 Templar skills including the ultimate while almost everyone else is running 4 to 5 class skills in PvP. That really goes to show the state of Templars before 1.2.

Here is what I think of the current Templar skills with regards to the announces changes:

Empowering Sweep: The change to make it %damage mitigation instead of Armor is an amazing improvement to Templar tanking, now possibly the best tank for many encounters. It's also a improvement to solo-leveling in veteran content and to melee based PvP Templars.

Crescent Sweep: This ability is only useful for PvE AoE clearing and even than it's questionable. I think it's missing an added utility side effect like increasing the chance for Burning Light procs for 8seconds by 15% or something to that effect (crit, movement speed, etc.).

Biting Jabs & Puncturing Sweep: I'm shocked that the Piercing Spear passive wasn't improving weapon critical strike for this ability. With that out of the way and the damage increase Biting Jabs is very powerful, maybe too powerful. The best Templar DPS rotation should definitely not evolve around simply using one single ability over and over. The perfect spot for this ability would be that it deals slightly less DPS out of execute range than other DPS options. Puncturing Sweep after the change is a powerful morph for solo play and PvP, again, maybe even too powerful.

Aurora Javelin & Binding Javelin: An obvious example of a PvE and a PvP morph. Binding Javelin is in a good spot, it's powerful but easy to block/dodge and very high mana cost. Aurora Javelin on the other hand doesn't deal enough damage for it's mana cost and it has no synergy with Burning Light since there is only one damage tick per activation. It really feels out of place in the Aedric Spear tree. I would change it so that it reads "Inreased damage and chance to proc Burning Light when the player is a greater distance from the target, by up to 40%".

Explosive Charge & Toppling Charge: Toppling Charge is in a good place. Explosive Charge doesn't really fill it's purpose very well though. If it had a 5m radius knockback around the impact point or a temporary offensive buff to the Templar for 4seconds or something it would be much more interesting. Either way both of these are bugging out way too much even on pretty open terrain.
    Explosive Charge is also missing it's radius in the tooltip.

Luminous Shards & Blazing Spear: Both of these abilities would be amazing if it wasn't for the horrible animation. Not visually but practically it's almost unusable. It needs to be sped up or changed completely. Otherwise this is a great ability with two interesting morphs. The only problem is that the pulses of Blazing Spear are generating 0 ultimate when they don't crit. Templars options to generate ultimate are already lacking as it is.
    The tooltip is missing the radius.

Radiant Ward & Blazing Shield: This looks good at first but there is rarely much reason to use it. No mitigation applies to damage shields and you can get an instant heal for a similar amount that in the end is much cheaper on your magicka since you are missing out on ~90 magicka per second with this shield up. Blazing Shield does have it's uses for stamina builds and builds that use it in combination with Harness Magicka and a group setup with many damage shields. For Radiant Ward the damage is laughable, the tooltip is unclear and doesn't state the radius. The numbers need to be tweaked on this or better yet it gets completely reworked.

Aedric Spear passive abilities: All of these are well tuned.

Aedric Spear summery: This skill tree is one of the best in the game. The passive abilities provide synergies with some of the skills which is great but could be improved on some occasions. Some of the morphs are not very interesting but overall the holy warrior style is cool and memorable.

Solar Prison & Solar Disturbance: This ability might be in a good spot with the upcoming changes. Previously the ultimate cost was too high for what it provided but I'm glad that instead of downwashing the classes and making all the similar ultimates 200/250 Templars are getting a ultimate that's extra expensive and hopefully with these changes also extra powerful.
    However it won't ever matter what the numbers on this ultimate are until the following glaring issues get fixed!!!
    1. You have to click multiple times to get the Nova to spawn. When playing solo you might get Nova to spawn with the first click if you're in luck but if the screen is cluttered with other players I have to spam my left click up to 6 times before the cast will finally follow through. The unresponsiveness of the Nova cast is an absolute NIGHTMARE.
    2. If you somehow manage to get Nova out and it's lagging too much don't be surprised to find that all your ultimate is gone but Nova never even spawned!! There can be multiple causes for this. If you get CCed with a bad timing it can happen, but also many times when there is nothing even close to you but it's simply lagging too much. It doesn't help that with too many ability effects on the screen the animation for Nova isn't showing so you won't even know if it never spawned or simply isn't showing.
    Both of these issues have traumatized me and held me back from ever running Nova as my main ultimate in PvP.
    Also, the tooltip is missing the radius.

