The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crystal Shard replaced by Crystal Weapon — please roll back!

• lurkin777
    lurkin777
    ✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    lurkin777 wrote: »
    Beardimus wrote: »
    lurkin777 wrote: »
    A common through-line of many of the pro-Blast contingent is the focus on the stun and mobs not reaching you. Are you not using food that adds Health? Or using Lightning Form for resistances?

With 810 CP properly allocated (and really, with diminishing returns, it ends up being anything above like 400) Overland enemies pose basically zero threat to even a Light Armor wearer.

Plus, you have Critical Surge, pets, and shields to assist with staying alive. There is a reason that bot farms use Sorcerers with Surge and Lightning Form to passively farm Mudcrabs for leather, because the Critical Surge heals and player-based AoE basically ensure that you cannot die. And using an ultimate like Suppression Field is the instant-win button for triumphing over any number of non-boss mobs.

Anyway, I'm not trying to bash but simply want to point out that the magSorc toolkit is already AMAZING for soloing and farming and that it really does not need Crystal Blast to be effective at it.

I don't need someone telling me how to play. Would you like me to tell you how to play!

You seem to have a stamina sorc so I understand why you want and like the change. I an not talking to you as I was making my voice heard that I don't like the change or the way they did it!!

@lurkin777 Listen, there are plenty of threads on this forum where folks will seem elitist or tell folks how to play in a negative way, this isn't one of them. (what that is just what you are doing now)

This is less experienced players talking about a skill that wasn't that good, and how they miss it / can't cope without it, and then it's others just trying to help.

And those open to listening to the help have adapted and are happy now, in fact better off than before..

If you don't care about performance at all and just miss the skill I get it, but many posts are talking about missing it's effectiveness and it just isn't thus folks are trying to help.

Folks aremt TELLING you how to play. A change has happened, you can't undo, people are posting about that and folks are trying to help. That's it..

I guess we have been ready different posts. Many of the comment talk about no knowing how to play because I and other like this skill over the others and we should change to this or that!!!

That is telling me how to play.

Also how do you know that everyone that changed likes it better and are happy?

They are making the classes more and more generic. If you play magicka use these skills and it you do stamina use these. I don't like that! They are making changes every time that make on classes more alike. Do you know why? I believe that it is all for PVP. They can't seem to balance PVP.

The primary driver for this change was to give stam sorcs a spammable for pve dps. I know that people love to blame pvp for changes they don’t like, but it’s often not the case. You seem rooted in anger and blame about this, and I get it, we’ve all been verging degrees of upset when a skill we love gets gutted. But the bottom line is that it’s not going to change back, and you need to adapt.

Maybe that means adapting to a life without eso because you’re unable to move on from this skill change, but if you decide to adapt to playing sorcs with the changes, there’s plenty of good advice in this thread

Sorry but you are wrong about me being rooted in anger and blame.

I call it as I see it and I don't like it when people make assumptions about how I am a bad player and should play the game their way.

I know I will have to adapt but how difficult would it have been for them to just refund my one spell they changed so that I don't have to respec my characters to make it a magic skill again. That was just plain lazy on there part. I was a programmer and it is pretty easy to write a routine to refund the point or switch it to the magic morph. It's pretty clear that to leave a magic based build with a stamina skill after making it stamina from magicka was not very considerate.
    Options
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dude, it's one morph. How much does it cost you, 1k? You can get that from login rewards.
    Do you know how many times I had to change morphs? Every update. Every time I switch between PvP and PvE. And that's easy. Taking out entire skills, like Dawnbreaker (which used to be magicka), that is where it gets costly with 20k. At least I can now refund single skills. Used to be a skill reset would reset ALL your skills, you know how much of a pain that was?
    And CP! 3k per switch, every time from PvP to PvE.
    Like, dude, you're inventing problems where there are none.
    Options
  • IBT3434
    IBT3434
    [/quote]

Sorry but you are wrong about me being rooted in anger and blame.

I call it as I see it and I don't like it when people make assumptions about how I am a bad player and should play the game their way.

