Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Crystal Shard replaced by Crystal Weapon — please roll back!

• juliandracos
    juliandracos
    ✭✭
    lucky_Sage wrote: »
    There is a small sorc population that some how thinks it was a amazing ability and they can’t be convinced to see that it actually not a good ability.
    But there are many options to aoe stun mobs for a sorc streak, time stop And vamp stun also sorcs have a aoe root to keep enemies away from you then you have pets which could take most of your dmg for you and very strong shield

You are just not understanding the usage of the skill. For roleplayers or casuals, using a class skill is better than outside skills. Also, there were some PvP builds that used crystal blast primaely gank builds. Everyone know that streak, time stop and many other skills with stuns exist, but crystal blast was very much like the old dizzy swing when it use to stun from first hit. Crystal blast used to do a very high damage, AOE, range, and stun. It does not matter how cheap or costly it was, there is no skill that can compare to what crystal blast had to offer.

Here is the difference for me, and why the loss has caused problems. Previously, I could target a large group. I would drop liquid lightning and then use crystal blast. They all died fast. Mobs almost never got to me. Now, I might drop one target before I have 4-8 on me. The stun was OK, but I mainly used it for the high damage AoE. I could live with the 21% damage reduction. It would take longer to kill things with less damage. However, if there are 4 mobs on me, I would at least hit all 4 of them. However, the loss of the AoE is making the class not fun for me anymore.
    Options
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There is a small sorc population that some how thinks it was a amazing ability and they can’t be convinced to see that it actually not a good ability.
    But there are many options to aoe stun mobs for a sorc streak, time stop And vamp stun also sorcs have a aoe root to keep enemies away from you then you have pets which could take most of your dmg for you and very strong shield

You are just not understanding the usage of the skill. For roleplayers or casuals, using a class skill is better than outside skills. Also, there were some PvP builds that used crystal blast primaely gank builds. Everyone know that streak, time stop and many other skills with stuns exist, but crystal blast was very much like the old dizzy swing when it use to stun from first hit. Crystal blast used to do a very high damage, AOE, range, and stun. It does not matter how cheap or costly it was, there is no skill that can compare to what crystal blast had to offer.

Here is the difference for me, and why the loss has caused problems. Previously, I could target a large group. I would drop liquid lightning and then use crystal blast. They all died fast. Mobs almost never got to me. Now, I might drop one target before I have 4-8 on me. The stun was OK, but I mainly used it for the high damage AoE. I could live with the 21% damage reduction. It would take longer to kill things with less damage. However, if there are 4 mobs on me, I would at least hit all 4 of them. However, the loss of the AoE is making the class not fun for me anymore.

Elemental Ring.
    Options
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

Elemental Ring.

Maybe, but it still costs more and does half as much damage as Crystal Blast and loses the stun and Dark Magic passive procs. It's also trickier to aim than Crystal Blast.

Another alternative is Shock Clench, which does more damage for a lower cost than Elemental Ring, if you don't mind running a Lightning Staff and can live with the shorter range.
    Edited by the1andonlyskwex on August 29, 2020 7:55PM
    Options
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Continuing the theme of Crystal Blast substitutes, use Crushing Prison (or whatever it's called) - the damage morph of the AoE CC ability from Dark Magic.

You can use it when soloing to lock down large groups of enemies and then you can use Mage's Fury to execute them and do splash damage.
    Options
  • richi_b
    richi_b
    Soul Shriven
    After remaining silent and reading my summary is the following:

The problem issued is about a playing concept (not single player's preferences):
    A High Elve magsorc in single player mode with light armor as well as a group healer with infrequent attacks.
    Crystal Blast morph is used as spammable attack against single and multiple (>3) opponents
    with ~11000 points of damage to groups of opponents with load time of 1 sec. and stunning effect.
    Most important: combined with Blood Magic (passive) it heals with every hit.
    This way a sorc can even survive in dungons etc. where you cannot prevent infights with heavily armed opp's.

For all those who gave recommendations for using other skills instead. I am asking myself whether some of you ever played this concept yourself.
    * Crystal Fragments has no multi-opp's effect (you kill one, two kill you)
    * Daedric attacks have a lead time of 6 or more secs (you'll be dead by then)
    * Lighning attacks cause no immideate damage, are AoE attacs and do not combine with healing ability (useless for infights)

Ergo: For character concept discribed above NOTHING even comes close to the a Crystal Blast. It is the most powerfull spammable skill and in many cases the only one to survive with.

