Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

DK Fossilize, the next cc that needs to Die

• Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artemiisia wrote: »
    Well since you guys killed the rune cage, then its time to kill fossilize also

this skill requires two skills to counter, no other skill do that

time to nerf this also

Please don't even start... There wasn't anything wrong with Rune Cage, but people who don't know how to counter it relentlessly weeped about it on the forums until it was nerfed. This happens literally every single update. And what happens when something is then nerfed by popular demand? The cry-bullies find a new target. And another. And another. Until the entire game consists of characters with nothing but their fists, no abilities, and everyone is only allowed to light attack each other. All in the name of balance. The worst part is that, most of the time, what people complain about isn't actually as big of a problem as other things. For example, Steel Tornado has been overperfoming like crazy since it became undodgeable, but you don't really hear many people cry about it, despite it being one of the strongest skills in PvP at the moment. The amount of Dawnbreaker + Steel Tornado builds in existence should be a very obvious sign that it might need a tweak. But no, people complain about stuns, because they can't break free or don't know how to setup their builds to have enough stam, etc.

Just look at all the various complaints people had about Rune Cage. I saw maybe 10 different reasons, and rarely the same one twice in a row. People just wanted it nerfed, but most didn't even really understand why it had to be nerfed, at least not enough to properly explain it. Meanwhile, ZOS rewards this kind of behaviour on the forum by consistently giving in to the outrage.

Also, following the Wolfhunter update, werewolf builds have become ridiculously strong, with builds allowing for extremely high dps from only light attacking. This was supposedly nerfed after concerns were raised during the PTS cycle, but it's quite clearly still overperforming. It doesn't affect PvP really, so nobody seems to care that it's breaking the balance and removing all skill barriers from PvE stamina dps...

Like the Sorcerer, DKs currently require a certain know-how to play, but people still want to nerf these skill-based classes, despite things like Nightblades reigning surpreme, and the supposed "nerfs" to this class being borderline *** in terms of implementation. Like for example, what did ZOS do about the incap? They raised its cost by 30 for the stun, effectively achieving nothing. But no, you're right, let's focus on the classes that have already been nerfed a lot. Why don't we just remove all other classes than nightblade. Maybe then the nerf train would halt, though probably not.

I don't think there's anything wrong with nerfing abilities and such, but it has to be warranted. I don't think nerfing skills for the sake of nerfing is very smart, and it just feeds the toxic part of this game's community, who get some twisted joy out of complaining. You can't satisfy people like that, and giving in to them is only enabling their bad behaviour.
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was fine when they nerf rune cage to 3.5sec and made them dodgeble, now this extra nerf they decided to do making it only 2sec, is uncalled for and totally unnecessary since, its so easy to break free from it, if you out of stamnia in my opnion when you get hit by the rune cage, you deserve a punishment which is brings. And you dont suffer any damage at all from it if you break free, which means sorcs wasted the magicka it cost to cast it

Fossilize, has immobilizing, stun, damage over time, roots and longer cc time than any other cc ingame, this needs a fix, and fast

and again it dont matter its a melee skill, since you wont cast it anyways if it was range, unless you are magicka DK, otherwise DKs has the best gap closer in the game chains, that dont cost anything if it dont work, givin you using the right morph of it.

Its not even about rune cage, tell me about any other cc ingame thats this strong now as DKs Fossilize, there is non that even comes close to it, in any classes, world skills and so on

• GawdSB
    GawdSB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You salty sorcs still don't understand balancing. You think "hur our my OP skill got nerfed, so the other class surely is OP for having a skill like it"

No, start using your brains... Let's compare these two classes.

Shield stacking? DKs have this? Oh no that's a sorc thing.
    Execute (that goes off automatically)? Oh would you looky there, DKs don't have an execute in sight.
    Mobility? Oh, silly me DKs don't even know what mobility is such a slow and clunky class.
    Delayed and timed burst that can instakill the exact instance a rune cage is set? You guessed it, nope Dks don't have that either.