I know I will have to adapt but how difficult would it have been for them to just refund my one spell they changed so that I don't have to respec my characters to make it a magic skill again. That was just plain lazy on there part. I was a programmer and it is pretty easy to write a routine to refund the point or switch it to the magic morph. It's pretty clear that to leave a magic based build with a stamina skill after making it stamina from magicka was not very considerate. [/quote]

I Agree, there seems to be a lot of players that are saying JUST GET OVER IT...IT"S HAPPENED TO ME TOO !!!

And then saying "THERE NOT GOING TO CHANGE IT BACK" Also making reasons for a specific skill being removed..like it was a bad morph anyway or you didn't need it to survive !
    But just a suggestion, if all of the users instead of Quote "Stopped trying to bash the morph/skill and used there time to point out too ESO programmers they need to stop doing this or take a vote or find a better way of making these changes, then maybe after the next update there would not be Threads like this EVEN NECESSARY!!!

And just FYI....forget the damage and the magicka/stamina & the fact that it was Ranged..But I really liked the graffics that surrounded CRYSTAL BLAST I thought they looked really cool.
    So call me Newb, call me joke, call me whatever. But I really think if you all put the pressure back on the ESO Programmers they would STOP screwing with your Characters so much. Sorry for the long Rant ! But one last thing, speaking just for myself I do appreciate the users that are JUST trying to help, without throwing in there LAME Comments about the CRYSTAL BLAST MORPH...

IBT

Options
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

After removing a handful of posts due to Flaming and Baiting, we would like to remind everyone that all posts should be kept civil, constructive, and within the Community Guidelines. Flaming and Baiting are both violations of those rules and are stated as follows:
    • Flaming: It’s okay to disagree and debate on the official ESO forums, but we do ask that you keep all disagreements civil, constructive, and on-topic. If a discussion gets heated and turns into a debate, remember that you should stick to debating the post and/or thread topic. It is never appropriate to resort to personal comments or jabs about those participating in the thread discussion.
    • Trolling or Baiting: The act of trolling is defined as something that is created for the intent to provoke conflict, shock others, or to elicit a strong negative or emotional reaction. It’s okay and very normal to disagree with others, and even to debate, but provoking conflict, baiting, inciting, mocking, etc. is never acceptable in the official The Elder Scrolls Online community. If you do not have something constructive or meaningful to add to a discussion, we strongly recommend you refrain from posting in that thread, and find another discussion to participate in instead. It is also not constructive or helpful to publicly call out others and accuse them of trolling, or call them a troll—please refrain from doing so. If you genuinely believe someone is trolling, please report the post or thread to the ESO Team, and leave it at that.
    If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please feel free to take a few moments to review them here.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on September 14, 2020 8:03PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • IBT3434
    IBT3434

Copied from ZOS_Adrikoth~Admin

We monitor the ESO forums on a daily basis, not only to read your feedback, ideas, and suggestions, and interact with you, but also to ensure that our forum community is a civil, constructive, and safe place for everyone.

Greetings all
    Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-

Thanks for joining us Greg !!!

Would you mind taking a minute to address the issues that have been brought up in this thread ? Mainly the removal/replacement of the Skill/Morph Crystal Blast. And to quote one user Lord-Otto below but just the problem issues !!!
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    Do you know how many times I had to change morphs? Every update. Every time I switch between PvP and PvE. Taking out entire skills, like Dawnbreaker (which used to be magicka), that is where it gets costly with 20k.. Used to be a skill reset would reset ALL your skills, you know how much of a pain that was?
    And CP! 3k per switch, every time from PvP to PvE.

Why can't Zenimax find a better solution to these skill changes? Is there a civil, constructive place for everyone to be involved in some of these major class/skill changes? Or to users just keep having to be Surprised and get Stuck with what you get ?

IBT3434

Options
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    IBT3434 wrote: »
    Or to users just keep having to be Surprised and get Stuck with what you get ?

This is almost always what happens. If you think that this change came out of nowhere then you should see what happened to the Templars. And, of course, entire gear sets the builds that use them get completely invalidated from patch to patch.

Technically we have the PTS period to comment on changes but rarely does anything from the initial PTS get changed in a substantive way, no matter how much you dislike them. Basically, suffering the random caprices of the PTS cycle is one of the hallmarks of being an ESO player.