The effect from removing the skill is:
    Who wants to level up a magsorc to become a group healer if you have a hard time surviving in single player mode? As a consequence the concept will die out. And this is would be a bad favour to the players' community.

As quite some players stated: If I wanted to play a stamsorc the new Crystal Weapon abily would not help me at all. Perhaps if it was a passive skill...

If ZOS wants to threngthen stamsorcs... well, go along. Feel free to invent a new ability tree for stamsorcs with dedicated infight skills (because that's what it would need). But please do not ruin existing concepts.

So after all I've read I still plead:
    Please roll back this change. It ruins existing concepts where it does not really improve others.
    Options
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I wonder how players can clear vet dungeons on their own without Crystal Blast. Must be hax.
    Options
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Celestro wrote: »
    What stamsorc needed was a storm themed spammable not a deadric summon. This is least compatible with stamsorc identity.

I dont understand why some people say this like Hurricane, Bolt Escape morphs and Critical Surge should be the sole determining factors of stamsorc identity when it comes to future skills just because they were the only usable skills for years. Would it be cool? Sure. Does it make sense objectively? Not really. Even Magsorc doesn't have a storm themed spammable. Only Crystal Shard fits that role for both specs. Storm Calling is only one skill line that dedicates to sorcs identity as a whole. There are two others.

I didn't care too strongly one way or another about a daedric summon for stamsorc but having a whole skill line called "Daedric Summoning" without having anything in it to relate to stamsorcs also didnt make sense either honestly. An Air Atronach ultimate would've been preferred more but its something at least. Progress is progress.

People already talked about the air atronach ultimate and I'm advocate for it too, because it would have pushed the stamsorc theme even further، becuase it is "air" atroanch and doing probably aoe spining attacks and physical damage of course. Bound armament as well people talked about and I did myself, but nobidy wanted the flying daggers, least the could have done is to make the daggers circle around the charcter, but they are static unless fired. See the problem? People are talked about many things for stamsorc from skill rework to passives, but zos is just doing there own thing. They pick up what they want and change it to what they want and disregard the community.
    Options
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I wonder how players can clear vet dungeons on their own without Crystal Blast. Must be hax.

I'm using crystal frag as spammable, it is good, but I hope they make it instant instead of cast time. I never used crystal blast but I can see why people hated it, the cast time is ......
    Options
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm using crystal frag as spammable, it is good, but I hope they make it instant instead of cast time. I never used crystal blast but I can see why people hated it, the cast time is ......

Chances for instant cast are slim, it's likely made to resemble Uppercut. But definitely a huge step up from the old hour-long cast time.
    Options
  • Celestro
    Celestro
    ✭✭✭
    What stamsorc needed was a storm themed spammable not a deadric summon. This is least compatible with stamsorc identity.

I dont understand why some people say this like Hurricane, Bolt Escape morphs and Critical Surge should be the sole determining factors of stamsorc identity when it comes to future skills just because they were the only usable skills for years. Would it be cool? Sure. Does it make sense objectively? Not really. Even Magsorc doesn't have a storm themed spammable. Only Crystal Shard fits that role for both specs. Storm Calling is only one skill line that dedicates to sorcs identity as a whole. There are two others.

I didn't care too strongly one way or another about a daedric summon for stamsorc but having a whole skill line called "Daedric Summoning" without having anything in it to relate to stamsorcs also didnt make sense either honestly. An Air Atronach ultimate would've been preferred more but its something at least. Progress is progress.

People already talked about the air atronach ultimate and I'm advocate for it too, because it would have pushed the stamsorc theme even further، becuase it is "air" atroanch and doing probably aoe spining attacks and physical damage of course. Bound armament as well people talked about and I did myself, but nobidy wanted the flying daggers, least the could have done is to make the daggers circle around the charcter, but they are static unless fired. See the problem? People are talked about many things for stamsorc from skill rework to passives, but zos is just doing there own thing. They pick up what they want and change it to what they want and disregard the community.

Right I understand that but you mentioned they should have a storm-themed spammable to add to the theme. An Air Atronach does add to that theme for stamsorc but to me personally, that would be the only thing I see adding to that unless they seek to change some morphs in the Storm Calling skill line. I don't imagine that would be the case since that would be taking away too many of the magsorc's skill compared to other classes but who knows. Only see it happening from a revamping or other radical change.