So, stop crying. Without fossilize DKs which are already always getting nerfed and has been mid to bottom tier for some time now in PVP would be exceptionally worst off than Sorcs are now. If you want to base DKs skills off other classes, give us an execute, and all the extra special stuff that comes along with using the other classes. :smile:

Oh and rune cage could stun you and have a sorc kill you from half way across the map. That's not happing with a dk.
    Edited by GawdSB on August 20, 2018 4:13PM
  • vometia
    vometia
    ✭✭✭
    DKs are already seemingly by far the least fun class to play. I'm not sure it can survive any more nerfing.

What is it with all the "nerf this! nerf that! nerf everything!" anyway? I've seen it on a number of games now and don't get it. Curiously, the bulk of it also seems to come from a particular group of MP types who say the game is too easy but seem to want their opponents to be hobbled.
    Edited by vometia on August 20, 2018 4:13PM
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »
    Fossilized does damage, stuns you, roots you, can’t be blocked.

But it’s working as intended.

Lulz.

I mean that's exactly what the tooltip says, what's your point? You want to further gimp one of the least-used, least effective PvP classes out there?

Thats the problem, the tool tip did say many things on rune cage too, they removed 90% of it

now its time for DKs fossilize to get same treatment, since its the hardest hitting cc in the game now, and the cc that requires most resources to get away from

My Templars would love to have your so called nerfed Rune Cage.

[Edit for bait]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on August 20, 2018 5:37PM
  • crazy_catman21
    crazy_catman21
    ✭✭✭
    Dodgeable fossilize? :smile:
  • Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
    I was fine when they nerf rune cage to 3.5sec and made them dodgeble, now this extra nerf they decided to do making it only 2sec, is uncalled for and totally unnecessary since, its so easy to break free from it, if you out of stamnia in my opnion when you get hit by the rune cage, you deserve a punishment which is brings. And you dont suffer any damage at all from it if you break free, which means sorcs wasted the magicka it cost to cast it

Fossilize, has immobilizing, stun, damage over time, roots and longer cc time than any other cc ingame, this needs a fix, and fast

and again it dont matter its a melee skill, since you wont cast it anyways if it was range, unless you are magicka DK, otherwise DKs has the best gap closer in the game chains, that dont cost anything if it dont work, givin you using the right morph of it.

Its not even about rune cage, tell me about any other cc ingame thats this strong now as DKs Fossilize, there is non that even comes close to it, in any classes, world skills and so on

No sorc is casting Rune Cage for the damage, that's just ridiculous. It's not "wasted magicka" if it doesn't do damage because the point of the skill is the hard CC stun. A good sorc can utilize that to help with their burst combo. A bad sorc will rely on the pitiful damage from Rune Cage and cry when it doesn't work.

You said immobilizing, and roots when describing Fossilize. That's the same thing. Stop trying to make the skill look like it's overperforming by exaggerating your BS. Also, it does not have damage over time. Just an instant cast damage that is very low. The duration of the CC is mostly irrelevant because a good player will break free instead of waiting for it to end. A bad player (or a player who is out of stamina, or who is just a tank) will allow the CC duration to end on any skill, but for most people, that spells certain death if you get CC'd by anyone who knows what they're doing.

Chains is the best gap closer in the game? Really? Do we even play the same game? The damage tied to chains is negligible, the only benefit it really has is empower (two stronger light attacks), and Major Expedition (the only skill besides rapids or accelerate that DKs can use for that buff, mind you). It certainly isn't useful, but the 1h&shield gap closer stuns the target. 2h gap closer always deals critical damage. And chains makes two light attacks 20% stronger? Weak. Don't pretend it's an amazing skill, it's ok at best. The free cost morph is garbage and nobody runs it offensively since most players can be pulled most of the time.

Fossilize is the strongest CC in the game, I will give you that. It's hard to deny that a skill that stuns, immobilizes, and deals damage isn't strong. But it doesn't need a nerf. It's pretty much the only skill that makes DKs able to still stand a chance in PvP. Without it, we'd be casting weak DOTs on people who would just be purging us nonstop, and we'd be trying to land whips that would always get dodged. Leap is another good skill DKs have, but that's really it for PvP.