Were you browsing the PTS forum during the ~5 weeks that it was active? Usually when the PTS is introduced is when you see the greatest uproar because all the changes are new at that time. The Blast change is super old news to PTS users because they were unveiled, at this point, two months ago.
    Options
  • IBT3434
    IBT3434

This is almost always what happens. If you think that this change came out of nowhere then you should see what happened to the Templars. And, of course, entire gear sets the builds that use them get completely invalidated from patch to patch.

Technically we have the PTS period to comment on changes but rarely does anything from the initial PTS get changed in a substantive way, no matter how much you dislike them. Basically, suffering the random caprices of the PTS cycle is one of the hallmarks of being an ESO player.

Were you browsing the PTS forum during the ~5 weeks that it was active? Usually when the PTS is introduced is when you see the greatest uproar because all the changes are new at that time. The Blast change is super old news to PTS users because they were unveiled, at this point, two months ago.

Thanks for that info YanderGirlfriend ! because the short answer is no I was not browsing at that time, like I posted earlier I am a Newb to this particular game. I have seen a ton of different variations like it "Neverwinter, D&D online and a lot more but new to the ESO. I just learned of Transmutation Geode's last night & Scrying last week !!! I also had to contact ESO support to have an "Invitation" to the forums sent to me a couple weeks ago which I have never really heard of either.

I wish ESO could find a better way of doing these types of changes so that so many people did not feel damaged by the game updates. Not talking about just crystal blast, talking about so many times this sounds like it's happened to a lot of users...

Options
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for that info YanderGirlfriend ! because the short answer is no I was not browsing at that time, like I posted earlier I am a Newb to this particular game. I have seen a ton of different variations like it "Neverwinter, D&D online and a lot more but new to the ESO. I just learned of Transmutation Geode's last night & Scrying last week !!! I also had to contact ESO support to have an "Invitation" to the forums sent to me a couple weeks ago which I have never really heard of either.

I wish ESO could find a better way of doing these types of changes so that so many people did not feel damaged by the game updates. Not talking about just crystal blast, talking about so many times this sounds like it's happened to a lot of users...

A couple of popular streamers usually review PTS changes in a video on YouTube. Most notably Alcast, but also Isth3re No 1 Else and Fengrush. If you want to get an early look at changes and get an explanation of what they mean for the game, those might be a worthwhile watch for you.
    Other than that, the PTS forum. But it's the internet, so grow a bit of a thick skin. (^_^)'
    Options
  • IBT3434
    IBT3434
    Confused ????
    [/quote]

Other than that, the PTS forum. But it's the internet, so grow a bit of a thick skin. (^_^)'[/quote]

Not sure about this reference Otto ?

But I guess I'm easily confused !!! Because I just started a new level One Sorcerer/Character & Guess what was one of the First And Recommended Skills...........Crystal Blast....WTH ESO????

Options
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hm, I was giving the (in my opinion) two best ways of getting information on changes with analysis behind them. The PTS forum is a bit more... wild than YT videos, though, so I wanted to mention that.
    These skill advisors are really shallow. Like the loading screen hint about weaving light attacks into a skill rotation. It's okay if you just started playing, but once you have leveled up your skill lines and have all skills abailable, you should really look for build videos or ask on the forums.
    Options
  • oregonrob
    oregonrob
    ✭✭✭
    One of the positive points of ESO as a game is that there are many different ways to play it. And while this might seem heretical to some, there is no one right way to play the game. When someone says that a skill is a crutch, that is an opinion and not a fact. It is just as valid to say that person does not know how to use that skill effectively so they are belittling it. I have been around long enough to recognize some of the posters here, who were just as upset as the crystal shard supporters are, when something they used was either nerfed or changed. The best posts here are the ones that explain their stance without giving unsolicited advice on how to play the game or insisting that their way is the best way.

If Zenimax would take the time to provide the data that underlie decisions like this, it would also help reduce the angst that people feel when something is changed or dropped. Maybe something to consider for the future?
    Options
  • IBT3434
    IBT3434
    oregonrob wrote: »
    The best posts here are the ones that explain their stance without giving unsolicited advice on how to play the game or insisting that their way is the best way.

If Zenimax would take the time to provide the data that underlie decisions like this, it would also help reduce the angst that people feel when something is changed or dropped. Maybe something to consider for the future?