Vampires Bane & Reflective Light: This ability has been slightly too low on it's damage per activation before but now it should be in the perfect spot. The tooltip is not very well worded/unclear. It would be better to state the damage per tick instead of the overall damage. Because if you increase the duration of the ability with Enduring Rays it leads you to think that the overall damage stays the same and the damage per tick actually goes down.

Dark Flare & Solar Barrage: Dark Flare has also been slightly under-performing and should be in a great spot after the changes. Solar Barrage has a problem with it's internal cooldown or animation. When you are spamming this ability there are sometimes very noticeable delays between casts that are much longer than usual.
    Both of these abilities have weird interactions with some types of abilities. For example AoE effects like Blazing Spear are getting no bonus from this ability and Puncturing Strikes only gets increased damage for the first of the 4 consecutive hits. Overall it's quite inconsistent and performs worse than expected with many ability combinations.

Purifying Light & Power of the Light: This ability is a mess. While it's overall a great ability the inner workings of it are overly complicated.
    1. Damage cap. It's not mentioned in the tooltip. It seems to scale with Spell Power. It seems to be able to crit but not higher than the cap. The problem is also with increased duration from Enduring Rays. If it only increases the duration but not the cap than it would lead to a damage per second decrease. Unless there is a damage cap per second?
    2. Unintentional stacking. Not going to go into this as it's super weird anyway.
    Purifying Light is a bit weak and would make more sense to heal based on the damage stored. It's also missing the radius in the tooltip.

Total Dark & Unstable Core: Not a big fan of this ability. To some people it has no effect and to others it counters out their complete build. It can be CC broken but most people don't know about it and it doesn't make sense either to be honest. Also, both morphs don't really add much to the ability.

Searing Light & Blinding Flashes: Searing Light suffers from the same issue as other morphs of abilities that only add some damage to it (Radiant Ward, Unstable Core): The damage is laughable. It seems similar to DKs that have a damage over time morph for every other ability except that it's not similar at all. DKs have long-duration damage over time AoE abilities. They generate a ton of ultimate, are resource efficient and have great damage per execute time. For the Templar it's just an awkward small damage bonus that doesn't really help with anything. Blinding Flashes is alright now with the upcoming changes but in the end both of these morphs really need an increased radius.

Dawn's Wrath passive abilities: As I already pointed out it's not clear if Enduring Rays is really a positive thing in combination with Sun Fire and Backlash. Illuminate is an interesting passive that has great synergy with all abilities in this tree. Sadly soft-caps render this great-on-paper passive quite useless. Prism should be 2/4 and Restoring Spirit 4/8. Nuff said.

Dawn's Wrath summery: This tree provides some good DPS and utility options. Sun Fire and Dark Flare are in a good place, there are some unclear mechanics and responsiveness problems but the most glaring issue is that Restoring Spirit is not strong enough to fix our sustain.

Restoring Light: This tree is great, maybe even too good, so I won't spend the time to write about every morph separately and just mention the few problems that still remain.
    1. Practiced Incantation needs to be buffed or reworked.
    2. Honor the Dead is still bugged as far as I know. This is a big problem.
    3. The internal coefficient for Healing Ritual is too low. Rushed Ceremony simply outperforms this ability at high Magicka & Spell Damage.
    4. Channeled Focus Magicka recovery needs to be buffed or reworked. Rune Focus and morphs are missing the radius in the tooltip.
    5. Light Weaver should give at least 2/4 ultimate.
    6. Mending & Focused Healing might be too powerful. Although I would prefer a buff to other classes healing capabilities instead of a nerf to these passives.

Thank you for your attention towards Templars and please remember that class design is not simply about a class being too strong or weak but about synergy, interesting choices and a fun playstyle.
    @spliffmaster2b16_ESO, sorry for quoting perhaps too much in a long thread, but this was very well thought out and helpful.

Note, 1) Dark Flare if only boosting first of the 4 small jabs in Puncturing Strikes sounds like it is an unintended development mistake.
    2) Nova is a PAIN to get off. I've died more than once because of being inept at activating this skill. I just figured it was me.
    3) Agreed regarding needing better Ultimate regeneration while healing. Resto staff skills seem to be much better.
    4) Agreed regarding HIGH magicka/ultimate costs of skills.
    I'm pointing out some deficiencies but at the same time happy with my Templar and would not want us to go over the balance edge and be the spotlight op class. We have a ton of choice and are a strong class, or weak depending on how we play it.
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fuxo wrote: »
    That would be a bit too much as it applies to all attackers. Maybe give bonus to 1 weapon attack and 1 spell attack within 2 seconds.