But just because one class has the strongest something in the game, does that mean it should go away? Sorcs have the strongest shields in the game, are you willing to give that up? Sorcs have one of the strongest mobility skills in the game, should we get rid of streak? Bow has the strongest long range burst attack, should we get rid of snipe? Dual wield has one of the strongest spammable AoE undodgeable executes in the game, time to say bye-bye to steel tornado? Night blades have one of the cheapest and strongest long-range executes in the game, are you prepared to nerf killer's blade?

Just because a skill is good doesn't mean it needs to be nerfed or removed. It just means you need to learn to play to counter it.
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No sorc is casting Rune Cage for the damage, that's just ridiculous. It's not "wasted magicka" if it doesn't do damage because the point of the skill is the hard CC stun. A good sorc can utilize that to help with their burst combo. A bad sorc will rely on the pitiful damage from Rune Cage and cry when it doesn't work.

You said immobilizing, and roots when describing Fossilize. That's the same thing. Stop trying to make the skill look like it's overperforming by exaggerating your BS. Also, it does not have damage over time. Just an instant cast damage that is very low. The duration of the CC is mostly irrelevant because a good player will break free instead of waiting for it to end. A bad player (or a player who is out of stamina, or who is just a tank) will allow the CC duration to end on any skill, but for most people, that spells certain death if you get CC'd by anyone who knows what they're doing.

Chains is the best gap closer in the game? Really? Do we even play the same game? The damage tied to chains is negligible, the only benefit it really has is empower (two stronger light attacks), and Major Expedition (the only skill besides rapids or accelerate that DKs can use for that buff, mind you). It certainly isn't useful, but the 1h&shield gap closer stuns the target. 2h gap closer always deals critical damage. And chains makes two light attacks 20% stronger? Weak. Don't pretend it's an amazing skill, it's ok at best. The free cost morph is garbage and nobody runs it offensively since most players can be pulled most of the time.

Fossilize is the strongest CC in the game, I will give you that. It's hard to deny that a skill that stuns, immobilizes, and deals damage isn't strong. But it doesn't need a nerf. It's pretty much the only skill that makes DKs able to still stand a chance in PvP. Without it, we'd be casting weak DOTs on people who would just be purging us nonstop, and we'd be trying to land whips that would always get dodged. Leap is another good skill DKs have, but that's really it for PvP.

But just because one class has the strongest something in the game, does that mean it should go away? Sorcs have the strongest shields in the game, are you willing to give that up? Sorcs have one of the strongest mobility skills in the game, should we get rid of streak? Bow has the strongest long range burst attack, should we get rid of snipe? Dual wield has one of the strongest spammable AoE undodgeable executes in the game, time to say bye-bye to steel tornado? Night blades have one of the cheapest and strongest long-range executes in the game, are you prepared to nerf killer's blade?

Just because a skill is good doesn't mean it needs to be nerfed or removed. It just means you need to learn to play to counter it.

to sum this up, why didnt you just learn to counter rune cage
  • Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO

Because break free was broken. Even with full stam, it was not always possible to break through, making you a target dummy for a sorc's burst combo.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Because there is no counter. Or, rather, was no counter. It was a 36+ meter hard CC that ignored block and couldn't be dodged, that had a buggy break free more or less guaranteeing the CC ran its full course, that synergised incredibly well with Sorc's already very strong kit, but ultimately isn't necessary for Sorc to be effective.

Fossilize is the same, except it has an 8 meter range instead of a 36+ meter range, the break free actually works (at least every time I've used it, my target has broken out of it immediately), and it less synergises with the kit, more is downright required for the Magicka DK kit to actually be effective. Stamina DK can deal with not running Fossilize, as there are other CC's, but Fossilize is far better than Dizzying Swing, the main CC you'll use as a stamina DPS, as it actually works instead of me swinging my axe around with the game yelling "target is out of range".
    Edited by jcm2606 on August 20, 2018 4:34PM
  • SilverPaws
    SilverPaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broken rune cage got fixed and you came here to call for nerfs on dks ?
    If you have trouble with dks on mag sorc then it's just l2p issue.
  • Kalitas
    Kalitas
    ✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    Fossilize being unblockable and undodgeable is fine. What's not fine is the immobilization attached to it, especially vs. magicka chars. But well, it's not a Sorc skill, so people will say it's absolutely ok.