Finally...........my opinion is that OregonRob has the best post of this whole subject !!! Well done sir, well said !!!

Options
  • Xeriohn
    Xeriohn
    Soul Shriven
    Ok I am a casual player, In fact i've been casual for almost 2 decades in different mmorpgs, so I have a bit of experience; nowadays i am playing whenever i can, and no longer care about Meta, balance or pvp, I enjoy the views and the plot (yes i do) and I find quite annoying that my shardspamming petsorc char cannot longer be played because some imbalance in pvp... you'll say deal with it! and i will (probably)do, but allow me my minute of ranting since someone decided to change my full game because of "issues" or something alike that never affected me or many of the players in the first place. I'd love for them to roll back the changes but i know they won't, still I would like to show my support in this thread, that is all.
    Options
  • Noxulous
    Noxulous
    Soul Shriven
    i was a hardcore player, made 810 on crystal blast, did vet dungeons successfully and without fail, and even did a few trials successfully, crystal blast was incredibly helpful in pvp as well, how can anyone say that its worthless when they never learned to use it to its full potential? i found that LA weaving with crystal blast was immensely effective as if you started an LA during the cast time you would shoot 2 LAs as the crystal blast fired, and if you got into a good rhythm of cast and LA you could kill enemy players extremely quickly, and do tons of burst damage to single targets as well as being able to just spam crystal blast on its own to kill big groups quickly, i was able to stack my stats and get crystal blast up to 15k damage per cast, huge crits and lots of crit chance. my technique for weaving crystal blast was also able to capitalize on some things that require light attacks to trigger or poisons/enchantments, it doesn't sound terribly helpful on its own until you take into account lifesteal hindering poisons or fire enchantments to boost damage, or infernal maw set to summon a daedroth, crystal blast weave was enabled me to overpower just about every threat i came across and save my magicka in the process, as well as healing myself constantly AND heal myself with crit surge.

ZOS SHOULD bring it back, but stamina builds really need crystal weapon then i say we should have 3 morphs instead of the standard 2, especially since they weren't shy about overhauling the champion point system the way they did.
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noxulous wrote: »
    i was a hardcore player, made 810 on crystal blast, did vet dungeons successfully and without fail, and even did a few trials successfully, crystal blast was incredibly helpful in pvp as well, how can anyone say that its worthless when they never learned to use it to its full potential? i found that LA weaving with crystal blast was immensely effective as if you started an LA during the cast time you would shoot 2 LAs as the crystal blast fired, and if you got into a good rhythm of cast and LA you could kill enemy players extremely quickly, and do tons of burst damage to single targets as well as being able to just spam crystal blast on its own to kill big groups quickly, i was able to stack my stats and get crystal blast up to 15k damage per cast, huge crits and lots of crit chance. my technique for weaving crystal blast was also able to capitalize on some things that require light attacks to trigger or poisons/enchantments, it doesn't sound terribly helpful on its own until you take into account lifesteal hindering poisons or fire enchantments to boost damage, or infernal maw set to summon a daedroth, crystal blast weave was enabled me to overpower just about every threat i came across and save my magicka in the process, as well as healing myself constantly AND heal myself with crit surge.

ZOS SHOULD bring it back, but stamina builds really need crystal weapon then i say we should have 3 morphs instead of the standard 2, especially since they weren't shy about overhauling the champion point system the way they did.

That's quite the necro post.

I don't think you would really want Crystal Blast back at this point. Shards, Dark Flare and Snipe have all been nerfed terribly in the last six months and Blast would have to follow the same nerfed damage amount.
    Options
  • Noxulous
    Noxulous
    Soul Shriven
    danno8 wrote: »

That's quite the necro post.