Anyway, in its current state it is a very weak morph since it does not work with channeled abilities and the bonus is usually wasted on a weaved weapon attack and is actually halved, since damage bonus from weapon power = bonus from spell power / 2.

But "weaved" weapon attack is actually 2-3 attacks hitting once, because of the exploitation due to the cancellation of the actual attack "graphic cooldown".
    Edited by p_tsakirisb16_ESO on June 25, 2014 5:48PM
  • Fuxo
    Fuxo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't talking about exploitation. That will be probably fixed sooner or later. Using light attacks is a normal combat flow. No templar has enough magicka to use abilities only. And that +50 weapon powers translates to +20 weapon damage, which is not worth it. I can just use Blazing Spear instead of Solar Barrage and get that +20 damage from Blazing Spear Pulse. Solar Barrage is one of those abilities that look better on paper.
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends if you are on power cap, and how much you will lose due to diminishing returns.

Compare the two screenshots (I used them for the Hunding rage test).

With V6 blue weapon against the same type of bear. (veteran one of course).

damages_zpsbfdecd05.png[/URL]

With Hunding Rage on, Solar Barrage Power bonus is 44.
    (I am close to the damage cap here)

Without Hunding Rage on, Solar Barrage Power bonus is 62.

Tooltip was 62 on that instance at that time.
    Edited by p_tsakirisb16_ESO on June 25, 2014 7:43PM
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has there ever been any clarification on whether Enduring Rays lowers the DPS of Sun Fire? The tooltip seems to indicate same damage over longer time = lower DPS = I don't want to waste two skill points to lower my DPS. I still don't know if this is a poorly worded tooltip and in reality I'll do more DoT with this passive or if the tooltip is correct and Enduring Rays is a skill point powered self-inflicted nerf.
  • Fuxo
    Fuxo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Info from page 1:
    Sun Fire damage will last an extra second, resulting in an extra damage tick with two points in the Enduring Rays passive.

Info from 1.2.3 patch notes:
    Sunfire: This ability’s damage-over-time now lasts 1 additional second, and deals 10% more damage.

It looks good on paper, but math tells me that it lasts 15-20% longer and does 10% more damage, i.e. dps is lower now. With Enduring Rays passive, maybe even more so.
  • chaosme
    chaosme
    ✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Has there ever been any clarification on whether Enduring Rays lowers the DPS of Sun Fire? The tooltip seems to indicate same damage over longer time = lower DPS = I don't want to waste two skill points to lower my DPS. I still don't know if this is a poorly worded tooltip and in reality I'll do more DoT with this passive or if the tooltip is correct and Enduring Rays is a skill point powered self-inflicted nerf.

I tested Sun Fire with Enduring Rays prior to Craglorn. The increased duration on Sun Fire merely increases the time between dot ticks. The number of ticks is still the same, so it is a dps decrease.

Haven't tested it again since then but might have changed based on the posted patch notes and info?
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two thoughts:

1. A question that needs to be asked is, "What is the heart of being a templar?" Everything else builds off of that.

A DK, for example, is based on survivability and close-range AOE. You can build on that to be a backup healer/buffer, or a kamikaze tank, etc. A NB is based on stealth and massive single target burst damage. Again, you can build on that in different directions. A Sorc can be similar described. So if you want to be a healer DK or NB, or a tank Sorc or NB, you can, but you have to build it out of your class's core strength and identity.

So what do the devs and players see as the heart of being a templar out of which builds like "mage-plar" or a "tank-plar" should be constructed?

2. As for resource management and magicka, do you really want magicka regen, which has many routes for increase via provisions, gear, etc, or do you want magicka regain? See this quote of a previous post for examples of regain.
    I completely agree with others that restoring spirit needs a boost from 2/4 to as much as 4/8...

Rune focus needs to be at least 50% larger, I should still be able to stay in it if an NPC drops their smallest aoe in the middle by moving to an edge...and not be driven out by every single fire/oil/volley attack...

I think the most interedting thing todo for active regen would be to change light weaver so it would restore a small amount of magicka and stam(maybe 1% of base stat) each time one of our templar heals crit. Then healing becomes our resource management skill and our healing tree starts to synergize with our other trees, same as other classes rather than being "the red headed stepchild" of the skill trees.