DKs don’t have the insane burst from range that MagSorcs do. DKs don’t even have a class based execute. Sure you can time leap for your “execute” but battle roar is also dk sustain. You have to fire your leaps. DKs are fine the way they are. Fossilize is fine the way it is. Give frags it’s stun back so all the magsorcs quit crying. Please.
    @Kevin-G | Ajani | Wü-Tang Clan
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SilverPaws wrote: »

It did get fixed in Wolfhunter dlc update, but the extra nerf from 3.5 sec to 2 sec is overkill
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kalitas wrote: »
    Feanor wrote: »
    Fossilize being unblockable and undodgeable is fine. What's not fine is the immobilization attached to it, especially vs. magicka chars. But well, it's not a Sorc skill, so people will say it's absolutely ok.

DKs don’t have the insane burst from range that MagSorcs do. DKs don’t even have a class based execute. Sure you can time leap for your “execute” but battle roar is also dk sustain. You have to fire your leaps. DKs are fine the way they are. Fossilize is fine the way it is. Give frags it’s stun back so all the magsorcs quit crying. Please.

if frags got its stun back, then im all fine with rune cage, since frags are still dodagable
  • SilverPaws
    SilverPaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SilverPaws wrote: »

It did get fixed in Wolfhunter dlc update, but the extra nerf from 3.5 sec to 2 sec is overkill

Well didn't knew that haha, but still i don't get why you want to nerf fossilize that is perfectly fine. More nerfs won't solve anything.. Dks are already enough gutted class.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »
    Stop with the nerfs. Stop crying because Sorc had a broken tool within its kit nerfed, the rest of your kit remains one of the strongest, if not the strongest in the game.

DK needs some form of hard CC to be effective. Sorc really doesn't, soft CC can do.

Got a little hung up on the "sorcs can do with soft cc" part. Soft CC like Snares and even roots won't do anything to let them land their burst. Pulse/clench/Frags/Meteor can be blocked, all of these but the ultimate (+ wrath) can also be dodged. Plus besides that there is no snare in sorcs toolkit, Encase's root won't do anything to get their highly telegraphed burst through.

That's why they struggle against tanky opponents and permadodgers. But other than that, yes, rune cage needed counterplay because of the ability to land delayed, layered burst.

Which is ironic because without a way to ensure this burst sorcs are hardly more than a noob-canon. Leaves me with the impression that rune cage cannot be balanced for both sides and that the class is in dire need of a rework.
  • Finviuswe
    Finviuswe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fossilize could be dodgeable, just like how rune cage is dodgeable but rune cage now is a shadow of its former self, it was made to be dodgeable which sort of killed the whole undodgeable / unblockable cc thing for sorcs which was supposd to replace the cc from frags.

So now sorcs are left without a good cc. And frankly reach play is obnoxious
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »
    Stop with the nerfs. Stop crying because Sorc had a broken tool within its kit nerfed, the rest of your kit remains one of the strongest, if not the strongest in the game.

DK needs some form of hard CC to be effective. Sorc really doesn't, soft CC can do.

Got a little hung up on the "sorcs can do with soft cc" part. Soft CC like Snares and even roots won't do anything to let them land their burst. Pulse/clench/Frags/Meteor can be blocked, all of these but the ultimate (+ wrath) can also be dodged. Plus besides that there is no snare in sorcs toolkit, Encase's root won't do anything to get their highly telegraphed burst through.

That's why they struggle against tanky opponents and permadodgers. But other than that, yes, rune cage needed counterplay because of the ability to land delayed, layered burst.

Which is ironic because without a way to ensure this burst sorcs are hardly more than a noob-canon. Leaves me with the impression that rune cage cannot be balanced for both sides and that the class is in dire need of a rework.

Most logical argument I've seen on this subject to date. +1 awesome.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• The_Brosteen
    The_Brosteen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lulz.

Where have you and everyone else been for the past forever that fossilize has existed. Why are people coming out of the woodwork now to say its broken?