I don't think you would really want Crystal Blast back at this point. Shards, Dark Flare and Snipe have all been nerfed terribly in the last six months and Blast would have to follow the same nerfed damage amount.

honestly, i'd take it.

my rotation dynamic would still work fine with that kind of nerf, my gripe is with the way the LA weave is no longer as efficient and how the crystal frags is only single target, if they made it an AoE then i could deal with everything else, i'm even fine with losing the stun, slightly upset, but fine with it, but losing that cheap, powerful, ranged, targeted aoe was a massive blow to my build.
    Options
  • Noxulous
    Noxulous
    Soul Shriven
    honestly it was the versatility of the skill, other AoE's cant be LA weaved well for single target dps, and single target spells do poorly against large groups, i was having a blast using crystal blast for both situations in different ways, thats my only real complaint.
    Options
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I want Crystal blast back. Funny how those who backed zos on this got a literal copy of elemental weapon and liked it? Like literally take something unique and make it copy something else, why?
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
    Options
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ryuvain wrote: »
    Yeah, I want Crystal blast back. Funny how those who backed zos on this got a literal copy of elemental weapon and liked it? Like literally take something unique and make it copy something else, why?

Because taking a functionally dead morph that's used by a tiny minority of the player base and turning it into something that's useful for stamSorcs in both PvE as well as PvP was and remains a good use of developer resources.

I like Crystal Weapon and I use Crystal Weapon. You don't do either. Both of us are simple anecdotes though and ZOS has the actual data on how popular the morph was and currently is. The fact that they changed the morph tells you all you need to know about how popular Crystal Blast used to be.
    Options
  • ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, I've had a stam sorc for about 3 years now. And it is nice to have something for stamina. It is not the most comfortable thing to use, but made my sorc when the stamina psijic skill was the spammable. It is one of the few stamina spammables that helps stamina compositions in content, and I personally think the ability combined with bound armaments, fit the esthetic of the sword saint I was looking to make.
    Options
  • Noxulous
    Noxulous
    Soul Shriven
    except it killed a morph in favor of a remake of a pre-existing spell, thats the issue here, it killed a niche build for a cosmetic reskin of another skill, which functionally serves no purpose, as opposed to crystal blasts admittedly niche appeal serving *some* purpose.
    Options
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the discussion in this thread reveals anything, then it reveals that the current system of 5 skills w/ 2 morphs per skill line no longer works, at least when the current state and trajectory of combat in ESO is concerned.

The whole idea behind the morphs of abilities was to provide choices for the player when creating their character. Each morph was meant to augment the skill in different ways. Thus offering the player a choice depending on what their vision for their character and their combat style was. Snipe for instance has two morph. One benefits players seeking a "poison" playstyle, and the other benefits more "physical, long-ranged" playstyles. Sure, one morph may end up being "better" in the long run dps wise, but the choice is still there. The same can be said about old Crystal Blast. Sure, it may not have been the "best" moprh, but for those who used it, it was more about the choice.

But with the current system of ESO, where Magicka and Stamina are less about doing A, B, or C vs. X, Y, or Z but rather more like semi-parallel scaling mechanics, the number of choices are becoming diminished, and more of an illusion. Does a Warden really have a choice between the morphs of some of the Animal Companion skills? Not really. Many of the choices are made for the player based on whether they have more Magicka or Stamina points allocated. The division of Mag/Stam in regards to scaling and how power is determined, and the trajectory of offering 1 morph for each of those scalings (at least where Class skills are concerned) means that the choices the player has are gradually diminishing into one: Magicka or Stamina.

The whole discussion into this thread can come down to the loss of a choice regarding a skill in favor of increasing the choice of Magicka vs. Stamina. Changing Crystal Blast to Crystal Weapon meant that the choice regarding the skill was lost. Yes, a skill was made available for those who put more points into Stamina. But, it came at the cost of a choice the player could make.

Which really gets to the overall problem that combat in ESO faces: the illusion of choice. That the mere allocation of points into Magicka or Stamina determines the choice of armor, weapon(s), and morphs for the player. Putting more points into Magicka than Stamina on a Warden means that my character will also be wearing primarily Light Armor, wielding a Destruction Staff (most likely), and choosing the Deep Fissure morph. What could be all individual choices based on the benefits each one provides to the character I want to create boils down to only one. Do we really have 36 different choices when picking morphs of abilities for our characters? Or do we only have, in reality, 4?
    Options
  • Noxulous
    Noxulous
    Soul Shriven
    ealdwin wrote: »
    If the discussion in this thread reveals anything, then it reveals that the current system of 5 skills w/ 2 morphs per skill line no longer works, at least when the current state and trajectory of combat in ESO is concerned.