Still, nothing in Storm Calling or Daedric Summoning (which is like a mix of the former and Dark Magic) has anything remotely like a spammable skill. Excluding Hurricane, the first has a finisher skill, a heal for self or others, a teleport skill and an AoE DoT. The second has two summon skills, a delayed burst skill, a passive/active skill, and a shield skill. I just couldn't see how a wind/storm themed could fit into the class without it falling under Dark Magic with the only "spammable".
    Options
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes exactly this. It's the exact same complaints we saw for Stam DK's. Every class is comprised of 3 skill lines. They claimed "Stam DK" identity is poison, give us a poison spammable. In reality, you also have Earth and Dragon skill lines that were vastly underused..

So to some degree I see exactly what ZOS is going for when they make abilities for Stam DK and Stam Sorc. However, on the other hand, the abilities they're coming up with suck pretty hard and have been mediocre at best. Poop fist is garbo, Crystal Weapon is okay, but still sucks compared to weapon spammables - a copy/paste skill.. BA is garbo and only works well in pve where no enemies dodge and sustain is key, in pvp it never hits and the damage isn't justified, also a copy/paste skill from poor NB's..

I don't care if it's not lightning, dark magic and daedric summoning can come and I still consider it "Sorc", but at least make them unique..
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
    Options
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    richi_b wrote: »

The problem issued is about a playing concept (not single player's preferences):
    A High Elve magsorc in single player mode with light armor as well as a group healer with infrequent attacks.
    Crystal Blast morph is used as spammable attack against single and multiple (>3) opponents
    with ~11000 points of damage to groups of opponents with load time of 1 sec. and stunning effect.
    This way a sorc can even survive in dungons etc. where you cannot prevent infights with heavily armed opp's.

For all those who gave recommendations for using other skills instead. I am asking myself whether some of you ever played this concept yourself.
    * Lighning attacks cause no immideate damage, are AoE attacs and do not combine with healing ability (useless for infights)

Ergo: For character concept discribed above NOTHING even comes close to the a Crystal Blast. It is the most powerfull spammable skill and in many cases the only one to survive with.

Who wants to level up a magsorc to become a group healer if you have a hard time surviving in single player mode? As a consequence the concept will die out. And this is would be a bad favour to the players' community.

As quite some players stated: If I wanted to play a stamsorc the new Crystal Weapon abily would not help me at all. Perhaps if it was a passive skill...

If ZOS wants to threngthen stamsorcs... well, go along. Feel free to invent a new ability tree for stamsorcs with dedicated infight skills (because that's what it would need). But please do not ruin existing concepts.

Please roll back this change. It ruins existing concepts where it does not really improve others.

I gave you an insightful because you explain your points well and I basically agree with many of them. I know the frustration of having a certain playstyle ruined by an "improvement". But I agree with Lord-Otto's following comment more; vMA is as hard if not harder than a solo dungeon, but crystal blast has never been in the toolkit of sorcs that make the vMA scoreboard (afaik). And this isn't because of any skill snobbery, it's just because crit surge plus ground dots plus force pulse weaves do more damage and also keep you alive. The playstyle you describe may well be effective, and it sounds it tbh, but it's likely not the most effective for the purpose you describe. Having said that I do think that, with all the balancing between mag and stam skills over the patches, we should all be asking for a 4th skill line per class at this point.
    PC | EU
    Options
  • juliandracos
    juliandracos
    ✭✭

I gave you an insightful because you explain your points well and I basically agree with many of them. I know the frustration of having a certain playstyle ruined by an "improvement". But I agree with Lord-Otto's following comment more; vMA is as hard if not harder than a solo dungeon, but crystal blast has never been in the toolkit of sorcs that make the vMA scoreboard (afaik). And this isn't because of any skill snobbery, it's just because crit surge plus ground dots plus force pulse weaves do more damage and also keep you alive. The playstyle you describe may well be effective, and it sounds it tbh, but it's likely not the most effective for the purpose you describe. Having said that I do think that, with all the balancing between mag and stam skills over the patches, we should all be asking for a 4th skill line per class at this point.

It very much is the most effective for the content we are doing. The ground dots do far less damage. Not to mention you are dropping multiple ground dots, using crit surge, and force push. That is a lot of hassle to do through for killing things we used to be able to do with 1 spell. For the content other people do, then other abilities could be better.

If I pull say 10-16 targets, when I hit one, I pretty much hit all 16. Often groups have casters/bow and then tanks. I drop a ground dot on the distance and then blast all of the tanks. The tanks would die in 3 spells. Then I would have to pick off the other ones.

I grouped with a much high CP sorcerer and obsessed him. He did very well. I would not say he needed or used any crystal spell. However, he needed a more open area and he killed slower than I used to be able to.