If not that, then give the Templar a small amount of restore based on damage taken, to encourage front line Templar fighting, as a Knight should rather than the Templar hiding in the back healing...

Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • JLB
    JLB
    ✭✭✭✭
    2. As for resource management and magicka, do you really want magicka regen, which has many routes for increase via provisions, gear, etc, or do you want magicka regain? See this quote of a previous post for examples of regain.

I've noticed this too, but whenever I read it I tend to think people actually mean magicka regain or management, in other words: ways to get magicka through class abilities/passives, i.e. Channeled Focus or Honor the dead (if it worked properly).

That's the boost the class needs at least - not getting more magicka regeneration stat which you can easily softcap.
    But I'm sure that's quite clear.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JLB wrote: »

I've noticed this too, but whenever I read it I tend to think people actually mean magicka regain or management, in other words: ways to get magicka through class abilities/passives, i.e. Channeled Focus or Honor the dead (if it worked properly).

That's the boost the class needs at least - not getting more magicka regeneration stat which you can easily softcap.
    But I'm sure that's quite clear.

Maybe, but nearly all the references I saw were to regen, so I wanted to clarify.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Fuxo
    Fuxo
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO is actually a game of resource management in a fantasy setting. And since all class abilites are designed around magicka, magicka sustain is crucial in the game of resource management. There are both passive regen/regain and active regain mechanics available to every class.

Regarding the active ones, since they dictate the actual game play and "feel" to a class, DK has Sea of Flames, Draw Essence and Battle Roar, SORC has Dark Exchange, Endless Fury and Energy Overload, and NB has Executioner and Siphoning Strikes.
    On the other side, templar has no ability or class skill with synergy to active magicka regain. I intentionally do not mention Channeled Focus, since that one provides a very weak (passive) way to regain magicka.

Beta version of Restoring Spirit provided a nice and unique way of (active) resource management, but unfortunately it was changed/nerfed to a passive cost reduction.

Templars really need some sort of active magicka regain mechanics as a part of their class abilities or skills.
    A question that needs to be asked is, "What is the heart of being a templar?" Everything else builds off of that.

The answer is simple. Templar is a support class. A great support class actually, because there are 3 class skill trees that offer a great versatility.
    Unfortunately, because of templar's poor magicka sustain, other classes can play those roles better at the moment thanks to their (much) better resource management.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    chaosme wrote: »
    I tested Sun Fire with Enduring Rays prior to Craglorn. The increased duration on Sun Fire merely increases the time between dot ticks. The number of ticks is still the same, so it is a dps decrease.

Haven't tested it again since then but might have changed based on the posted patch notes and info?

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌

Can you or the team investigate this? I can't imagine Enduring Rays was intended to lower our DPS. If it is, I think it needs to be fixed. That seems like a bug, not an "area that needs improvement" kind of thing.

Dawn's Wrath only has two skills that do DoT - the Nova Ultimate and Sun Fire. Nova is so expensive that while the dps increase from Enduring Rays is nice, we use Nova so infrequently that it is a minor piece of our damage dealing. Sun Fire is where most of our dps is coming from. You can't leave that not only lacking synergy with the class passive but having the class passive actively undermine it!

• ARtChi
    ARtChi
    ✭✭✭

Our Dps has raised greatly since last patch.

I ran a few tests yesterday on some R9 Trolls in Easternmarch :

TempDPS.jpg

1,2,3 : Punctunring sweep only : ~400 dps
    4,5,6 : Puncturing sweep + Vampire ban : ~500 dps
    7 : Puncturing sweep + Vampire ban + blazing spear : ~600 dps

I'm not stuffed dps and I don't use bitting jabs (so no execute distortion in this tests), just magika management oriented with healing staff. I think 500 dps is easly sustainable in a long run fight now. With equilibrium and proper stuff even 600+ is possible. Still far away from DK but not so bad :)

I also ran some tests with destruction staff on mono target in dungeon :
    Medium attack / interupt cast with force shock / vampire ban cycle go over 500 dps with no mana management issue.

Nova is really (too) strong now. We did crypt of hearts with another templar, 2 novas just destroy every packs of mobs. And with the use of vampire ban and some healing, it goes up really nicely.

I didn't test PvP since it was over laggy, but I believe templar is truelly OP now. Overall a great patch for our class, let's just wait for our nerf now :p