The whole idea behind the morphs of abilities was to provide choices for the player when creating their character. Each morph was meant to augment the skill in different ways. Thus offering the player a choice depending on what their vision for their character and their combat style was. Snipe for instance has two morph. One benefits players seeking a "poison" playstyle, and the other benefits more "physical, long-ranged" playstyles. Sure, one morph may end up being "better" in the long run dps wise, but the choice is still there. The same can be said about old Crystal Blast. Sure, it may not have been the "best" moprh, but for those who used it, it was more about the choice.

But with the current system of ESO, where Magicka and Stamina are less about doing A, B, or C vs. X, Y, or Z but rather more like semi-parallel scaling mechanics, the number of choices are becoming diminished, and more of an illusion. Does a Warden really have a choice between the morphs of some of the Animal Companion skills? Not really. Many of the choices are made for the player based on whether they have more Magicka or Stamina points allocated. The division of Mag/Stam in regards to scaling and how power is determined, and the trajectory of offering 1 morph for each of those scalings (at least where Class skills are concerned) means that the choices the player has are gradually diminishing into one: Magicka or Stamina.

The whole discussion into this thread can come down to the loss of a choice regarding a skill in favor of increasing the choice of Magicka vs. Stamina. Changing Crystal Blast to Crystal Weapon meant that the choice regarding the skill was lost. Yes, a skill was made available for those who put more points into Stamina. But, it came at the cost of a choice the player could make.

Which really gets to the overall problem that combat in ESO faces: the illusion of choice. That the mere allocation of points into Magicka or Stamina determines the choice of armor, weapon(s), and morphs for the player. Putting more points into Magicka than Stamina on a Warden means that my character will also be wearing primarily Light Armor, wielding a Destruction Staff (most likely), and choosing the Deep Fissure morph. What could be all individual choices based on the benefits each one provides to the character I want to create boils down to only one. Do we really have 36 different choices when picking morphs of abilities for our characters? Or do we only have, in reality, 4?

i agree, if more skills were available and more choices with those skills, this wouldn't be an issue, i mean people dont really complain about this in another game i could mention with almost too many choices, it allows a nice library of meta builds with room to design a new one, in ESO the meta builds can be counted on one hand for any given class and thats reallyt he problem; no variety.
    Options
  • Noxulous
    Noxulous
    Soul Shriven
    if they added a new skill to each class skill line, gave back crystal blast, and gave mages a separate weapon enchant skill that has 2 morphs that'd be really cool i think and would satisfy everyone at least for the time being.
    Options
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    if they added a new skill to each class skill line, gave back crystal blast, and gave mages a separate weapon enchant skill that has 2 morphs that'd be really cool i think and would satisfy everyone at least for the time being.

I think that this would be an awesome solution as well.
    Options
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because taking a functionally dead morph that's used by a tiny minority of the player base and turning it into something that's useful for stamSorcs in both PvE as well as PvP was and remains a good use of developer resources.

I like Crystal Weapon and I use Crystal Weapon. You don't do either. Both of us are simple anecdotes though and ZOS has the actual data on how popular the morph was and currently is. The fact that they changed the morph tells you all you need to know about how popular Crystal Blast used to be.

There it is again. Zos is always right? Except when they do something people themselves specifically don't like.

People still used the skill, so what about them?

Seriously, taking something unique and making a clone is never right. Why not buff elemental weapon a bit? It's the exact same skill.
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Options
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

There it is again. Zos is always right? Except when they do something people themselves specifically don't like.

Seriously, taking something unique and making a clone is never right. Why not buff elemental weapon a bit? It's the exact same skill.

What's not right is allowing a tiny minority of magSorc players to block stamSorcs from being able to use their own class abilities.

The situation is still wildly imbalanced, with Magicka vacuuming up all 6/6 available ultimate morphs plus something like 75% of all class abilities. It was the least that could be done to throw stamSorcs a small bone in the form of a spammable. In the same change, ZOS also improved Crystal Frags and allowed magSorcs to save a bar slot that otherwise would have been dedicated to using a non-class spammable. It was a win-win for the overwhelming majority of overall Sorcerer players.