The content we are doing matters and not every set up is best for every situation. Not to mention, equipment, CP, and other things affect overall damage.
    Options
  • newer1d
    newer1d
    Soul Shriven

and juliandracos's comment.

"Totally agree"
    The thing that people who agree with the changes have in common, is they don't understand, not everyone does Vet dungeons or PvP. I have played this game for 6 years and never once had the urge to do a Vet dungeon. I was just happy playing my Sorc as it was intended without b@st@rd1sing it into a stamina variant. The story line and open world group events are fantastic. Staying within character has always been an enjoyable past time.
    Options
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What’s done is done. Crystal blast is a skill of the past. Work on your rotations because spamming one button was always a L2P issue. Frags is the better morph and the one you should learn to use.
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on September 1, 2020 8:09AM
    Options
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Right I understand that but you mentioned they should have a storm-themed spammable to add to the theme. An Air Atronach does add to that theme for stamsorc but to me personally, that would be the only thing I see adding to that unless they seek to change some morphs in the Storm Calling skill line. I don't imagine that would be the case since that would be taking away too many of the magsorc's skill compared to other classes but who knows. Only see it happening from a revamping or other radical change.

Still, nothing in Storm Calling or Daedric Summoning (which is like a mix of the former and Dark Magic) has anything remotely like a spammable skill. Excluding Hurricane, the first has a finisher skill, a heal for self or others, a teleport skill and an AoE DoT. The second has two summon skills, a delayed burst skill, a passive/active skill, and a shield skill. I just couldn't see how a wind/storm themed could fit into the class without it falling under Dark Magic with the only "spammable".

themes of most classes usual created by how people normal play the class or how it appears to others. while it is true that all class have 3 skill line that usually vary in skill types, there is usually 1 skill line that is dominant for what it gives. magicka dragon excel in fire damage and people usually think of fire when someone says magicka dragon knight, nobody thinks of frost or magic damage...etc. stamina dragon knight excel in poison even if has a physical type damage spammable or used magic abilities, it signature skills are nixous breath and venomous claw. stamina sorcerer is also the same, it probably gets its theme from hurricane and streak and impulsion before it changed to amplitude. that is why I said that crystal weapon does not fit the stamina sorcerer theme, but tbh it does not even fit the dark magic skill line. dark magic skill line has the highest hitting skills in the class and crowd control, crystal weapon does not cover any of that, even the adjust crystal fragment skill is far better than crystal weapon in both functionality and damage. At least the old crystal blast had the damage and stun so it fitted the dark magic design of both crowd control and damage
    Options
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aertew wrote: »
    Stamsorc literally had no class spammable till today. Use the other morph for magicka.

so we just gonna ignore the channels from the duel wield skill line huh...

Dual wield is not a CLASS line. Stamsorcs needed and should have a few stamina skills from the SORC CLASS skill lines. Mag sorcs have every skill morph except 3 or 4. They can afford to give up one or two so stamsorcs can actually be a sorc, not some generic weapon weilding non-class.
    Beta tester November 2013
    Options
  • fced
    fced
    ✭✭
    Hi there,

Quoted from today‘s patch notes:

###
    Crystal Blast (morph): This ability has been reworked into a Stamina morph, and renamed to Crystal Weapon. It is now an instant-cast ability that causes your next Light or Heavy Attack made within 4 seconds to deal additional damage, equal to the standard spammable amount such as Lava Whip or Veiled Strike. Enemies hit by this ability will their armor reduced by up to 1000.
    ###

Why the hack did you do that? The crystal Blast is the only meaningful attack for single player High Elves sorcerers.
    This is the only attack that makes you survive against one AND multiple opponents.
    Taking this ability away means you kill the character.

PLEASE roll this back, seriously — this was a really bad idea.

Agreed, i was using Crystal blast to prevent enemies come too close to me and to quickly defeat pack of enemies in group dungeon (solo), and now if an enemy come too close i have no other solution than run away... I am trying to replace it with "lightning flood" but it is not the same, i have to stay in the area, or the enemy can move out of the aoe area...
    I really don't understand the utility behind this change (for a stamina ability)...
    they killed my favorite group dungeon ability for solo.
    Please roll it back...
    Edited by fced on September 3, 2020 5:05AM
    Options
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fced wrote: »
    Hi there,

###
    Crystal Blast (morph): This ability has been reworked into a Stamina morph, and renamed to Crystal Weapon. It is now an instant-cast ability that causes your next Light or Heavy Attack made within 4 seconds to deal additional damage, equal to the standard spammable amount such as Lava Whip or Veiled Strike. Enemies hit by this ability will their armor reduced by up to 1000.
    ###

Why the hack did you do that? The crystal Blast is the only meaningful attack for single player High Elves sorcerers.
    This is the only attack that makes you survive against one AND multiple opponents.