People just like to complain about what shows up on their death recap, because people need dragons to slay.
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frags need to be reverted to what they used to be. Like, immediately.
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes we need that stun back - so stupid that they ever changed it.
  • Finviuswe
    Finviuswe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Potenza wrote: »

The stun was very pivotal for the sorc class it was something that set up a lot of ther kills.

It wasn't overperforming, it didn't necessarily need to be nerfed but it was. Unfortunately, ZOS does not usually revert their nerfs.

But the forum outcry caused it to be nerfed.

And then they gave rune cage a buff which I was in support of and I probably preferred that compared to when frags was the main cc. Rune cage still required skillful play to pull off even when it was undodgeable.

The fact that the rune cage+meteor combo is executed in the opposite order makes it a bit trickier to pull off than you might expect.

It seems a lot of sorcs do want the old frags back, and it's not an idea I oppose.

• LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Potenza wrote: »

Stun & damage. There was absolutely no reason to take that away in the first place. Look at assassin's will now, magblades are shooting it left & right and doing tons of damage easy.
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lulz.

Where have you and everyone else been for the past forever that fossilize has existed. Why are people coming out of the woodwork now to say its broken?

People just like to complain about what shows up on their death recap, because people need dragons to slay.

People got micro-focused on sorcs skills and got them nerfed - now we going to start micro-focusing on other class abilities too. See what was started? Should have left sorcs alone.
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sure. Let ZOS nerf Fossilize just like Rune Cage. Then they can give mDKs a double execute like Sorcs. ;)
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

Recently we've had to remove a few posts for some baiting and non-constructive content, which is against the Forum Rules. For further posts please be sure to stay on topic and constructive to avoid action on one's own account. Also, with this thread being more PvP focused we've gone ahead and moved it to the PvP Combat & Skills section of the forums.

Thank you for understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »
    They should have just made rune cage a 8m cast range like fossilize imo...

That would be the dumbest thing ever. Sorcs are a ranged class and everything in their toolkit is ranged, so a 8m cast would be pointless. DKs on the other hand are a melee class, and have access to chains and gap closers to fight against ranged players.
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GawdSB wrote: »
    You salty sorcs still don't understand balancing. You think "hur our my OP skill got nerfed, so the other class surely is OP for having a skill like it"

Execute (that goes off automatically)? Oh would you looky there, DKs don't have an execute in sight.
    Mobility? Oh, silly me DKs don't even know what mobility is such a slow and clunky class.
    Delayed and timed burst that can instakill the exact instance a rune cage is set? You guessed it, nope Dks don't have that either.

So, stop crying. Without fossilize DKs which are already always getting nerfed and has been mid to bottom tier for some time now in PVP would be exceptionally worst off than Sorcs are now. If you want to base DKs skills off other classes, give us an execute, and all the extra special stuff that comes along with using the other classes. :smile:

Oh and rune cage could stun you and have a sorc kill you from half way across the map. That's not happing with a dk.

DKs can shield stack if they want to. Harness magicka AND Healing ward are both available to DKs. Sorcs need to shield stack as they will die in 2 hits otherwise. DKs do not, and are tanky enough just from class abilities. They don't need burst or an execute with the insane damage numbers they can pull. If there is a decent DK in your BG match, you can basically guarantee they will be top of the scoreboard damage wise. Plus, they have wings which fully counters a lot of ranged builds.
  • Thrain
    Thrain
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AntonioP

Why did you remove my Bilbo? :'(
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Urvoth wrote: »
    GawdSB wrote: »

DKs can shield stack if they want to. Harness magicka AND Healing ward are both available to DKs. Sorcs need to shield stack as they will die in 2 hits otherwise. DKs do not, and are tanky enough just from class abilities. They don't need burst or an execute with the insane damage numbers they can pull. If there is a decent DK in your BG match, you can basically guarantee they will be top of the scoreboard damage wise. Plus, they have wings which fully counters a lot of ranged builds.

what a load of bull

OP please L2P if you died to dk while on magsorc just go delete your character kthx
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
This discussion has been closed.