But game design is zero-sum so that meant that somebody had to lose - and that was Crystal Blast users. Making a change that benefits the many instead of catering to the few, however, is a hallmark of good balance decision-making.
    Options
  • Noxulous
    Noxulous
    Soul Shriven

What's not right is allowing a tiny minority of magSorc players to block stamSorcs from being able to use their own class abilities.

The situation is still wildly imbalanced, with Magicka vacuuming up all 6/6 available ultimate morphs plus something like 75% of all class abilities. It was the least that could be done to throw stamSorcs a small bone in the form of a spammable. In the same change, ZOS also improved Crystal Frags and allowed magSorcs to save a bar slot that otherwise would have been dedicated to using a non-class spammable. It was a win-win for the overwhelming majority of overall Sorcerer players.

But game design is zero-sum so that meant that somebody had to lose - and that was Crystal Blast users. Making a change that benefits the many instead of catering to the few, however, is a hallmark of good balance decision-making.

well to be fair Sorcerer is a magic class, the idea of being used for a stamina build is asinine to start with. a sorcerer by definition uses magic, but ignoring that, game design is not zero-sum and no one -had- to lose, they just chose not to overhaul the stagnating skill system and add more things, instead choosing to change the already anemic selection of choices.

i mean they overhauled the champion point system a few times, the skill system being overhauled a little could take very little work, adding a bunch of new skills is hard, yes, but i think a multimillion dollar company can handle it.
    Options
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone uses dswing even now anyway. That's still no reason to be happy about something unique being replaced by a cloned skill. I would be accepting if what replaced blast was an aoe stam unique spammable or something, but no, just a literal clone skill.

Also, stam has a LOT more variety in weapon skill choices. Sorcerer mostly being mag made sense. Why do you only have to use class skills and nothing else out of 3 weapon skill lines?
    Edited by Ryuvain on May 13, 2021 6:59AM
    Options
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Everyone uses dswing even now anyway. That's still no reason to be happy about something unique being replaced by a cloned skill. I would be accepting if what replaced blast was an aoe stam unique spammable or something, but no, just a literal clone skill.

Also, stam has a LOT more variety in weapon skill choices. Sorcerer mostly being mag made sense. Why do you only have to use class skills and nothing else out of 3 weapon skill lines?

Using "everyone uses the better skill anyway" argument to justify not giving an alternative is the exact same line of reason ZOS used to change Crystal Blast. Everyone used superior Frags anyway. See? :trollface:

Cleave already is subpar on stam toons. Hence the caltrops buff. Mag has better AoE options. You could very well use some of those. Also MagSorc already brought some group utility in LL synergy, exploitation minor group buff (which can be procced via superior frags) and in some cases a big cleave heal via Matriarch.
    StamSorc had neither of those options to conveniently use. With the change they got 4 positive changes. Exploitation & unnamed penetration and a class spam that also acts as delayed burst for PvP. Sure, it's not the most fluid or original skill to use but the design decision is brilliant. Mag only lost a subpar morph instead of 1 for a stam spam, 1 for utility and another 1 for delayed burst.

well to be fair Sorcerer is a magic class, the idea of being used for a stamina build is asinine to start with. a sorcerer by definition uses magic, but ignoring that, game design is not zero-sum and no one -had- to lose, they just chose not to overhaul the stagnating skill system and add more things, instead choosing to change the already anemic selection of choices.

i mean they overhauled the champion point system a few times, the skill system being overhauled a little could take very little work, adding a bunch of new skills is hard, yes, but i think a multimillion dollar company can handle it.

This is rich. Neither in previous TES lore nor in ESO class design is a Sorcerer a pure wizard. If you care to catch up, read up class descriptions and skill composition from Morrowind and Oblivion. Not a single ESO class is forced into a single resource only. But it goes well with your expressed disregard to the game design overall. Sure they could add a third morph or a sixth skill. But that's just as unlikely as beating a single class out of the build freedom we had since launch.

Lastly a few words about "class skills = magick, stam should use it's more numerous weapon skills". When ESO launched there were no stam/mag dichotomy. So you could very well run around as something we'd call a hybrid build today. Wrecking Blowing, Mage's Fury casting Sorcerer etc. The removal of caps was a cheap trick to stretch their 4 classes to 8. So having more weapon skills and less class skills for stam is a remnant of a long gone design decision.
    Options