Agreed, i was using Crystal blast to prevent enemies come too close to me and to quickly defeat pack of enemies in group dungeon (solo), and now if an enemy come too close i have no other solution than run away... I am trying to replace it with "lightning flood" but it is not the same, i have to stay in the area, or the enemy can move out of the aoe area...
    I really don't understand the utility behind this change (for a stamina ability)...
    they killed my favorite group dungeon ability for solo.
    Please roll it back...

What I find works well is to crit surge, wade into the middle of a group of mobs (to pull the melee guys to the casters), drop lightening flood and then wall of elements at your feet, then streak out of the group of mobs to aoe stun them all, and turn around to weave force pulse with light attacks. Force pulse will split off to aoe any mobs with an elemental effect on them, and crit surge will heal any damage you took before you streak stunned them. The group of mobs should be dead by the time they recover from streak stun. Yes it's more buttons to press, but it's still easy and it works. You also have a ward, you don't have to run away.
    PC | EU
    Options
  • IBT3434
    IBT3434
    Hi there,

###
    ###

I totally Agree with this comment And I am infuriated with this Game change LVL 50 CP 200 now useless !!!!!!!!!! And NO DISRESPECT INTENTED BUT to all the other users making contrary comments about the CRYSTAL SHARD SKILL, unless you are MY Character and you are playing as me then Please do not assume that you KNOW it is a useless skill and not needed...Thank you, And to the powers that be PLEASE PLEASE roll this back AS SOON AS POSSIBLE , seriously — this was a really bad idea.

Options
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    At the end of the day, ZOS knows exactly how many players were using Crystal Blast and it was evidently not enough for them to maintain the morph.

Yes, it might have hurt your build but the game should be designed and balanced around what is best for the most players not what is best for a tiny minority who are playing the game in an unusual or eccentric style.
    Options
  • juliandracos
    juliandracos
    ✭✭
    At the end of the day, ZOS knows exactly how many players were using Crystal Blast and it was evidently not enough for them to maintain the morph.

Yes, it might have hurt your build but the game should be designed and balanced around what is best for the most players not what is best for a tiny minority who are playing the game in an unusual or eccentric style.

So based on your argument, then why have any ability choices at all? If we all have to use the same abilities because they are "the best" then we should get rid of choices at all.

It is likely that the deleted morph was one of the least used spells. However, there is no guarantee that the added ability is "best for the most players." Is this some awesome ability that is going to get people to change to stamina builds? Unlikely. In fact, the choice was likely made to help out that tiny amount of players who want a stamina build and weapons. You know, those who have an unusual or eccentric style that are in a tiny minority.

Instead of catering to the amorphous blob of commonality, how about ZOS realize that the best option is to create more options within a class instead of just swapping things around. Add a new ability with a couple of different morphs or create three morphs for current ones? That would make the most sense since it does not deny choice and caters to more players.
    Options
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

So based on your argument, then why have any ability choices at all? If we all have to use the same abilities because they are "the best" then we should get rid of choices at all.

It is likely that the deleted morph was one of the least used spells. However, there is no guarantee that the added ability is "best for the most players." Is this some awesome ability that is going to get people to change to stamina builds? Unlikely. In fact, the choice was likely made to help out that tiny amount of players who want a stamina build and weapons. You know, those who have an unusual or eccentric style that are in a tiny minority.

Instead of catering to the amorphous blob of commonality, how about ZOS realize that the best option is to create more options within a class instead of just swapping things around. Add a new ability with a couple of different morphs or create three morphs for current ones? That would make the most sense since it does not deny choice and caters to more players.

I'm all for having more options but until those are present it really is a zero-sum game between Magicka and Stamina Sorcerers.

MagSorcs already had nearly three quarters of all morphs from the class toolkit and it appears as though ZOS is attempting to bring some much-needed balance to that distribution.

And there are many, many more StamSorcs out there, many of whom would consider using Crystal Weapon as part of a standard PvE rotation or as a burst tool in PvP, than there are single-bar Crystal Blast users.
    Options
  • IBT3434
    IBT3434

And NO DISRESPECT INTENTED BUT to all the other users making contrary comments about the CRYSTAL SHARD SKILL, unless you are MY Character and you are playing as me then Please do not assume that you KNOW it is a useless skill and not needed...Thank you
    Options
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of people being really condescending towards Crystal Blast users in this thread. The worst part is that I'm pretty sure most of those people haven't actually tried the skill since 2016, and don't really know what they're talking about.
    Options
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Of course. Because it hasn't been useful since 2016. There was not a single argument for spending a slot for Crystal Blast in demanding content. And in non-demanding content, Elemental Ring and lightning heavies did the job better.
    Options
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of people being really condescending towards Crystal Blast users in this thread. The worst part is that I'm pretty sure most of those people haven't actually tried the skill since 2016, and don't really know what they're talking about.

I agree people have been condescending, but you also have to consider both ends of the spectrum. Stam sorc has needed some help for a long time and changing an under used morph to accommodate that was a good decision in my opinion.

[snip]

After 5+ years I’ve just learned to accept that my favorite class, skill, race, trait, gear, etc will probably get changed sometimes for no reason at all.

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on September 4, 2020 1:54PM
    Options
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course. Because it hasn't been useful since 2016. There was not a single argument for spending a slot for Crystal Blast in demanding content. And in non-demanding content, Elemental Ring and lightning heavies did the job better.

I've said it before, but apparently it needs repeating. Crystal Blast was undisputably better than Elemental Ring.

1) It cost less.
    2) It dealt twice as much damage (not an exaggeration).
    3) It included a stun.
    4) It proced Blood Magic and Exploitation.
    4) It had a 28m range.

Literally the only advantage Elemental Ring has is being instant-cast, which doesn't really matter in any content where you would actually consider using Elemental Ring (which actually is terrible).

If you actually paid attention to all of the rebalancing over the years, you would know that Crystal Blast has become one of the most powerful AoE skills in the entire game because it hasn't been nerfed like everything else. Unfortunately, most people didn't pay attention because they were so obsessed with the single-target effectiveness of Crystal Frags.
    Options
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I've said it before, but apparently it needs repeating. Crystal Blast was undisputably better than Elemental Ring.

1) It cost less.
    3) It included a stun.
    4) It had a 28m range.

Literally the only advantage Elemental Ring has is being instant-cast, which doesn't really matter in any content where you would actually consider using Elemental Ring (which actually is terrible).

If you actually paid attention to all of the rebalancing over the years, you would know that Crystal Blast has become one of the most powerful AoE skills in the entire game because it hasn't been nerfed like everything else. Unfortunately, most people didn't pay attention because they were so obsessed with the single-target effectiveness of Crystal Frags.

1. Destro skills give you magicka back for killing stuff. Lightning heavies are free and return magicka.
    2. But it was slower. If I'm already oneshotting stuff, might as well do it with a faster skill.
    3. Irrelevant for trash mobs. Don't need to stun that which dies immediately.
    4. Need no heal, need no crit. Stuff dies in one cast, anyway. But Pulsar does have Mangle.
    5. Trash comes to you, anyway. Don't need range for that. New Ele Ring does have range, though.

But the most important point is that Crystal Blast just didn't fill a particular role. No need for a class AoE spammable when staves have it. Stamsorcs on the other hand really have almost nothing. Therefore magsorcs lose basically nothing while stamsorcs gain a potential spammable. That's a good trade.
    Options
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1) It cost less.
    3) It included a stun.
    4) It had a 28m range.

1. Destro skills give you magicka back for killing stuff. Lightning heavies are free and return magicka.
    2. But it was slower. If I'm already oneshotting stuff, might as well do it with a faster skill.
    3. Irrelevant for trash mobs. Don't need to stun that which dies immediately.
    4. Need no heal, need no crit. Stuff dies in one cast, anyway. But Pulsar does have Mangle.
    5. Trash comes to you, anyway. Don't need range for that. New Ele Ring does have range, though.

But the most important point is that Crystal Blast just didn't fill a particular role. No need for a class AoE spammable when staves have it. Stamsorcs on the other hand really have almost nothing. Therefore magsorcs lose basically nothing while stamsorcs gain a potential spammable. That's a good trade.

If you're unbuffed one-shotting stuff with Elemental Ring you're running a very different setup from me.

Also, if we want to play the "it's useless because you can get a vaguely similar capability elsewhere" game we could probably get rid of 90% of the class skills in ESO, and Crystal Weapon isn't exactly a step in the right direction (being almost identical to Crushing Weapon, and a stamina spammable, which you can get from any weapon skill line).
    Options